F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Custom Hexagon Corona Ring Headlights (ala Concept 4 Series / 2016 F30 LCI)
Extreme Powerhouse

10-14-2016, 11:32 AM   #45
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2013

I like your work. Would you be willing to share the CAD files for the custom hexagon led corona.

I have a F30 2013 with halogen. I would like to do the retrofit. The CNC guys I work with can sort out the acrylic for me if I have the CAD model.

I understand if you are not comfortable sharing.

I live in UK and sending out the headlight to have them moded is not an option
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #46
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Hello ... its been awhile since i've been on these boards. So many other projects have cropped up, that i have so little time now to do anything with the car. For the most part, my F30 is at a place where i want it, and i'm not doing any more mods. In fact, my next big project is starting work on a mercedes for my wife that will be arriving next month.

As far as this work goes, to be quite honest, i've sort of lost interest in doing any more of this, so i will gladly post up any files of the work i've done here so that some enterprising person can take it and continue to do cool custom headlights on this amazing car.

I don't have any CAD files per se (e.g. autocad), but i do have SVG vector files that can be printed out using a laser cutter. From there, the pieces have to be heated up and hand assembled. But i have an exact template i can give you so that the pieces can be laid down to form/fashion to the final rings.

Would that suffice?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #47
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Hello ... its been awhile since i've been on these boards. So many other projects have cropped up, that i have so little time now to do anything with the car. For the most part, my F30 is at a place where i want it, and i'm not doing any more mods. In fact, my next big project is starting work on a mercedes for my wife that will be arriving next month.

As far as this work goes, to be quite honest, i've sort of lost interest in doing any more of this, so i will gladly post up any files of the work i've done here so that some enterprising person can take it and continue to do cool custom headlights on this amazing car.

I don't have any CAD files per se (e.g. autocad), but i do have SVG vector files that can be printed out using a laser cutter. From there, the pieces have to be heated up and hand assembled. But i have an exact template i can give you so that the pieces can be laid down to form/fashion to the final rings.

Would that suffice?
Hey the SVG vectors files will do I have also spoken with Blueaudi18 and he has been helpful. I was looking at the DTM Style ones available online but they are just not the same with your designs.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 03:21 PM   #48
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTM_BMW View Post
Hey the SVG vectors files will do I have also spoken with Blueaudi18 and he has been helpful. I was looking at the DTM Style ones available online but they are just not the same with your designs.
Appreciate the comments Not tooting my own horn here (as i rely on lasers to do the skill work), but manual scoring with a knife will get no where close to even approaching the precision and clean-ness of the cuts/scores that are required to make these acrylic rings look OEM. Nothing will touch it and nothing will come close.

I only have the ring layout template on the computer i'm currently using, and the actual SVG files for the acrylic pieces themselves are at home. I'll have to dig that out later tonight. But you get an idea of how to assemble the pieces together for the final rings. The SVG file has been zipped up. I did the work with Inkscape (freely available/downloadable on Internet), but it can easily be converted to an Illustrator file if your CNC or Laser takes that format instead.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip 61mm-angel-eyes-final-f30post.zip (3.1 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by squidlyboy; 10-14-2016 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 1
stxf3094.00
      10-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #49
CazuaLLUK
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Black F30 M Sport

Garage List
Them lights look awesome man!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 12:05 AM   #50
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Here is the other SVG file (zipped up) as promised. These dimensions are exact and the laser cutter will cut them precisely. The blue lines are for cuts and the red lines are for scoring/etching.

Convert to the color/width as needed to represent cutting and scoring/etching for your particular CNC/Laser.

Again, Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator should be able to open this SVG file up, and do conversions to other formats as needed.

You will need to cut four of the long sides and four of the short sides to do a full set of (four) rings. You'll also need two each of the bottom pieces for the full set. I only put a single example of each, but you get the idea.

i was able to do a full set of rings for about $10-$15 of raw acrylic material

Even the OSSdesign 6K Iconic acrylic lenses can be done in the same way for about the same price - the angle bends are just a little different, but it can be heated and bent the exact same way ... don't pay $1500 - what a rip off lol

Good luck!
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip 8x8-final-design-with-hockey-sticks.zip (6.9 KB, 140 views)
Appreciate 1
stxf3094.00
      10-15-2016, 11:49 PM   #51
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy
Here is the other SVG file (zipped up) as promised. These dimensions are exact and the laser cutter will cut them precisely. The blue lines are for cuts and the red lines are for scoring/etching.

Convert to the color/width as needed to represent cutting and scoring/etching for your particular CNC/Laser.

Again, Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator should be able to open this SVG file up, and do conversions to other formats as needed.

You will need to cut four of the long sides and four of the short sides to do a full set of (four) rings. You'll also need two each of the bottom pieces for the full set. I only put a single example of each, but you get the idea.

i was able to do a full set of rings for about $10-$15 of raw acrylic material

Even the OSSdesign 6K Iconic acrylic lenses can be done in the same way for about the same price - the angle bends are just a little different, but it can be heated and bent the exact same way ... don't pay $1500 - what a rip off lol

Good luck!
@squidlyboy An innovator since I 1st saw these. The originator...none greater. Mad props for helping other peeps out!
      10-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #52
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi, thanks for uploading the files. The design looks amazing. But I am now thinking of going with the iJDMTOY F30 angel eyes

I don’t know if there is a difference between the US and UK F30 halogen headlights. When I start the car at night I can see some kind of automatic vertical levelling of the light beam. The light beam moves down then up. It seems like the size/depth of the acrylic in your design will block the movement of the bowl. Is this something you simply code OFF?

The thickness (less than 1cm I think) of the iJDMTOY angel eyes seems to be just enough to be mounted without restricting the movement of the bowl.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:32 PM   #53
pucka.costello
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530

What thickness of acrylic did you use ?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #54
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States