F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Drivetrain malfunction
ARMA SPEED

04-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
Biima
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xDrive

Drivetrain malfunction

Hi all, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

One day I started it up and was idling but the engine ran really rough. Then it was fine so I started driving, about 50 ft down the road it started running really rough again, gave me a "Drivetrain Malfunction" on the dash, and then stalled. I tried to start it again but it wouldn't.

I tried replacing the fuel injectors, spark plugs are good, no cylinder leak. It cranks when I try to start it but nothing. If anybody has any suggestions or has had this experience I would be forever grateful if you pointed me in the right direction.

I have a 2013 BMW 328i Drive, sedan, turbo, 4 Cyl, N26B20A Sulev, F30, in USA (Mass).

Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 05:27 PM   #2
thejeremyman9
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

What prompted you to replace the injectors?

What codes is it showing / did it show?

Any mods/tune?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Ilonlabp
Registered
Rep
Drives: Man

декоративный водопад

Доброго времени суток товарищи
Наша компания мы занимаем первое место по качеству и цене производства аква продукции в Харькове. Вас может заинтерсовать:
водопады декоративные
– сделаете Ваше помещение уютнее и привлекательнее, создаст теплую релаксирующую обстановку.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
BMWILUVU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biima View Post
Hi all, hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

One day I started it up and was idling but the engine ran really rough. Then it was fine so I started driving, about 50 ft down the road it started running really rough again, gave me a "Drivetrain Malfunction" on the dash, and then stalled. I tried to start it again but it wouldn't.

I tried replacing the fuel injectors, spark plugs are good, no cylinder leak. It cranks when I try to start it but nothing. If anybody has any suggestions or has had this experience I would be forever grateful if you pointed me in the right direction.

I have a 2013 BMW 328i Drive, sedan, turbo, 4 Cyl, N26B20A Sulev, F30, in USA (Mass).

Thank you!!!
Start with reading the codes and letting us know your mods. Drivetrain malfunction could throw alot of different codes. Did you swap coils to see if the problem moved? Replacing injectors is one of the last things you do only after you've checked everything else.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Have you done any work on the car lately? Did you disconnect any intake or intercooler pipes? A vacuum leak can cause what you're describing.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:50 PM   #6
sick_guy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

I had the same issue a couple of months back. It would go on and off until one day while driving in the limp mode it gave me a low oil pressure warning and told me to pull over immediately and turn off the car. Afterwards I could not even get it to turn over. I was out of warranty and worried that it would cost me an arm and leg. However, upon taking it into bmw and having it diagnosed I was informed that all the repairs were covered under the SULEV warranty. Its an extended warranty for various engine parts. The warranty covered all my parts, labor and the diagnosis of the issue. Check it out if you haven't repaired your vehicle yet
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SCAN-20200226150309035.pdf (85.4 KB, 11 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
thejeremyman9
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_guy View Post
I had the same issue a couple of months back. It would go on and off until one day while driving in the limp mode it gave me a low oil pressure warning and told me to pull over immediately and turn off the car. Afterwards I could not even get it to turn over. I was out of warranty and worried that it would cost me an arm and leg. However, upon taking it into bmw and having it diagnosed I was informed that all the repairs were covered under the SULEV warranty. Its an extended warranty for various engine parts. The warranty covered all my parts, labor and the diagnosis of the issue. Check it out if you haven't repaired your vehicle yet
Dang, i know they have to do a longer warranty on emission parts, especially in California, but there's some crazy items on that list - even turbo, torque converter, and ignition coils.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:56 PM   #8
sick_guy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Dang, i know they have to do a longer warranty on emission parts, especially in California, but there's some crazy items on that list - even turbo, torque converter, and ignition coils.
Yeah I was really surprised when I was shown this sheet by my service advisor. I cannot remember the exact number off the top of my head, but I know that the SULEV warranty lasts somewhere around 8-12 years. My car was 7 years old and still covered.
Appreciate 0