F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > New A6
GetBMWParts

03-01-2018, 01:53 AM   #23
AlphaBravo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport Coupe

I love technology when it seems warranted.

However, what on earth is the point of all the touchscreen stuff to do a job that a couple of rotary dials will do quicker, more easily and safely?

Seems too fussy inside.
Appreciate 2
DaveH28287.00
      03-01-2018, 02:04 AM   #24
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

And that’s assuming the touchscreens work in the cold, which has been a big issue for Vw over the last few years. It’s all well and good the screen being on but if you can’t select anything what’s the point. And loving the fact the development cretins never thought a backup cursor/button highlighter working its way round the screen operated by the wheels (on the older screens) would have been useful! Can’t even do that now the latest screens have no wheels....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:16 AM   #25
bodtwo
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
520d user taking about joy from driving , I will be damned!🤓
Start optymizing code people!

On serious note , I am sure Audi spent millions on research regarding screen placements etc. Tech is there and it really sets it apart from competition. E and A6 already went full screen setup. Only BMW left , just a matter of time IMHO.
No 520D here, although the 3 hearse is not known for being overly dynamic.

Millions is subjective in auto dev, as is the power of purchasing when looking at rationalising costs and putting risk out to tier one's and two's and then marketing spinning things.

I agree with you that everything apart from uber premium brands will likely go full oled and maybe we'll see actual physical buttons and dials as part of an options list, much like the smokers pack.

Personally i'd like to see better HUD/voice integration as had been suggested as well as better use of haptics and AR.
      03-01-2018, 03:37 AM   #26
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
No 520D here, although the 3 hearse is not known for being overly dynamic.

Millions is subjective in auto dev, as is the power of purchasing when looking at rationalising costs and putting risk out to tier one's and two's and then marketing spinning things.

I agree with you that everything apart from uber premium brands will likely go full oled and maybe we'll see actual physical buttons and dials as part of an options list, much like the smokers pack.

Personally i'd like to see better HUD/voice integration as had been suggested as well as better use of haptics and AR.
They really improved voice control on new gen A6 / A7 / A8. Introduced haptic feedback as well. Screens are of hi res and nicely laid. Now sure why BMW are so restricted when it comes to technology , perhaps they are afraid of radical move or perhaps tech is gen behind - no clue but seriously , 5 series already looks outdated compared to likes of E class or A6.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 03:45 AM   #27
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
I think it looks fantastic. It just shows that Audi caught up with BMWs and in some departements like tech and interiors are actually market leaders.

I'm surprised anyone would think this looks fantastic. I can imagine some people thinking it looked smart, even fairly sleek perhaps, but fantastic? It looks like a very conservative design to me, with little change from the previous model.

The looks wouldn't put me off buying one, even though it looks very bland to my eyes, if the car itself was good enough. Take away the grille and it could easily be a Kia or a Hyundai. The touchscreens might put me off though - that really looks like technology for its own sake. A step backwards from physical controls. And the fake exhausts are just dreadful - either put real ones or hide them.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2018, 06:57 AM   #28
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
They really improved voice control on new gen A6 / A7 / A8. Introduced haptic feedback as well. Screens are of hi res and nicely laid. Now sure why BMW are so restricted when it comes to technology , perhaps they are afraid of radical move or perhaps tech is gen behind - no clue but seriously , 5 series already looks outdated compared to likes of E class or A6.
Can't speak for the A6, but having driven both the 5 series and an E class for a few hundred miles the 5 series is very much not outdated. The E class looks great in photos, but in reality the interior is a difficult to use and the infotainment still woefully inadequate just like earlier generations.

I ordered a 5 series because in my opinion it was better looking, more comfortable, a better drive, and had an easier to use infotainment system.

If I were ordering now I'd certainly look at and drive an A6, but it wasn't available at time of ordering. I don't like the touchscreens (which incidentally the E class didn't have, which is a good thing IMHO).
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #29
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post

I'm surprised anyone would think this looks fantastic. I can imagine some people thinking it looked smart, even fairly sleek perhaps, but fantastic? It looks like a very conservative design to me, with little change from the previous model.

The looks wouldn't put me off buying one, even though it looks very bland to my eyes, if the car itself was good enough. Take away the grille and it could easily be a Kia or a Hyundai. The touchscreens might put me off though - that really looks like technology for its own sake. A step backwards from physical controls. And the fake exhausts are just dreadful - either put real ones or hide them.
I guess it's personal preference, I like it because it looks pretty sleek and everything looks in proportion.

A lot of new big saloons don't. The new 5 series just doesn't look right to me, something about the nose being too big and sticky out and the rear looks weirdly stretched. The XF is the same, weird rear end, and somehow the rear half looks higher and less sporty than the model it replaced.

Even afer time neither model has grown on me like they usually do,and they look like a backwards step from the models they replaced.

Yes this is similar to the outgoing one, which I liked, but importantly it does look like an advance and not a step back.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #30
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:

Well I like it. Please dont be surprised , its called preference or taste. No pun intended.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:04 PM   #31
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well I like it. Please dont be surprised , its called preference or taste. No pun intended.
I'm not surprised that someone likes it. It was the 'looks fantastic' bit I was a little unsure about, given that they appear to have relaunched the old model by mistake
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:24 PM   #32
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
I'm not surprised that someone likes it. It was the 'looks fantastic' bit I was a little unsure about, given that they appear to have relaunched the old model by mistake
Lol. Touche 😋
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2018, 12:25 PM   #33
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Looks smart but the fake zorst look is awful. Plus The touch screen takes the same space as buttons would for the aircon so seems pointless to me. Also as he showed the pinch and zoom doesn't always work and if you have greesy or really dry fingers they don't always work either.

I imagine the rs6 will look good mind..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #35
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225 View Post
I imagine the rs6 will look good mind..
I do like the look of the current RS6, perhaps because I respect it, and the new one will probably look rather similar...

I also quite like the S8, and have toyed with the idea of one for a couple of years if those cheap lease deals are still around when I’m looking to change. Makes no sense at all on UK roads but I can imagine it being fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:19 PM   #36
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:

New gen 5 series looks like car from 2013 now.
In what way? It just looks generic and lumpen like most Audi cars, doesn't look any different to the current A6.
      03-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #37
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F30

Don’t know, to me the A6 interior looks miles better than the 5 series. It’s much more modern, luxurious and fresh. Sad to say but that’s what it looks like. Shame for the exterior though!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #38
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioannisG View Post
Don’t know, to me the A6 interior looks miles better than the 5 series. It’s much more modern, luxurious and fresh. Sad to say but that’s what it looks like. Shame for the exterior though!
TBH you drive a an F30 either would be a dream to sit in front of...
      03-02-2018, 05:03 PM   #39
ioannisG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Sure but the 5 series actually isn’t that different design wise from a 3 series. Material sure are better but design isn’t.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:04 PM   #40
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So do you in all but name...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #41
Roberto71
Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB E220d

Sorry, but the touchscreens are a disaster. The fingerprints and the danger in trying to access functions on a touchscreen over buttons make this a retrograde step imho. With buttons, you know where they are and what they access and you hit them without taking your eyes off the road.

I much prefer the A4/A5/Q5/Q7 interior design with the scroll wheel MMI. I hope BMW does not go down this route.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 04:06 AM   #42
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
In what way? It just looks generic and lumpen like most Audi cars, doesn't look any different to the current A6.
tech-wise , looks are personal thing but tech-wise it is much more advanced car.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 04:08 AM   #43
ciscopete822
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberto71 View Post
Sorry, but the touchscreens are a disaster. The fingerprints and the danger in trying to access functions on a touchscreen over buttons make this a retrograde step imho. With buttons, you know where they are and what they access and you hit them without taking your eyes off the road.

I much prefer the A4/A5/Q5/Q7 interior design with the scroll wheel MMI. I hope BMW does not go down this route.
they wont.... cause they dont have technology yet
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #44
MikeMc
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335d Shadow

Fake exhausts look awful
Appreciate 0