F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > XDelete- the answer to XDrive?
proTUNING Freaks

06-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #463
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

From what we know so far - yes.
IF they can and want to actually do it.
Another guy had to go to a third party to get this fixed.

But yes - it appears to be a software/firmware issue only, not hardware.
      07-01-2020, 11:40 AM   #464
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Hundreds, if not thousands, of successful installs just on this platform. Years of more positive data across multiple models, same absolutely positive ratio, and still not convinced. User error is a huge factor, but this guy continues to ignore facts.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2020, 12:03 PM   #465
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

If you are talking about the messenger (me), I am doing exactly the opposite - making aware of the facts.
- xDelete for E and F - not the same, as admitted by the developer, who needed months of development and testing before release and has elected not to introduce the full functionality to F as available for E
- xDelete for F3x available since end of last year
- unknown how many users the product has for F3x and how often they have used it, given that the product was introduced before the winter, when most take advantage of XDrive
- Clearly a reasonable number of satisfied users
- Several users reporting bricked TCs requiring full reprogramming by a third party and so far no effective support from RBT. Reasons so far unknown.

Any of the above incorrect?
Those are the facts.
The rest is up to the (potential) users. Not giving anyone any advice. And neither should you. Stick to the facts and don't ignore any of them.

I am monitoring closely myself to draw my own conclusions. But that's my own business.
      07-01-2020, 04:32 PM   #466
bambozo
Rep
Drives: f30

What are broken TCs?

Also would like to ask if anyone knows if i switch driving mode on F30 to eco pro is x-drive still active or it is only RWD?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 12:43 AM   #467
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

TC = Transfer Case

EcoPro has no effect over xDrive.
      07-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #468
blumagic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xdrive , 2013 SHO

for examples sake, if each wheel and tire weigh 40lbs. It should be more efficient to turn 80lbs in just the rear than 160lbs on all four corners with the sacrifice of grip no?

my car feels quicker with xdelete, not like i gained 30hp or tq or anything, but more like when i dropped lightweight bucket seats in my old cars quicker.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #469
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post
for examples sake, if each wheel and tire weigh 40lbs. It should be more efficient to turn 80lbs in just the rear than 160lbs on all four corners with the sacrifice of grip no?

my car feels quicker with xdelete, not like i gained 30hp or tq or anything, but more like when i dropped lightweight bucket seats in my old cars quicker.
The front tires are turning regardless.

So much confusion in here. In RWD mode the front tires turn, the axles turn, the differential turns, the front drive shaft turns. That's what physically turns. It's just the clutch packs are disengaged from that portion of the system.

It's good, but think of it as "dead weight" that you can't do much about.
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #470
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumagic View Post

So your front wheels don't spin when driving in RWD? That would be new to the world of physics

Everything that moves draws energy and power. Irrespective of how you set it in motion - through the transfer case or through the road. No difference.

Think of it like this - if your thinking was correct, pulling a trailer should not cost any power/energy. After all - you are not "turning" the trailer's wheels, are you? So since they are turned by the road, you are not losing energy on them or the trailer, when pulling it (so that the wheels can rotate and you can move it from A to B).......
You see how absurd that sounds

Last edited by Skyhigh; 07-02-2020 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2020, 02:12 PM   #471
bambozo
Rep
Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
TC = Transfer Case

EcoPro has no effect over xDrive.
Did they broke transfer case software wise so they need to reprogram transfer case to turn on xdrive again?

Or hardware wise?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #472
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Softwarewise.
      07-09-2020, 02:44 AM   #473
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So your front wheels don't spin when driving in RWD? That would be new to the world of physics

Everything that moves draws energy and power. Irrespective of how you set it in motion - through the transfer case or through the road. No difference.

Think of it like this - if your thinking was correct, pulling a trailer should not cost any power/energy. After all - you are not "turning" the trailer's wheels, are you? So since they are turned by the road, you are not losing energy on them or the trailer, when pulling it (so that the wheels can rotate and you can move it from A to B).......
You see how absurd that sounds
The road does not turn the wheels. I see what you did there, but there's so much misinformation here, as well as deception.

Your front wheels move, they are not powered. Same with the driveshafts and differential. Oh and the front drive driveshaft. All dead weight that spins.

No magic to that, and I'm surprised some people are just plain making shit up here.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #474
FancyTie
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Package 6spd

As I won't read all pages, is xDelete safe? Anyone tried it for real? I don't want anyone answer me if you haven't tried it or have arguments that make sense.

Are people able to go back to xDrive?
I've contacted them and they answered me yes. Is is true? I've seen someone on this thread that tries to convince people not to buy it because he's just mad at xDelete for no reason. His only reason is : ''Why buy and AWD if you want it RWD? You should have bought it RWD lol.'' Maybe because we want both world?

xDelete seems to be a great option on other platforms before F30 so why would someone not buy it for the F30?

Can it breaks something on the car? Doesn't seems to!

What is bad with xDelete is that people will still floor the pedal as they would with xDrive and crash their car. I see nothing else bad with xDelete.

Please let me know if I'm wrong and if so why.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 12:44 AM   #475
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Let me get this straight: So you ask 10 questions, all of which discussed at length in the thread, and you request we repeat the entire content once again exclusively for you, as you do not wish to read the old posts but would prefer to read the same content, just written freshly and specifically for you?

Ok, sure.
lens2069.50
LYTSOUT188.50
zole2112146.50
      07-17-2020, 03:00 AM   #476
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Probably going to do the same in the bootmod3 thread. Lol.

I read every single page and thread on bootmod3 before I bought it. Did the same with xDelete.

Let me not research something before modifying my $60k car. Lol.
Appreciate 2
Supr3me551.00
      07-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #477
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me get this straight: So you ask 10 questions, all of which discussed at length in the thread, and you request we repeat the entire content once again exclusively for you, as you do not wish to read the old posts but would prefer to read the same content, just written freshly and specifically for you?

Ok, sure.

Brilliant. Don't know how this new generation thinks. I should save this and quote over and over!
Appreciate 4
Skyhigh1879.00
chowser512025.00
zole2112146.50
      07-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #478
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcintoshf30 View Post
I've been running xDelete for almost 6 months straight now; even through PA's "winter". Definitely noticed that my tank of gas lasts longer than with xDrive on. Unless you've never driven a RWD car, pretty much most BMW's lol, you don't need to worry about being in RWD, it's just a different mind sight of driving you have to do. LSD just got installed so gonna stay RWD for a bit longer but honestly really curious to see how this car handles when pushed hard with xdrive on with limited slip
I have been looking for a lsd rear diff for xdrive f30's but was reading the rwd ones dont fit. Which lsd are you running and how do you like it? I just got xdelete myself and would definitely prefer a lsd.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #479
obeeone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive

Garage List
xDelete, My Take and Questions

Been running xDelete on and off since around October, mostly on/awd for winter and have flashed about 10-15 times. I do have issues connecting which may or may not be my ethernet adapter to lightning cable, but if I keep trying it'll connect eventually.

I had some concerns with all the updates in the beginning as each of them had options then no options and then changes in the clutch calibration setting, first engine had to run, now it doesn't need to. I still question whether they have truly figured out the calibration, but I've already gone down that rabbit hole so if my TC explodes I'll address it then.

Also, I did ask them directly why they changed all the settings and calibrations, but their only reply was they found they didn't need to have the car running to properly set the clutches. Also, they addressed the issue with multiple options like custom, snow, etc. and stated the F30 TC is a light version of the E series and are much more prone to wear and tear.

Now for the functionality I have had no issues turning the TC on/off and no unusual noises while turning with things back on. Also, as others have stated the car feels more 'light footed' to put it in RWD only and steering feels better on turn in etc. I have MHD and Xhp installed as well so I'm waiting for a cool night to run some logs to validate a difference in power to the ground (if any) on some 4th gear pulls back to back AWD vs RWD.

My last note and question for others is the cars traction control system will kick in even in 6th gear if I accelerate even moderately in sport mode (anyone else seen this). I must be in sport+ or have DSC fully off so that traction control does not limit power even though there is clearly no wheel slip. I am wondering if there is an expected torque in the TC that when not being transferred to the front wheels limits the power even without the ABS sensors seeing a slip condition. It's all I can think as I know I am not spinning the tires in 6th at 3000 rpm on moderate to hard acceleration, but clearly power is cut and the traction light flashes on the dash.

So hopefully I'll get some logs and post up some virtual dyno graphs for reference albeit most of the data will be subjective, but fun anyway. I'm also looking to pick up Dragy for this experiment to run some 100-200 which might be a better indicator. Just something to do while I kill time during the pandemic.

P.S. I initially thought the Thor wifi adapter would work to flash xDelete on the F30 as that wasn't too clear when I bought it, however seems most websites have clearly stated that now, but it does see live data and read the TC codes if needed. Weird. Oh well, it works for XHP and MHD anyway.
Appreciate 3
      07-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #480
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Quote:

Ok, sure.

Brilliant. Don't know how this new generation thinks. I should save this and quote over and over!
Why are you assuming that poster is "new generation"? Laziness or ineptitude isn't relegated to just younger people.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #481
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Why are you assuming that poster is "new generation"? Laziness or ineptitude isn't relegated to just younger people.
True but in real life interactions I have found this to be true.

They want it now and want someone to do it for them.

Just last night I stopped to check a car on the side of the road. Some mid 20s guy with a flat tire wanted me to change his tire. I was like you’re off the road. Learn to do something for yourself. Youtube it. I’ll drop a flare.

He ended up calling a tow truck. 😂
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 02:50 PM   #482
F30RiK
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13' 335 xdrive M-sport 6 Speed

I want to buy it but too scared about bricking my tc. I'll wait a few months and see by then lol
Appreciate 1
Skyhigh1879.00
      08-13-2020, 05:42 PM   #483
codestar
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Model S P100D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeeone View Post
Been running xDelete on and off since around October, mostly on/awd for winter and have flashed about 10-15 times. I do have issues connecting which may or may not be my ethernet adapter to lightning cable, but if I keep trying it'll connect eventually.

I had some concerns with all the updates in the beginning as each of them had options then no options and then changes in the clutch calibration setting, first engine had to run, now it doesn't need to. I still question whether they have truly figured out the calibration, but I've already gone down that rabbit hole so if my TC explodes I'll address it then.

Also, I did ask them directly why they changed all the settings and calibrations, but their only reply was they found they didn't need to have the car running to properly set the clutches. Also, they addressed the issue with multiple options like custom, snow, etc. and stated the F30 TC is a light version of the E series and are much more prone to wear and tear.

Now for the functionality I have had no issues turning the TC on/off and no unusual noises while turning with things back on. Also, as others have stated the car feels more 'light footed' to put it in RWD only and steering feels better on turn in etc. I have MHD and Xhp installed as well so I'm waiting for a cool night to run some logs to validate a difference in power to the ground (if any) on some 4th gear pulls back to back AWD vs RWD.

My last note and question for others is the cars traction control system will kick in even in 6th gear if I accelerate even moderately in sport mode (anyone else seen this). I must be in sport+ or have DSC fully off so that traction control does not limit power even though there is clearly no wheel slip. I am wondering if there is an expected torque in the TC that when not being transferred to the front wheels limits the power even without the ABS sensors seeing a slip condition. It's all I can think as I know I am not spinning the tires in 6th at 3000 rpm on moderate to hard acceleration, but clearly power is cut and the traction light flashes on the dash.

So hopefully I'll get some logs and post up some virtual dyno graphs for reference albeit most of the data will be subjective, but fun anyway. I'm also looking to pick up Dragy for this experiment to run some 100-200 which might be a better indicator. Just something to do while I kill time during the pandemic.

P.S. I initially thought the Thor wifi adapter would work to flash xDelete on the F30 as that wasn't too clear when I bought it, however seems most websites have clearly stated that now, but it does see live data and read the TC codes if needed. Weird. Oh well, it works for XHP and MHD anyway.
I've stopped using xdelete due to the TC system. I'm 6mt running bm3 st2 e30 with 275/35/19 rear Pirelli's. If I have a heavy foot in 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd, the TC in all settings aside from DSC off will noticeably cut power pretty hard.

Even with the wider rear tires it's pretty much impossible to launch hard in rwd mode without majorly slipping the clutch. AWD just seems to work so much better with how the system is calibrated for my car. With that said xdelete was pretty fun with less power

I've driven a friend's m4 comp pack and the TC was waaaay less intrusive even with the extra power and same tires.

Oh well, I'll stay AWD until the 6mt g82 is released :
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #484
UGA99
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 335i xdrive 6MT

Picking up my 6MT 335i xdrive friday and really thinking about the xdelete since I live in georgia. Anybody been running it for an extended period that can speak to their experience? My plan would be set it and be done.
Appreciate 0