F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > R1 Concepts Review
ARMA SPEED

01-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #45
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I think it gets better after some miles but doesn't go away altogether. Honestly I'm used to it now and really don't hear it, although the sound increased a bit when I had the new ones installed.
ive only had them on for a 100 miles so hopefully the sound does reduce, cause its a definitly noticeable when you are driving with the windows down. i sorta wish i knew about this noise before pulling the trigger cause i would have just went with blanks instead
      01-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #46
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1concepts View Post
XxThe_RemedyXx It does look like the zinc didn't properly set on the inside part where there's the rust buildup and we apologize for this. However, this will not affect the rotors all since the pads don't touch that specific area. As stated, you can spray that area with a black high temp caliper spray paint to prevent it from rusting.

As for the center hub and the outer rim of the rotors where it is "white" you can say, that's just because you live on the East Coat where there's salt and snow. This shows more on the black zinc coated rotors compared to the silver zinc. The Carbon Geomet rotors which have the Geomet coating isn't really affected as you can see because it's an overall stronger coating and holds up better in conditions where there's salt and snow.
Jus installed my geomet rotors and akebono ceramic pads, iv been hearing this buzzing noise while driving, no noise or squeaking when braking and occurs when driving, the noise is quite significant and its pretty embarrassing cause it sounds awful.

Have you guys had reports of noisy rotors?

Last edited by yoon_209; 01-24-2019 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #47
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but if you have never driven a car with drilled/slotted rotors the noise is, unfortunately, completely normal and expected. It's annoying when driving next to medians on highways especially in an otherwise quiet car.
1987 325e
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 01:43 PM   #48
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but if you have never driven a car with drilled/slotted rotors the noise is, unfortunately, completely normal and expected. It's annoying when driving next to medians on highways especially in an otherwise quiet car.
i have friends with drilled and slotted and it sounds nothing like this.

it is quite unfortunate the they make so much noise. i just never expected the it be an issue, i dont even wanna drive with my windows down cause it bothers me. i may go back to blanks
      01-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #49
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

hmm, wonder if the rotors or pads are defective. I have slotted rotors and my friend has slotted and dimpled. No noises. Also the M Performance brakes are also slotted and dimpled and make no weird noises...

Might want to try a different pad or rotors.
2012 F30: G25-660 Bottom Mount Mani+ DP+ Intake, CSF FMIC, VRSF CP, Walbro 450 LPFP, PR Injection with AIC 4, S63TU Injectors, Tuned with BM3, ZF Race 4 Puck and Non SSA Pressure plate, Catless, 3.5" Quad Muffler, Custom Valved Bilstein B8 + H&R SS. Max 456 WHP - 452 WTRQ. Currently tuned down to 434 WHP and 362 WTRQ to save the rods.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #50
AK415
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 435i

Just wanted to share my experience with R1 concept as well.

TLDR: I had great experience with their products and service which I will get them for my cars when brakes are due.

I have been using their eline since 2011, started with a 240sx, GS400, and recently the Q50. They all fit great and do the job.

240sx ones were slotted with zinc coating, had them for a year before I sold the car and did not experience any problem. They pair up with the Hawk performance ceramic pads pretty well.

GS400 ones were blanks without any coating. They replaced my 1 year old wrapped Brembo blanks and they are still able to stop the heavy car after 4 years. (I only put 10k miles on the car since the replacement). It came with defects and R1 concept was able to expedite my replacement after I sent them the picture. Rust is not a huge issue on this pair. Pair with akebono ceramic pads with no problem.

Q50 ones are blanks without coating as well. Had them for 6 months, excessive rust due to the humid nature of Bay Area. I brushed them out and sprayed them with caliper paint 2 months ago. No sign of wrapping or decrease in performance so far. Also pairs with akebono ceramic pads with no problems

*I am not affiliated with any of these mentioned brands and I always paid for the parts without any special discounts (except the regular 10-15% usual promotions)*
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 10:50 AM   #51
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D041987 View Post
hmm, wonder if the rotors or pads are defective. I have slotted rotors and my friend has slotted and dimpled. No noises. Also the M Performance brakes are also slotted and dimpled and make no weird noises...

Might want to try a different pad or rotors.
I was able to further diagnose and the noise is only coming from the front two wheels. there is absolutely no noise coming from the rears.

I have noticed that the pad wear on the rear rotors are even however on the fronts I did see that the geomet coating towards the center of the rotor hasn't worn off yet and another line of coating towards the outside of the rotor has not worn down yet.

Could this be a cause of the noise? Possible improper install of the pads?

its been about 300 miles on the pads and rotors.
Attached Images

Last edited by yoon_209; 01-30-2019 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #52
wurstrocket
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i msport

I have m perfs slotted and drilled and they make no weird noises. Also friend has slotted drilled stop techs and they also do not make a weird noise. Im not buying the slotted and drilled rotors make noise bit.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #53
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurstrocket View Post
I have m perfs slotted and drilled and they make no weird noises. Also friend has slotted drilled stop techs and they also do not make a weird noise. Im not buying the slotted and drilled rotors make noise bit.
im definitely thinking its an improper pad install. something is forsure rubbing which is causing that sound. especially since my rears dont make any noise at all.
      02-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #54
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoon_209 View Post
I was able to further diagnose and the noise is only coming from the front two wheels. there is absolutely no noise coming from the rears.

I have noticed that the pad wear on the rear rotors are even however on the fronts I did see that the geomet coating towards the center of the rotor hasn't worn off yet and another line of coating towards the outside of the rotor has not worn down yet.

Hey bud. After 300 miles your rotor wear shouldn't look like that at all. It should look uniform with no original coating material left on it. Something is definitely wrong.
      02-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #55
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey bud. After 300 miles your rotor wear shouldn't look like that at all. It should look uniform with no original coating material left on it. Something is definitely wrong.
ya thats what i thought, the rears rotors have no coating and have uniform wear.

im definitely, going to take it to another shop and see what they say
      02-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #56
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I had a second shop inspect the brakes and they said everything looks fine and they said its the rotors.

I have noticed my front rotors are dimpled and not drilled but my rears are drilled. is that normal?

Last edited by yoon_209; 02-11-2019 at 01:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 12:50 PM   #57
laemvmt
Rep
Drives: M-Sport F30 335i

Quote:
I had a second shop inspect the brakes and they said everything looks fine and they said its the rotors.

I have noticed my front rotors are dimpled and not drilled but my rears are drilled. is that normal?
After reading this thread, I believe i'm having the same issue. It's literally only coming from the front. Bugs the crap out of me, can't quite figure it out yet. I put the car up in the air and proceeded to spin the wheel to see if i could perhaps pin point where the noise was coming from. it honestly sounded like it was coming from the caliper. Did you ever figure out where the sound was coming from and did you find a solution for it? I recorded the sound, i would be super curious if it was the same noise you were getting.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #58
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by laemvmt View Post
Quote:

After reading this thread, I believe i'm having the same issue. It's literally only coming from the front. Bugs the crap out of me, can't quite figure it out yet. I put the car up in the air and proceeded to spin the wheel to see if i could perhaps pin point where the noise was coming from. it honestly sounded like it was coming from the caliper. Did you ever figure out where the sound was coming from and did you find a solution for it? I recorded the sound, i would be super curious if it was the same noise you were getting.
Every mechanic I spoke to said it jus the nature of the rotors. I haven't swapped pads yet. But I may go back to normal rotors after these finish
      09-08-2019, 10:15 PM   #59
laemvmt
Rep
Drives: M-Sport F30 335i

Quote:
Every mechanic I spoke to said it jus the nature of the rotors. I haven't swapped pads yet. But I may go back to normal rotors after these finish
So I actually got in contact with R1 Conepts and they're sending me new brake pads and hardware kit for the front. (keep in mind I just purchased the geomet rotors drilled and slotted about a week ago) They were pretty helpful and cool about the whole situation. But I also went ahead and ordered some generic blank disc rotors from oriely's just so that I can eliminate my doubt to see if its coming from the new dimpled and slotted rotors that i got from R1. Again this noise is only coming from the front, the rears are just fine. Even when I put the car up in the air, I don't get that weird sound when I spin the wheel. I'll keep you updated, out of curiosity ... can we send audio files through the forum ... i want to see if its the same noise you're getting.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #60
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So I actually got in contact with R1 Conepts and they're sending me new brake pads and hardware kit for the front. (keep in mind I just purchased the geomet rotors drilled and slotted about a week ago) They were pretty helpful and cool about the whole situation. But I also went ahead and ordered some generic blank disc rotors from oriely's just so that I can eliminate my doubt to see if its coming from the new dimpled and slotted rotors that i got from R1. Again this noise is only coming from the front, the rears are just fine. Even when I put the car up in the air, I don't get that weird sound when I spin the wheel. I'll keep you updated, out of curiosity ... can we send audio files through the forum ... i want to see if its the same noise you're getting.
mine are only the front too.

i dont have clips right now, but its a high speed clicking/buzzing noise, almost like when you put a can on the bike tire it makes that noise. the weirdst part is that the noise goes away when i actually brake, mine might be the pads tho since i put ceramics.
      09-16-2019, 09:26 PM   #61
Pinscher
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Your phone is literally a decibel meter. With a db app in hand, roll the wheel and poke your phone mic around..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2022, 11:33 PM   #62
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Bringing this thread back alive.

I am currently looking to replace my brakes. Came across a brake rotors called Dynamic Friction on Rockauto website and found out that Dynamic Friction Company uses the same address as R1 Concept, so concluded that they are the same company.

Anyway... Can we have 3 year update on how they holding up.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 06:17 AM   #63
GENAU
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Bringing this thread back alive.

I am currently looking to replace my brakes. Came across a brake rotors called Dynamic Friction on Rockauto website and found out that Dynamic Friction Company uses the same address as R1 Concept, so concluded that they are the same company.

Anyway... Can we have 3 year update on how they holding up.

Thanks in advance
I'm wondering the same thing for my 440i. Their website search function for your car is complete nonsense and little-to-nothing is in stock. I can find things on random website but the pricing is exorbitant. Plus, the poor quality control mentioned earlier in this thread has me concerned. If the zinc coating immediately failed I want a replacement not a discount on a new one.

I'll likely go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #64
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

I've ran through 2 sets (F+R twice) of R1 concepts rotors and 4 sets of (various brand) pads on my 3000gt over the last 10 years or so. I had the rotors turned between each set of pads. The e-line would not hold up to aggressive braking on a 4000lb car making well over stock power. When i switched to their "premium" rotors (step above e-line) on my 2nd set and went to EBC yellow pads i didnt have any more issues.

I probably wouldn't buy them on my 335 though, the prices look crazy based on my quick search.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #65
GENAU
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I've ran through 2 sets (F+R twice) of R1 concepts rotors and 4 sets of (various brand) pads on my 3000gt over the last 10 years or so. I had the rotors turned between each set of pads. The e-line would not hold up to aggressive braking on a 4000lb car making well over stock power. When i switched to their "premium" rotors (step above e-line) on my 2nd set and went to EBC yellow pads i didnt have any more issues.

I probably wouldn't buy them on my 335 though, the prices look crazy based on my quick search.
Yeah that's kinda where I'm at. At that point I may as well go to a more common brand such as Zimmermann
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 10:10 PM   #66
arsenal6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 428xi

Garage List
2015 bmw 428xi  [0.00]
Any feedback on these rotors?
Appreciate 0