F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > F30 328i noisy engine, especially cold start
Extreme Powerhouse

09-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #1
F30lancs
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i msport

F30 328i noisy engine, especially cold start

Hey guys. New member here so go easy if this is repetition took delivery of my 2013 f30 328i msport in eso blue. It's my 3rd 3series, but I'm still in love with it as has a faster engine and better spec than the previous 320d /320 I The only thing worrying me is the horrendous engine sound especially on cold start. It genuinely sounds nearly as loud as my 320d and my friends have asked if it was a diesel. Bit embarrassing and dissapointing that such a nice premium car is allowed to sound like that. Mines has done 82k with full bmw history and following tonnes of research/ youtube views I have come to the conclusion that sadly/ gladly ( depends on your stance), its entirely normal for the petrols to sound like that! I have read its linked to the direct injection/ high pressure injectors etc. Granted it does quieten a little when warm but on idle it still sounds rough. Such a shame as the car flies for a 2 litre and is a dream at speed ( quiet on motorway/ at speed). My q is have any petrol owners found any fixes/ improvements to lower noise. I'm thinking 1) use premium fuel ( less knocking/ more cleaning additives for the injectors ) 2) switch to 0w 40 oil ( thinner to get to noiser oil starved parts quicker?) 3) I've read switching to NGK plugs helps 4) Redex on fuel filling 5) 'Italian tune up' ie rev the ....out of it. Sorry for long post but any thoughts welcome, what have you done that's helped? Failing that I'm upgrading the exhaust

Last edited by F30lancs; 09-29-2020 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: Mistake
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:28 AM   #2
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

I had a 2012 328i and it sounded terrible at idle. I had the car from 29k to 73k miles over a 3.5 year ownership and it never got any worse in that time.

I did complain to the dealer (it was an AUC car) who said it was normal for the N20 engine.

It was only at idle, if, for example you listen to the engine if you do the oil level check which raises the idle rpm to about 1k, it sounded much better

It ran fine, started fine, was fast, was economical. Just sounded shite.

Changing the oil for a thicker grade will do nothing (it's injector noise)

I tried V-power and other premium fuel which didn't make any noticeable difference

Ultimately it was one of the reasons I changed the car, the B48 engine in later cars is much better.

I think you'll have to live with it unfortunately

I did read anecdotal evidence that later cars sounded better, whether that was due to improved engine hood, different ECU software or whatever I don't know.

But don't spend money chasing something you're unlikely to cure.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Many thanks for the info. Think it's the exhaust upgrade to swap the tractor sound to a beefier sound I love the car and it is superb in every aspect apart from this so wont let an idle noise put me off.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
2CRO4TV
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M340i

Garage List
2021 M340i  [0.00]
F30 328i noisy engine, especially cold start

You need the MPE (part number 18302293771) to complete the car and get rid of that diesel sound. I had the same issue when I had mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #5
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CRO4TV View Post
You need the MPE (part number 18302293771) to complete the car and get rid of that diesel sound. I had the same issue when I had mine.
Just dont have the spare 1k atm going for a muffler delete with new tailpipes. Worth a 180 quid gamble. Watched tonnes of videos and seems to be a decent sound for the price. If too gangster can get it back to oem for 50 quid! The MPE just drowns out the diesel noise I'm guessing so this should do the same.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

I've had the same issue with this engine, it sounds far too diesel like, especially on a cold start. I'll probably be opting for the the muffler delete option along with an Injen CAI, hopefully the combo will make the noise sound better.
      09-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHamz View Post
I've had the same issue with this engine, it sounds far too diesel like, especially on a cold start. I'll probably be opting for the the muffler delete option along with an Injen CAI, hopefully the combo will make the noise sound better.
A shame but it wont put me off as in every other aspect its fantastic. Got my delete on Friday, cant wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 04:39 AM   #8
SuperHamz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lancs View Post
A shame but it wont put me off as in every other aspect its fantastic. Got my delete on Friday, cant wait.

Totally, it's a great engine and car overall otherwise. I'd only want the 340i to replace this, but 2 babies have put a stop to all new ambitions for now.

Do post a before and after video of the muffler delete, it will be interesting to hear the sound.
      10-01-2020, 04:21 PM   #9
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
It ran fine, started fine, was fast, was economical. Just sounded shite.

But don't spend money chasing something you're unlikely to cure.
^^^

I bought a very nice, rare, high specced 2012 F31 328i unseen from Sytner BMW.
I wanted to move from a 320d back to petrol and found this great F31 328i but it was miles away.
We did a distance deal and I drove 100+miles to collect a week later.

Within 3 minutes I was grumbling to myself. It was a fantastic car in all areas apart from that noise. I got straight home and googled N20 engine noise, 100's of hits..

I have no problems with a diesel sounding like a diesel. But for a petrol to sound like a diesel was frustrating to me.

I installed the MPE and although it added some nice exhaust noise and pops it couldnt hide the direct injection clatter.

It lasted 18 months and got traded for my current F31 340i, again bought unseen from Sytner BMW. It's a keeper.

I've owned many cars and the only cars that I've wanted to keep are the petrol 6pots.. My 130i has been with me for 11years and my 340i hopefully will be too. The 6 cylinders really take the 3series to a new level of refinement and power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #10
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medslow View Post
^^^

I bought a very nice, rare, high specced 2012 F31 328i unseen from Sytner BMW.
I wanted to move from a 320d back to petrol and found this great F31 328i but it was miles away.
We did a distance deal and I drove 100+miles to collect a week later.

Within 3 minutes I was grumbling to myself. It was a fantastic car in all areas apart from that noise. I got straight home and googled N20 engine noise, 100's of hits..

I have no problems with a diesel sounding like a diesel. But for a petrol to sound like a diesel was frustrating to me.

I installed the MPE and although it added some nice exhaust noise and pops it couldnt hide the direct injection clatter.

It lasted 18 months and got traded for my current F31 340i, again bought unseen from Sytner BMW. It's a keeper.

I've owned many cars and the only cars that I've wanted to keep are the petrol 6pots.. My 130i has been with me for 11years and my 340i hopefully will be too. The 6 cylinders really take the 3series to a new level of refinement and power delivery.
Hopefully will get a 6 cyl next. I struggled to find a decent 328i in the spec and condition I wanted to be honest so going to live with the noise. It's mainly noisy for cold start. Then only on idle. Definately have no complaints of the sound when accelerating or on the motorway. In a way i take comfort in knowing it's not a fault or a sign of previous poor upkeep Since switching from an e90 320i and a f30 320d I am still in the honeymoon period of enjoying the acceleration when I saw the 0 to 60 I was surprised it would be that fast for a 4pot. Maybe in a cupla years the price of 340s will drop, seen as though the newer shape been out a while by then. Good going keeping a car for 11 years. I have always respected people who look after their cars and keep them for the long haul.
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      10-02-2020, 02:32 AM   #11
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Sign of the times? We had Leon Cupras back in the day with the 1.8T engine, which sounded very dieselesque then switched the missus into a MK5 Golf GTi and that was even worse, had so many comments that when it started and idled it sounded like a diesel!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #12
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Maybe it's because I didnt expect it on a beemer. To be honest I've had petrols all my life and my missus has a petrol ford. I'd say only the f30 actually full on sounds like a diesel at idle. Anyways I got my muffler delete today, will post a vid as requested later)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
SuperHamz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Maybe it's because I didnt expect it on a beemer. To be honest I've had petrols all my life and my missus has a petrol ford. I'd say only the f30 actually full on sounds like a diesel at idle. Anyways I got my muffler delete today, will post a vid as requested later)

Looking forward to your verdict
      10-03-2020, 02:49 AM   #14
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Looking forward to your verdict
Initial verdict ( definately early days not even been on motorway yet!)
Idle sounds much much better. Not chavvy loud just deeper and the occasional rasp. Startup sounds meaner and much more like it. Not had a cold start yet

Driving- sounds very powerful and sporty. Burbles , bassier kind of exactly like all the youtube vids. Encourages you to give it some but in my opinion it does start veering to sounding too loud 4k revs plus. Not much cabin drone but there seems to be a little ' pocket' between 1.5k revs to 2k where it is worse.

My current verdict- glad I did it. Sounds more like how it looks and an improvement on the stock sound. Aesthetically a slight improvement as I went for twin 3 inch tailpipes ( I wanted to keep a standard look but there were all sorts of options including dual exit 335 style / m3 style quad etc. To me I'd rather be proud and enjoy what I have than try to be a fake M3 ... but each to their own.

There will be a weight improvement as the stock muffler was big. Also a slight performance improvement as with a turbo the easier you let it breathe the better. Nothing to write home about performance wise but still a slight positive. I havent noticed any change in economy. Also a nice unexpected bonus is you can hear the turbo spool / wind down much clearer ( not sure of the reasons for this perhaps its breathing a little easier).

My most important verdict- my 8 and 5 year old love it!!!
Does it sound like a 6 cylinder or and m3 - definately not. If I could idve gone for an m3, but I dont do finance so this is as good as it gets for me and I'm damn proud anyway

The sound is louder but not as reserved and classy / deep/ stock as a 6 pot. But my expectations werent so high from previous research. I'm glad I did it. Was only 180 pounds all in. I suspect il put it back to stock when I sell it and it will only cost me 50 quid so no great drama.

Will post a vid later. Off to lads footy match. He has asked if I can take my car
Appreciate 1
SuperHamz742.00
      10-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #15
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Tried uploading says invalid file type
Had 1st motorway run today. My worries were unfounded. You can hardly tell it's any diff to stock at all at speed. Still the pocket of drone just below 2k but that doesnt affect 70 to 80 plus. If you do hit it you can change up or down from 5 or 6 (manual only). Only downside I can see so far is the cold start. It's simply too loud
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #16
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Yeah I remember my F31 328i having a loud cold start, very annoying. Our builder once asked if ours was supposed to sound like that when I left to take the kids to school.
And the 340i MPPSK is even worse..! hate it.

Glad to read you have found a solution to the diesel sounding N20. I'm sure many are following this with much interest.
Does it do enough to drown out the injectors fully?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #17
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medslow View Post
Yeah I remember my F31 328i having a loud cold start, very annoying. Our builder once asked if ours was supposed to sound like that when I left to take the kids to school.
And the 340i MPPSK is even worse..! hate it.

Glad to read you have found a solution to the diesel sounding N20. I'm sure many are following this with much interest.
Does it do enough to drown out the injectors fully?
Pretty much so. As the injector noise only annoys me at idle.
I'm not sure if it's a solution, almost overkill. I must admit the burble is quite addictive lol. I would ideally put a performance backbox on. Can only find ones from milltech and the MPE, I refuse to spend over 1k on a backbox! Might do more research to see if there are customised backboxes rather than the current delete. Just some deeper bass compared to stock would do it. Not had the car long and going on motorway today was fun. Car has so much bite for a 4 cylinder and seems to prefer to be driven at speed.. gets smoother the faster it goes

Annoyed cant upload the vid. Will try again. Sounds meaty on the vid !
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #18
F30lancs
Private
Rep

My thoughts were my next car would be a 335i or a 340i. I thought being 6 cylinder they would be silky smooth and sound perfect. From research I thought it was the n20s that had the rough diesel idle only?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 09:53 AM   #19
SuperHamz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Tried uploading says invalid file type
Had 1st motorway run today. My worries were unfounded. You can hardly tell it's any diff to stock at all at speed. Still the pocket of drone just below 2k but that doesnt affect 70 to 80 plus. If you do hit it you can change up or down from 5 or 6 (manual only). Only downside I can see so far is the cold start. It's simply too loud
Any luck putting video up - maybe put it on youtube and link it here?
      10-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #20
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Quote:
Any luck putting video up - maybe put it on youtube and link it here?
Sorry mate dont do youtube. I've even tried again, says it doesnt support mp4 which is what my samsung galaxy saves the vids too. Strange wudnt have thought it would be so difficult !

#update#
Sounds really good generally when warmed up, but I just couldnt deal with the cold start. Damn thing was embarrassing and sounded like it was about to blow up. My missus was worried about the neighbours and tbf the garage door was shaking! So I have booked it in for a custom made muffler next week. Will keep the current ( new) 3 inch tips as want to keep a standard look. Installer states their muffler will sound much quieter than the delete but sportier and bassier than the stock pipe. We shall wait and see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #21
F30lancs
Private
Rep

Just to update anyone interested. Got the custom stainless back box fitted today. More compact than the original but fitted in nicely. Can still hear some burbles when I take foot off gas. But car sounds less 'fast and furious' but deffo more purposeful and nicer note than the stock. Only regret not doing in first place as probably wudda saved me 60 quid or so I reckon. Oh well compared to a milltech or MPE etc I cant complain. On a plus I've learnt to live with the rough idle. It's not a fault it's just the way it is. And for reference for those saying it sounds like a diesel. This is somewhat true and it sounds 'diesel like' but only at idle. And I have first hand 320d experience- that was probably twice as loud so it's a deffo improvement on that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:29 PM   #22
SuperHamz
Major
Rep

How much was the custom muffler if you don't mind sharing?