F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > SiO2 vs PowerLock
GetBMWParts

09-26-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep
Drives: E30, E82, F30, F87

SiO2 vs PowerLock

Hey guys,

Just found out about SiO2 spray sealants.

My question is can I use this SiO2 on top of a sealant like PowerLock?
I figure this spray would be super easy to apply every other wash or so to keep the car protected.

My goal is not to have show car finish, but the easiest way to have protection for a daily driver. Is this overkill? Or is this SiO2 enough if used regularly, that PowerLock is not necessary?

Also is there another good spray sealant (easy to use) you would recommend as a maintenance coat to keep the car protected?

Thanks in advance,
-San
      09-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You're putting one hydrophobic on top of another hydrophobic. I don't see the need. I apply Power Lock twice a year, the first time after I give it a spring polish, the second time in the fall for extra protection against winter road salt. If I didn't have winter road salt to deal with I'd only apply in the spring.
Appreciate 1
Tchao333.50
      09-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You're putting one hydrophobic on top of another hydrophobic. I don't see the need. I apply Power Lock twice a year, the first time after I give it a spring polish, the second time in the fall for extra protection against winter road salt. If I didn't have winter road salt to deal with I'd only apply in the spring.

How many layers of PowerLock do you apply? Do you use wax or anything else on top of PowerLock to keep it fresh for a full 6mos?

My problem is I cannot get it to last more than a few months.
      09-26-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I use one layer, but I don't drive a lot, so you may want to use two to last longer. It's all I use. I only wash with Optimum No Rinse, which may extend its life.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #5
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
How many layers of PowerLock do you apply? Do you use wax or anything else on top of PowerLock to keep it fresh for a full 6mos?

My problem is I cannot get it to last more than a few months.
You potentially could be using a stronger soap that's stripping your LSP.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
Tchao
Boost Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
You potentially could be using a stronger soap that's stripping your LSP.
Maybe?
I am using Honey Dew from Chemical Guys with recommend ratios.
I wash about every 2 weeks.

Any other "easy" sealant you guys might suggest as a maintenance coat?
If not I might just try a quick SiO2 application monthly and see if that works to keep the car hydrophilic since theres no issue with it over the Power Lock. Or ditch the PL all together and just use a spray sealant more frequently.
      09-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #7
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Maybe?
I am using Honey Dew from Chemical Guys with recommend ratios.
I wash about every 2 weeks.

Any other "easy" sealant you guys might suggest as a maintenance coat?
If not I might just try a quick SiO2 application monthly and see if that works to keep the car hydrophilic since theres no issue with it over the Power Lock. Or ditch the PL all together and just use a spray sealant more frequently.
I use Honeydew for mild/light washes. It should be fine.

HydrO2 is incredibly simple to apply. It's literally spray on rinse off.

By layering a silica based sealant over PL, you could be negating the PL effects though. Case by case basis on LSPs, they don't always work in conjunction together. That being said, I've heard amazing things about PL but I'm not well versed with the product itself. You might be able to find some sealant combinations on the F80/82 forums in their detailing section. I check it often and there's a lot of useful discussions there too.
Appreciate 1
Tchao333.50
      10-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

I just bought some CQuartz because I can't get my Adam's Polishes sealant to last more than 4 months or so. I reapplied in April and then started using spray detailer/wax on top to help improve longevity but I noticed this weekend it's already starting to fail. It breads pretty nicely under rain or light mist, but if I really throw water at it then the hood doesn't sheet very well.

I used to use Meguiars wash & wax but switched to just the ultimate car wash. I don't think that would be too harsh for the sealant but maybe I'm wrong. 2 bucket method with a wool mit and all that other jazz.

The only other quick sealant I'm looking at is meguiars ultimate fast finish. It has a lot of good reviews but I haven't tried it personally. I do like that it's in a regular aerosol can. Seems easier to apply than typical spray bottles.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0