F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Brake Bleeding Procedure on ISTA/D
GetBMWParts

10-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #1
F30MGM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Brake Bleeding Procedure on ISTA/D

I read so much about how so many people have a mushy pedal when they DIY, I DIY'd the brake bleed on my 340i but after that my pedal felt mushy. So i bled it a week or so later with ISTA/D by activating the DSC pump. Needless to say my pedal was much firmer after activating the DSC pump motor to get some air out of the brakes.

Steps that i did were:

Vehicle Information
-Control unit list
--Dynamic Stability Control (DSC)
---Call up ECU functions.

Afterwards:

You will get this screen, just click "Pump motor on" and "Trigger Component".
You will now here the DSC pump cycle and you have sucessfully activated the "bleed mode"

I did this one time on each wheel starting from the wheel furthest from the master cylinder so LR RR RL LR (L=Left, R=Right).

Hope this helps somebody
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
Brobbo
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 320D Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30MGM View Post
I read so much about how so many people have a mushy pedal when they DIY, I DIY'd the brake bleed on my 340i but after that my pedal felt mushy. So i bled it a week or so later with ISTA/D by activating the DSC pump. Needless to say my pedal was much firmer after activating the DSC pump motor to get some air out of the brakes.

Steps that i did were:

Vehicle Information
-Control unit list

Afterwards:

You will now here the DSC pump cycle and you have sucessfully activated the "bleed mode"

I did this one time on each wheel starting from the wheel furthest from the master cylinder so LR RR RL LR (L=Left, R=Right).

Hope this helps somebody
can you use just a E-NET cable for this?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
F30MGM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobbo View Post
Quote:

Steps that i did were:

Vehicle Information
-Control unit list

Afterwards:

Hope this helps somebody
Yes you can. I used Ebay e net cable
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
You can basically use ENET cable for all of this with the exception of programming. That will require an ICOM.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
charles.soori
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F85 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816
Quote:
You can basically use ENET cable for all of this with the exception of programming. That will require an ICOM.
you can program(software update) with enet cable as well using esys.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Alan_Tan
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330E

successfully active the pump 5 second with your instruction, but is weird no brake oil are coming out ... unless i step the brake then the oil is out ...
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
F30MGM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Tan View Post
successfully active the pump 5 second with your instruction, but is weird no brake oil are coming out ... unless i step the brake then the oil is out ...
This is the bleed the abs as well not to force brake fluid out. I use this in conjunction with a motive power bleeder
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #8
Mr Podman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3 Series GT Stage 0.5

You don't need a computer to bleed brakes.
You just need to know how to bleed brakes.

Just ask Siri or Alexa how to bleed brakes.

podman
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 10:34 PM   #9
F30MGM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Podman View Post
You don't need a computer to bleed brakes.
You just need to know how to bleed brakes.

Just ask Siri or Alexa how to bleed brakes.

podman
Brakes feel spongy without computer. It will work but the pedal feel is different. I've tried this multiple times
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

It would be helpful if you specified how you bled the brakes that left them spongy. I've never heard of there being a problem when it's done with the two man method or with pressure bleeding.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #11
Alan_Tan
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Quote:
This is the bleed the abs as well not to force brake fluid out. I use this in conjunction with a motive power bleeder
ok bro, will try again when my motive power bleeder arrive...

sorry to ask again, what you means is when bleeding with motive power bleeder, then active the abs right ?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #12
Alan_Tan
Enlisted Member
Malaysia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
It would be helpful if you specified how you bled the brakes that left them spongy. I've never heard of there being a problem when it's done with the two man method or with pressure bleeding.
im the one who use the basic 2 man bleeding way but still spongy on 1st brake pedal press, 2nd pedal become normal ....
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It's not unusual for one press to leave air in the line. The two man method is to have the first man open the bleeder screw, the second man then presses the pedal to the floor and holds it there. The first man closes the screw, the second man pumps the brakes a few times to be sure it feels firm. If it doesn't feel firm repeat the process until it does. One man can do it this way if he has a brake pedal hold down tool.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
e2vincent
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 2006 330i, e89 2012 z4 28i

Also remember to periodically check and fill up the brake fluid level in the reservoir. Don't want to risk pumping air by accident into the brake line.

pumping the brake: soft -> firm == good
pumping the brake: firm -> soft == very bad!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #15
GoNz0
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E36 328s

Just to be annoying, that is not how you bleed the brakes, this is how you do it http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...ml#post5838729

Under that option is the special mode if you are having trouble purging the system like I had to do today.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Using a pressure bleeder is an option, but manual bleeding has worked well for some ninety years.

The main advantage to a pressure bleeder is it's an easy one man operation. It doesn't work any better than manual bleeding.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 04:49 AM   #17
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

I have the pressure tank .. and ista. Do I need to use the computer or not? I can't find anything .. apart from conflicting information .. on if it is truly needed or at all beneficial. What does that pump actually do that the tank can't??
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 05:05 AM   #18
Joshd63
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2015 F32 430d

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
I have the pressure tank .. and ista. Do I need to use the computer or not? I can't find anything .. apart from conflicting information .. on if it is truly needed or at all beneficial. What does that pump actually do that the tank can't??
The pressure bleeder is to force the fluid through the system and ista (computer) is used to cycle the dsc pump as you are bleeding the brakes to get rid of any trapped air/sludge/ old oil that would otherwise be stuck in the pump if you didn't cycle it.

Using ista is the proper way to do it as without it it can lead to a spongy pedal feel
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #19
GoNz0
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E36 328s

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
You need the pressure kit attached at all times during the ISTA program m8, some of it is just open the nipple and click go for the pump to cycle, other parts involve pumping the pedal several times with no pump running but the pressure kit attached to prevent air coming back in, and finally in the special program I had to use after changing the servo you have to pump the pedal while the pump is running. It worked well, I now have the solid pedal back. It took 2.5lt to do it all in my case.

I retired my gunson eezibleed and upgraded to a Sealey VS820, it was worth every penny.

Also if you have a TPS factors near you the dot4 ESP low viscosity is just over £4 a litre, bargain.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNz0 View Post
You need the pressure kit attached at all times during the ISTA program m8, some of it is just open the nipple and click go for the pump to cycle, other parts involve pumping the pedal several times with no pump running but the pressure kit attached to prevent air coming back in, and finally in the special program I had to use after changing the servo you have to pump the pedal while the pump is running. It worked well, I now have the solid pedal back. It took 2.5lt to do it all in my case.

I retired my gunson eezibleed and upgraded to a Sealey VS820, it was worth every penny.

Also if you have a TPS factors near you the dot4 ESP low viscosity is just over £4 a litre, bargain.
hiya, any chance you could talk through the procedure here?
i have the same Sealey bleeder kit, and did it last year with no issue before a track day - but i never involved ISTA....

i'm now stepping into this ISTA world so i can do the flush involving it as it sounds like that is the best possible way to do it.

so...
- connect the bleeder pump up, pressurize, etc....
- still go in sequence, RR,RL,FR,FL, as before, but now
- get on ISTA and start program to bleed?
- what happens exactly does it just make some noises and how do you know when its finished? would i still have to watch the tube carefully as the old fluid flushes through into my catcher bottle and close the nipple when i see the new stuff come through with no air etc.... like before?
Appreciate 0