F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Rear coil spacers
ARMA SPEED

04-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #23
328iX
David
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328iX F31

Update: ACS Germany is looking into compatible springs for my vehicle to drop the front an appropriate amount
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #24
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328dX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The weight difference between the F30 and the F31 may vary by engine and model - not all components will be ubiquitous, i.e. the brakes.

For the 330d the F31 weighs 65KG more than the F30, almost all of which will be due to the weight of the tailgate and the additional roof length.

When I had a full geo done (full fuel tank; ballasted for corner-weight adjustment) the weight distribution was 48/52% F/R. A car with a lighter engine, i.e. a 328d, will likely have a less even F/R weight distribution.

As people have found, it's difficult to get a precise F/R ride height just by swapping the springs, especially where the aftermarket parts are common across a model range. This is one of the big advantages of coilovers with separate adjustment for ride height in the damper bodies as well as spring preload.

Well, brakes are unsprung mass shouldn't affect ride height, the 330d is also not equivalent to the U.S 328d. the U.S 328d is your 135kw 320d.

I made another thread about f31 suspension discussion that talks about the negatives of most of the "affordable" coilovers.

Once again i'm not looking for level, just closer to level than ACS, and even the front lower than the rear is fine with me. just anything other than reverse rake
It never fails to surprise me when people ask for help on the Forum and then spout their expertise in reply.

Mentioning brakes was a bad example. My point was, there are other differences in vehicle weight and distribution apart from the obvious (saloon versus touring). Exhaust system, for example, which can also vary according to engine.

I'm well aware of the 28d lump. We have, or have had, a wide range of diesel 4-pots in the UK market i.e. 16d, 18d, 20d - all substantially lighter than the 25d, 30d, 35d, 40d and 50d 6-cylinder units, and will therefore have a different weight distribution.

Good luck getting your reverse rake sorted. It's a well known problem with ACS springs.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #25
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
It never fails to surprise me when people ask for help on the Forum and then spout their expertise in reply.

Mentioning brakes was a bad example. My point was, there are other differences in vehicle weight and distribution apart from the obvious (saloon versus touring). Exhaust system, for example, which can also vary according to engine.

I'm well aware of the 28d lump. We have, or have had, a wide range of diesel 4-pots in the UK market i.e. 16d, 18d, 20d - all substantially lighter than the 25d, 30d, 35d, 40d and 50d 6-cylinder units, and will therefore have a different weight distribution.

Good luck getting your reverse rake sorted. It's a well known problem with ACS springs.
"Spouting my expertise" is unrelated to a known fact on how your vehicle sits with X springs on X platform, that is the unknown for me. Thanks for your time, sorry you're easily upset.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:01 PM   #26
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I do know the F31 is heavier in the rear vs. front. It's a 49/51 split i remember reading somewhere here on the forums. My shocks aren't blown but it is a possibility they aren't as strong as they used to be.
I took your implicit advice and bought the same black caliper at Harbor Freight that you were using in your photos. Makes things so much easier and more accurate than the measurements with the tools that I previously used.

My car is the 2015 335i xdrive modified with Eibach (-06) spring kit for xDrive and Koni Special Active dampers for xDrive. The front tire has a larger gap as is normal from the factory. As you measured on your car, my front to rear gap difference is 11mm on both sides of the car, which is about 7/16".
Interestingly, both right sides are 2.6mm higher than the left sides. That's about 3/32", which isn't perceptible.

I forgot to measure the actual gap between the top of the tire and the fender lip. I usually place a straight edge across the top of the tire. I'll try that with the new calipers.

Hope you hear good news from Europe about your springs. Please keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #27
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
I do know the F31 is heavier in the rear vs. front. It's a 49/51 split i remember reading somewhere here on the forums. My shocks aren't blown but it is a possibility they aren't as strong as they used to be.
I took your implicit advice and bought the same black caliper at Harbor Freight that you were using in your photos. Makes things so much easier and more accurate than the measurements with the tools that I previously used.

My car is the 2015 335i xdrive modified with Eibach (-06) spring kit for xDrive and Koni Special Active dampers for xDrive. The front tire has a larger gap as is normal from the factory. As you measured on your car, my front to rear gap difference is 11mm on both sides of the car, which is about 7/16".
Interestingly, both right sides are 2.6mm higher than the left sides. That's about 3/32", which isn't perceptible.

I forgot to measure the actual gap between the top of the tire and the fender lip. I usually place a straight edge across the top of the tire. I'll try that with the new calipers.

Hope you hear good news from Europe about your springs. Please keep us posted!
Thank you for that. My car drops about 1/4" when filled up with fuel that could be what you're experiencing.

And yeah I'm trying to locate Eibach springs for my car. It's not sold anywhere by U.S retailers I'm having to buy off eBay from Poland.

Tried contacting ECS To order for me but he said since it's not stocked by U.S Eibach that he can't see or order it from his catalog but he's gonna try to get it for me. If not I'll resort to eBay.

I don't mind if the front sits higher but an almost 20mm gap with ACS is too much for me hopefully it brings it down to 11mm like yours.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 11:21 PM   #28
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for that. My car drops about 1/4" when filled up with fuel that could be what you're experiencing.

And yeah I'm trying to locate Eibach springs for my car. It's not sold anywhere by U.S retailers I'm having to buy off eBay from Poland.

Tried contacting ECS To order for me but he said since it's not stocked by U.S Eibach that he can't see or order it from his catalog but he's gonna try to get it for me. If not I'll resort to eBay.

I don't mind if the front sits higher but an almost 20mm gap with ACS is too much for me hopefully it brings it down to 11mm like yours.
In your photo, the rear end on your car really does look too low. I'm curious what shocks you have. Are they stock or upgraded? How does it ride if you have it loaded up with family and luggage?

Check out Amazon UK that automatically does the Euro or Pound conversion to US Dollars when you purchase. I was surprised to find some German-made parts there that aren't well distributed in the US. The UK was actually much cheaper, with reasonable shipping cost that was only about 4-5 days more than if I could have ordered it from a US retailer. One tip that I learned is that you will see a tax that is only supposed to be charged if an item is shipped between countries in the European Union. They are not supposed to charge the tax on shipments to the US but make sure to confirm if you buy from a European supplier (so they don't just add it to their profits like some websites seemed setup to do.)
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #29
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
In your photo, the rear end on your car really does look too low. I'm curious what shocks you have. Are they stock or upgraded? How does it ride if you have it loaded up with family and luggage?

Check out Amazon UK that automatically does the Euro or Pound conversion to US Dollars when you purchase. I was surprised to find some German-made parts there that aren't well distributed in the US. The UK was actually much cheaper, with reasonable shipping cost that was only about 4-5 days more than if I could have ordered it from a US retailer. One tip that I learned is that you will see a tax that is only supposed to be charged if an item is shipped between countries in the European Union. They are not supposed to charge the tax on shipments to the US but make sure to confirm if you buy from a European supplier (so they don't just add it to their profits like some websites seemed setup to do.)
Good luck!
I am on stock struts, with ACS springs it rides just like stock I honestly can't tell a difference, the handling is much better, but the comfort is exactly the same imo.

I will definitely check out the amazon uk site today
Appreciate 1
sspade2464.50
      04-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #30
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Received an update from ACS, they have a spring that can lower the front 10mm, going to order it Monday and try it out
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 05:32 PM   #31
BDoubleYou
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 2014

HOw did your front spring install turn out?

HI - wondering if you ever got those front springs installed and if your ride height differential, front to rear, looks better now. I have the same issue and it drives me bonkers looking at it. I keep thinking maybe it levels out when I’m driving it (from my weight) but I can’t see that so I don’t care!

Hoping to hear that those front springs sorted your problem.
Cheers, Brian
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:27 PM   #32
328iX
David
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDoubleYou View Post
HI - wondering if you ever got those front springs installed and if your ride height differential, front to rear, looks better now. I have the same issue and it drives me bonkers looking at it. I keep thinking maybe it levels out when I’m driving it (from my weight) but I can’t see that so I don’t care!

Hoping to hear that those front springs sorted your problem.
Cheers, Brian
There was a post I made on here with the updated pictures. I believe it's on the F31 suspension discussion thread. It made an improvement but was not perfect. Was still off by like 5mm or so.

I would just get coilovers
Appreciate 0