F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream MMI Box - Wireless CarPlay & Android Auto
proTUNING Freaks

12-23-2019, 03:52 PM   #287
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Those with a 6.5" screen....is the AA resolution acceptable? I'm assuming that the resolution is marginal only on the larger screens?
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 04:24 PM   #288
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmynappa View Post
. Hopefully they fix it once one of the more charming forum members contact that Korean company, that seems to be the source of these MMI boxes.
korean company doesnt respond at all... Tried email and facebook. Do we have a korean guy here to try to knock on their doors?
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 07:18 PM   #289
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Those with a 6.5" screen....is the AA resolution acceptable? I'm assuming that the resolution is marginal only on the larger screens?
On the screenshots I've seen from AA 6.5", it looks really good. Perhaps even pixel perfect. I just refuse to drive around with a 6.5" (I probably a have a mixed diagnosis with a little bit of everything in it). The same reason I refuse to by an iPhone, but might cave on that 2020. All in all the box is great in AA, the 8.8" might just look a bit sharper in CarPlay. And from what I've heard Google Assistant owns Siri pretty good, but not tested my self.
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #290
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc View Post
korean company doesnt respond at all... Tried email and facebook. Do we have a korean guy here to try to knock on their doors?
Yeah, where are the charming ppl that speaks fluent Koeran!

This is of highest importance.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 07:28 PM   #291
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

OK, so I reset the Carplay setting on my phone and on my MMI box. The wireless carplay been working flawlessly.

As far as night mode goes, I like nightmode all the time. The night light theme is too bright even in the day. But it seems the box does not pick up the cas signal that the headlights are on. Would be nice, but doesn't really affect me.

Apple maps, both fullscreen and in the home screen, are bright all the time. Now Waze and Google maps seem to use sunup and sundown to trigger night mode, so they work fine. And I never use Apple maps.

The phone calls seem a bit odd though, kind of echoey. Especially for the other folks, they say they hear themselves, strange. Anyone else have issues with the call quality?

Had the backup camera come up black once, but since then it has been fine.

I like the Carplay experience, but I'm sure I'll go back and forth between the MMI and the BMW screens.

Worth the $200, not worth the $600 to go "name brand."
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #292
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
OK, so I reset the Carplay setting on my phone and on my MMI box. The wireless carplay been working flawlessly.

As far as night mode goes, I like nightmode all the time. The night light theme is too bright even in the day. But it seems the box does not pick up the cas signal that the headlights are on. Would be nice, but doesn't really affect me.

Apple maps, both fullscreen and in the home screen, are bright all the time. Now Waze and Google maps seem to use sunup and sundown to trigger night mode, so they work fine. And I never use Apple maps.

The phone calls seem a bit odd though, kind of echoey. Especially for the other folks, they say they hear themselves, strange. Anyone else have issues with the call quality?

I like the Carplay experience, but I'm sure I'll go back and forth between the MMI and the BMW screens.

It seems like AA use the standard car Bluetooth connection to make calls, therefore perhaps no echoes etc. You don't get voice nav directions during the calls, but I almost always have voice directions turned off since I don't appreciate the navs bitchy attitude regarding my driving (yes, I'm sub-par). Tbh I would easily but down the $600 for the "name brand" if i didn't find the AliExpress version. Disregarding AA resolution not being perfect, Google Maps + Spotify + Waze + Google Assitant (that works amazingly well with double languages, not perfect but hey what can you expect) + an 8.8" screen upgrade lifts the car to another level. But I didn't have pro nav or bmw apps from the beginning, so the difference might be bigger for me.

It still pisses me off that I can't code the HU_NBT without disconnecting the box, but that is something you all seem totally content with.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 08:04 PM   #293
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:

Had the echo issues when the unit was running 2.0.2.4

Updated to latest 2.0.2.6 and issues seem to be gone
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2019, 08:32 PM   #294
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
The steering wheel experience is confusing me so far. I scroll up in Carplay and all of a sudden it goes the other way!

Any specific settings to fix this?
Anyone figure this one out?
Appreciate 2
      12-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #295
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Had the echo issues when the unit was running 2.0.2.4

Updated to latest 2.0.2.6 and issues seem to be gone
Yep, I'm on the latest firmware. Thinking of playing with some of the mic settings. Just not sure what they do.
Appreciate 1
      12-24-2019, 10:18 AM   #296
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I'm on the latest firmware. Thinking of playing with some of the mic settings. Just not sure what they do.
One of the things I noticed regarding making changes to the global settings is that it may require a reboot (long press return button)

I lowered the MIC audio level from 12 to 8 during the time I was running 2.0.2.4 and noticed a bit of improvement.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2019, 10:03 AM   #297
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep

Seems like the phone is fine, may have just been a couple bad connections.

The scroll wheel on the steering wheel is odd, but I get why. It's just mimicking the control wheel. Just an oddity, but I use the control wheel most of the time anyway.

Wireless is working well, and the overall experience is super close to factory. So close that I have zero complaints.

I would recommend this unit to anyone wanting to add CarPlay. I think the resolution issues would kill me in Android Auto, as I am very particular. Hopefully that gets fixed for all you Android folks!
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2019, 02:22 AM   #298
bmw4jh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Can somebody provide the POC information for Andream? I have a ‘13 F30 but with CIC. I want to know if they have a product I could use. TIA

Last edited by bmw4jh; 12-27-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 01:18 PM   #299
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

I haven't used my car since Xmas day.

Just been out in my other car (shitbox daily) and as I was walking back into the house, the mrs noticed the dials light up on the M4.

I thought that's odd, maybe it detected the key in my pocket (comfort access), so went to get the keys out of my pocket and noticed the Carplay logo on my phone.

So it seems the Andream unit doesn't go to sleep and is always powered on.
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #300
magnumchode
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Has anyone had any issues upgrading their unit? I've tried:

Multiple software versions
FAT and FAT32, quick & full formatting
With the car actually running (vs just having the unit on)
Doing it after a fresh reboot, battery disconnect, etc.

Mine is the Andream / EW-BMCP-NBT01A unit.

I put the flash drive in (with only ISPBOOOT.bin in the root), go to Setup > Software Update > System Update & confirm the "User Update via USB" dialog. After which the unit immediately clicks/switches back to my normal iDrive system, then a few seconds later I get "NO SIGNAL". The only way to get it to respond is by holding down the back button to force a reboot. Once it boots back up everything seems fine, but it's still on the old/factory-original version.

I was smart enough to not fully install everything so it's all hanging outside of the dash right now. This is the last thing I need to verify/get working before I button everything up though.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #301
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumchode View Post

I put the flash drive in (with only ISPBOOOT.bin in the root), go to Setup > Software Update > System Update & confirm the "User Update via USB" dialog. After which the unit immediately clicks/switches back to my normal iDrive system, then a few seconds later I get "NO SIGNAL". The only way to get it to respond is by holding down the back button to force a reboot. Once it boots back up everything seems fine, but it's still on the old/factory-original version.

I was smart enough to not fully install everything so it's all hanging outside of the dash right now. This is the last thing I need to verify/get working before I button everything up though.

Thanks!
When it shows NO SIGNAL it's updating, you need to leave it and just wait (a usb stick with a flashing led helps you to understand what is happening).
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #302
touchmynappa
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumchode View Post

Thanks!
Did you try a different USB stick?
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #303
magnumchode
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Good thinking! I'm pretty sure it was the flash drive in the end. Here's my experience if it helps anyone else:

I tried a different flash drive, this time with a light like cossie1 suggested. I did noticed that after it going to "NO SIGNAL" the light was still active for about a minute, then I heard the MMI click & go back to the idrive screen briefly, then back to "NO SIGNAL". At this point the flash drive stopped blinking. I waited another couple of minutes & force rebooted via the back button. Once it booted back up it was on the correct version.

I then did the MCU, it was much quicker, but required a manual reboot after it was done before the new version # showed up as it doesnt seem to auto-reboot. I think I remember reading someone in this thread saying something similar now that I type this.

Thanks guys, those replies were literally minutes after I posted that message lol!
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #304
strongislemax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535

what is the password to the rar file with the software update?
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #305
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
I haven't used my car since Xmas day.

Just been out in my other car (shitbox daily) and as I was walking back into the house, the mrs noticed the dials light up on the M4.

I thought that's odd, maybe it detected the key in my pocket (comfort access), so went to get the keys out of my pocket and noticed the Carplay logo on my phone.

So it seems the Andream unit doesn't go to sleep and is always powered on.
If you happen to be close to the car, the whole systems actually boot up including Andream

So I noticed that even someone attempts to open the trunk, it boots up the head unit for some reason.
Appreciate 2
cossie1624.50
      12-27-2019, 04:05 PM   #306
cossie1
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If you happen to be close to the car, the whole systems actually boot up including Andream

So I noticed that even someone attempts to open the trunk, it boots up the head unit for some reason.
In that case I will try walking past it without the keys tomorrow (or maybe Sunday) and see if carplay tries to connect still.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 05:27 PM   #307
terrymcg
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossie1 View Post
Quote:

In that case I will try walking past it without the keys tomorrow (or maybe Sunday) and see if carplay tries to connect still.
Unlocking or opening any door or the boot wakes the unit and it connects. It doesn't always stay on, as I have checked.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2019, 04:29 AM   #308
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongislemax View Post
what is the password to the rar file with the software update?
There is no password.
From where did you download that requires a pw?
Appreciate 1