F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > It's alive. So is the 8AT...
Extreme Powerhouse

05-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

It's alive. So is the 8AT...

Today, I received delightful news that my 328i is alive and is embarking on its long journey from Germany to the UK, to greet me on 8th June
I'm really excited now!! In fact, I was so excited, I built my car again on BMW UK's Configurator and found that the virtual pictures of the 3 Series had been updated! So I've attached those below, along with the vehicle tracker screenshot my sales guy sent me earlier from his computer to illustrate his good news! Unfortunatly, us UK consumers cannot track our vehicles like you guys in the US can.

But firstly, I have a question regarding the 8AT (Automatic Transmission). I have the Sport Automatic but it shouldn't make a difference whether it is Standard or Sport for this question:
I have heard that the automatic transmission learns your driving style and adapts to suit it, but what exactly does it change and do differently? I assume this only applies for "D" and maybe "DS" but it can't do anymore in "M" can it? Surely not!
^^ Created a dedicated thread for this as I'm not getting any answers here. http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=694128

Oh, and one more question whilst I remember about the High Beam Assitant; How do I activate it? Or is it always on when I push the indicator stalk away to turn them on or must I have the headlight switch in the auto position? I'm just after a bit of clarity about the system and where it would and wouldn't work.

Okay, here are the pics!
And here is the optional spec if you're interested...
BMW 328i Luxury N20
Glacier Silver
18" 398 light alloys mixed tyres
Black Dakota Leather with Exclusive stitching
Fine-wood trim Fineline anthracite

Interior comfort package
Extended storage
Head restraints, rear and folding
Split-folding rear seats

Visibility package
Adaptive Headlights
Headlight Wash
High-beam Assistant
Xenon Headlights

Media package - BMW Professional Multimedia
Black panel display, full
BMW Assist
BMW Assist online portal
Enhanced Bluetooth functionality incl. BMW Assist with USB audio interface
Navigation-system Professional

Mobile application preparation
Telephone USB audio interface
Loudspeaker system - Harman/Kardon surround sound
Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
Windscreen with grey shade band
Sun protection glass
Seat heating, front
Seat heating, rear
Sports seats, front
Reversing Assist camera (thrown in free as part of lease deal)
Front & Rear PDC (Standard equipment)
Sport Automatic Transmission
Attached Images

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)

Last edited by SomeRandomer123; 05-20-2012 at 02:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDude196 View Post
My god. Is there anything that wasn't ticked? I'm assuming your a company car driver? Or your just absolutely rolling in it.
Nice options though... Wish mine was specced as extensively as that

Is that's the dealers tracking thing? I'm assuming they sent it you through email then?

These next few days are going to pass even more slowly!
I run my own company so I'm the Managing Director as you would expect ha. Yes, it's "Sales Assistant 3" software (I cropped the window) and it's full of all the order details and current vehicle status. And yes again, he sent me the screenshot to illustrate his good news when he emailed me earlier this afternoon!
They certainly are, but I am going to be sad to lose my fabulous 330d It's just the best!

What are you getting on yours? I've kept meaning to stalk you to find out more about your car but keep forgetting to do so . I don't understand your signature haha apart from 20d and 397 (which I assume are the alloys). Oh, and as you might have already seen on other threads, I love the 20d so much I wonder why I didn't just order that!! I was staggered when I test drove a 320d Sport Line Sport Auto!

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Congrats. Very clean looking. Nice set of alloys, something different.

You get mixed tyres on them you say? Like 225F and 255R just like the 19"401s?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Congrats. Very clean looking. Nice set of alloys, something different.

You get mixed tyres on them you say? Like 225F and 255R just like the 19"401s?
Yep, the 18" 398's have 225's up front and 255's out back (as you can probably see from the rear configurator shot) - just like my 330d's setup.
I have 18" on my E90 too but forget what the name/code of them are. I did think of sticking with the standard Luxury 18" ones but they would be a bugger to clean (especially being high mileage) and were 225 all around. I wanted to be sure I can transmit the power to the road and believe it add's to the comfort as it will go over small imperfections/potholes in the road - especially as it rides on its sidewalls being RFT.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Haha oh i see! So yes, your rolling in it. Ill definately have to get onto my dealer and get him to send me one of those images. Mmm straight 6 with 3 litres of glory... Whats not to love?
How long have you been waiting for, for your f30?
Mmm well hardly anything compared to yourself. Hahah fair enough! Well ive got the wheels only available on the sport, leather, headlining, xenons, sport auto and i think thats about it. I was really looking to get metallic painy, prof multimedia & heated seats, but that proved to be too expensive. Legally I should have a company car allowance, but i dont.
Naaa, the 28i is just perfect. Dont feel too bad, im jelous youve got a 28, the power is just.... Physics bending
I suppose the 20d's usp is the power to mpg ration, and with stunningly low co2 which is always a nice thing.
Yeah it's staggering! So is the economy!! I bet the new, more powerful and more efficient 30d is outstanding!
I ordered in early March and the pick up date was originally 26th May (and my 330d is reclaimed by the lease company on the 28th) but in April they said it was going to be delayed to the 16th June because of a world wide shortage of the N20 engine.
But at the start of May, they emailed saying that the delay is now not as bad and you can have it on the 6th June so I'm happy at that. AND NOW IT'S ALIVE!! :

Ahh nice! You've got the important and great options on yours! Should be brill. I love those 397's - such a great looking alloy with that two tone colour - mmmmm . The 20d's USP is definitely the compromise of both performance and efficiency but also the simple fact that it is the best 2.0L TDI unit on the market. Like I say, I was simply blown away by it. It's improved so much too since I last drove the 177hp unit in an E60 LCI (5 Series facelifted). I used to own an E60 520d 163hp and that was good, but the N47 now is simply amazing.

Actually, what colour is yours? And when do you get it? You should post some configurator shots of yours - the Sport Line is a great looking thing!

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
i know, very impressive especially when tied together with the 8AT. i know, i wish my budget could extend that far, it will be incredible.
i heard that from my dealer too, all his petrol deliveries were months after the car was first put in for order.

yeah i like the two-tone-ness too. i just wish i didnt have that standard idrive screen! oh well, wont spoil it too much!?
its amazing to this we can get as much hp from a diesel in 2012 that we used to get from an e46 325i (there abouts) and with the added benefit of the HUGE amount of torque, is faster than the e46 too. although, the e46 will always be one of the best BMW's in MHO... but to think you can get just as much torque from the 28i (as you can in the 20d) is crazy, its a petrol FGS!?! and the peak torque band is greater than the 20d. my mind was blown when i compared the engine performance graphs.
its alpine white, and with no delays (fingers crossed) will by 29th June, it is i have to say, i do like the red highlights of the interior. i will do sooner of later, maybe when its closer to delivery time. might add a review too if i feel like it.

your dealer isnt lying about the 28i shortage, he is telling the truth. do you go to Bowker Blackburn? or am i getting that completely wrong
Yeah it's Bowker Blackburn They're ace! Do you use them?

Appreciate 0