F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > iDrive does not persist display of "now playing" of external device after car restart
proTUNING Freaks

02-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #1
BMW_340
(formerly sp330i)
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

iDrive does not persist display of "now playing" of external device after car restart

I don't remember my car exhibiting this behavior before. I suspect it may be due to some coding I changed, but I wanted to seek the infinite wisdom of this forum for advice.

I have an SSD drive connected to my center console USB. If music was playing when I shut it down, it always starts playing again where it left off - expected behavior. However, sometimes iDrive will display the album art in play mode, also expected behavior, but some times the display will show the external device menu instead.

I want to always show the album art of the album playing when I start the car and not have to select the SSD drive again. Has anyone experienced this problem or know of a fix?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #2
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If yours sometimes displays the album art then you are lucky. This is an issue I asked about here, mine never does, was told that it should do once the track changes but it never does unless you press the central wheel to go into/ok the menu option, then the album art shows and changes as the tracks change.

I’ve now just got used to pressing the wheel down as soon as the track starts.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
BMW_340
(formerly sp330i)
United_States
Rep

Not related comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
If yours sometimes displays the album art then you are lucky. This is an issue I asked about here, mine never does, was told that it should do once the track changes but it never does unless you press the central wheel to go into/ok the menu option, then the album art shows and changes as the tracks change.

I’ve now just got used to pressing the wheel down as soon as the track starts.
Thanks but your comment is not related to my inquiry. Have you embedded the artwork in the media file itself. If you do, it should work consistently. I have over 15,000 files/songs in my media library and they all show the album art.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #4
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

mine has started doing this recently as well. I had it in for service about a month ago and they did some updating to the car. maybe the new software does this. not sure. I just hit the idrive wheel once and move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #5
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I thought my issue and yours were the same. So I have a usb stick plugged into the centre console with my music on. All the music on the stick is tagged and all have album art. I always play from the stick, so I’m playing music, randomly as I have that selected, music plays and the album art is shown on the display. I turn off the car and the next day when I get back into the car, it starts playing exactly the same track and point where I left it but now it shows the display that shows my usb stick rather than the artwork. Clicking the idrive wheel, so in effect pressing enter now displays the artwork, music now plays with all artwork until I switch off and get back into the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:29 PM   #6
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
I thought my issue and yours were the same. So I have a usb stick plugged into the centre console with my music on. All the music on the stick is tagged and all have album art. I always play from the stick, so I’m playing music, randomly as I have that selected, music plays and the album art is shown on the display. I turn off the car and the next day when I get back into the car, it starts playing exactly the same track and point where I left it but now it shows the display that shows my usb stick rather than the artwork. Clicking the idrive wheel, so in effect pressing enter now displays the artwork, music now plays with all artwork until I switch off and get back into the car.
This is exactly what my car does. When I restart I am at the external devices menu and I have to select usb to get to the current track playing artwork. The audio portion of the song picks up right where it left off. It didn't used to do this, so that's why I think it may be a function of the software update.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
BMW_340
(formerly sp330i)
United_States
Rep

I stand corrected!

Quote:
I thought you were indicating that your music never shows the artwork, unrelated to my issue, but you described it exactly as I experience. The problem with my situation is that it is not consistent. Sometimes it shows the artwork at startup and sometimes have to press the iDrive button as you indicated. I'll play with my USB coding again and see if I can get it go away. I don't remember it acting like this before I started coding
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #8
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Things I’ve noticed are if you return to car within a short space of time then it displays the album art as I think the car hasn’t been off for long enough and if you press the next/previous buttons then that also seems to spur it into action and displays the album art.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
rphz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435xi

I'm having this issue as well. Ever since I had M Performance brakes installed and coded it's done this.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:48 AM   #10
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

I haven't used the SSD but I wish the idrive screen would return to the previous screen after making or accepting calls.
      03-10-2020, 05:30 PM   #11
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
This is going to sound weird but I updated the content of my USB stick last week, added some songs and updated a playlist and since then when I’ve got back into my car it’s been playing/resuming the song and showing the artwork. No idea why, I’ve updated the content before so can’t explain the change in behaviour.
Appreciate 0