F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > They offered $23,700 for 435i GC
GetBMWParts

07-03-2020, 11:59 PM   #23
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Since the OP is trading. We have no idea what OP is paying for new car. Maybe OP is paying list price,buying extended warranty and paint protection. So dealer is being generous.
BINGO!

This conversation is absolutely pointless without knowing what they will be selling you the other car for, they can offer you 30k for your car, and add 8k to the sales price of the car you're trading in for, dealerships NEVER lose $, the customer does.
Appreciate 1
      07-04-2020, 08:47 AM   #24
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

So why does this community put so much into BMW ownership, if there's no value to these cars? I have my first BMW ever, right now, I bought it used and thought I got a good deal on it when I bought it, just to find out later that I might have paid too much and now a year later, the car is worth considerably less than just last year.

BMW asks a higher price than Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, etc, and they are thought of as a premium line, but they have no value, except to the first owner. This is discouraging, as I like to keep my cars, and know that they have value. Getting pennies on the dollar for a used BMW doesn't make we want to keep buying them.
      07-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #25
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
So why does this community put so much into BMW ownership, if there's no value to these cars? I have my first BMW ever, right now, I bought it used and thought I got a good deal on it when I bought it, just to find out later that I might have paid too much and now a year later, the car is worth considerably less than just last year.

BMW asks a higher price than Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, etc, and they are thought of as a premium line, but they have no value, except to the first owner. This is discouraging, as I like to keep my cars, and know that they have value. Getting pennies on the dollar for a used BMW doesn't make we want to keep buying them.
First owner always takes the biggest hit when it comes to depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #26
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:

If you are planning on keeping the car,depreciation shouldn’t matter that much. I bought an executive car. 10k off list in the same model year as current year. An 18 in 18. 2 years later it’s lost another 20k in value. My Acura MDX . 1 year older and more miles,listed for less, is worth more. But the Bmw is more fun to drive. All German luxury cars suffer the same fate.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #27
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep

I agree with the statement that all German cars suffer the same fate. Unfortunately, I learned this "after" I bought one. I was on my way to a different dealer when I stopped in at the BMW dealership to see what they had, and saw this car. Once I looked it up online and saw that it was a limited edition model, I thought I was stealing a 3 year old car, listed at 50% of it's original MSRP price. I'm used to American cars being worth 50% of MSRP at the 5 year mark, for a regular model, not a limited edition.

Also, coming from a newer Mustang prior to this purchase, the Mustang value is still high. My son recently sold a 2016 Mustang, that MSRP'd for $43k, and he sold it for $30k. A friend of his sold a 2014 Mustang GT, that had an MSRP of $38k, for $19k. That's on a 6 year old car, so my 5 year/50% valuation is being beat with the Mustangs.

But, it's not just the Mustang. I had a 2015 Charger Scat Pack that was priced at $43k MSRP. After one year, it was priced in the low $30k range as a used car, but 5 years later, it still has a price value in the low $30k range. Like the Mustang, they haven't hit the 50% at 5 years, but the BMW is greater than 50% at 4 years, and I bought at about 50% at 3 years. This is disappointing for the import market.
      07-05-2020, 11:01 AM   #28
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I agree with the statement that all German cars suffer the same fate. Unfortunately, I learned this "after" I bought one. I was on my way to a different dealer when I stopped in at the BMW dealership to see what they had, and saw this car. Once I looked it up online and saw that it was a limited edition model, I thought I was stealing a 3 year old car, listed at 50% of it's original MSRP price. I'm used to American cars being worth 50% of MSRP at the 5 year mark, for a regular model, not a limited edition.

Also, coming from a newer Mustang prior to this purchase, the Mustang value is still high. My son recently sold a 2016 Mustang, that MSRP'd for $43k, and he sold it for $30k. A friend of his sold a 2014 Mustang GT, that had an MSRP of $38k, for $19k. That's on a 6 year old car, so my 5 year/50% valuation is being beat with the Mustangs.

But, it's not just the Mustang. I had a 2015 Charger Scat Pack that was priced at $43k MSRP. After one year, it was priced in the low $30k range as a used car, but 5 years later, it still has a price value in the low $30k range. Like the Mustang, they haven't hit the 50% at 5 years, but the BMW is greater than 50% at 4 years, and I bought at about 50% at 3 years. This is disappointing for the import market.
Only "idiots" will buy a mustang or charger for that price.

BTW those are not real value of the car. Those are dealer prices, those price are decided by the dealer that think they know idiot customer will pay for it. I just went to Ford dealer to pick up a friend then decided to talk to some used sales person about the used gt350 on the show room, and kinda slip his tongue that it has a markup. Seriously a fkn mark up on a USED mustang gt350.

There are idiots who will pay for it then there is going to be a market for it
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      07-05-2020, 04:56 PM   #29
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post

BTW those are not real value of the car. Those are dealer prices, those price are decided by the dealer that think they know idiot customer will pay for it. I just went to Ford dealer to pick up a friend then decided to talk to some used sales person about the used gt350 on the show room, and kinda slip his tongue that it has a markup. Seriously a fkn mark up on a USED mustang gt350.

Its those idiots that keep dealerships nice and fat lol. On askacarsalesman on reddit, all the salesmen cry and complain when a customer rolls in that knows what he's buying, and praise and love the more money than brains customers.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 05:15 PM   #30
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm not sure what part you're referring to the "idiots" about. Let's look at the real numbers then, instead of the "that price" numbers. In 2014, I bought a brand new Mustang GT for my son. It had a $36k MSRP. I paid $30k. After four years, and 40k miles, we sold the car to a private party for $25,500. Not taking interest of the loan into account, we lost $4500 on that car in 4 years!

My sons 2016 GT that we sold last year, was originally $43k MSRP. I'm sure it was bought by the original owner for $36k or $37k. So, we bought it in 2019 for $30k, and sold it a year later, for $30k, but with more miles! I must've been an idiot for paying that.

My son's friend, that I mentioned in my last post, sold his car to Carvana for the $19k. It wasn't to a private party. Again, I'm sure that 2014 Mustang wasn't bought at the full MSRP of $38k either, so the potential loss of maybe $14k or $15k over 6 years is not bad.

Now, the Charger pricing is inline with price guides. I just did a lookup, on kbb.com, of a 2016 Charger Scat Pack, with 40k miles and came up with trade-in value of $31k to $34k. When I bought my car in 2015, it had an MSRP of $43,600, but I bought it for $39k, all inclusive. So, trade in value of $8k less than I paid, 4 years and 40k miles later, make the US cars a much better deal today. And I'm using real numbers now. I agree that nobody pays a dealer's asking price, but the prices I listed on the Mustangs are real prices that I sold my cars to private parties for, and my son's friend sold his car to Carvana.

Maybe the BMW isn't as "performance oriented" as these other cars, so maybe that's why they lost value so fast. Like I said before, I'm very disappointed in the loss of value on my 435i in just the one year of ownership. I do like to keep my cars, but in the event that I need to sell, or decide to sell, it's nice knowing that they have value and it wasn't huge money thrown away.
      07-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #31
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure what part you're referring to the "idiots" about. Let's look at the real numbers then, instead of the "that price" numbers. In 2014, I bought a brand new Mustang GT for my son. It had a $36k MSRP. I paid $30k. After four years, and 40k miles, we sold the car to a private party for $25,500. Not taking interest of the loan into account, we lost $4500 on that car in 4 years!

My sons 2016 GT that we sold last year, was originally $43k MSRP. I'm sure it was bought by the original owner for $36k or $37k. So, we bought it in 2019 for $30k, and sold it a year later, for $30k, but with more miles! I must've been an idiot for paying that.

My son's friend, that I mentioned in my last post, sold his car to Carvana for the $19k. It wasn't to a private party. Again, I'm sure that 2014 Mustang wasn't bought at the full MSRP of $38k either, so the potential loss of maybe $14k or $15k over 6 years is not bad.

Now, the Charger pricing is inline with price guides. I just did a lookup, on kbb.com, of a 2016 Charger Scat Pack, with 40k miles and came up with trade-in value of $31k to $34k. When I bought my car in 2015, it had an MSRP of $43,600, but I bought it for $39k, all inclusive. So, trade in value of $8k less than I paid, 4 years and 40k miles later, make the US cars a much better deal today. And I'm using real numbers now. I agree that nobody pays a dealer's asking price, but the prices I listed on the Mustangs are real prices that I sold my cars to private parties for, and my son's friend sold his car to Carvana.

Maybe the BMW isn't as "performance oriented" as these other cars, so maybe that's why they lost value so fast. Like I said before, I'm very disappointed in the loss of value on my 435i in just the one year of ownership. I do like to keep my cars, but in the event that I need to sell, or decide to sell, it's nice knowing that they have value and it wasn't huge money thrown away.
You actually agreeing with me with this post. If you actually selling those me
... I won't even look at it with the price you listed that is because I know how much they should be.

Jeezzz only an idiot bought your mustang for 30k with 40k miles on it.

That is what I mean about my comment. Look there is always a buyer who doesn't know anything. Like some said in reddit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
Its those idiots that keep dealerships nice and fat lol. On askacarsalesman on reddit, all the salesmen cry and complain when a customer rolls in that knows what he's buying, and praise and love the more money than brains customers.
Dealer salesman love these people who just bring more money on the table.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 05:37 PM   #32
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:

If you like to keep your cars,why do you replace your son’s car so often?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #33
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
If you like to keep your cars,why do you replace your son’s car so often?
My son owned his first car for 4 years. That's better than I was at his age. These are his cars, and he bought and sold all of them for good money. The car he's driving now is completely paid for and is a nice car. He's made money or broke even on all transactions.
The first car was a 50/50 purchase where I paid half and he paid half. I have been paid off and what's amazing is, he just graduated college and never had a part time job.

I personally had a 2003 Monte Carlo SS for 12 years and 120k miles, a 2006 Silverado Z71 for 12 years and 160k miles and the two Camaros in my signature for 20 years. The BMW was one of the purchases I made as a replacement for one of the Mustangs, but after 6 weeks, my son found the 2016 Mustang and I took the BMW.

Gen12 F36, I have no idea what your trying to say. Your first paragraph doesn't make any sense. Also, where did I say someone bought my Mustang with 40k miles for $30k? I said we sold the 2016 Mustang for $30k with more miles on it than when we bought it, but I never stated the miles on that car.
      07-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #34
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gen12 F36, I have no idea what your trying to say. Your first paragraph doesn't make any sense. Also, where did I say someone bought my Mustang with 40k miles for $30k? I said we sold the 2016 Mustang for $30k with more miles on it than when we bought it, but I never stated the miles on that car.
I got confused there... 1st mustang you paid 30k. You said you have the mustang for 4 years and put on 40k miles then you sold it for 25.5k.

2nd car for 30k ... then you put miles and sold it for 30k ... YES you are lucky to have those people overpaying.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #35
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

it's almost as if you're barely driving your cars.... we've had our bmw for one year as of like 3 weeks ago. And have put nearly 50k kms on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #36
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep

I had my BMW for 15 months and put 16k miles on it. Having multiple cars helps keep one car's mileage lower. COVID-19 is helping me keep the miles off as I was at 16k miles on the BMW at month 12 of ownership, so it hasn't changed much. I think I'm getting 3 weeks to the gallon now!
      07-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #37
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
I had my BMW for 15 months and put 16k miles on it. Having multiple cars helps keep one car's mileage lower. COVID-19 is helping me keep the miles off as I was at 16k miles on the BMW at month 12 of ownership, so it hasn't changed much. I think I'm getting 3 weeks to the gallon now!
I feel the main issue with your car is a ZHP is only desirable to a person who see's limited as a perk. I can buy a stock 435 for a lower price, tune it with BM3 and it would have more power then a ZHP. To most people the ZHP is just a useless bump of price that is only useful to a guy that wants the ability to show off that it's a ZHP. No shade thrown at ALL i'm sure it's a beautiful car but i'm just kinda thinking out loud.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #38
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just going back to topic here.

OP, what did you do?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #39
zeyad.habeeb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i GC

Quote:
Just going back to topic here.

OP, what did you do?
They will pick it up on Thursday.
Happy and Sad in the same time.

but I'm thinking to Lease the M340i in the next couple months or maybe towards the end of the year.

With loyalty and MSD i can get one for $2500 down and $510 a month.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:29 AM   #40
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:

The car has value to you if you get to drive it and enjoy it. My '15 435i GC had a sticker of 63k when the first owner (sucker) bought it. I bought it 3 years old for 1/2 price. I love this car. Runs great and looks good. Has more features than I need but still enjoy. Each next car I buy seems to set the bar higher. Next will probably be a used M3...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #41
bpwj76
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i; 2016 X3 Sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
The car has value to you if you get to drive it and enjoy it. My '15 435i GC had a sticker of 63k when the first owner (sucker) bought it. I bought it 3 years old for 1/2 price. I love this car. Runs great and looks good. Has more features than I need but still enjoy. Each next car I buy seems to set the bar higher. Next will probably be a used M3...
Good point! I bought my 2015 320i as a CPO in 2018. The sticker was $41k and I paid $19,700. So yeah, the first owner takes the biggest hit in depreciation. The second owner is the winner there.

And to your point of the car having value if you drive and enjoy it. That was spot on. I know I bought the lowest on the totem pole 3 series, but I don't care. I enjoyed driving it and even looked for excuses to do so when I first bought it and I still enjoy driving it. It's a fun car even with only 180hp.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #42
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpwj76 View Post
Good point! I bought my 2015 320i as a CPO in 2018. The sticker was $41k and I paid $19,700. So yeah, the first owner takes the biggest hit in depreciation. The second owner is the winner there.

And to your point of the car having value if you drive and enjoy it. That was spot on. I know I bought the lowest on the totem pole 3 series, but I don't care. I enjoyed driving it and even looked for excuses to do so when I first bought it and I still enjoy driving it. It's a fun car even with only 180hp.
The first owner is taking the biggest hit only if he trade or sell in only 4 years or less. There is nothing wrong buying new of you keep the car longer at least 6 years. 😁
Appreciate 1
bpwj7694.00