F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Apple CarPlay Retrofit - Done! (Update:16/11/18...now also with full screen function)
ARMA SPEED

07-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #353
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Well that was scary!

Tried installing Carplay last night using enet method bought from an eBay seller and it failed half way through and my idrive screen got stuck on this:

Apparently it was because the wifi was too weak. It was too late for the seller to respond to me so I drove round today with no nav, music, parking cameras or sensors, speed limit display or any other idrive functions!

Fortunately Simon from Bavarian Coding came to the rescue this evening, simply cehecking FSC status with e-sys (connect, go to comfort mode, fsc, check fsc status) brought the idrive back to life!

I've now moved my router right next to my car and will retry coding Carplay tomorrow!
Make sure you turn off wifi and Bluetooth on the phone that connects to idrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #354
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Quote:
Well that was scary!

Tried installing Carplay last night using enet method bought from an eBay seller and it failed half way through and my idrive screen got stuck on this:

Apparently it was because the wifi was too weak. It was too late for the seller to respond to me so I drove round today with no nav, music, parking cameras or sensors, speed limit display or any other idrive functions!

Fortunately Simon from Bavarian Coding came to the rescue this evening, simply cehecking FSC status with e-sys (connect, go to comfort mode, fsc, check fsc status) brought the idrive back to life!

I've now moved my router right next to my car and will retry coding Carplay tomorrow!
Good tip thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #355
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Well that was scary!

Good tip thanks!
Mine crashed also - reran it and worked ok with wifi and Bluetooth off
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      07-13-2019, 06:02 AM   #356
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Working!

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/ZKTsWjtx/6-B1-B...D007-E9-F5.jpg[/img]
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #357
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Not bad for £55!

I bought it from this seller, helpful guy, he was prepared to connect via teamviewer to fix my blue screen problem, I just fixed it myself before he finished work:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F312613134646
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #358
Kean
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2

CarPlay is the only thing missing from my car, and I would like to add it. Who would be the best person or place to get this from please?

Would this have an impact on factory warranty, or have an impact on existing connect drive services. I take it you can restore back to factory / remove CarPlay before the car goes into the dealership.

Anyone able to help me out on this one please:
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 09:15 AM   #359
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kean View Post
CarPlay is the only thing missing from my car, and I would like to add it. Who would be the best person or place to get this from please?

Would this have an impact on factory warranty, or have an impact on existing connect drive services. I take it you can restore back to factory / remove CarPlay before the car goes into the dealership.

Anyone able to help me out on this one please:
If you don't fancy doing it yourself, Simon at Bavarian Coding is definitely the best place to go, he does charge £150 and is booked up until August, but he codes Carplay the proper way from scratch, he updates your car's software first, and if the dealers ever wipe it he will re code it for free.

https://www.facebook.com/Bavarian-Co...4502282915941/

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #360
Whiteybmw
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Touring Shadow Ed

Interesting how some seem to code the widescreen CarPlay with the smaller icons and clock on the left hand side of the screen and some on the right hand side.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #361
thunder_bmw
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d

Quote:
These solutions are not permanent ways to add car play.

The only permanent solution that will not clear via dealer update is to purchase via connected drive provisioning (not possible unless ordered from factory) or buy an FSC directly from BMW tied to your VIN. (Very expensive).

All other methods are a hack (patched FSC) and will break some idrive features after a dealer update (unless you return to stock prior)

I purchased an FSC code for my VIN from bmw and had it coded to my car. This a bmw provisioned fsc and permanent although expensive.

Full screen car play is a patch. This will not break your idrive if the dealer updates (if car play is purchased from bmw). You will just loose full screen and need to reapply patch.

Full screen car play is a must prior to iOS 13 unless BMW allows full screen car play activation via idrive (unlikely).
Can I check how much did it cost for BMW to add this for you? I.e., what was the cost of buying the FSC coding and getting the dealer to install it?I just wanted a rough estimate (currency shouldn't matter)

Last edited by thunder_bmw; 07-15-2019 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Adding
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #362
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteybmw View Post
Interesting how some seem to code the widescreen CarPlay with the smaller icons and clock on the left hand side of the screen and some on the right hand side.
I'm sure it can be set by the coder. When I added CarPlay via USB (eBay), the clock etc was on the left. When I switched to full screen (eBay), coder asked if I wanted it switched to right hand drive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 06:29 AM   #363
G11
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
I'm looking for someone who can uninstall carplay from my car.

From my understanding the Headunit needs to be flashed and an FSC repair kit needs to be installed.

I was originally in touch with wibbles but my understanding is that he is not doing any of this work at the moment.

Can anyone else do this work? I'm based in south east london if that helps.
I have read this thread a couple of times now and I'm pretty sure carplay activation is possible on the car I have.

Does anybody know if Wibbles ( Bobfish ) still provides this service?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #364
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyrubble View Post
I'm looking for someone who can uninstall carplay from my car.

From my understanding the Headunit needs to be flashed and an FSC repair kit needs to be installed.

I was originally in touch with wibbles but my understanding is that he is not doing any of this work at the moment.

Can anyone else do this work? I'm based in south east london if that helps.
I have read this thread a couple of times now and I'm pretty sure carplay activation is possible on the car I have.

Does anybody know if Wibbles ( Bobfish ) still provides this service?
He has stopped all work for health reasons
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #365
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Oh dear, I hope it’s nothing too serious?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #366
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Oh dear, I hope it’s nothing too serious?
Sounds like it.

Hope all goes well whatever it is.
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      10-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #367
G11
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I do hope everything works out ok.

-

On the CarPlay activation front, I’ve made no progress as of yet. I’ve been told by multiple people it’s possible for the car I have.

The quotes I got included the WiFi antenna installation. I think I’ll fit the WiFi antenna myself, and then gets some quotes again. Any recommendations on who to reach out too would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:23 PM   #368
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F36 440i

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I do hope everything works out ok.

-

On the CarPlay activation front, I’ve made no progress as of yet. I’ve been told by multiple people it’s possible for the car I have.

The quotes I got included the WiFi antenna installation. I think I’ll fit the WiFi antenna myself, and then gets some quotes again. Any recommendations on who to reach out too would be appreciated.
Which NBT EVO version do you have?

I activated CarPlay last week from a eBay seller.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NBT-EVO-B...sAAOSwvwhdYuRs

I have NBTevo_P so needed the ENET cable to activate but already had the WiFi antenna from factory options.

Works perfectly and only took 20 minutes to install.
      10-10-2019, 02:31 PM   #369
G11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick.86uk View Post

I have NBTevo_P so needed the ENET cable to activate but already had the WiFi antenna from factory options.

I don't think it's ever been updated since new. Via the BMW portal, I've downloaded the 2019 Europe road maps, but I have not installed yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:37 PM   #370
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Evo H can be activated via USB. They just send you the file and you copy over onto USB memory stick - 2 min job.

You just need the WiFi antenna.
      10-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #371
G11
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the info. It looks like the version I have is supported via that activation.

My only concern (from what I have read online) is some CarPlay activations can cause issues if the firmware is updated (not that I'm planning on updating the firmware).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #372
Mick.86uk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the info. It looks like the version I have is supported via that activation.

My only concern (from what I have read online) is some CarPlay activations can cause issues if the firmware is updated (not that I'm planning on updating the firmware).
When I received the file and install software they also give instructions on how to remove if you need to update firmware at the dealer etc. Once firmware is updated just reinstall the CarPlay.

Unless this option is only available when installing via ENET cable rather than USB.

Ask the eBay seller to confirm.
      10-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #373
G11
Rep

Quote:
When I received the file and install software they also give instructions on how to remove if you need to update firmware at the dealer etc. Once firmware is updated just reinstall the CarPlay.

Unless this option is only available when installing via ENET cable rather than USB.

Ask the eBay seller to confirm.
Thanks very much for the info. I'll get in touch with the seller.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2019, 03:10 AM   #374
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

These aftermarket patches will result in a bricked idrive if the dealer updates your firmware.
Appreciate 0