F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Advanced Car Eye 2.0 failure
Extreme Powerhouse

03-10-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Advanced Car Eye 2.0 failure

I mentioned on here a few months ago that after some old fool reversed into me and later denied it (although thanks to a covertly recorded admission at the time his insurer paid out), I had the new version of the BMW dashcam fitted at a cost of £500. I had a few early problems and the unit was replaced early on.

The replacement now appears to have completely destroyed itself. I was prompted to update the firmware when I connected the iOS app to the dashcam and about 80% of the way through the update, the dashcam appeared to reboot. It now just makes an odd beeping noise and keeps switching itself off. I have tried a full reset, but it makes no difference.

It looks like I will be returning to BMW and asking them to remove it and provide a refund. It was never the most stylish bit of kit and it is pretty expensive, but I wanted to avoid potential blame game problems if I fitted a third party version. Looks like I will have to go for Blackvue or Thinkware and hope I can avoid DAB problems...
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13161.00
      03-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
TR91
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

I've the same issue JD6, I went to check a recorded G-Sensor activity during the week and I was required to update. It started then pretty quickly rebooted. Now it's as you said, G-Sensor alarm goes off once, then 3 beeps before it shuts down. Can't connect to it and can't reset it, so it's useless.

I contacted the BMW Genius live chat today, and without specifying the problem they told me that I'd need to contact a local dealer. Helpful.

Post back if you make and progress, it would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR91 View Post
I've the same issue JD6, I went to check a recorded G-Sensor activity during the week and I was required to update. It started then pretty quickly rebooted. Now it's as you said, G-Sensor alarm goes off once, then 3 beeps before it shuts down. Can't connect to it and can't reset it, so it's useless.

I contacted the BMW Genius live chat today, and without specifying the problem they told me that I'd need to contact a local dealer. Helpful.

Post back if you make and progress, it would be greatly appreciated.
That's really useful to know that I'm not alone with this problem. On past form, I am fairly confident that my local dealer won't have any idea about how to fix this - I was the first person to have the ACE 2.0 fitted by them.

Somebody here reported their recording mode had changed from continuous to G-Sensor only without them making the change - the end result being that the unit failed to record an important incident. I found that mine has done this once as well, which has dented my confidence in the unit.

I will ask them to remove it and refund, and I will let you know how they respond to that.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #4
Bbbeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 840i CG

I have the very same problem following the firmware update and waiting for a response from the support team at ace.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbeemer View Post
I have the very same problem following the firmware update and waiting for a response from the support team at ace.
It's crazy that the software developers have managed to damage, or perhaps destroy their own device. We spend a lot of effort to protect our devices from malicious third party software, but BMW (or Noritel on BMW's behalf) bring out their own! You would have thought that after the first report of this, they would have removed the update from the app, but it's clearly still there. So much for Germanic efficiency...

Please let us know the outcome of your support request. I assume that they may take a while as they will be swamped!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I just went out to my car to put the original micro SD back in, to prepare for the dealer visit, and to my surprise my phone managed to connect to the dashcam. It appears that over the last few hours the app has updated the firmware again - version x.39 instead of x.37, and having installed the new firmware it seems to work again.

It's too soon to be sure that everything works, but I would suggest trying to connect the app to the dashcam again.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
TR91
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Just tried again but no luck. Did you put the original SD Card back in and re-download the app?

In terms of the notoriety of this dashcam I've only had this issue, in saying that the dealer that I got my car and the dashcam from refused to fit it due to past problems during the installation. On top of that, my local dealer was unable to provide any assistance when it came to identifying the connections in the front fuse box simply because they didn't know. Furthermore, they couldn't supply the crimps nor the removal tool needed to terminate the connections. In the end I had to source the crimps and tool from the USA, and thankfully got it connected correctly.

I've seen dealers offering to supply and fit for £500 and if it's done properly as per the installation (No tape and bodge it to cigarette lighter BS), then that is a steal.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I didn’t re-download the app. All I did was plug in the old micro SD which came with the device. Mine was (properly) installed by the dealer for £500. It seemed quite expensive to me, but I was keen for them to be responsible for the dashcam, as well as the car.

I will test it more thoroughly tomorrow, but I did take it for a brief drive and the dashcam operated as normal. I did have to reinstate the continuous recording via the app.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #9
Bbbeemer
Private
Rep

Below is the response from the support team. I haven’t tried it yet to see if it works but it’s the same procedure I had to do a while ago with another issue which it worked on. From memory the .brn file was called something slightly different and it reverts the wifi configuration back to default as well.....

Unfortunately, the update process of the new app causes these issues under certain circumstances.
To restore your camera please follow these steps:

1. Turn your vehicle’s ignition off
2. Remove the SD card from the ACE device
3. Delete the ACE2.BRN file from the SD card (a USB SD card adaptor was included in the original packaging of your ACE device)
4. Reinsert SD card into the ACE device
5. Turn your vehicle’s ignition on

After these steps, the ACE should reboot normally and you can retry the update.

For the update please be sure that the smartphone is not in airplane mode.

Please disconnect the Bluetooth connection of Apple CarPlay and the auto connect function during the update.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Does anyone know what company makes ACE 2.0 for BMW?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Does anyone know what company makes ACE 2.0 for BMW?
Noritel, I believe.

https://www.noritel.de/en/leistungen/fahrerassistenz/
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbbeemer View Post
Below is the response from the support team. I haven’t tried it yet to see if it works but it’s the same procedure I had to do a while ago with another issue which it worked on. From memory the .brn file was called something slightly different and it reverts the wifi configuration back to default as well.....

Unfortunately, the update process of the new app causes these issues under certain circumstances.
To restore your camera please follow these steps:

1. Turn your vehicle’s ignition off
2. Remove the SD card from the ACE device
3. Delete the ACE2.BRN file from the SD card (a USB SD card adaptor was included in the original packaging of your ACE device)
4. Reinsert SD card into the ACE device
5. Turn your vehicle’s ignition on

After these steps, the ACE should reboot normally and you can retry the update.

For the update please be sure that the smartphone is not in airplane mode.

Please disconnect the Bluetooth connection of Apple CarPlay and the auto connect function during the update.
I suppose that by inserting the original micro SD, but formatting it first on my PC to erase my data, I removed the ACE2.BRN file. So I may have inadvertently carried out these steps.

I will be interested to hear if this works for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Bbbeemer
Private
Rep

Quick update, yes it works. If anything goes wrong with the dashcam this seems to be their default reset.

To be fair whenever I email the support team they have replied within 24 hours, just a pity I have to go down this route far too often.
Appreciate 1
JD64193.00
      04-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #14
supermuls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M550 Xi

How-to; Full Reset/Reboot of cam itself?

How does one execute a Full Reset/Reboot of the cam itself?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I mentioned on here a few months ago that after some old fool reversed into me and later denied it (although thanks to a covertly recorded admission at the time his insurer paid out), I had the new version of the BMW dashcam fitted at a cost of £500. I had a few early problems and the unit was replaced early on.

The replacement now appears to have completely destroyed itself. I was prompted to update the firmware when I connected the iOS app to the dashcam and about 80% of the way through the update, the dashcam appeared to reboot. It now just makes an odd beeping noise and keeps switching itself off. I have tried a full reset, but it makes no difference.

It looks like I will be returning to BMW and asking them to remove it and provide a refund. It was never the most stylish bit of kit and it is pretty expensive, but I wanted to avoid potential blame game problems if I fitted a third party version. Looks like I will have to go for Blackvue or Thinkware and hope I can avoid DAB problems...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 05:41 PM   #15
supermuls
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M550 Xi

How does one execute a Full Reset/Reboot of the BMW Eyecam 2.0 cam itself?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 01:51 AM   #16
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermuls View Post
It doesn't have a reset button but does have restore to default/factory via the app.

https://www.noritel.de/fileadmin/red...BMW_latest.pdf

You can also format the SD card via the app.

The firmware is on the SD card.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 02:06 AM   #17
inkiboo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 330xd, E39 M5, I01 i3

I have no idea why people buy a dash cam from BMW when there are so many available that are far cheaper and offer more features.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #18
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermuls View Post
You press the recessed reset button on the underside of the dashcam for 3+ seconds with a sharp object. You just have to ensure that you you look very carefully as the microphone looks very similar and is only 1-2cm away from the reset button.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:50 AM   #19
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkiboo View Post
I have no idea why people buy a dash cam from BMW when there are so many available that are far cheaper and offer more features.
I can't speak for others, but in my case I paid £500 to have the ACE 2.0 installed, knowing that those from Blackvue and Thinkware were cheaper and possibly a little better. I did this as I wanted to avoid potential DAB issues from the rear dashcam, to avoid potential rattles and to keep responsibility for the car in one place - if I had battery problems after installation for example, I didn't want to give them the opportunity to blame the third party dashcam.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 10:13 PM   #20
BigTDogg (MA)
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 Track, 1990 300ZXTT

Is there any additional interoperability between the ACE 2.0 and the factory cameras? Any advantage over aftermarket options?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #21
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTDogg (MA) View Post
Is there any additional interoperability between the ACE 2.0 and the factory cameras? Any advantage over aftermarket options?
It is essentially a stand alone unit, like any other aftermarket dashcam with no link to the car’s inbuilt cameras. The only advantage from my perspective is having BMW supply and fit this one meant that any fault was their responsibility, rather than leaving it open to a supplier, installer and BMW to blame each other.

Some aftermarket dashcams seem to interfere with DAB radio reception and I was keen to avoid this.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 04:55 AM   #22
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTDogg (MA) View Post
It is essentially a stand alone unit, like any other aftermarket dashcam with no link to the car's inbuilt cameras. The only advantage from my perspective is having BMW supply and fit this one meant that any fault was their responsibility, rather than leaving it open to a supplier, installer and BMW to blame each other.

Some aftermarket dashcams seem to interfere with DAB radio reception and I was keen to avoid this.
I hardwired my BlackVue DG650s 2Ch. It has been faultless apart from it lunching a micro SD card, although this happened after a dealer visit, I think they made a pigs ear of reconnecting it jabbing the power pin about and it fried the card.

On the first routing I took it along the headliner and over the tops of the doors, I had bad DAB reception with this, when I had time I perfected the routing following original harness routes with fabric tape, took it along the bottom of the doors. DAB reception has been fine since doing that.

I did look at the BMW cam initially but it just looked to clunky and felt like they were trying to cash in on a market they had not experience in when looking at it.

If going again I would consider Thinkware.
Appreciate 0