F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is 2014 Business Nav CIC or NBT?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Is 2014 Business Nav CIC or NBT?

I've ordered a 2014 F30 with Business Nav & i'm just wondering if it's CIC or NBT? Or neither, as i thought that CIC has a hard drive, but from what i've read the Business nav doesn't have a hdd! But i think the business nav doesn't have a DVD slot so surely it does have a hdd that the maps run off?

I have scoured the net for information about this but theres seems to be very little out there about the business nav compared to professional!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Is there really nobody that knows?!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Is there really nobody that knows?!
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794047

This the thread I looked at when looking at the various Nav options/spec
I don't know the answer about the maps I'm afraid

I have advanced but pretty sure only pro has the Hard drive which to be honest is pretty pointless when you can buy a 32 Gb USB for £15

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Thanks, but that's quite an old thread, from before NBT came out i believe.

I want to know how it will work updating the maps really. Not bothered about storing music on the hdd.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f31 335d estoril blue

I believe the maps are stored on internal flash memory and will probably be updated via the USB port.

It isnt CIC or NBT, I suspect it will be different hardware and a different supplier for the Business Nav.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

The new Nav's are NBT mate, business doesn't have a HDD you can store music and the like on and your maps are installed (updated) via USB.

H
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH28 View Post
I believe the maps are stored on internal flash memory and will probably be updated via the USB port.

It isnt CIC or NBT, I suspect it will be different hardware and a different supplier for the Business Nav.
Thanks for the input.

Are you sure it isn't CIC or NBT? How do you know?

Sorry to doubt your knowledge but you did use the words probably and suspect. Again no one seems to know anything certain about bus nav.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
The new Nav's are NBT mate, business doesn't have a HDD you can store music and the like on and your maps are installed (updated) via USB.

H
Ah so Business now is NBT? Does it use the same map updates as prof then?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

All Nav's are NBT not just Business.

I can't answer that for sure but I couldn't imagine there would be a difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Yea i knew prof is now NBT, just nothing anywhere mentions that Business changed too.

Right so it should be the same as prof except no 3d buildings or split screen or hdd or touchpad controller
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Are you sure it isn't CIC or NBT? How do you know?

Sorry to doubt your knowledge but you did use the words probably and suspect. Again no one seems to know anything certain about bus nav.
I work in an infotainment team for my job, the high systems are completely different than the low ones and are usually a different supplier.

I cant tell you exactly what the system is because it isnt the one people generally upgrade to, so not many people have had them out. but the CIC, NBT etc are all the high systems, there is a quite alot of difference, it isnt just about the NAV and HDD. It just depends if you want all the bells and whistles like connected drive, apps, very advanced traffic info, The pro nav is probably the best system around of its kind around now.
To me its a big deal but I enjoy the technology, but my father in law has the business nav and is happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yea i knew prof is now NBT, just nothing anywhere mentions that Business changed too.

Right so it should be the same as prof except no 3d buildings or split screen or hdd or touchpad controller
Yes, and smaller screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #13
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Right so one person is saying it is NBT, and another is saying it isn't NBT or CIC!

Now i'm confused!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 02:28 AM   #14
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

It is a different system than NBT definately.

It still has a similar software Interface as this is what BMW specify as the BMW look and feel, but it is not the same processor and doesnt have the hardware for all the connected apps, bluetooth audio etc, also the screen isnt just bigger its a lower resolution.

The business Nav is nothing like the Nav on Prof media, there are far more features on prof nav, whether they are of benefit to you is another question.
You can send online routes to the system from your PC/Phone, use the destination from the facebook checkins, use google online search. Then there is the real time traffic which is simply brilliant...as it uses Mobile Phone signal data like Google maps, so it really is real time. The business nav has TMC which is based on cameras and radio signals, so is ok for big jams but can be out of date and behind quite quickly.

What is it that actually want to know?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #15
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Just wanted to know if the idrive is the newer look and design, and how the maps are updated really.

Btw regarding the bluetooth audio, it's an optional extra on both the business and professional so both should have the same hardware in those regards shouldn't they?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just wanted to know if the idrive is the newer look and design, and how the maps are updated really.

Btw regarding the bluetooth audio, it's an optional extra on both the business and professional so both should have the same hardware in those regards shouldn't they?
Ok,

Well the look and feel is more like the CIC version in terms of the graphics colour. But to be honest BMW have kept the same look and feel for a long time, its just evolved.

The Bluetooth is there really on the Prof nav, I have coded it in on mine,
it needs to have the seperate combox to work on the business, so cannot just be coded, which is how it was done on the CIC version. This is also the reason that you cannot plug a iphone/ipod directly to the business nav without the Y cable.....the combox plays the part of the Y cable....which is done with the snap in adaptor.

My father in law has the business nav, so I have checked both.

Hope that helps....a bit more
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I think i see now. Thanks for your help. Although still nothing definite about updating the maps which i'd like to know for under a years time when new maps should be available.

Glad i'm not worried about the bluetooth or playing music from my iphone in any way, usb stick works perfectly for me.

Coding the enhanced bluetooth adds album art for usb sticks as well i suppose? I believe you don't get album art otherwise? That is something i wouldn't mind, but obviously not worth the cost of adding prof media!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #18
DaveH28
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think i see now. Thanks for your help. Although still nothing definite about updating the maps which i'd like to know for under a years time when new maps should be available.

Glad i'm not worried about the bluetooth or playing music from my iphone in any way, usb stick works perfectly for me.

Coding the enhanced bluetooth adds album art for usb sticks as well i suppose? I believe you don't get album art otherwise? That is something i wouldn't mind, but obviously not worth the cost of adding prof media!
Sorry, I cant be definite on the Map update, On the lower VW sat nav, the maps are stored on the internal flash and updated via SD card, I am only presuming it will be the same on the business nav fro BMW, as there are similar ways of doing things between the different brands (you find that alot of the suppliers are the same)

As for the enhanced bluetooth, I dont think it will affect your USB, On mine I get all the album via my iphone when it is plugged in, infact I get it from the stuff I have copied to the hdd from a usb aswell
Adding enhanced bluetooth to the business nav will give you voice control, bluetooth audio (with album art), phone in snapin adpator, and office capability.
But I think (would need to test) if the business nav software itself supports album art then you should get that from your usb without enhanced bluetooth., also probably depends on how the album art is attached to the music, it might have to be part of the ID3 tag.

Enjoy the car!!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I had a 62 plate f30 with business nav and enhanced bluetooth as a courtesy car and it did the album art from usb stick. But i've read somewhere that the enhanced bt adds album art, so i'm thinking my car won't have it. Will be a bonus if it does!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Well i've finally found the answer to my original question, although the table is pre F30, it shows that bus nav is now CHAMP2 (Central Headunit And Multimedia Platform) so it's newer than CIC but less advanced than NBT.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #21
Mattjkilo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Well i've finally found the answer to my original question, although the table is pre F30, it shows that bus nav is now CHAMP2 (Central Headunit And Multimedia Platform) so it's newer than CIC but less advanced than NBT.
Teaston,

I too have ordered the car with Business Nav and have been informed to get iPhone connectivity (with the music atleast) all that is needed is the standard iPhone cable, can you comment if this actually is the case as I've been reading elsewhere that I will have to purchase the Y Cable for it instead....hopefully not misinformed by the dealer! :-S
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #22
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattjkilo View Post
Teaston,

I too have ordered the car with Business Nav and have been informed to get iPhone connectivity (with the music atleast) all that is needed is the standard iPhone cable, can you comment if this actually is the case as I've been reading elsewhere that I will have to purchase the Y Cable for it instead....hopefully not misinformed by the dealer! :-S
Wrong - only Pro Nav can use the standard USB cable; Y cable is required for Biz Nav. Unless that has changed from the Mar production Nav enhancements this year...

Last edited by G82Dude; 02-18-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0