F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

10-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Hi, guys, I purchased a 2018 BMW 440i a few days ago, and I have been doing a lot of reading here on the forums. From what I gathered, BMW pushed out an update to add Android Auto to our cars, but I'm confused because not all the information is clear if it's compatible with my car also my car has Apple Carplay already installed.

Do I need to purchase one of those MMI Box's, or is there a way to update the software?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any guidance.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #2
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech UnRaveled View Post
Hi, guys, I purchased a 2018 BMW 440i a few days ago, and I have been doing a lot of reading here on the forums. From what I gathered, BMW pushed out an update to add Android Auto to our cars, but I'm confused because not all the information is clear if it's compatible with my car also my car has Apple Carplay already installed.

Do I need to purchase one of those MMI Box's, or is there a way to update the software?

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate any guidance.
bump.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:31 AM   #3
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
F-series cars will not get Android Auto from BMW. The software update BMW pushed is for iDrive 7 cars (Gxx onwards). To get AA on our multimedia systems you will need an interface box.

If you have iDrive 6 with Wifi hotspot + wireless charging, you can get Wireless Carplay (Apple) enabled for a cost directly from the BMW store. If you don't have Wifi hotspot, you can add the antenna and get Carplay coded.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2020, 04:54 AM   #4
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdino View Post
F-series cars will not get Android Auto from BMW. The software update BMW pushed is for iDrive 7 cars (Gxx onwards). To get AA on our multimedia systems you will need an interface box.

If you have iDrive 6 with Wifi hotspot + wireless charging, you can get Wireless Carplay (Apple) enabled for a cost directly from the BMW store. If you don't have Wifi hotspot, you can add the antenna and get Carplay coded.
Quote:

my car has WiFi, wireless charging and apple Carplay already. I want to add Android Auto. so you saying the only way is with one of those mmi boxes?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 05:07 AM   #5
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Yes.

Do you have a touch screen?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:24 AM   #6
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Yes.

no, it doesn't have a touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Cool, then you should be able to find a unit that works. Just make sure you get one for the correct NBT version.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
daxtor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EBII F30 335i

Quote:
FYI you don't need a touch screen to use Android Auto. I tried AA with my wife's E450 that has no touch screen but does has the knob that I can turn and move up/down/left/right. AA does work with that kind of touch less control scheme.

Another alternative is to get one of the Android headunits/screens. I have that in my F30 and I can run AA or native Google Maps (and I do use both)
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 05:15 AM   #9
drdino
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
You don't, the reason I was asking is that no interface exists for touchscreen ID6 systems (afaik).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:46 AM   #10
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Quote:
You don't, the reason I was asking is that no interface exists for touchscreen ID6 systems (afaik).
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxtor View Post
Quote:
FYI you don't need a touch screen to use Android Auto. I tried AA with my wife's E450 that has no touch screen but does has the knob that I can turn and move up/down/left/right. AA does work with that kind of touch less control scheme.

Another alternative is to get one of the Android headunits/screens. I have that in my F30 and I can run AA or native Google Maps (and I do use both)
Quote:
Quote:
Cool, then you should be able to find a unit that works. Just make sure you get one for the correct NBT version.

I am a bit confused about which system to get. Can someone point me in the right direction? I don't care about the cost; I just want the best solution possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0