F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
proTUNING Freaks

07-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #617
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

A bit of TLC and the bike is fine, have to hand it to Shimano, they know how to make bike stuff that can take a knock or two!

Whilst sorting out the shifter I realised why I had the off. Slick road tyres may be as sticky as hell on hot warm tarmac but they might as be ice skates on wet surfaces. With the front brake locked I was literally able to straife the front end one handed minimal effort. Amazed I didn't wash out earlier when doing some of the other hills.

Those Tour riders hittint 50mph+ on alpine descends have balls of steel! I'll be 100% taking the spare wheels with gripper rubber out on wet rides - If am allowed out of the house that is again on the bike .

Appreciate 1
mikeoz2856.00
      07-08-2020, 07:20 AM   #618
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post

....next time when trying to smash it over an hour I need to remember falling off doesn't make you go any quicker, kids may like the 'ripped' jeans look, but a ripped shifter just looks rubbish.

I wonder how long my wife is going to ban me from the bike
Ouch. It looks like a hole in your arm !!! My guess it isn't, just bad road rash.

Get well soon and best of luck with the missus. I know mine constantly worries, yesterday was a windy as hell so she told me to put the turbo in the garden instead of going out - of course I went out. Luckily I don't have the Carlos Fandango rims or I would have ended up in a field
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 07:43 AM   #619
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Nice pace Gangzoom. Hope you heal up quick.

I'm going to try for a Lacey ride once I get off my current PT schedule which has me busy with other things....plus it's too wet for a shiny new bike haha.
      07-09-2020, 11:53 AM   #620
JayR328i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 328i Touring (Luxury)

Garage List
2013 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
Wow! That looks painful!

Hope you are ok?
Am fine thanks, my buttocks looks much worse but no one wants to see that on the web . Gave the Range Rover following me a scare too, as I ended up half way across a T junction on my back.

I'm more worried about what my wife is going to say when she come back, the bike she wouldn't notice, but there is no hiding these scrapes.

Lesson learnt (again), don't go smashing in the wet on tyres with literally not grooves/water displacement at all. I really should know better.
Glad you're ok dude.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #621
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

How are the injuries gangzoom?

I bet you woke up stiff and aching this morning and not in a good way!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #622
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Ouch. This weather and those pics push me ever closer to that smart trainer and Zwift combo!

I've never been one for pushing on too hard on the road for that very reason. Never far from the brakes on a descent and always way within my limited abilities on a corner. Especially since becoming a husband and dad. Hope you recover quickly Gangzoom.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      07-10-2020, 01:24 AM   #623
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Healing up nicely, thanks for the comments.

I've so far managed to avoid the ban from my wife to go out on the bike, but will be taking the eBike out in the rain.

Going to try and sneak out on Sunday....we'll see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 01:30 AM   #624
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Ouch. This weather and those pics push me ever closer to that smart trainer and Zwift combo!
That's not a bad idea. Are they the ones that have a cassette attached to the machine so you essentially just mount the rear end of the bike direct?? I had a old turbo trainer ages ago but clamping on the rear tyre onto a roller always felt weird.

The only option is Watt bikes, use to love them in the gym, but I think COViD have driven used prices through the roof.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 02:18 AM   #625
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That's not a bad idea. Are they the ones that have a cassette attached to the machine so you essentially just mount the rear end of the bike direct?? I had a old turbo trainer ages ago but clamping on the rear tyre onto a roller always felt weird.

The only option is Watt bikes, use to love them in the gym, but I think COViD have driven used prices through the roof.
Yes, that's right. There are smart trainers that are wheel on, but I don't fancy that idea. The direct drive ones are the ones with the cassette on - more expensive but a better experience.

All smart trainers do power etc. and change settings in line with what the app is doing (Zwift, Sufferfest, Trainerroad etc.).

I was initially tempted with the Elite Drivo ii, but further research led me to conclude that the Wahoo Kickr is the one that I would like. Tacx Neo 2 looks good as well. These are the £1k-ish options, but all have a mid-range option around the £600-700 mark and the Wahoo (Core) in particular stacks up well against the top of the range one.

An interesting option that someone into gadgets might like (me included) is that for the Wahoo you can also buy a machine that lifts and lowers the front end to simulate the gradients that you are riding.

They're not cheap, but over the last decade I've consistently spent more time on my Life Fitness indoor bike than my outdoor bike. Simply being time short and needing close to 25 degrees to motivate me outside!

Like you, I loved the Wattbikes in the gym. You might also want to check out the new Wattbike Atom. It's cheaper than the Trainer/Pro and hooks up to a tablet and app rather than their own screen.

Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      07-10-2020, 02:35 AM   #626
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, that's right. There are smart trainers that are wheel on, but I don't fancy that idea. The direct drive ones are the ones with the cassette on - more expensive but a better experience.

All smart trainers do power etc. and change settings in line with what the app is doing (Zwift, Sufferfest, Trainerroad etc.).

I was initially tempted with the Elite Drivo ii, but further research led me to conclude that the Wahoo Kickr is the one that I would like. Tacx Neo 2 looks good as well. These are the £1k-ish options, but all have a mid-range option around the £600-700 mark and the Wahoo (Core) in particular stacks up well against the top of the range one.

An interesting option that someone into gadgets might like (me included) is that for the Wahoo you can also buy a machine that lifts and lowers the front end to simulate the gradients that you are riding.

They're not cheap, but over the last decade I've consistently spent more time on my Life Fitness indoor bike than my outdoor bike. Simply being time short and needing close to 25 degrees to motivate me outside!

Like you, I loved the Wattbikes in the gym. You might also want to check out the new Wattbike Atom. It's cheaper than the Trainer/Pro and hooks up to a tablet and app rather than their own screen.
Or you could spend the money on a mountain bike and embrace the rain, mud and cold.
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 02:50 AM   #627
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

I'm still suspicious it was an insurance claim effort
      07-10-2020, 03:31 AM   #628
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbles View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or you could spend the money on a mountain bike and embrace the rain, mud and cold.

That's a good one!
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2020, 04:17 AM   #629
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I still have a traditional Tacx Turbo for for the winter months set up in the garage with a netbook and TV (with chrome cast). Do you recall the Sufferfest videos, bloody hell they were potential widow makers. Nowadays there's so much stuff on Youtube or I'll just watch Netflix series if simply wanting to turn the legs over.

That said it sounds real old school now compared to whats available. I swear by a HRM though, I think no matter what you get, working within the relevant zones is worth its weight in gold.
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2020, 04:25 AM   #630
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Apart from the fact that I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, I think that would make the time-short problem even worse.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #631
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Apart from the fact that I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, I think that would make the time-short problem even worse.
True but I think I get just as much out of my shorter rides off road than I did when I used to road cycle due to the heavier bike and rougher terrain. I've always thought of cycling as an outdoor activity so stayed away from indoor bikes and trainers but maybe I should give them a go. I've enjoyed pairing my rowing machine with my VR headset so that longer rows are a little more interesting, maybe the same could happen with a turbo trainer.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 10:54 AM   #632
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

True but I think I get just as much out of my shorter rides off road than I did when I used to road cycle due to the heavier bike and rougher terrain. I've always thought of cycling as an outdoor activity so stayed away from indoor bikes and trainers but maybe I should give them a go. I've enjoyed pairing my rowing machine with my VR headset so that longer rows are a little more interesting, maybe the same could happen with a turbo trainer.
I've always enjoyed the indoor stuff too - as you can quickly and continuously push yourself in a way that's not going possible on the road or hills. Don't get me wrong, love being out on the bike in the right conditions and when time allows, but an hour on the exercise bike is preferable to an hour on the road. The first and last fifteen minutes of any ride I do are fairly pointless urban and semi-urban roads, so needs to be 90-120 minutes minimum to really get going.

Appreciate 1
Bibbles778.50
      07-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #633
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

If you like their stuff High5 have a 40% off currently.

HYDRATION40 code
      07-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #634
JayR328i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2013 328i  [0.00]
Not a road cycling achievement but a cycling achievement nonetheless. I was helping a mate with a few things wrong on his bike yesterday. On my list was;

- replace a screw on freehub (Never been successful doing that in the past and managed to break a vice the last time I tried)
- remove & replace a stubborn bottom bracket shell need a huge spanner for this (36mm) which i of course don't have. So ended up using a small metal work vice clamped to the straight edges and some precision tapping ;-) I hate RH LH threads and can never remember the right wrong side - Clockwise!!!!
- Re-routed the rear gear cable. From the factory they had it going at 2 right angles S'ing underneath top and down the seat tube to the seat stays?! now it just goes along in a nice direct straight line and whaddya know?! the gears are shifting better!
- Replace tyres, this was a win for me as I had some old Spesh MTB tyres taking up room in the shed! GONE!

This bike is worth about £200 new, for £35 and a bit of thought+elbow grease, its better now than when it left the factory. I really hope my mate uses it though now!

I have no desire to own a bike shop, working on cheap bikes is utter total pain at times but if there is another cyclist/bike person out there its a win for me.

Also gave his lad some nifty skull valve caps for his BMX which he seemed happy with!

What did you all get up to this weekend?
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      07-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #635
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR328i View Post
Not a road cycling achievement but a cycling achievement nonetheless. I was helping a mate with a few things wrong on his bike yesterday. On my list was;

- replace a screw on freehub (Never been successful doing that in the past and managed to break a vice the last time I tried)
- remove & replace a stubborn bottom bracket shell need a huge spanner for this (36mm) which i of course don't have. So ended up using a small metal work vice clamped to the straight edges and some precision tapping ;-) I hate RH LH threads and can never remember the right wrong side - Clockwise!!!!
- Re-routed the rear gear cable. From the factory they had it going at 2 right angles S'ing underneath top and down the seat tube to the seat stays?! now it just goes along in a nice direct straight line and whaddya know?! the gears are shifting better!
- Replace tyres, this was a win for me as I had some old Spesh MTB tyres taking up room in the shed! GONE!

This bike is worth about £200 new, for £35 and a bit of thought+elbow grease, its better now than when it left the factory. I really hope my mate uses it though now!

I have no desire to own a bike shop, working on cheap bikes is utter total pain at times but if there is another cyclist/bike person out there its a win for me.

Also gave his lad some nifty skull valve caps for his BMX which he seemed happy with!

No riding for me as signed up to a few weekend outdoor workouts at Westminster Park in Chester. Absolutely lovely but destroying at the same time, about 700+ calories for 45 mins.

Bike will be out next few weekends, been trying to dial in the saddle height and fore and aft. Almost there now.

Updated firmware and changed my shifters to sequential and actual have no direct shifter control for the front derailleur. It's basically paddle shifting like a car now. Took about 10 mins to get used to it and that's that.

Lost about 10kg in the past 4-6 weeks so hoping the hills will feel some what easier.... let's see!
Attached Images

07-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #636
JayR328i
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2013 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
No riding for me as signed up to a few weekend outdoor workouts at Westminster Park in Chester. Absolutely lovely but destroying at the same time, about 700+ calories for 45 mins.

Bike will be out next few weekends, been trying to dial in the saddle height and fore and aft. Almost there now.

Updated firmware and changed my shifters to sequential and actual have no direct shifter control for the front derailleur. It's basically paddle shifting like a car now. Took about 10 mins to get used to it and that's that.

Lost about 10kg in the past 4-6 weeks so hoping the hills will feel some what easier.... let's see!
Thats intense and a great effort! You'll defo feel the difference up the hills.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      07-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #637
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Did a ride today and felt shit

..end
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:30 AM   #638
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR328i View Post

Took the kids out for a ride. Took my dropper post apart for cleaning to get rid of a creak. Went out for a ride on some local trails and sessioned a gap jump that I'd been having trouble with until I got it right.
Appreciate 1