F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > DIY: Morimoto Projectors & Custom Angel Eyes Retrofit
proTUNING Freaks

05-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #133
phongt12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

i'm also curious in pricing too. could you PM me the price (including shipping) for halogen+LED and projector+LED?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:08 AM   #134
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ00 View Post
Yeah i camt aim it, and when the car starts, the light doesnt dip down then up
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVu View Post
Make sure you have the plugs in right. Code them to stop hot cold checking and to LEDs. The only error I got was, DRL malfunction. After coding, I've been error free since. Maybe code your auto leveling nonaktiv too they look amazing! I want your front bumper now. Sounds like your car has some style of leveling. Here in the U.S. The halogens don't auto level.
Hmmm.. yeah our US halogens don't dip up and down on start up. Maybe yours had a special feature that auto aims. The acrylic does limit the aiming of the headlights since it sticks out, but you should still be able to aim it manually. Did you try the adjusting screws located behind & center of the headlight? +1 on what Charlie suggested with coding. I hope you get those issues fixed brutha. Keep me updated
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:13 AM   #135
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkcpu View Post
Can you PM the price for a set please.
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by phongt12 View Post
i'm also curious in pricing too. could you PM me the price (including shipping) for halogen+LED and projector+LED?
PM'd you guys
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 01:38 AM   #136
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

I have a spare of halogens and here's what I've been working on when I have spare time. This is just a mock up of how it would all go together, but nothing is mounted or installed yet. I still have to adjust cutoff for the dual projectors which I heard will be hard. Trying to have a little fun with these so let me know what you think:

What I've done is blacked out the reflector housing, eyebrow, projector shrouds, projector shutter, and the other chrome pieces. I put RGB LED acrylic rings that you can change colors with a remote. I also made a custom corner light housing. I was trying to go for an M3 look because I didn't want to leave the signal light not blacked out. I just put a lightly sanded acrylic cover over it and "tried" to paint the M3 corner light scheme hahaha. Here's the look I was trying to go for:

and here's how I painted it:

hahaha I know it's not perfect, but I was trying to experiment

Last edited by bienarcis; 05-08-2015 at 02:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #137
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

^ that looks awesome, I have yet to see dual projectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 10:51 AM   #138
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnica View Post
^ that looks awesome, I have yet to see dual projectors.
thanks man! it's still a work in progress but I hope to finish it soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
i guess i never heard of headlight vertical aim control before.. not with my halogens anyways.

You mean you can't use those manual adjustment knobs on the headlights? Or you mean something is obstructing their movement?
squidlyboy your inbox is saying it's still full lol
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #139
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienarcis View Post

squidlyboy your inbox is saying it's still full lol
Cleared it Btw... that M3 look is lookin' hot bro!

Last edited by squidlyboy; 05-08-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #140
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cleared it Btw... that M3 look is lookin' hot bro!
Thanks brutha! I hope it all comes together and look better once it's on the car. Do you think I should paint that dark greyish trim the surrounds the inside of the lens gloss black or matte black or leave it alone? If I paint it gloss black it might distort the bottom of halos by reflecting it. In the video it looks distorted already and it's not painted.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #141
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Just curious... would anyone be interested in these?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #142
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

If i didnt get mike&xph's retrofit because its plug n play i wouldve def gone with yours. How is it that one guy, being you, is punping out better products than most of these "tuner" shops and third party companies. Good for you brother, its amazing to see how great your headlights look.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #143
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just curious... would anyone be interested in these?
Lookin' good B ...

I was hoping i would be the first F30 quad BiX retrofit, but i'm taking my time and I've made a few mistakes along the way.

I hope not too many people want these ... haha. Keeps it unique and rare. Do me a favor and jack up the price for this super high - its gotta be at least $4k ;-) ... for the amount of cutting, the complexity of the wiring involved, and the pain in having to align 4 projector beam cutoffs properly lol

I will say, after seeing how HOT 4 mini-H1 projectors look in a set of F30 headlights, i can never go back to a single pair of BiX ever Having that empty hole/socket where the high-beam housing is ... well, it just looks BROKEN. It's too asymmetrical and off to me now - like there's something missing.

And it doesn't help that there is another Angel Eye ring in the high-beam housing highlighting the fact that there is nothing in that hole.... like there's a burned out bulb there.
Attached Images

Last edited by squidlyboy; 05-15-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #144
goon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i AW

Garage List
2014 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Never mind posting a DIY man

You got yourself a <quality> product, keep that money for yourself!
      05-09-2015, 09:49 AM   #145
lesnica
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I could only imagine the intensity of the headlights with two projectors
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #146
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesnica View Post
I could only imagine the intensity of the headlights with two projectors
No doubt its definitely overkill, done only for looks, and it inherits a bunch of problems that a single pair doesn't give you. I got the 35w HID bulbs/ballasts instead of the 55w to alleviate some of that, but there still will be challenges.

My wife also complains that her 6 inch heals hurts her feet and the little black velvet dress she wears is tight and uncomfortable when we go out. I tell her that flat sandals and a loose floppy blouse will take care of that. She goes for the heels and velvet 10 times outta 10

We're not that different...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #147
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji99lypuff View Post
If i didnt get mike&xph's retrofit because its plug n play i wouldve def gone with yours. How is it that one guy, being you, is punping out better products than most of these "tuner" shops and third party companies. Good for you brother, its amazing to see how great your headlights look.
It's very humbling to hear that people can appreciate your work. I am so thankful for the kind words sir.

Quote:
Lookin' good B ...

I was hoping i would be the first F30 quad BiX retrofit, but i'm taking my time and I've made a few mistakes along the way.

I will say, after seeing how hot 4 mini-H1 projectors look in a set of F30 headlights, i can never go back to a single pair of BiX ever Having that empty hole/socket where the high-beam housing is ... well, it just looks too asymmetrical and off to me now - like there's something missing.

I hope not too many people want these ... haha. Keeps it unique and rare. Do me a favor and jack up the price for this super high - its gotta be at least $4k ;-) ... for the amount of cutting, the complexity of the wiring involved, and the pain in having to align 4 projector beam cutoffs properly lol
Thanks brutha! If I could advise you one thing, it would be to take your time. I've made so many mistakes myself so I know what you're going through. Hahaha don't worry man I'm pretty sure not too many people are willing to try this quad projector retrofit because of all the work involved. I've had countless moments of giving up and saying eff this. But you're right, 4 projectors looks too damn good not to finish LOL.

$4k!?!? to be completely honest, the work and parts involved in making these should probably be worth a LOT. But most of us are pretty cheap and don't wanna spend thousands on headlights. I know I wouldn't, hence the reason I did my own retrofit. I'm thinking of selling these for $1500 shipped. I've spent about $1100 on just parts lol:

$280 - Used Headlights
$297 - Morimoto Mini H1 Stage III kit (Projectors, 5500k HIDs, Sealant, & Shipping)
$76 - iJDMtoy Mini H1 Projectors (for the inner lights)
$166 - Morimoto Elite 5500k HIDs (for the inner lights)
$107 - iJDMtoy DTM Style RGB LED Angel Eyes
$36 - PY21W CREE LED turn signal bulbs
~$100 - (2x JB Weld KwikWeld, 4x JB Weld SteelStik, Primer & Paint, and Acrylic)

But I'm still debating on just keeping them because you mentioned the whole "hoping to be the first F30 Quad BiX retrofit" hahaha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon View Post
Never mind posting a DIY man

You got yourself a <quality> product, keep that money for yourself!
Hahaha thanks man! It's a tempting thought, but I think some people would love to try to do this themselves. Once I stop being lazy about writing a DIY then it will be done lol. Being optimistic, I'm about half way done lol
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2015, 09:32 PM   #148
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No doubt its definitely overkill, done only for looks, and it inherits a bunch of problems that a single pair doesn't give you. I got the 35w HID bulbs/ballasts instead of the 55w to alleviate some of that, but there still will be challenges.

My wife also complains that her 6 inch heals hurts her feet and the little black velvet dress she wears is tight and uncomfortable when we go out. I tell her that flat sandals and a loose floppy blouse will take care of that. She goes for the heels and velvet 10 times outta 10

We're not that different...
hahaha great analogy! I'll use something along this context next time my wife complains about me working on cars too much.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #149
bienarcis
Private
United_States
Rep

short teaser of the 2 low beams on and M3 style corner lights with Cree LED bulbs... (disregard the hanging bumper and the bare headlight housing)

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #150
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
short teaser of the 2 low beams on and M3 style corner lights with Cree LED bulbs... (disregard the hanging bumper and the bare headlight housing)

DAYUMM... THATS HOT!!!!

I would not sell those - are you craaaazzzy?? Everytime you roll down the street, the bro's will do the... "whoa, the bienarcis show is about to start"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #151
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
... I'm pretty sure not too many people are willing to try this quad projector retrofit because of all the work involved. ...
... to be completely honest, the work and parts involved in making these should probably be worth a LOT.
Tell me about it This is what my 14ft dining room table currently looks like - the wifey is getting fed up Btw.. even if/when you do finish/publish your DIY, most people will read it and just say H*** S***.. um, can i just pay you instead to do it for me?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #152
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Tell me about it This is what my 14ft dining room table currently looks like - the wifey is getting fed up Btw.. even if/when you do finish/publish your DIY, most people will read it and just say H*** S***.. um, can i just pay you instead to do it for me?
Damn, Squidlyboy, Can i drop my headlight off at your place when you are done with yours
That's lots of tools :\. Kudos on taking on this big task though. Where did you get the Acrylics? To bend them into shape, did you use heat gun on them then bend them? I am hoping an DIY comes though, so It may shorten the trial-and-error effort on my part.
I am thinking about getting the Eagle Eyes and then retrofitting the headlights with HIDs when they are off the car. It is pretty difficult to know how long it takes so hopefully that gets a seal of approval from the wifey.

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #153
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondaman View Post
Damn, Squidlyboy, Can i drop my headlight off at your place when you are done with yours
That's lots of tools :\. Kudos on taking on this big task though. Where did you get the Acrylics? To bend them into shape, did you use heat gun on them then bend them? I am hoping an DIY comes though, so It may shorten the trial-and-error effort on my part.
I am thinking about getting the Eagle Eyes and then retrofitting the headlights with HIDs when they are off the car. It is pretty difficult to know how long it takes so hopefully that gets a seal of approval from the wifey.
What a mess right? I don't wanna show you the garage where the Dremel'ing and headlight alignment station is set up. There's dust everywhere and blue tape all over the garage floor and walls to mark the cutoffs

I purchased the acrylics from bienarcis - he did all the craftsmanship and bending. I also credit (blame) him for pushing me down this DIY hill. Never would have attempted it without him - just when i thought i was at a roadblock, he pushes me through it somehow. He's the man.

Retrofitting the Eagle Eyes seems like it would be a lot easier than what we're doing - the projectors are already mounted/aligned in the headlights and removing the cover will probably be a lot easier as i'm guessing the sealant is probably Butyl rubber and not Permaseal (heat resistant). Just stick in an HID bulb/ballast and away you go. I was considering purchasing goon's used pair as an experiment before he changed his mind to keep it.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #154
jondaman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
What a mess right? I don't wanna show you the garage where the Dremel'ing and headlight alignment station is set up. There's dust everywhere and blue tape all over the garage floor and walls to mark the cutoffs

I purchased the acrylics from bienarcis - he did all the craftsmanship and bending. I also credit (blame) him for pushing me down this DIY hill. Never would have attempted it without him - just when i thought i was at a roadblock, he pushes me through it somehow. He's the man.

Retrofitting the Eagle Eyes seems like it would be a lot easier than what we're doing - the projectors are already mounted/aligned in the headlights and removing the cover will probably be a lot easier as i'm guessing the sealant is probably Butyl rubber and not Permaseal (heat resistant). Just stick in an HID bulb/ballast and away you go. I was considering purchasing goon's used pair as an experiment before he changed his mind to keep it.
How did you get the headlight lenses off on the original headlights? Was it sticking them inside a box and heat them up with heatguns for 15 minutes and pry them open carefully? I was watching a Youtube video from retrofitlab, and seems like that is the way to go.
Did you see the new LCI angel eyes? I think you next project should be retrofitting them into the current headlights

Past: E46 Metallic Blue Coupe 323i GONE: E86 Jet Black Z4 Convertible GONE: E92 Crimson Red 335i,
F30 Liquid Blue Matallic 328i
Current Garage Queen: Mineral White F83 M4
Appreciate 0