F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Insight on tracking a 340i
Studio RSR

09-21-2016, 11:28 AM   #23
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

Ahhh too bad. Let us know if the Pagid fit.

My concern is about the oil temp...I don't know if in europe there is a retrofit for the additional cooler?

Can you tell me if this is this part?

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...ECE/17/17_1011
      09-25-2016, 07:46 PM   #24
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif75 View Post
Ahhh too bad. Let us know if the Pagid fit.

My concern is about the oil temp...I don't know if in europe there is a retrofit for the additional cooler?

Can you tell me if this is this part?

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...ECE/17/17_1011
Padig's fit, good to go for COTA in Nov
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #25
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Hey, what is this blue called? I LOVE IT!!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #26
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Hey, what is this blue called? I LOVE IT!!
mediterranean blue metallic, still need to get some better pics of the car posted (with the square Apex wheel set up), just haven't had time with the kids just starting back to school...
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #27
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTrkJunkie View Post
mediterranean blue metallic, still need to get some better pics of the car posted (with the square Apex wheel set up), just haven't had time with the kids just starting back to school...
Well, I wanna re-paint my car
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2016, 07:27 PM   #28
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

pics finally...

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9#post20632449
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 02:42 AM   #29
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If u track the car you might appreciate the m-LSD.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 10:30 PM   #30
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

AustinTrkJunkie,

I wanted to ask you a questions since you have some experience with both the E90 M car and 340i, in addition to driving an F80. I'm in the same boat as you, not exactly but close. My lease is coming to an end on my 320I and I haven't owned an M3 since the E36, although I have driven all the later M's. I'm torn, I want to go for the F80 next, but it's a bit soulless. I've also considered the 340i and an e90 M. I'm not looking to track, I mainly hit the twisties and DD my cars with light modding. My question to you is, how does the E90 M compare to the 340i and to the f80? Would you change anything about your decision? I really want an e90m, but there is nothing more appealing than a full warranty and maint. plan.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #31
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
AustinTrkJunkie,

I wanted to ask you a questions since you have some experience with both the E90 M car and 340i, in addition to driving an F80. I'm in the same boat as you, not exactly but close. My lease is coming to an end on my 320I and I haven't owned an M3 since the E36, although I have driven all the later M's. I'm torn, I want to go for the F80 next, but it's a bit soulless. I've also considered the 340i and an e90 M. I'm not looking to track, I mainly hit the twisties and DD my cars with light modding. My question to you is, how does the E90 M compare to the 340i and to the f80? Would you change anything about your decision? I really want an e90m, but there is nothing more appealing than a full warranty and maint. plan.
Well, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of the car. I've gone from a dedicated track/race car, to the E90 which was a blast on the track, but wife hated to ride in, now to the 340i which my wife loves but I am still not sure of on the track - will find out next weekend at COTA, finally!

I likely would have kept the E90 had the warranty not been about to expire, and having it make lots of valve/lifter clatter on cold starts accelerated the decision to move out of it. S65's are not cheap to replace, and the noise had gotten worse with the track days I was putting on it.

The pluses of the 340i are it's newness, warranty, ability to be softly sprung thanks to EDC. It's still not a tight as the E90 and I won't push as hard as I would in the M3 in the 340. For comparison, there are a few banked corner off ramps here in Round Rock that I could take at with ease at 110 or so in the M3, anything over about 95-100 in the 340i feels loose, not as planted and just a tad nervous. It's better with the square set up I'm running now than the OE staggered, but the confidence and ability of the M3 were better, period. Even with a 255/275 staggered PSS set up I was running, that car would turn and stick. (I ran 275 square on the track which was even more confidence inspiring)

Given your ask, if you can find a low mile E90 M3 with a warranty, I'd go that route. Don't get me wrong, I like the 340i, but if you're looking for fun, the E90 is more a drivers car.

As to the F80, it's even more uncompromising than the E90 was, Its ride is rougher - even on the softest EDC setting - and gets expensive quickly once you add the must have options and has a lack-luster steering feel compared to the E90. But with the F80 you can liquefy the tires with DSC off with just a bap of throttle, which can be fun If you're looking for a hooligan car, the F80 is a no brainer.

I'm viewing the 340 as a pause while I'm more engaged with my kids, but once they grow bored of dad in their teens (like 4-5 years), I'll likely go back to a dedicated track car and trade the 340i for a tow vehicle - X5M perhaps?

Hope that helps, sorta a rambling reply - lol
Appreciate 1
Labeef265.00
      11-01-2016, 09:11 PM   #32
dsaylors
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i MSport + Track

I am tracking a 2016 328i with the M-Sport and Track package, Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I have run the MSR Cresson 1.7 track (both directions) for a total of 20 sessions and the 3.1 for 10 sessions using factory pads. I had to swap the fronts, the rears have about 50% left. I suspect the power in the 340 would chew up the factory pads quicker, but they are actually pretty decent.
I would love to hear your feedback on the Pagids after COTA. I have a set but am holding off until I get new wheels .
The main issue I have run into on track is lack of negative camber in the car. Wider rubber up front helps somewhat, would be interested in your experience with the square setup as well. I am looking at the Vorshlag camber plates but waiting to find out if the noise issue has been resolved.
Have fun at COTA!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 12:26 AM   #33
Labeef
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320I Sport/Xenon

Quote:
Well, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of the car. I've gone from a dedicated track/race car, to the E90 which was a blast on the track, but wife hated to ride in, now to the 340i which my wife loves but I am still not sure of on the track - will find out next weekend at COTA, finally!

I likely would have kept the E90 had the warranty not been about to expire, and having it make lots of valve/lifter clatter on cold starts accelerated the decision to move out of it. S65's are not cheap to replace, and the noise had gotten worse with the track days I was putting on it.

The pluses of the 340i are it's newness, warranty, ability to be softly sprung thanks to EDC. It's still not a tight as the E90 and I won't push as hard as I would in the M3 in the 340. For comparison, there are a few banked corner off ramps here in Round Rock that I could take at with ease at 110 or so in the M3, anything over about 95-100 in the 340i feels loose, not as planted and just a tad nervous. It's better with the square set up I'm running now than the OE staggered, but the confidence and ability of the M3 were better, period. Even with a 255/275 staggered PSS set up I was running, that car would turn and stick. (I ran 275 square on the track which was even more confidence inspiring)

Given your ask, if you can find a low mile E90 M3 with a warranty, I'd go that route. Don't get me wrong, I like the 340i, but if you're looking for fun, the E90 is more a drivers car.

As to the F80, it's even more uncompromising than the E90 was, Its ride is rougher - even on the softest EDC setting - and gets expensive quickly once you add the must have options and has a lack-luster steering feel compared to the E90. But with the F80 you can liquefy the tires with DSC off with just a bap of throttle, which can be fun If you're looking for a hooligan car, the F80 is a no brainer.

I'm viewing the 340 as a pause while I'm more engaged with my kids, but once they grow bored of dad in their teens (like 4-5 years), I'll likely go back to a dedicated track car and trade the 340i for a tow vehicle - X5M perhaps?

Hope that helps, sorta a rambling reply - lol
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate your insight. You pretty much stated what I was thinking. There is no replacement for M before the 3.

The reason I am so torn is because the e90 and f80 would practically cost me the same amount of money, but with one difference is, I would own one.

I still have some time left in my f30 and will keep my eye out for a clean e90. All else fails, it will be the f80.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #34
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaylors View Post
The main issue I have run into on track is lack of negative camber in the car. Wider rubber up front helps somewhat, would be interested in your experience with the square setup as well. I am looking at the Vorshlag camber plates but waiting to find out if the noise issue has been resolved.
Have fun at COTA!
This is why I'm running MPPS on the track wheels and not NT01's. The lack of camber would eat the crap out of the Nitto's in no time. The 300 tire wear on the PSS' will last a lot longer on track than the 100 tire wear on the 01's, I also plan to rotate them between sessions to equal out the wear.

I don't think I'm going to add camber plates, would need to do CO's to get the most of out them and since I have EDC the cheapest set of plug and play CO's is more than I want to spend. Rather spend that on an LSD, which is going to be my b-day gift to myself
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #35
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labeef View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate your insight. You pretty much stated what I was thinking. There is no replacement for M before the 3.

The reason I am so torn is because the e90 and f80 would practically cost me the same amount of money, but with one difference is, I would own one.

I still have some time left in my f30 and will keep my eye out for a clean e90. All else fails, it will be the f80.
You bet! Had not the S65 started making noises, I likely would have kept the M3. But going to a third party warranty with a possible pre-existing lifter/valve issue was not in the cards, no matter how cool my SA is, the warranty company would likely disavow a claim if they learned it happened on or due to track use.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #36
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
I don't think I'm going to add camber plates, would need to do CO's to get the most of out them and since I have EDC the cheapest set of plug and play CO's is more than I want to spend. Rather spend that on an LSD, which is going to be my b-day gift to myself
Please keep us up to date on all your impressions of the car. I was just discussing the benefits of the LSD with the owner of the local performance shop I've been using for years, but the cost for an LSD for this car is high. What LSD are you going with, M-perf, or aftermarket?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #37
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
Please keep us up to date on all your impressions of the car. I was just discussing the benefits of the LSD with the owner of the local performance shop I've been using for years, but the cost for an LSD for this car is high. What LSD are you going with, M-perf, or aftermarket?
M-Performance, can get it for just over $2K from discount direct - and no taxes. Will be able to take it off and resell before I part with the car, too.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 08:27 PM   #38
Araemo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
M-Performance, can get it for just over $2K from discount direct - and no taxes. Will be able to take it off and resell before I part with the car, too.
I'm curious what installation will cost. I seem to recall the DIY how-tos being kinda ugly.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #39
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Pads installed, love that pin punch and caliper spreader, really sped thing along. Knocked out 4 corners and had all tools put away in 45 minutes!

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:01 PM   #40
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Attended an HPDE event at Thunderhill in Willows CA on 11/7/16. I'm a novice driver and this was my 5th time at TH, with two previous events each in a 2010 Porsche Carrera 6spd and a 2008 E90 335i auto. The 340i was stock except for square 18x8.5 ET35 Apex EC7's with Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec tires. Ambient temps were in the high 60's F, and I was able to get in seven 20min+ sessions for the day. The car performed well with no overheating issues, oil temp held steady at 235F - much different than my 335i, which would climb to 270F+ during a session. The brakes held up well also, but I was mindful of the stock pads and fluid. The suspension felt a little soft with some body roll, but overall I was happy with the grip and handling. Looking forward to some suspension and brake upgrades for next time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #41
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentgbr View Post
Attended an HPDE event at Thunderhill in Willows CA on 11/7/16. I'm a novice driver and this was my 5th time at TH, with two previous events each in a 2010 Porsche Carrera 6spd and a 2008 E90 335i auto. The 340i was stock except for square 18x8.5 ET35 Apex EC7's with Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec tires. Ambient temps were in the high 60's F, and I was able to get in seven 20min+ sessions for the day. The car performed well with no overheating issues, oil temp held steady at 235F - much different than my 335i, which would climb to 270F+ during a session. The brakes held up well also, but I was mindful of the stock pads and fluid. The suspension felt a little soft with some body roll, but overall I was happy with the grip and handling. Looking forward to some suspension and brake upgrades for next time.
Great looking car! Had I custom ordered, would have been the same color!

To your post, and to be clear, I am not saying that what I do - or anyone else for that matter - is right. But can say that a square set up is a no brainer. staggered on track in just wrong(unless you're in a 911).

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Having not seen what this car can do means I expect to have an eye-opening experience (previous in an unknown car have been snap-oversteer or a big push)

I'd prefer the latter to the former, but we'll see!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 03:02 PM   #42
kentgbr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Sedan

Quote:
Great looking car! Had I custom ordered, would have been the same color!

To your post, and to be clear, I am not saying that what I do - or anyone else for that matter - is right. But can say that a square set up is a no brainer. staggered on track in just wrong(unless you're in a 911).

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Having not seen what this car can do means I expect to have an eye-opening experience (previous in an unknown car have been snap-oversteer or a big push)

I'd prefer the latter to the former, but we'll see!!!
Thanks and good luck at the track! Looking forward to your post-event impressions and feedback.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 08:27 PM   #43
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

I will be curious to see what you think of this car on the track. I took mine out once this summer, I had a last minute issue with my M3 so I thought I will take the 335. It has the Mperf bbk and EDC suspension and it was horrible. I didn't have any cooling problems, but I was able to fade the brakes if driving anything over 5/10ths, it understeers horrible and you can't put any power down and it has so much body roll I though it was going to flip over...
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 08:40 PM   #44
AustinTrkJunkie
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry guys, my thoughts on the car after the event are about halfway down page 1 in this thread:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1304852
Appreciate 1
sly1types426.50