F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F31 335d using oil?
ARMA SPEED

12-08-2019, 06:30 AM   #1
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

F31 335d using oil?

Hi All,

I have a 2014 F31 335d owned from new now with almost 120k miles, It has a 'forum' spec so the cost of the options was more than the car is worth now.

The car flashed up a low oil light last week, it was down at the min level. I had an emergency litre of oil and which brought it to the max level.

The car has been using 15-20% more fuel over the last two weeks, I had noticed this but was thinking maybe a combination of change to winter wheels, cold weather slightly different use?

I kept a very close watch on the oil level and in two days 150 miles it was 3/4 way down the dipstick (both electronic and physical). It was definitely using more fuel both measured in car and own calculations. Long term average was at 41, with very little town driving could get up to 45 on a long trip.

It seems slower to pick up, and getting less than 35 mpg

But the oil level has now returned to the max level??? (I double checked when it dropped to 3/4)

It has a FBMWSH with some additional 10k oil changes, the last service was 8k miles ago.
no warning lights
Never used any oil between services,
Never mapped
Always allowed to warm up and easy last few miles before destination
No sign of leaks
had EGR recall but missed the free EGR just had cooler replaced

Differential diagnosis?

Small turbo? DPF involved?

Car has comprehensive BMW warranty and is booked in this week.

Will they try to tell me that all is within normal parameters?

current personal issues make a change of car impossible unless it costs less than 2k!!!

(but hope to have a M340d)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:36 AM   #2
muffking
Regular user
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330D M-Sport Auto

Garage List
My 2013 330D used around 1 litre every 3-4 weeks and yes you've guessed it, BMW thought it was in tolerance. I ended up bulk buying oil when ECP had a deal on. Although the car caught fire within a year and burned out, not because of of the oil though...
      12-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Have you had it on a long run, more than 30 mins, recently? It may be needing / trying to regen the DPF.
Regen burns more fuel while it's doing it, failed regens result in unburnt diesel going past the piston rings and ending up in the engine oil. If this happens, your oil level goes up, which I believe you have mentioned. Volvo had a BIG problem with this a few years ago.

If possible I'd get yourself on the motorway and drive at a steady 60+ for as long as you can be bothered, but an hour should be good. This will give it chance to initiate a regen and have plenty of time for it to complete. If it's been trying for a while it may take longer than usual to complete. you don't need to thrash the car or sit in a lower gear, just drive at normal motorway speeds and it'll do it's thing.

Worth a try for a few gallons of diesel.... good luck.
      12-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
AntF32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive - Carbon Black

What TiredGeek said. It may need an Italian tune up to force a DPF regen.

Couple of questions.
From cold is there any smoke from the exhaust, is it blue?
Any sign of oil in the coolant?
Does the turbo whistle at all?
Appreciate 1
V330d24.50
      12-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

The oil doesn't sound an issue. Are you checking it with car car in exactly the same place and same duration after stopping the engine? The must be checked on the flat for an accurate reading.

Sounds like you could have small turbo boost leak. Hopefully the dealer will do a smoke test.
Appreciate 1
V330d24.50
      12-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
V330d
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for feedback,

regular commute is just over one hour all b roads longer run every couple of weeks cruise at 80+ depending on availability of audi to follow.

no smoke

oil checked in same level place,
something has changed, suspect small turbo also but can't explain how oil level went up, hoped my car was immune from DPF diesel adding
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 05:44 AM   #7
V330d
Private First Class
Rep

car going in to BMW tomorrow, I have no other option.

I thought I got a diesel wiff from the dipstick yesterday but a burnt smell from the filler cap.?

I'll post their findings whenever I know.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 07:32 AM   #8
V330d
Private First Class
Rep

Hi All,

Just to follow up on this, a bit late but still no final resolution!
Car spent best part of a week in dealership,
they discovered coked up intake manifold and oil leak at the rear of the rocker cover. BMW UK covered decoke cost. Warranty covered rocker cover cost (paid warranty excess)
I got tech to take car home to try to replicate the egr fault that I suspected even though the egr had passed their tests, he agreed after driving so got new egr valve also. Car serviced and given back.
running as good as new! hesitation on lift off gone MPG average over 40, 44-45 on a good run.

BUT needing litre of oil after 4k miles
THEN another litre at further 3k miles.
still going well and sounds sweet.

I can feel a slight roughness in oil on underside of cap.

Comprehensive warranty up at on the 20th and afterwards only drivetrian warranty for the same cost but with a 5k claim limit, so basically 50% of the cost of an engine!!

I'm not doing as many miles now! and dealership closed. In normal times I'd have covered at least 7k additional miles and may have been down to a litre for 1k miles that could not be dismissed as being within a normal tolerance.

I plan to try to call BMW UK tomorrow.

Any advice? ask for comprehensive extension? say the fault reported last year hasn't been addressed correctly?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 07:43 AM   #9
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Unfortunately, some oil usage would be 'within tolerances', especially for a car with over 100k on the clock. Whilst it 'might' have used more, you can't show that, so it's speculation. They could equally well turn around and say that it 'might' have used none whatsoever

It would be up to you to show that the 'fault' remains.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

If the oil consumption is really bad, (outside the BMW tolerance which is very wide), the oil consumption has to be checked. Typically there will be a specific test regime with measured oil consumption vs. mileage.

We went through this in the family with a VW engine. Oil fill was measured, 1,000kms driven and then oil drained and measured.

Remember you'll come up with something like the following quoted at you, for your engine.

Quote:
Note:
For BMW petrol and diesel engines, a maximum oil consumption of 0.7 l/1000 km is permissible.
Also remember it may not be a simple "engine burns oil" issue, could be something like malfunction with the crankcase ventilation. I say this, as you have clearly had excess carbon issues, evidence in requiring a decoke. Equally, the carbon could have done more damage to the internal parts.
Appreciate 1
V330d24.50
      05-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #11
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by V330d View Post

BUT needing litre of oil after 4k miles
THEN another litre at further 3k miles.
still going well and sounds sweet.

I plan to try to call BMW UK tomorrow.

Any advice? ask for comprehensive extension? say the fault reported last year hasn't been addressed correctly?

I wouldn’t say a Litre of oil every 3 or 4K miles on a car with 120k miles on it is particularly unusual. If it’s running sweet I wouldn’t worry. Just keep an eye on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
On my last diesel (e91, 320d) I never needed to top up the oil and the car had 200k miles on it. Admittedly it did have a new crankshaft due to the notorious timing chain issue, but that was the only major internal part replaced. I did have it decoked at 140k odd miles and it got regular long distance use. Usually did about 8k miles between services.

Current 335d is on about 104k miles and obviously usage has dropped the last couple of months, will have to see how it pans out but so far I've not needed to top up between services.
      05-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #13
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
On my last diesel (e91, 320d) I never needed to top up the oil and the car had 200k miles on it. Admittedly it did have a new crankshaft due to the notorious timing chain issue, but that was the only major internal part replaced. I did have it decoked at 140k odd miles and it got regular long distance use. Usually did about 8k miles between services.

Current 335d is on about 104k miles and obviously usage has dropped the last couple of months, will have to see how it pans out but so far I've not needed to top up between services.
For comparison My old E90 320d that was remapped and thrashed a bit quite regularly went through a litre of oil roughly every 5 or 6k miles. It never got any worse though over the 4 years I owned it and the engine never missed a beat or gave me any repair bills. It had a little over 100k miles on it when I traded it in.

Never had to top up my current car between oil services though.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

V330d, the oil must be still be going somewhere. The only question is where.

Did the dealer perform a compression and leak down test? At 120K miles, it would make sense.
Appreciate 1
V330d24.50
      05-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #15
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

My thoughts on this are, you said that the oil usage is high so it wasn't before so you are noticing it now and you are using more oil. You say the dealer said the inlet manifold was choked up. The holes in the inlet are quite large, did you see the head when it was removed?.
If the manifold is choked up as they say then something has choked it up not a normal complaint for BMW,s .
The oil can only go in three places,

1 External however at that rate you would see the oil
2 Into the water you would see this as it would emulsify and would easily been seen by BMW.
3 Out through the exhaust. Blocked breathers too much backpressure in exhaust a reading must be taken before the CAT and after the CAT to check differential in pressure.
Scraper ring could be worn allowing to get past and then burnt on top of the pistons normally seen by blue smoke from exhaust. Turbo seals u/s. etc
Either way I would get BMW to check this out and log that it is being a problem before the service/warranty schedule runs out.
Good luck with your quest as I think BMW will say its wear and tear but have a go at them anyway and ask if this is a problem all BMW,s face at 100,000 mile I think not.
Appreciate 1
V330d24.50
      05-15-2020, 04:33 AM   #16
V330d
Private First Class
Rep

many thanks for all thoughts,

There are no leaks.
Car used no oil up to 112k miles then a litre after 8k then 4k then another litre at less than 3k miles.

There is a fault likely connected to coking issue which may be connected to long term EGR valve malfunction and to the inlet manifold issue.

I still have the comprehensive warranty and have already paid the excess to investigate the oil use issue.

I have made contact with BMW UK and have booked the car in next week.

hopefully a further strip down can be authorised, as above the oil breather system may be also gummed up.

and maybe I'll get a decent loan car!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:37 PM   #17
V330d
Private First Class
Rep

further installment!

car checked last week at dealership oil topped up mileage recorded and instructed to return in 500 miles to review, referred to 0.7l per 1000k as being limit for investigation as mentioned by H Pete.
400 miles later back at low oil level, so now using double the investigation limit.

what now? car still feels that it's running ok. With no leak there must be significant engine wear.?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #18
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
further installment!

car checked last week at dealership oil topped up mileage recorded and instructed to return in 500 miles to review, referred to 0.7l per 1000k as being limit for investigation as mentioned by H Pete.
400 miles later back at low oil level, so now using double the investigation limit.

what now? car still feels that it's running ok. With no leak there must be significant engine wear.?
Has the garage suggested what is wrong?

Three common causes:

Pistons/piston rings
Valve stem seals
Crankcase ventilation
Appreciate 1
V330d24.50
      05-29-2020, 01:57 AM   #19
V330d
Private First Class
Rep

Has the garage suggested what is wrong?

Three common causes:

Pistons/piston rings
Valve stem seals
Crankcase ventilation[/QUOTE]

very little feedback other than they couldn't establish any fault and couldn't determine if it was actually using any oil. I mentioned the ventilation, I remember issues on older 30ds.
They checked the DPF pressures which were ok.
Is there any non invasive way of checking valve stem seals or pistons.
it's going back today, there is a suggestion that a tech will drive the car to also assess consumption.
It depends on what BMW and the warranty will now approve.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 02:41 AM   #20
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

The best non invasive way to tell if you're getting blow by is probably just taking your oil cap off. The cap should be gently sucking in air, but if you see vapour coming out, it means the CCV can't cope. Try it when revving.

You could also clean your exhaust and go for a drive to see if there's any residue on it.

I assume you've checked your parking space under the car for leaks? The undertrays will cause an issue but I assume the techs will have checked the trays for dripped oil.
Appreciate 1
V330d24.50
      08-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #21
Bmw435dchester
335d individual e92
England
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435d f32 msport xdrive

Quote:
Hi All,

I have a 2014 F31 335d owned from new now with almost 120k miles, It has a 'forum' spec so the cost of the options was more than the car is worth now.

The car flashed up a low oil light last week, it was down at the min level. I had an emergency litre of oil and which brought it to the max level.

The car has been using 15-20% more fuel over the last two weeks, I had noticed this but was thinking maybe a combination of change to winter wheels, cold weather slightly different use?

I kept a very close watch on the oil level and in two days 150 miles it was 3/4 way down the dipstick (both electronic and physical). It was definitely using more fuel both measured in car and own calculations. Long term average was at 41, with very little town driving could get up to 45 on a long trip.

It seems slower to pick up, and getting less than 35 mpg

But the oil level has now returned to the max level??? (I double checked when it dropped to 3/4)

It has a FBMWSH with some additional 10k oil changes, the last service was 8k miles ago.
no warning lights
Never used any oil between services,
Never mapped
Always allowed to warm up and easy last few miles before destination
No sign of leaks
had EGR recall but missed the free EGR just had cooler replaced

Differential diagnosis?

Small turbo? DPF involved?

Car has comprehensive BMW warranty and is booked in this week.

Will they try to tell me that all is within normal parameters?

current personal issues make a change of car impossible unless it costs less than 2k!!!

(but hope to have a M340d)
Any news? Mines suffering high consumption, i am having the timing chain changed.for preventative measures, and im going to change both turbos, oil consumption is 1000 miles 1 litre easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #22
TufftyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 335dxM Shaddow

The voice of experience

Hi everyone, i hope my experience - whilst not good - might help you.

I bought a brand new F30 335d xdrive in september 2013 from a local BMW dealer. I do around 30-35k a year. It was serviced by the dealer regularly. It used no oil until BMW changed a few parts under warranty at around 90k.

Out of interest (see below) the intake manifold was replaced as a small oil leak around the swirl flap actuator gunged it up.

After the work it was Using 1l/3k oil. I told the garage I thought this was odd and they gave me the usual bluff that up to 1l/1k is OK. I said fine but would they like to check on the ramp as it was a new issue after their works. They gave it a quick visual for free and said it was fine. I MADE SURE THEY RECORDED MY COMPLAINT IN THE CAR’S HISTORY.

I took out the extended warranty just before it ticked over 100k. I cannot remember if this was before or after the 3y mark, I think before as I would have been on about 90k but either way I had the top level of cover for a further 12m. I think I had a diff go and used it once but just kept pouring oil in.

The car started getting a little smokey, you could only really see this at night in the headlights of the car behind. I decided that I would get the next major service done at a trusted independent garage.

The extended warranty came up for renewal and I paid up but was now on the lowest level because the car had over 100k on it.

I took the car to the other garage and whilst there the engine failed catastrophically. A main bearing had failed and there was shattered metal throughout the oil system. The area of the failure showed signs of blueing where it had got so hot. Remember, I kept topping the oil up.

BMW recovered the car, took a look at the engine, approved the insured warranty claim and said that gave me £5k off the bill to replace the whole lot....£21k. Clearly, even I had £16k on me, I wasn’t going to spend it on a new engine for a car 4yo and 120k on the clock.

I reminded the dealer of the notes and asked them to approach BWM UK on my behalf. BMW UK offered me £3k towards a new engine or £10k towards a new car.

I took the £10k, ordered a new one, fitted a refurbed engine to the old car and sold it to WBAC. In all, I broke even but it was a lot of hassle.

So, I bought another 335d xdrive of course! Car has 85k on it and has recently started to drink oil at around 1l/3k. I mentioned this to the dealer - let’s just say they all recognise me in there - and they said they’d check it out. It went in for a general warranty check and they found a few issues. It’s had a new intake manifold for the same issue as before. Still appears to be drinking oil. I will continue to point this out them at every service. Should have another 35k or so before the engine explodes.

Be time for a new one by then anyway.
Good luck,
Dave
Appreciate 2
V330d24.50
KRS_SN13106.00