F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Bubbles - Center Console
proTUNING Freaks

04-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Bubbles - Center Console

How many of you see this in your center console?
My wife's 6 years old 3 Series have the center console trim bubbling and peeling.
Any idea what could cause that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
ChanceGavin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 335i sold 16 340i

Mines like that as well. 2016 340i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

You (or she/kids) spilled liquid at some point.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
No, never. Actually I don't have kids that would spill stuff inside.
I wonder if "Mothers VLR" that use to clean the car interior could be somehow related (hopefully not).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Look like she want some carbon fiber
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      04-20-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

$29 at ECS Tuning, or free if you're still under warranty.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/51169234131/
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      04-20-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
$29 at ECS Tuning, or free if you're still under warranty.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/51169234131/
Cheaper than I expected... Not bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
Astone22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320 xdrive, f32 428

My 2015 did the same thing, had it replaced under warranty!
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      04-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #9
undertaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i

Same problem. Assumed, heat and direct sun exposure was the culprit. Live in deep South Texas, where it's consistently in the 80s and 90s or above . Thank you for the link and the solution.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      04-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabloxxi View Post
Quote:
No, never. Actually I don't have kids that would spill stuff inside.
I wonder if "Mothers VLR" that use to clean the car interior could be somehow related (hopefully not).
Well how do you explain the area surrounding the gear shift level is full of dirt, oil, dust, grease and other shit

Not like it was well taken car of.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:18 PM   #11
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well how do you explain the area surrounding the gear shift level is full of dirt, oil, dust, grease and other shit

Well Lieutenant General. I'm surprised your observation, saying it is not well taken care. I actually used an picture found while browsing the internet from another BMW. It called my attention because until that moment I thought it was a problem only on my car. For your information, my car is very clean. People don't smoke, eat or drink anything beyond water inside. Drive through line is unknown thing for me and my family. So to make it clear, I went to the garage to take actual pictures of my issue, and to prove you that there is no other "shit" beyond cosmic dust reflected with the camera flash.
You may also notice, the bubbling / peeling is actually worse in my car when comparing with previous photo. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 10:47 PM   #12
Rebound
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F33: The 435i Convertible

I installed a CarPlay add-on accessory a few weeks ago, and while I was at it, I disassembled most of the shifter console and cleaned every piece. When done, my interior was spotless. Then I took it for a drive with the top down, leaving a fine layer of dust and pollen. :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      04-20-2020, 11:04 PM   #13
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Well Lieutenant General. I'm surprised your observation, saying it is not well taken care. I actually used an picture found while browsing the internet from another BMW. It called my attention because until that moment I thought it was a problem only on my car. For your information, my car is very clean. People don't smoke, eat or drink anything beyond water inside. Drive through line is unknown thing for me and my family. So to make it clear, I went to the garage to take actual pictures of my issue, and to prove you that there is no other "shit" beyond cosmic dust reflected with the camera flash.
You may also notice, the bubbling / peeling is actually worse in my car when comparing with previous photo. Thanks
All I notice is we totally different definition of clean and spotless with that much crap in the cracks.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2020, 11:14 PM   #14
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Have it as well. 7-year old car..figure it is just how it goes. Has nothing to do with cleaning or chemicals used to clean.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      04-20-2020, 11:49 PM   #15
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All I notice is we totally different definition of clean and spotless with that much crap in the cracks.
I admire your capacity to keep a daily driven beater without any dust particle, per your criteria and definition.
Especially because you apparently judge the dust particles may justify the peeling issue, which is the original thread discussion.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:18 AM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I admire your capacity to keep a daily driven beater without any dust particle, per your criteria and definition.
Especially because you apparently judge the dust particles may justify the peeling issue, which is the original thread discussion.
No, it speaks to how it's maintained, which you went on about claiming that because of the way you treated it, you did not cause the bubbles.

While I admire how you want to believe that your wife treats her car with white gloves, the evidence doesn't support it, especially after claiming you cleaned it several weeks ago when trim was off and all that trash deep in between the shifter and the trim.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 12:51 AM   #17
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, it speaks to how it's maintained, which you went on about claiming that because of the way you treated it, you did not cause the bubbles.

While I admire how you want to believe that your wife treats her car with white gloves, the evidence doesn't support it.
Useless comments General. Just useless. You distorted the thread. When you take a picture in the dark with flash, the tiny grains will look bigger and more evident. Maybe you should do the experiment in your daily beater. Anyway, you are just speculating on a pointless subject and irrelevant. I already regret to create this thread here. In fact I have noticed, there is a lot of good people in these forums, but at same time lot of others arrogant, that feel entitled to the absolute true, like the owners of this site.

By the way, it is not me claiming that my center console was full cleaned. It was the other member, meaning you got lost in your argument.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #18
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:

While I admire how you want to believe that your wife treats her car with white gloves, the evidence doesn't support it, especially after claiming you cleaned it several weeks ago when trim was off and all that trash deep in between the shifter and the trim.
Did you ever hear how things you own end up owning you?
You are a text book example.
Appreciate 1
Pauloxxi339.00
      03-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #19
jazz11man1
Rep
Drives: BMW 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astone22 View Post
My 2015 did the same thing, had it replaced under warranty!
I just bought a CPO x3 and noticed similar bubbles near the shifter, the day after I bought the car. The BMW dealer is claiming that it’s not covered by the warranty. I realize that this is a different car, but would think that if something like this is covered by one BMW warranty, it would be covered by another.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:29 PM   #20
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Related to the dust and dirt in nooks and crannies, a detailing brush works wonders. I keep one in my glove box and clean the little cracks between trim pieces, the dash etc on a somewhat regular basis to keep things looking pristine.
Appreciate 0