F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Storing contacts in car?
proTUNING Freaks

10-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #1
jtpryan
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Question Storing contacts in car?

So I spent like 45 minutes tediously going through the list of contacts while the phone was synced and "adding them to the car" or something like that. My thought being they would be saved locally to the car. I got in the car the next day without my phone, went to bring up one of the contacts and the list was empty. Nothing saved. What is up with that? I love the car (2015 328i), but hate this nav/contact system.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I usually just put my contacts in their case and leave them in the car. Haven't had any issues unless it's really cold and the solution somehow freezes.
Appreciate 1
Korvo368.00
      10-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
I usually just put my contacts in their case and leave them in the car. Haven't had any issues unless it's really cold and the solution somehow freezes.
I keep them in my eyes and don't fuck around.
Korvo368.00
eluded2938.00
      10-07-2018, 12:29 AM   #4
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpryan View Post
So I spent like 45 minutes tediously going through the list of contacts while the phone was synced and "adding them to the car" or something like that. My thought being they would be saved locally to the car. I got in the car the next day without my phone, went to bring up one of the contacts and the list was empty. Nothing saved. What is up with that? I love the car (2015 328i), but hate this nav/contact system.

Jim
Were you really expecting to make a phone call without your phone? Tell us how that works out.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #5
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

I will never save contacts and address on my car. Thats how you get your house robbed.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
jtpryan
Rep

Thanks for the replies, but none of this answers my question. And why would having my sister's address across the country get my house robbed?

The point is, can this be done or am I misunderstanding something?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:10 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

According to the Navigation and Entertainment manual it can be done, though I've never bothered with it. My phone contacts are stored in my phone, my destinations are stored in Nav, so I don't need anything else. My guess is that you didn't follow the instructions in that manual, but I can't say for sure as I've never tried it.
Appreciate 1
tex26702397.50
      10-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #8
jtpryan
Rep

OK, no, I didn't read the manual as it was (I thought) fairly clear. In fact, at the end of this exercise I had a nice list of about 15 or 20 contacts. Now, I know about the phone, and if this were my car that would be fine, but it is my brides car who is not tech savvy, so if the Bluetooth does not connect for some reason it would be very annoying. Having just her important contact saved locally would make her life (and subsequently mine) much easier.

Anyway, I finished everything up and a couple of days later I went to the car to fool around a bit and learn the Nav better. No contacts could be found. I did not have her phone with me. My conclusion was:

1.) It needs the phone to recall the saved contacts (seems silly)
2.) Something is not working correctly, as in broken.

I'm gonna reenter a couple of contacts and see if they stick and get another data point.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #9
jtpryan
Rep

Actually, this is what I did:

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Jim
If all of your contacts automatically sync to your car every time your phone is connected, why would you also go thru the process of saving them to the car?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the replies, but none of this answers my question. And why would having my sister's address across the country get my house robbed?

The point is, can this be done or am I misunderstanding something?
It CAN be done. But the question is why you are doing it this way.

I have a contact saved in my car--it's the address for the other office of the company I work at. I save it to the car because I don't have it as a separate contact in my phone. But any address that is on my phone, if I need to navigate to that address, I just pull it up thru the contacts which are in my phone, not saved to the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #12
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I will never save contacts and address on my car. Thats how you get your house robbed.
You have to save your "Home Contact" to the vehicle in order for the "go home" function to work in the NAV.

But you always make your "home" a few streets away from your real address, like the closest parking lot at a store, or at a nearby intersection.

Making your home contact in your driveway or in front of your house is how you get the house robbed if they steal your car, especially if you have HomeLink or the garage opener in the car.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #13
The Airman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3s

Quote:
OK, no, I didn't read the manual as it was (I thought) fairly clear. In fact, at the end of this exercise I had a nice list of about 15 or 20 contacts. Now, I know about the phone, and if this were my car that would be fine, but it is my brides car who is not tech savvy, so if the Bluetooth does not connect for some reason it would be very annoying. Having just her important contact saved locally would make her life (and subsequently mine) much easier.

Anyway, I finished everything up and a couple of days later I went to the car to fool around a bit and learn the Nav better. No contacts could be found. I did not have her phone with me. My conclusion was:

1.) It needs the phone to recall the saved contacts (seems silly)
2.) Something is not working correctly, as in broken.

I'm gonna reenter a couple of contacts and see if they stick and get another data point.
When you store the contacts to your car, you basically do that for the addresses for the NAV because if you store the contacts name and number only, then don't have the phone with you, that contact is useless.

I often travel to places west of me that have no cell service, so I've stored a few contacts to the vehicle, but basically for the addresses only because that's what pops up in the NAV contact list.

I go through the phone and choose a contact, then press "option" on the iDrive controller. There is a setting to "save contact to vehicle". Then I go back and hit "option"- "edit contact" and make sure the address is correct.

Then when you go back through the contact list, it will tell you if it is stored in the vehicle or on the phone.

Also, it doesn't seem like the phone will sync the contact list unless the car is in "ready" mode. It doesn't seem to sync in "accessory" mode. I have to test that more.

2021 i3s AC Schnitzer
BMW CCA #67486
Appreciate 0