F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Retrofit bmw integrated Sat Nav TMC not working
Studio RSR

07-21-2016, 01:22 AM   #1
DEVINE
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 Luxury Mineral Grey

Retrofit bmw integrated Sat Nav TMC not working

Hello there gents... I have a 2013 F31 luxury, I bought it preowned from an official dealer. It didn't have sat nav so I paid to have The Harman BMW integrated navigation installed.
It runs fine, everything works apart from the TMC.
I've updated the kit with recent software 3.1.15 and I've updated maps. But no joy. I've tried to tune to classic fm, but it doesn't stay locked on the station it keeps hopping. Again no joy. "Tmc on route" is greyed out. Is there any tips or tricks Im missing. Really really want help with this.

Took the car to a dealer here and they can't get it to work. And another car with a new retrofit system was there as well by chance, and still doesn't have tmc working.... Grrrr
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

I've never heard of the Harman navigation! What is it?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:00 AM   #3
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Is that the official BMW retrofit for us paupers who didn't sped up sat nav in the first place.

Be interested in your experience if it is as was toying with that or a recycled head unit.
      07-21-2016, 03:42 AM   #4
DEVINE
Rep

Well it's made by Becker apparently but the software says it's Harman Becker... And yeah it was a 750 retrofit upgrade with Sytner in sheffield. And the flipping tmc refuses to work! The engineers in Bristol have tried everything.

Last edited by DEVINE; 07-21-2016 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:43 AM   #5
DEVINE
Rep

Kal, it's actually a pretty good sat nav just aside from this particular fault... Does anyone else have it?

Last edited by DEVINE; 07-21-2016 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
Kal1013103.50
      07-21-2016, 03:47 AM   #6
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Surely if its supposed to have it they should be working with the manufacturers to sort it for you?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 03:55 AM   #7
DEVINE
Rep

Sadly the manufacturers customer service phone line is no longer attached. And the BMW guys says response from the manufacturer there end takes a while

Update

Im at Dick Lovett now funnily enough, and they've just had a response. They're gonna try three things that I've already tried and failing that. I guess replace the unit. But I'm dubious about that as this other poor bugger's car has the same fault!

Last edited by DEVINE; 07-21-2016 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: Updates
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:05 AM   #8
philiper1
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i LCI

Garage List
is this what you have retrofitted?

http://www.cotswoldcheltenhambmw.co....ed-navigation/
      07-21-2016, 04:09 AM   #9
DEVINE
Rep

It sure is philiper
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If it is anything like the Mercedes retrofit unit (which I think it is), then there's your problem. It seems in Europe they use one channel to broadcast TMC, whereas in the UK it varies, geographically. Actually in the UK we use radio station signals with a second broadcast of the TMC overlaid in it. Europe use a dedicated TMC channel, same frequency countrywide.

Some of these retrofit nav units only pick up TMC signal in certain parts of the country (UK). If this is your problem, then there is nothing anyone can do about it (other than the manufacturer to develop a UK channel hopping system). But as they have known about it for years, I doubt that's the priority.

Mercedes removed my unit and gave a full refund due to TMC.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2016, 04:25 AM   #11
philiper1
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post

Mercedes removed my unit and gave a full refund due to TMC.
having read the thorough information here, I think you will be better off getting your money back! as it is not worth that much money and hassle to be honest.
      07-21-2016, 04:33 AM   #12
DEVINE
Rep

Oh God really? Welll that's no good at all. I can't believe it. They shouldn't sell it in the UK if it doesn't perform as written. I shall forward this on to my dealer and see what they say. Thanks for the info guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:36 AM   #13
DEVINE
Rep

Just quickly How come tmc works with bmw sat nav most of the time then?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 05:02 AM   #14
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVINE
Just quickly How come tmc works with bmw sat nav most of the time then?
In car systems like Pro-nav use a combo of radio and cellular data. They also have a more advanced multi channel TMC tuner, as they have a full radio, and the channel hopping capability that goes with it, built in.

Those add on units have their own tuner, and not a very good one at that.

*Edit: sorry I should change that to, fit for European use, but not great in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 05:04 AM   #15
DEVINE
Rep

Ah I got you. Um is there a way of pimping the more superior tmc tuner? As really these retrofits are not fit for purpose :-)
Also explains why the other guys motor isn't behaving also.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #16
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

Hi Devine,

I've just purchased an F30 320D and also got the retrofit Sat Nav installed as the rest of the spec. was exactly what I wanted, apart from integrated Sat Nav.

After reading the retrofit datasheet, which talked about dynamic route guidance via TMC and also finding the integrated-navigation.com which has a £50 option for real time traffic updates (pro TMC), it sounded like a great addition for the cost.

The traffic back home from the dealer (2 hours away) was pretty bad and I noticed the sat nav didn't attempt to do any dynamic re-routing which I thought was odd - once I got home I found the TMC advanced menu and saw that the SatNav was constantly searching FM frequencies looking for a TMC source (like Classic FM) but it never found one and just kept going up and down the frequencies forever.

I assume yours does the same?

Until I found your post, I assumed the dealer hadn't fitted the TMC antenna properly or there was a fault with my unit.

Assuming we all haven't got duff hardware, this sounds like a software problem to me, or possibly a lack of TMC license to use the UK service.

I found some posts about the Becker Map Pilot which seems a rebranded version of the same retrofit unit and that appears to have had similar TMC problems in certain software releases in the past.

I've asked my dealer to raise the issue with BMW UK as ultimately it is supplied as a BMW accessory and they should deal with Harman to get the problem resolved - given the integrated-navigation.com is still active and allowing you to make purchases makes me think they must still be supporting the units and fixing software issues/bug as well as releasing map updates.

Did you have any luck contacting Harman, or have you heard any more from your dealer?

If you want to combine efforts to approach BMW UK together with our respective dealers, then drop me a PM and we can discuss offline.

Thanks

JJ
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #17
DEVINE
Rep

Pm'd you fella... Let's see what we can do
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #18
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVINE View Post
Pm'd you fella... Let's see what we can do
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjo View Post
Hi Devine,

I've just purchased an F30 320D and also got the retrofit Sat Nav installed as the rest of the spec. was exactly what I wanted, apart from integrated Sat Nav.

After reading the retrofit datasheet, which talked about dynamic route guidance via TMC and also finding the integrated-navigation.com which has a £50 option for real time traffic updates (pro TMC), it sounded like a great addition for the cost.

The traffic back home from the dealer (2 hours away) was pretty bad and I noticed the sat nav didn't attempt to do any dynamic re-routing which I thought was odd - once I got home I found the TMC advanced menu and saw that the SatNav was constantly searching FM frequencies looking for a TMC source (like Classic FM) but it never found one and just kept going up and down the frequencies forever.

I assume yours does the same?

Until I found your post, I assumed the dealer hadn't fitted the TMC antenna properly or there was a fault with my unit.

Assuming we all haven't got duff hardware, this sounds like a software problem to me, or possibly a lack of TMC license to use the UK service.

I found some posts about the Becker Map Pilot which seems a rebranded version of the same retrofit unit and that appears to have had similar TMC problems in certain software releases in the past.

I've asked my dealer to raise the issue with BMW UK as ultimately it is supplied as a BMW accessory and they should deal with Harman to get the problem resolved - given the integrated-navigation.com is still active and allowing you to make purchases makes me think they must still be supporting the units and fixing software issues/bug as well as releasing map updates.

Did you have any luck contacting Harman, or have you heard any more from your dealer?

If you want to combine efforts to approach BMW UK together with our respective dealers, then drop me a PM and we can discuss offline.

Thanks

JJ
Keep us all posted on here.

Let them know others on the forum are awaiting the outcome of your issues as well . Strength in numbers etc etc.
      08-16-2016, 06:32 PM   #19
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. 101 View Post
Keep us all posted on here.

Let them know others on the forum are awaiting the outcome of your issues as well . Strength in numbers etc etc.
Will do Kal...I'm trying to add weight to Devine's dealer investigation as BMW UK are already involved whereas my original purchase dealer wants me to return the car (four hour round trip drive!!) just to "diagnose" the issue.

It does seem to be a UK specific issue as BMW seem completely unaware of any other similar issue across Europe and I'm guessing they haven't sold that many retrofit units in the uk...
Appreciate 1
Kal1013103.50
      08-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #20
2real4u
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Is very easy to do retrofit from standard radio CHAMP_HU to NBT. It cost more money that retrofit mentioned above by bmw dealer. In result you get professional satnav system with plenty of other options.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #21
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2real4u View Post
Is very easy to do retrofit from standard radio CHAMP_HU to NBT. It cost more money that retrofit mentioned above by bmw dealer. In result you get professional satnav system with plenty of other options.
How much are we talking? Is this DIY only, or can you recommend a fitter?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 12:18 PM   #22
rp2pilot
Rep
Drives: 2015 328 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVINE View Post
Hello there gents... I have a 2013 F31 luxury, I bought it preowned from an official dealer. It didn't have sat nav so I paid to have The Harman BMW integrated navigation installed.
It runs fine, everything works apart from the TMC.
I've updated the kit with recent software 3.1.15 and I've updated maps. But no joy. I've tried to tune to classic fm, but it doesn't stay locked on the station it keeps hopping. Again no joy. "Tmc on route" is greyed out. Is there any tips or tricks Im missing. Really really want help with this.

Took the car to a dealer here and they can't get it to work. And another car with a new retrofit system was there as well by chance, and still doesn't have tmc working.... Grrrr
Did you ever get the TMC issue resolved? I had the North American version installed recently. It's an impressive addition and integrates nicely with the I-drive system, however I can't seem to get the TMC functions working either.
Appreciate 0