F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Oil seepage from oil inlet
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
NICKTENN's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 340i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Suburb of Tampa FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Oil seepage from oil inlet

Anyone else experience this while tracking/autocrossing? I made only 5 runs, opened the hood for cooling and noticed oil on the front of the engine. After removing the engine cover, it was clear it was seepage from where you fill the engine with oil. Any suggestions/comments?
__________________
2016 340i M Sport Alpine White, BMS Intake, JB4 Beta

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
100
Rep
1,997
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN View Post
Anyone else experience this while tracking/autocrossing? I made only 5 runs, opened the hood for cooling and noticed oil on the front of the engine. After removing the engine cover, it was clear it was seepage from where you fill the engine with oil. Any suggestions/comments?
Me too!

(and apparently I have a different filter/thermostat to oil cooler setup than any picture I've seen anywhere, so there's that too)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
NICKTENN's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 340i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Suburb of Tampa FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I was thinking about that today and my suspicion is that you have one of the first dealer models that was maybe expected to be driven hard by a lot of people, so maybe instead of having a thermostat to turn the oil cooler on/off, yours just runs all the time. Almost like a magazine demo car type deal. I wonder if you have any additional cooling as well?

Fyi, this is only a theory with no facts to back it up.
__________________
2016 340i M Sport Alpine White, BMS Intake, JB4 Beta

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
100
Rep
1,997
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN View Post
I was thinking about that today and my suspicion is that you have one of the first dealer models that was maybe expected to be driven hard by a lot of people, so maybe instead of having a thermostat to turn the oil cooler on/off, yours just runs all the time. Almost like a magazine demo car type deal. I wonder if you have any additional cooling as well?

Fyi, this is only a theory with no facts to back it up.
I was sorta thinking the same thing, but that seems weird. But... My car runs extremely cool. After the 3 runs I did back to back to back, my war was well below 240 degrees (probably 220ish). It never even got to the middle mark on the temp gauge.

In fact, when I let it sit for a while between runs (the few I did) it cooled off to 160. On my way home (35 miles or so) it sat between the two marks (160 and 250 I believe). Seems weird it runs so cool. I think that was even cooler than normal. Usually it'll take awhile, but it will get a bit shy of the middle mark.

It's a mystery. I should take some pics and see if anyone around here knows whats up.

Last edited by tdizzle; 04-07-2013 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
NICKTENN
Second Lieutenant
NICKTENN's Avatar
United_States
47
Rep
265
Posts

Drives: 340i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Suburb of Tampa FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Yeah, take some pics and maybe post them on N54tech, I bet they'll know something about it.
__________________
2016 340i M Sport Alpine White, BMS Intake, JB4 Beta

2012 335i Sport Line, RIP
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
tdizzle
Colonel
United_States
100
Rep
1,997
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKTENN View Post
Yeah, take some pics and maybe post them on N54tech, I bet they'll know something about it.
Have any pictures of yours? I found a few online but I think they may be E90s, although I bet they're the same. It may be that I just have a black area under the filter with grooves while the others (yours) is all silver. Hard to compare.
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST