F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Adding Active Cruise Control???
Studio RSR

03-17-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
Adding Active Cruise Control???

Is there any info out there on whether it's possible to add Active Cruise Control to a F30 335? Just wondering as that was one option I don't have and it would be nice in some of this farkin DC traffic!

-NVE
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

I too have thought about adding this. The problem is finding the parts. The part #'s on realoem and etk for the DSC don't match what's actually on the part, so finding a used DSC that supports ACC has been a challenge for me. You would also need to replace the ICM, and get the radar and bracket, and the Driver Assistance switch and Steering Wheel switches, as well as making your own wiring.

There are a couple videos from some other countries that claim to be a demo of a F30 with retrofitted ACC, but they don't list the parts. The thing I want to know is what they replaced, since the F30 shows different versions of some of the Brake Pipelines based on if you have ACC or not, but without trying it, it is hard to tell if they "actually" need to be replaced.
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I think the ACC sensor in the grille is over $1000.
      03-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
NVETHIS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
I too have thought about adding this. The problem is finding the parts. The part #'s on realoem and etk for the DSC don't match what's actually on the part, so finding a used DSC that supports ACC has been a challenge for me. You would also need to replace the ICM, and get the radar and bracket, and the Driver Assistance switch and Steering Wheel switches, as well as making your own wiring.

There are a couple videos from some other countries that claim to be a demo of a F30 with retrofitted ACC, but they don't list the parts. The thing I want to know is what they replaced, since the F30 shows different versions of some of the Brake Pipelines based on if you have ACC or not, but without trying it, it is hard to tell if they "actually" need to be replaced.
This is the same information I'm coming up with, figured I'd put a feeler out there to see if someone had better luck than I did. Guess I'll just have to make sure I add it on my NEXT beamer

-NVE
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
MunchTIME
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M-Sport

Garage List
2015 328i  [0.00]
I looked into it on my e60 and parts were way expensive, cheapest I could find was around $4k for everything I needed.

I've got Driver's assistance plus now though, I'm wondering if it uses the same distance sensor as the active cruise control and maybe the retrofit is easier with this package on an F30. Anyone have any input?

His tombstone read: "Speed may have been a factor."
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
roxxor
Major
Rep

Nope, two different systems unfortunately. The Driver Assistance camera(KAFAS) monitors for Lane Departure, Speed Limit Info, and High Beam Assist(if equipped). The ACC system is controlled by the ICM, and requires the different version of the DSC and the radar unit up front.

Some early model F30's had a combination ACC/Adaptive M Suspension ICM, so if you were lucky to have an early model M-Sport you may not have to replace the ICM, however after 11/2012 that was replaced with the ICM and ICM High. Like I said above, finding the correct DSC part number has been the challenge for me, I may start looking at local dealers to find a 2012/2013 F30 with ACC to go look at and get the DSC Part # from.

On the auction site, both the DSC and ICM seem to average anywhere from around $200-$400. Radar Units seem to be in the same price range, and the Driver Assist switch can be found for between $50-$100, so depending on what needed to be replaced, you could potentially get it done for less than $1k. Even if you do have to replace the brake Pipes, some of those parts have to be ordered from overseas, but you'll still only be looking at around $200 for those parts as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #7
MunchTIME
Private
Rep

Garage List
2015 328i  [0.00]
Bummer, I was hoping it would be less than that but it is definitely more doable than on the older models. Keep us up to date on that part number if you end up with it while I continue to curse the bimmer gods for making this difficult for us.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2016, 11:24 PM   #8
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchTIME View Post
Bummer, I was hoping it would be less than that but it is definitely more doable than on the older models. Keep us up to date on that part number if you end up with it while I continue to curse the bimmer gods for making this difficult for us.
Lol will do, I actually drove about an hour to a dealer the other day who had a used F30 with ACC on their site, but when I got there, of course luck would have it that it had already been sold and was gone...

Literally searched within a good 150 mile radius, and no one has a used 2012-2013 with the ACC. Maybe one of the forums members who has one could look under the hood and give us the part #
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 12:56 PM   #9
MunchTIME
Private
Rep

Garage List
2015 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Lol will do, I actually drove about an hour to a dealer the other day who had a used F30 with ACC on their site, but when I got there, of course luck would have it that it had already been sold and was gone...

Literally searched within a good 150 mile radius, and no one has a used 2012-2013 with the ACC. Maybe one of the forums members who has one could look under the hood and give us the part #
I'll keep a look out, ACC is a rare feature. I don't think these people ordering custom builds from the factory realize how awesome that feature is.

His tombstone read: "Speed may have been a factor."
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
roxxor
Major
Rep

Just an update on this: Turned out I was back near that dealer I visited a week or so ago, and magically the car that they "didn't have" and "must have been sold" was sitting out front and center on the lot... So, I was thankfully able to look at it and get a pic of the DSC area before I got "approached"

The Brake Pipes are definitely different between the two, which really makes me think they would need to be replaced in order to make this work correctly. As for the DSC, the part number on the black control box was 6860733, so the part # on the pump part itself would be 6860732(since the non-ACC version is 6860731/6860730). Other ways to tell them apart are that on the drum part, the base version says "DSC LK BASIS", whereas the ACC version will say "DSC ACC". The bracket is also different between the two, as seen in the pic below, as the ACC version has a clip for one of the brake pipes.

The biggest challenge now would be finding an ACC version of the DSC. Out of all the DSC's on ebay right now, not one is the ACC model that I have found. Also, they are different based on years. If you have a 2013 or older, you can only use the part # above or the one that I assume is 6862248/6862249, since the basic version is 6862246/6862247. If you have a 2014 or newer, it would be different part #'s.
Appreciate 2
      04-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchTIME
Quote:

I'll keep a look out, ACC is a rare feature. I don't think these people ordering custom builds from the factory realize how awesome that feature is.
Tell me about it! ACC is awesome. If you like conventional cruise control, you'll love Active Cruise Control.
      04-03-2016, 01:28 AM   #12
WinterWarrior
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

You buggers made me want it! lol. My car was made 11/22/2012. It is a 328xi ;Luxury line with executive,driver assist,premium packages. what do i need to do to get it?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #13
roxxor
Major
Rep

So far it looks like you would need to add the radar unit and the associated wiring, swap the DSC and the ICM, swap your steering wheel controls, and add the driver assistance control panel below the headlight switch. You would also possibly need to replace your front and rear DSC pulse generators. The last part that I'm not 100% sure on is if you would need to replace the brake pipes. Depending on how much the ICM and DSC cost you, the ballpark looks to be around $1200-$1500, so not too far off what it would cost from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 11:01 PM   #14
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

On my 2013 M Sport I *thought* I was getting ACC, but it turned out they had an issue putting the Radar unit in the M Grill. Of course, in 2014 they had no issue with it. I have the cameras and tone and blaring rear of red car on my Dash when it thinks I am about to have a rear end collision while the brakes tighten up for my manual response....but no Automatic Breaking.

So could I purchase the 2014 front radar unit and get the car coded to work? Would I have the other equipment? I assume with the switch and everything, I would be good to go with what is already there.

As an aside I was so convinced I had it I went out an rode right on the bumper of other cars trying to get it to activate. Went back to Dealer saying it didn't work. More than a little pissed as I wanted it, had it selected, but when I changed to M Sport it didn't scream that actual ACC was not available on the 2013 Model...it quietly modified it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 09:47 AM   #15
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
On my 2013 M Sport I *thought* I was getting ACC, but it turned out they had an issue putting the Radar unit in the M Grill. Of course, in 2014 they had no issue with it. I have the cameras and tone and blaring rear of red car on my Dash when it thinks I am about to have a rear end collision while the brakes tighten up for my manual response....but no Automatic Breaking.

So could I purchase the 2014 front radar unit and get the car coded to work? Would I have the other equipment? I assume with the switch and everything, I would be good to go with what is already there.

As an aside I was so convinced I had it I went out an rode right on the bumper of other cars trying to get it to activate. Went back to Dealer saying it didn't work. More than a little pissed as I wanted it, had it selected, but when I changed to M Sport it didn't scream that actual ACC was not available on the 2013 Model...it quietly modified it.
I believe that even with the Driver Assistance and collision warning, you would still need to replace all of the parts I mentioned. Easiest way to tell is if you go look at your DSC as pictured above, you would need to check what part # or wording was on it. If it says ACC then you are good to go, but my guess is that it will still be the LK BASIS.

As for the radar unit, just like the DSC, I don't believe those are interchangeable. Normally a part will show supersession with interchangeable part #'s, however on the radar unit, any F30 built prior to 07/2013 uses a different radar unit than models built after that date. I am not sure what exactly the difference would be, but I wouldn't recommend attempting to intermix the parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #16
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
I believe that even with the Driver Assistance and collision warning, you would still need to replace all of the parts I mentioned. Easiest way to tell is if you go look at your DSC as pictured above, you would need to check what part # or wording was on it. If it says ACC then you are good to go, but my guess is that it will still be the LK BASIS.

As for the radar unit, just like the DSC, I don't believe those are interchangeable. Normally a part will show supersession with interchangeable part #'s, however on the radar unit, any F30 built prior to 07/2013 uses a different radar unit than models built after that date. I am not sure what exactly the difference would be, but I wouldn't recommend attempting to intermix the parts.
My engine compartment looks NOTHING like the photos, but as it's an AH3, I'm not surprised.

I'm having a rough time even finding the DSC
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 08:56 AM   #17
roxxor
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
My engine compartment looks NOTHING like the photos, but as it's an AH3, I'm not surprised.

I'm having a rough time even finding the DSC
DSC should still be in the same place in the engine bay. Driver's side, near the firewall right near the Hood support strut. You can see it without removing the plastic cover panel, but it helps to move it out of the way by turning the 3 hex tabs and pulling up.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #18
HansiHinterseer
Rep
Drives: 2016 328d wagon

I just started a similar thread on Bimmerfest, and it turns out you guys had already gotten the party started!

The biggest cost driver is definitely the DSC and ICM units, since they're so rare. Even the radar sensor can be bought comparatively cheaply.

To echo what roxxor wrote, here's what the correct DSC should look like:

Name:  IMG_8231 (1).jpg
Views: 31923
Size:  37.3 KB

Last edited by HansiHinterseer; 06-03-2016 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Tell me about it! ACC is awesome. If you like conventional cruise control, you'll love Active Cruise Control.
me too. When I went to buy my 330e I was told that most BMWs sold in the US don't have this feature. It turned out that there were exactly six 330es in the US (or on a boat headed to the US) so my dealer ended up buying the car from a dealer in another state and trucking it to my state. I can't figure out why it is so rare, probably because BMW doesn't inlcude it in a package but makes it a separate add on.

To me, this is an essential feature and I think it works even better in stop and go traffic like city traffic.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 05:26 AM   #20
MrMarvin
electrified
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330e -17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
me too. When I went to buy my 330e I was told that most BMWs sold in the US don't have this feature. It turned out that there were exactly six 330es in the US (or on a boat headed to the US) so my dealer ended up buying the car from a dealer in another state and trucking it to my state. I can't figure out why it is so rare, probably because BMW doesn't inlcude it in a package but makes it a separate add on.

To me, this is an essential feature and I think it works even better in stop and go traffic like city traffic.
Hello Steve, i recently purchased a 330e here in Sweden. ACC and NAV is standard over here.

The only thing that buggers me is that you have to press the res button or the pedal to keep moving again, if you have been stopped for more that 3 seconds. Looking for a way to bump this up to maybe 10 or 15 seconds, that would be ideal!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #21
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarvin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post

Hello Steve, i recently purchased a 330e here in Sweden. ACC and NAV is standard over here.

The only thing that buggers me is that you have to press the res button or the pedal to keep moving again, if you have been stopped for more that 3 seconds. Looking for a way to bump this up to maybe 10 or 15 seconds, that would be ideal!
I hear you can program a longer standby time but I haven't tried.
      11-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #22
roxxor
Major
Rep

On the topic of the DSC module, has anyone ever figured out what the difference is between the shorter gray version and the longer black version? I am curious if this was just a design change and function remains the same, in my year of searching for an ACC DSC module, I have once or twice come across the shorter gray version marked for ACC, but I hesitated as I was not sure of the difference between the two.
Appreciate 0