F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Potential OFHG leak-Again :)
ARMA SPEED

02-01-2024, 08:00 PM   #1
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Potential OFHG leak-Again :)

Recently I've noticed a very slight odor of hot/burning oil. Started poking around and discovered some oil deposited in 2 valley's on the block. Immediately suspected the gasket between the OFH and the block. I'm at 209,400 and had the infamous OFHG leak at 65K. Examining the best I can without disassembling things yet, I can't find any leakage from the OFH, although the bottom side is difficult to examine effectively. Checked the Valve Cover and that is dry (YEAH!). Is there anything else on that side that could be leaking? Getting ready to order the parts for OFH repair from FCP (Free, less shipping back ). Already have the intake gaskets.

I can"t complain about this. With my mileage, I have been blessed with its durability!!

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
Woody
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 07:03 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Order the Genuine BMW gasket.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 07:16 PM   #3
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Those leaked at 64K. According to FCP, the Elring gaskets are a better choice & 1/3rd the price: "Please note: This gasket is an updated design made out of FPM-PX (Fluorine rubber). This material is particularly heat-resistant and resistant to oil making it ideal for an oil filter housing gasket. This updated gasket replaces the originally equipped HNBR (Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber) gaskets which are known to harden over time and cause oil leaks. This updated gasket and material change will degrade slower and has an increased usable service life."

Do you feel othewise? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 02:58 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Those leaked at 64K. According to FCP, the Elring gaskets are a better choice & 1/3rd the price: "Please note: This gasket is an updated design made out of FPM-PX (Fluorine rubber). This material is particularly heat-resistant and resistant to oil making it ideal for an oil filter housing gasket. This updated gasket replaces the originally equipped HNBR (Hydrogenated Nitrile Butadiene Rubber) gaskets which are known to harden over time and cause oil leaks. This updated gasket and material change will degrade slower and has an increased usable service life."

Do you feel othewise? Thanks!
Ya I agree. Elring sells this gasket in both materials. I was led to believe a few years ago when I replaced mine that the BMW gasket is FPM and FCP sold the HNBR under Eleing label. You can visit Elrings site and cross reference p/n.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0