F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Brakes squeaking
ARMA SPEED

02-10-2024, 01:58 PM   #1
Walrad
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d F30

Brakes squeaking

I changed the front and rear rotors and pads when I bought the car last year, summer. I went for a combo of Zimmermann rotors and brembo pads. It gets cold here in Norway with a lot of snow, but since some months when the weather has gotten colder the left front brake is squeaking. The squeaking is in lower speed until the car stops ( from approximately 40-50 km/h). I took it to a mechanic asked them to check out the issue and grease the parts again. They did that, and said if it continues squeaking I should change the pads. I don't want to do that until I am not sure if the issue is the pads, they have about 10-12 K km on them only.

I noticed a black/brown ring on the rotors after some days after I picked the car from the mechanic ( see pictures) and btw the car was still squeaking when I picked the car from the mechanic. Some days later I did the grease the moving parts again, did a proper job but is still squeaking. The rings has since faded away and are gone.

So any ideas? Should I go for new pads? I want to go for Zimmermann pads this time. It is just weird that it is just the one side that is squeaking. Not the rest, because the combo is the same on all wheels. Or it might be the caliper?

Thanks in advance

Parts:

https://m.autodoc.co.no/brembo/7624582
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nn-34116792219
Attached Images

Last edited by Walrad; 02-10-2024 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
doyler
Rep
Drives: 435i ZHP

That ring is certainly weird, but you said it's gone now so that's good. Was that on the wheel that is squeaking? And by grease the parts do you mean the back of the pads where they contact the caliper pistons?

My OEM pads squeaked like crazy when coming to a stop. I took the pads off, cleaned everything up and applied a brake lube to the back of the pads. That helped for awhile but it eventually came back, I assume when the lube wore off. I recently replaced rotors (with the same Zimmermans you did) and put on EBC Red Stuff up front and Akebono pads in the rear, lubed the back and have zero noise. It hasn't been long but hopefully they stay quiet.

Since yours is only one wheel, I would take those pads off and inspect them so make sure they look normal. If they do, I'd apply lube to the back and continue on. That should take care of the noise. Any brake lube should work but looks like Brembo has their own they recommend called Brembo B-Quiet. I'd probably try that given the pads are Brembo.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 05:57 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Walrad How many miles does the car have?

If the squeaking sound consistently appears from one side, it might be the caliper where the piston travel may be inhibited (ice?). Did the mechanic inspect the calipers?

From the website: your Brembo brake pads are described as "They are equipped with special anti-squealing blades. For this reason, sound vibrations are effectively absorbed, increasing the acoustic comfort level."

doyler My experience with M Sport OEM brake pads has been just the opposite: no squeaks, no sounds - completely quiet. I prefer OEM brake pads because they provide aggressive initial bite (and dust as a result).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 09:18 PM   #4
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

For squealing there are 4 variables to consider-
A) Rotors B) Pad material C) Pad shims D) Anti-squeal grease.

For rotors, go OEM spec. 2 piece floating rotors aren’t required but the bargain basement $25/pair, avoid. For pads, go either with BMW or an OE street spec. The more aggressive the pad the more likely they will squeal. For shims, any OE pad should include them but if they don’t, avoid. Finally, anti-squeal grease. Go for the highest temp anti squeal brake grease you can get. I currently use Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts lubricant and do not have a problem with squealing. The max temp for this grease is 1600C with a min temp of -50C. Suggest you not use anti-seize as I find it melts rather easily even under moderate braking.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 02-14-2024 at 10:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:05 AM   #5
Walrad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyler View Post
That ring is certainly weird, but you said it's gone now so that's good. Was that on the wheel that is squeaking? And by grease the parts do you mean the back of the pads where they contact the caliper pistons?

My OEM pads squeaked like crazy when coming to a stop. I took the pads off, cleaned everything up and applied a brake lube to the back of the pads. That helped for awhile but it eventually came back, I assume when the lube wore off. I recently replaced rotors (with the same Zimmermans you did) and put on EBC Red Stuff up front and Akebono pads in the rear, lubed the back and have zero noise. It hasn't been long but hopefully they stay quiet.

Since yours is only one wheel, I would take those pads off and inspect them so make sure they look normal. If they do, I'd apply lube to the back and continue on. That should take care of the noise. Any brake lube should work but looks like Brembo has their own they recommend called Brembo B-Quiet. I'd probably try that given the pads are Brembo.

no, it occurred after the mechanic lubricated the brakes, on both sides. yes correct.

I hope they stay quiet for you! It's so annoying! When I took a look at them they looked normal and the mechanic didn't say anything about the brake pads either. he just said if it continues to make noise, replace them.

now i have lubed them once and the mechanic once so i think either i need to replace the brake pads or the brake caliper. But I think if it had been the brake pads, both sides would have made noise. Could it be the brake caliper?

Last edited by Walrad; 02-17-2024 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:12 AM   #6
Walrad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Walrad How many miles does the car have?

If the squeaking sound consistently appears from one side, it might be the caliper where the piston travel may be inhibited (ice?). Did the mechanic inspect the calipers?

From the website: your Brembo brake pads are described as "They are equipped with special anti-squealing blades. For this reason, sound vibrations are effectively absorbed, increasing the acoustic comfort level."

doyler My experience with M Sport OEM brake pads has been just the opposite: no squeaks, no sounds - completely quiet. I prefer OEM brake pads because they provide aggressive initial bite (and dust as a result).

it has done about 56000 miles.

it makes constant noise at low speeds, around 40 km/h and below. Often, but not always. I don't know, I don't think so. Because I told them to grease both sides in front. I've noticed some shaking on the steering wheel lately as well while braking.

it is not true in my case. haha!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:19 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrad View Post
it has done about 56000 miles.

it makes constant noise at low speeds, around 40 km/h and below. Often, but not always. I don't know, I don't think so. Because I told them to grease both sides in front. I've noticed some shaking on the steering wheel lately as well while braking.

it is not true in my case. haha!
Constant noise + shaking at low speed is not normal. Ask the shop to take a deeper look and find another shop. These problems are common and a qualified technician should be able to find the root cause.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:23 AM   #8
Walrad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
For squealing there are 4 variables to consider-
A) Rotors B) Pad material C) Pad shims D) Anti-squeal grease.

For rotors, go OEM spec. 2 piece floating rotors aren’t required but the bargain basement $25/pair, avoid. For pads, go either with BMW or an OE street spec. The more aggressive the pad the more likely they will squeal. For shims, any OE pad should include them but if they don’t, avoid. Finally, anti-squeal grease. Go for the highest temp anti squeal brake grease you can get. I currently use Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts lubricant and do not have a problem with squealing. The max temp for this grease is 1600C with a min temp of -50C. Suggest you not use anti-seize as I find it melts rather easily even under moderate braking.

I think it could be either the brake pad material or the brake caliper. When it comes to brake shims, it wasn't on them before and I also can't find any that fit my car. I've looked at several sites but I can't find any suggestions for some the fits my car.

I used Crc ceramic paste. so this should be good enough.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 10:25 AM   #9
Walrad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Constant noise + shaking at low speed is not normal. Ask the shop to take a deeper look and find another shop. These problems are common and a qualified technician should be able to find the root cause.

I think I need to do that. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 10:38 AM   #10
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrad View Post
I think it could be either the brake pad material or the brake caliper. When it comes to brake shims, it wasn't on them before and I also can't find any that fit my car. I've looked at several sites but I can't find any suggestions for some the fits my car.

I used Crc ceramic paste. so this should be good enough.
Couple of things.

1) Does the pad look like the following

Name:  brembo_pad.png
Views: 65
Size:  93.1 KB

Or like this

Name:  single-piston-pad.png
Views: 70
Size:  133.9 KB

Either one is an example of a pad with a shim, a thin metal covering over the pad backing plate.

If you have the second type of pad in the images above, you're options are limited and you may have to custom make one. Try a google search for anti-squeal shims.

2) As for CRC ceramic paste, I have gone through multiple manufacturers of brake paste, even different Permatex formulations, looking for an effective product. As there are multiple components a brake system which may contribute to squeal, finding the right anti-squeal paste may take a few tries.

I do find it odd your Brembo pads had no shims as Brembo is an OE for multiple premium auto brands. They are not cheap pads. It is very rare to find pads without shims. I'd send an email to Brembo explaining you have no shims. Expect to show them a picture. Unfortunately, while the world of online shopping has been a fantastic tool in finding a wide variety of competitively priced products it has also given rise to fake products. Sometimes when you see a product that is too cheap, be suspicious. Sometimes even major online businesses have been deceived by unscrupulous suppliers.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 02-18-2024 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:40 AM   #11
Walrad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
Couple of things.

1) Does the pad look like the following

Attachment 3390841

Or like this

Attachment 3390870

Either one is an example of a pad with a shim, a thin metal covering over the pad backing plate.

If you have the second type of pad in the images above, you're options are limited and you may have to custom make one. Try a google search for anti-squeal shims.

2) As for CRC ceramic paste, I have gone through multiple manufacturers of brake paste, even different Permatex formulations, looking for an effective product. As there are multiple components a brake system which may contribute to squeal, finding the right anti-squeal paste may take a few tries.

I do find it odd your Brembo pads had no shims as Brembo is an OE for multiple premium auto brands. They are not cheap pads. It is very rare to find pads without shims. I'd send an email to Brembo explaining you have no shims. Expect to show them a picture. Unfortunately, while the world of online shopping has been a fantastic tool in finding a wide variety of competitively priced products it has also given rise to fake products. Sometimes when you see a product that is too cheap, be suspicious. Sometimes even major online businesses have been deceived by unscrupulous suppliers.

They look like number 2

Sorry I misunderstood you, I thought you meant the brackets that the brake pads sit in.

I spoke to a mechanic and have set up an appointment for tomorrow. So let's see what the problem is. He also said it could be the caliper and I actually think so too.

Thank you very much for your time, help and good advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 03:37 AM   #12
danb1979
Idiotic lifter of heavy stones...
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 325D M Sport touring

Brembo pads; say no more IMO

Never ever had any good experiences with standard Brembo pads; never tried the HP2000s though that folk recommend

I've got OEM BMW pads on my blue Brembo calipers with OEM BMW M Performance discs and have zero squealing issues

Jurid & Textar make the pads for the F3x range; ATE make others. Id highly recommend the ATE Ceramic pads if you can get them for your car; if not them, then consider sticking with BMW pads
      02-21-2024, 06:20 PM   #13
Walrad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danb1979 View Post
Brembo pads; say no more IMO

Never ever had any good experiences with standard Brembo pads; never tried the HP2000s though that folk recommend

I've got OEM BMW pads on my blue Brembo calipers with OEM BMW M Performance discs and have zero squealing issues

Jurid & Textar make the pads for the F3x range; ATE make others. Id highly recommend the ATE Ceramic pads if you can get them for your car; if not them, then consider sticking with BMW pads

Thank you.

I will take the car to a technician to figure out if the problem is the pads or the caliper (which I think is the problem). If it is the pads, I will go for the Zimmermann pads which will match the rotors, or go for ATE Ceramic pads 😊
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2024, 09:37 AM   #14
Walrad
Rep

hello again everyone
the car has now been to the workshop and this was carried out:

work:
controlled front and rear brakes
some pulsation in the left front and left rear disc
no sign that the brakes are on

they still didn't know what makes the squeaking sounds. They just said you have to change the discs and the brake pads if I want the squeaking sound to go away. Any ideas?

Last edited by Walrad; 02-22-2024 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0