F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Live BMW F30 3 Series Photos - Sport, Modern, and Luxury Line
Extreme Powerhouse

10-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #89
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

I'm going to order mine in december so I should be able to drive end february/march 2012.

335i 6SP, darkgrey/black Sportline and some goodies. And WITHOUT RFTs please!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #90
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
The side badges are ridiculous and frankly a little douchey. I don't want a badge that says luxury on the side. Those will have to be removed.
+1.

I 'd like badges saying'LEFTSIDE' and 'RIGHTSIDE'
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #91
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
Am I the only one who sees a catfish?

Yes, you are... If you wanna see a catfish go over to Audi and their gaping fish mouth front ends...
      10-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #92
USC2000
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
Am I the only one who sees a catfish?

Where?
      10-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #93
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Sad to see BMW following the steps of Mercedes.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #94
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
Interior = Win. Apart from the colour coded strips.

Exterior = Much better than E90. Rear too similar to 5 series though and not a fan of the way the kidney grilles stick out. Also, it looks like they just stretched the headlights for the sake of it because the inner part is actually empty.

The range = I understand having a sport option and luxury option because that's what the C-class has. However, Mercedes have executed it better. The luxury one has the classic MB grille and the sport has grille + bodykit. As far as I can tell BMW have just stuck on some SLIGHTLY different bumpers, badges and little chrome accents. WTF? Also, why a sport model AND M-sport?
Because BMW sees $$$. I've been preaching that BMW has lost it's way and this just further proves it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #95
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
Because BMW sees $$$. I've been preaching that BMW has lost it's way and this just further proves it.
How's that? You know you can't have only one of both lines, right?

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #96
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
How's that? You know you can't have only one of both lines, right?

Best regards,
south
A BMW doesn't needs to be modern, luxurious, in 3 different cars. That's what set BMW apart from everyone else. It was an all in one vehicle. You know you were going to get the best of everything. That's why the M3 is hailed for being such a great car. It takes all of the qualities and makes it one car. BMW has set out to become the next Toyota. This will end up biting them in the end just like it came back to bite Toyota. BMW is cutting corners. Ever since they've become the #1 luxury sales manufacturer, the $ has gone to their heads and they are losing sight of what made a BMW....a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:28 PM   #97
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
A BMW doesn't needs to be modern, luxurious, in 3 different cars. That's what set BMW apart from everyone else. It was an all in one vehicle. You know you were going to get the best of everything. That's why the M3 is hailed for being such a great car. It takes all of the qualities and makes it one car. BMW has set out to become the next Toyota. This will end up biting them in the end just like it came back to bite Toyota. BMW is cutting corners. Ever since they've become the #1 luxury sales manufacturer, the $ has gone to their heads and they are losing sight of what made a BMW....a BMW.
I could not agree with you more old chap. A BMW isn't what it used to be.

Perhaps to the newer generation who haven't driven or experienced a pure BMW, these new cars might appeal due to social status, etc., but to purists, this is the beginning of the end of a wonderful journey.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #98
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
That are design lines, nothing more nothing less. Arguing that BMW has lost it based on these lines which are -- again -- nothing more than a combination of wheel/trim/color design is a bit far-fetched. The F30 has lost some 40kg over the E90 and will without a doubt perform and drive and better than its predecessor. That's what makes a BMW a BMW to me.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #99
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
That are design lines, nothing more nothing less. Arguing that BMW has lost it based on these lines which are -- again -- nothing more than a combination of wheel/trim/color design is a bit far-fetched. The F30 has lost some 40kg over the E90 and will without a doubt perform and drive and better than its predecessor. That's what makes a BMW a BMW to me.

Best regards,
south
A BMW doesn't need design lines. This is just all a gimmick to bring in a wider audience so they sell more. BMW use to make great cars that looked elegant, yet sporty. Shedding 88 pounds is NOTHING. The car weights in excess of 3600 pounds, I would sure hope they could find something to reduce the weight. Like I said, BMW is aiming at becoming the next Toyota. That will hurt them in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #100
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
A BMW doesn't need design lines. This is just all a gimmick to bring in a wider audience so they sell more. BMW use to make great cars that looked elegant, yet sporty. Shedding 88 pounds is NOTHING. The car weights in excess of 3600 pounds, I would sure hope they could find something to reduce the weight. Like I said, BMW is aiming at becoming the next Toyota. That will hurt them in the long run.
I have to agree with southlight on this one. To say that BMW has 'lots its way' based on how the car looks or what color trim it has its a bit off the target IMO. I would only say a BMW lost its mark based on how it drives and if I have fun driving it or not.

The answer to that question will come after this car is released to the public IMO. But coming off the heels of the 1M, I have no doubts at all...

As for BMW becoming Toyota, hows that? Because of volume? I think the debate on that was long over, if BMW doesnt sell more volume it ceases to exist, you didnt forget that quickly what GM, Chrysler and Ford just went through right? In any event, selling more volume doesn't change the car IMO, I think there are good examples of companies keeping their core values intact despite volume or popularity. I'd cite Apple and Google as good examples.
      10-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #101
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I have to agree with southlight on this one. To say that BMW has 'lots its way' based on how the car looks or what color trim it has its a bit off the target IMO. I would only say a BMW lost its mark based on how it drives and if I have fun driving it or not.

The answer to that question will come after this car is released to the public IMO. But coming off the heels of the 1M, I have no doubts at all...

As for BMW becoming Toyota, hows that? Because of volume? I think the debate on that was long over, if BMW doesnt sell more volume it ceases to exist, you didnt forget that quickly what GM, Chrysler and Ford just went through right?
I'm not basing my words on looks. I'm basing my comments off of what BMW is doing. Becoming like every other car manufacturer out there. A BMW use to be special.

Toyota can sell all they want. They are a business, BUT trying to appeal to a wider audience and cutting corners isn't going to get you anywhere. I guess we will have to see what happens but I bet you BMW is heading down the same road GM/Chrysler went down. Heck, Even Toyota with the unintended acceleration. I'm not saying BMW will stop producing great cars, they're just not going to be as special anymore. I will be no different then the dude with a C350 Sport Sedan with AMG Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #102
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
I could not agree with you more old chap. A BMW isn't what it used to be.

Perhaps to the newer generation who haven't driven or experienced a pure BMW, these new cars might appeal due to social status, etc., but to purists, this is the beginning of the end of a wonderful journey.

It was fun while it lasted.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #103
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not basing my words on looks. I'm basing my comments off of what BMW is doing. Becoming like every other car manufacturer out there. A BMW use to be special.

Toyota can sell all they want. They are a business, BUT trying to appeal to a wider audience and cutting corners isn't going to get you anywhere. I guess we will have to see what happens but I bet you BMW is heading down the same road GM/Chrysler went down. Heck, Even Toyota with the unintended acceleration.
Which corners do you speak of exactly? Southlight was at the event and says the car is of higher quality...
      10-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #104
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which corners do you speak of exactly?
Quality, R&D, Design, Expanding the range......

Times are tough, and everyone wants to save cash, I understand that, but if Mercedes can stuff a Naturally aspirated V8 under the hood of the SLK 55...I don't see why BMW can't do the same with say the next generation M3. Of course, this is all one mans opinion. I'm sure some here with disagree. What do you get when you take the sun out of a sunny day? That's what BMW has done. Take away the soul of everything BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #105
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quality, R&D, Design, Expanding the range......

Times are tough, and everyone wants to save cash, I understand that, but if Mercedes can stuff a Naturally aspirated V8 under the hood of the SLK 55...I don't see why BMW can't do the same with say the next generation M3.
Im assuming you've not actually been inside of the F01 7-Series or the F10 5-Series. To say quality is down, your alone on that one...
If you think the F10 5-Series is a lesser design than the E60 5-Series or the E89 Z4 is a lesser design then the E85 Z4, well thats just your opinion, and again, not something I'd base the quality of a BMW on.
      10-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #106
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im assuming you've not actually been inside of the F01 7-Series or the F10 5-Series. To say quality is down, your alone on that one...
I actually have. Quality has certainly improved significantly over the e60, but still left me wanting more. The plastics that were used for the volume and adjusting the temp settings just didn't feel quality. The buttons felt like they were going to come off. Though, the 5er is also just shows more of how BMW has lost it's way. Finishing every comparison test 3/3 because the aggressive feel and sportiness is gone. Thanks to the poorly thought out electric steering. The new Audi A6 has electric steering...but doesn't make me want to fall asleep at the wheel. The E60 even thought it was hideous did better then that. Remember the days when a BMW actually stood for something? When someone said BMW, you thought, Sporty..aggressive...in your face?

Now mention a BMW to someone and you'll get, You mean that luxo boat? Yeah, it makes a great cruiser. Like I said, I don't doubt BMW will continue to produce GREAT automobiles. They've just lost what made them standout...special....fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #107
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
I feel they should have included the kidney grills in the hood to get rid of that unsightly line.

Crude photoshop

Agree with this. However, I assume that the new design is there to enable the car to obtain decent "pedestrian impact" ratings (there's a lot of emphasis on this in Euroland).
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:56 PM   #108
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

It looks good, but the proportions are all wrong. The wheelbase is too long for a car with that short a front end. It looks like a Z4 merged with a 5 series and then shortened a bit for good measure. It reminds me of a picture that has been stretched or had its dimensions altered too much.

Then again, I should have expected this, as BMWs have become larger and fatter with each generation. Like a spouse who won't quit eating unhealthy food. I personally have to draw the line, and have to say I certainly won't be in a 3-series for the next generation, which means I probably won't be in a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #109
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:

As for BMW becoming Toyota, hows that? Because of volume? I think the debate on that was long over, if BMW doesnt sell more volume it ceases to exist, you didnt forget that quickly what GM, Chrysler and Ford just went through right? In any event, selling more volume doesn't change the car IMO, I think there are good examples of companies keeping their core values intact despite volume or popularity. I'd cite Apple and Google as good examples.
Perhaps HotIce and I are the minority here. While I do not completely disagree with what you say, I must say I agree with HotIce more. We own BMWs like most everyone here.

Why did we buy one? Why did I buy one? I grew up around these cars. I was passionate about them since I was 5. My father's 7 series cars and my mother's 5/7 series cars over the years. When I was old enough to afford one of these cars, and I first set eyes on the E46 M3, it exuded passion, elegance, luxury, sportiness and the spirit of BMW. It would inspire you and make you smile and it would excite you to just look at it. So elegant, so well executed. No fuss and no pretensions. I had the same feeling when I first saw the E92 (the 2006 E90 did not excite much). Simple, elegant lines and pure BMW characteristics. I did not need to tell myself I am driving a sporty car, or a luxury car or a modern car. I did not need a badge on the side of the car or a BMW salesman to tell me that either. I felt it from the moment I saw it. And I felt it when I drove it. There was passion in engineering and design.

When I see this new 3 (and the new 1 series, the X1/X3 and the i3), it does nothing to me. No excitement, nothing inspires. They seem to be trying too hard and everything looks like an afterthought. It shows in the design. A Jaguar CX16 brings the passion back. I sigh and shake my head in somewhat disbelief and feel defeated. At the end of the day they need to sell more cars but to do it in this manner is unfortunate.

Sorry for my rant. I guess I am too passionate about design and engineering. Something that they need to get back.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 01:01 PM   #110
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Perhaps HotIce and I are the minority here. While I do not completely disagree with what you say, I must say I agree with HotIce more. We own BMWs like most everyone here.

Why did we buy one? Why did I buy one? I grew up around these cars. I was passionate about them since I was 5. My father's 7 series cars and my mother's 5/7 series cars over the years. When I was old enough to afford one of these cars, and I first set eyes on the E46 M3, it exuded passion, elegance, luxury, sportiness and the spirit of BMW. It would inspire you and make you smile and it would excite you to just look at it. So elegant, so well executed. No fuss and no pretensions. I had the same feeling when I first saw the E92 (the 2006 E90 did not excite much). Simple, elegant lines and pure BMW characteristics. I did not need to tell myself I am driving a sporty car, or a luxury car or a modern car. I did not need a badge on the side of the car or a BMW salesman to tell me that either. I felt it from the moment I saw it. And I felt it when I drove it. There was passion in engineering and design.

When I see this new 3 (and the new 1 series, the X1/X3 and the i3), it does nothing to me. No excitement, nothing inspires. They seem to be trying too hard and everything looks like an afterthought. It shows in the design. A Jaguar CX16 brings the passion back. I sigh and shake my head in somewhat disbelief and feel defeated. At the end of the day they need to sell more cars but to do it in this manner is unfortunate.

Sorry for my rant. I guess I am too passionate about design and engineering. Something that they need to get back.
I don't think anything else needs to be said.
Appreciate 0