F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > "ASS is deadly" - ASS Lawsuit...
proTUNING Freaks

09-01-2015, 05:15 PM   #45
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

This is why society is doomed.

People are pretty much getting to the point where they are too stupid to remember to breath......and somehow that's everyone else's problem.

Morons like these people are why we have warnings not to use toasters in the bathtub, or hair dryers in the shower.

ASS doesn't kill people, this is Darwinism at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacer View Post
In the UK, when you open the driver's door, it gives you a warning and then disables ASS. It'll leave the car with the ignition on, but won't restart itself.
I know this is how mine works as well. When we first got the car I usually swing by the mailbox and I just jump out, grab the mail and jump back in. Obviously with ASS on the car turns off and goes to ready.....but the second the door is opened the car shuts OFF.

I have to hit the start button again for the engine to turn back on. It does not restart on it's own.

This is personal stupidity at it's finest and not an issue with the car.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 06:50 PM   #46
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
This is why society is doomed.

People are pretty much getting to the point where they are too stupid to remember to breath......and somehow that's everyone else's problem.

Morons like these people are why we have warnings not to use toasters in the bathtub, or hair dryers in the shower.

ASS doesn't kill people, this is Darwinism at work.
And is exactly why Walmart now posts a sign at their front door reminding shoppers not to forget your child in the car--oh yeah, I forgot. Automakers *should* create a warning system for that...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #47
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Here's the question I'd like to know the answer to...

Of all the folks complaining about these features (or complaining about someone killed by CO poisoning caused by these features), what percentage of owners actually ever read their owner's manual?

If a feature malfunctions and behaves in a way that causes harm, that's a manufacturer's problem.

If the user doesn't take the time to read the instructions describing how to appropriately utilize his 1 1/2-2 ton guided missile, it's his fault.

Is Boeing responsible for a plane crash when the plane was flown by an unqualified pilot?

Evidently some think so...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 10:07 PM   #48
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewacket69 View Post
Of all the folks complaining about these features (or complaining about someone killed by CO poisoning caused by these features), what percentage of owners actually ever read their owner's manual?
If a feature malfunctions and behaves in a way that causes harm, that's a manufacturer's problem.
If the user doesn't take the time to read the instructions describing how to appropriately utilize his 1 1/2-2 ton guided missile, it's his fault.
Is Boeing responsible for a plane crash when the plane was flown by an unqualified pilot?
The reason these suits take place is because it costs next to nothing to file them, there's nothing to lose if you don't win, and it's cheaper for manufacturers to settle than it is to defend themselves. Nuisance suits are rare in Europe, because there if the plaintiff loses they have to pay the defendant's costs, and if the suit is deemed frivolous they can even be made to pay a penalty. I haven't watched European TV, but I suspect that you don't see ambulance chasers trolling for business via TV ads there. Nuisance suit numbers skyrocketed in the US after lawyers were allowed by the Supreme Court to advertise on TV. Perhaps some UK members could tell us if there's any such thing as a contingency barrister.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #49
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 325i, '15 335i

Quote:

I read my owners manual a couple times before my car arrived...and I've referred to it since.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #50
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Actually if ASS kicks in and the driver leaves the car (Unbuckles Seatbelt and Opens Door) the Car goes into Ignition On Mode which requires you to depress the brake and push the start button in order to turn the engine back on,, So I don't think that this is the case with BMW's...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #51
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
Quote:
The reason these suits take place is because it costs next to nothing to file them, there's nothing to lose if you don't win, and it's cheaper for manufacturers to settle than it is to defend themselves. Nuisance suits are rare in Europe, because there if the plaintiff loses they have to pay the defendant's costs, and if the suit is deemed frivolous they can even be made to pay a penalty. I haven't watched European TV, but I suspect that you don't see ambulance chasers trolling for business via TV ads there. Nuisance suit numbers skyrocketed in the US after lawyers were allowed by the Supreme Court to advertise on TV. Perhaps some UK members could tell us if there's any such thing as a contingency barrister.
No more calls, please... We have a winner!

You hit the nail on the head... Make the loser pay, and watch suits like this disappear.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #52
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head... Make the loser pay, and watch suits like this disappear.
It's not a new idea:
http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html/cjr_11.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #53
Thumper333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
But what a great class action. The companies will settle for some ungodly amount, the lawyers will get 33% of it, and the plaintiff class will get a $500 coupon toward their next car purchase from the defendant companies.
I think you mean $50.

While the lawyers get millions and take another Tahiti vacation.

Class action suits are worthless and dreamed up by lawyers.
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack w/Mag Ride | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 11:53 AM   #54
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Bingo. I've actually lived through this myself. I had someone in front of me stop MID-INTERSECTION while making a right turn at a stop sign. I of course pulled up to the sign once she started off so I could see if it was clear for me to proceed (side street onto 45 MPH main road). Needless to say, I bumped her when I pulled out. Mind you I had only moved about 10' feet so speed was negligible. She got out and said she was fine so we started to exchange some info. She had no damage but I caved my bumper cover and busted a headlight and header bar.

About 5 minutes later her husband pulls up and is yelling at her to get back in the car and sit still. Then a cop shows and immediately starts yelling at him to leave. It turns out he's a well-known ambulance chaser. While they were arguing an ambulance shows up (husband-lawyer called for it). The cop actually told the ambulance to leave since they clearly were not needed (the woman kept insisting she was fine).

Long story short, the cop called me later that evening to let me know they turned up at the hospital later that night with complaints of "neck and back pain". He gave me all of his info (including personal info) and begged me to fight the inevitable suit because he was so tired of this guys antics. I was a bit perplexed by this, so I called my insurance carrier to tell them about the conversation. It turns out THEY were familiar with this asshat and already had it escalated for review before he even had a chance to file. In the end, they had a set dollar threshold (internal proprietary figures) that they used to determine whether to settle or fight. He asked for exactly $100 less than their threshold. They attempted an override but ultimately settled.

I'm not a fan of generalizations and broad statements, but most attorneys involved with personal injury law are among the lowest lifeforms walking the earth.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #55
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I'm not a fan of generalizations and broad statements, but most attorneys involved with personal injury law are among the lowest lifeforms walking the earth.
Snakes don't walk, they slither.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 01:23 PM   #56
YaBoyQ
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30

insane
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 12:22 AM   #57
Kowboi
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, 528ix, 540ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowboi View Post
My ASS shuts off when I lock the doors on the keyfob.
That doesn't sound healthy....
No it doesn't, does it. :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #58
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330
http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/26/auto...wsuit0430story

Apparently ASS or its equivalent in other manufacturer's cars have caused 13 deaths so far due to carbon monoxide poisoning in enclosed spaces.

Basically the driver parks into his garage, ASS kicks in and the driver doesn't realize the car is still on. After a while the car wakes up while the user is away, and toxic levels of carbon monoxide build up in the garage.

I know that on this very forum, some people came back to their cars only to find it idling with the doors locked. Luckily for them this was a train station parking lot (if I remember the story well).

What I don't get is why the car doesn't turn itself off when it's locked by a keyfob?
Like the law suits for hot coffee...complete BS.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #59
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
Like the law suits for hot coffee...complete BS.
This smart key lawsuit is BS, but if you watch the documentary "Hot Coffee", you will see that the McDonald's coffee lawsuit was totally mischaracterized in the press.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #60
st3v
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport

A completely different reason I think ASS is deadly is because when enabled, you sometimes don't have the ability to make a quick reaction. Let's say you're at an intersection turning left and the car's engine shuts off due to ASS. Then another car is speeding towards you and you need to press the gas hard to not get hit. The time that the engine needs to turn back on, could be a life or death situation.

Some of those close calls happened to me, so I had the dealer code it off, so ASS is off by default. I also never use ECO PRO mode, which re-enables ASS.

Screw the fuel economy/emissions. Safety is a lot more important. It's a solution to a small problem that brings bigger problems.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #61
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3v View Post
A completely different reason I think ASS is deadly is because when enabled, you sometimes don't have the ability to make a quick reaction. Let's say you're at an intersection turning left and the car's engine shuts off due to ASS. Then another car is speeding towards you and you need to press the gas hard to not get hit. The time that the engine needs to turn back on, could be a life or death situation.

Some of those close calls happened to me, so I had the dealer code it off, so ASS is off by default. I also never use ECO PRO mode, which re-enables ASS.

Screw the fuel economy/emissions. Safety is a lot more important. It's a solution to a small problem that brings bigger problems.
No doubt. When I'm at an intersection like that, I always tug the steering wheel or lift off the gas for a split second if the ASS is enabled.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #62
murrays
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '02 325i, '15 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
This smart key lawsuit is BS, but if you watch the documentary "Hot Coffee", you will see that the McDonald's coffee lawsuit was totally mischaracterized in the press.

The McDonald's coffee lawsuit became the poster child for frivolous lawsuits. A bit of reading reveals it's nothing of the sort.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2015, 10:23 AM   #63
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays View Post
The McDonald's coffee lawsuit became the poster child for frivolous lawsuits. A bit of reading reveals it's nothing of the sort.
You can place that squarely in the lap, if you will, of the media. They chose to report what would grab attention, and left out the detail that not only did McDonalds as a matter of company policy keep their coffee hot enough to burn skin if it was spilled, it would also burn the mouth when you drank it. The facts of the case made it quite clear that McDonalds was at fault, but the media has a long standing track record of not letting facts get in the way of a good story.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #64
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You can place that squarely in the lap, if you will, of the media. They chose to report what would grab attention, and left out the detail that not only did McDonalds as a matter of company policy keep their coffee hot enough to burn skin if it was spilled, it would also burn the mouth when you drank it. The facts of the case made it quite clear that McDonalds was at fault, but the media has a long standing track record of not letting facts get in the way of a good story.
Correct--this woman was not the first one to bring the temp of the coffee to McD's attention. And she only sued after McD's gave her the big FU when she asked for reimbursement only of her out of pocket medical expenses.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2015, 02:22 PM   #65
oceanview
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 335i F31 RWD Autom.

It's almost impossible to die of carbon monoxyde (CO) in a modern gasoline car with a 3-way catalyst system. Because 99,9% CO is turned into CO2.
So lawyers, tell me how it is supposed to work

In fact one would have to sit in a closed garage for days with the running engine on until a dangerous CO level would be reached.
So possibly one would die of too much carbon dioxide (CO2) or low level of oxygen or dehydration or whatever gets you first, but not of CO.

OK, catless folks, sorry for you, but this "safety feature" does not apply for you. Can't have it all.
335i F31 RWD in SB || Powertrain: Active Autowerke Flash Tune Stage 1 | AA Charge Pipe | AA FMIC | GFB DV+ | xHD Trans-Flash | Quaife LSD | Cyba 3.5" Carbon tips || Chassis: 20" 405M | Wiechers Strut Bar | Rear M-Diffusor || Brakes: 18" M-Perf Brake orange 370/345 | EBC YellowStuff pads all around || Various: LED bulbs: Fog-L. front | Turn Signal f&r | Brake L. | Reverse L. | Rear L. | Rear Fog L.
Appreciate 0