F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Leasing
ARMA SPEED

08-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #23
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Thats the bit I struggle with - not picking a car but getting a cheap lease. I dont mind compromising a bit on colour or a few options to take a stock car (I dont actually like waiting for factory order!) but I do want to pick the car and get what I want...
Agreed, don't see the point in getting a great deal on a car I don't like or want. Fine if you're trying to get a car for £120 a month just to have a form of transport, but for anything else it seems idiotic.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #24
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Agreed, don't see the point in getting a great deal on a car I don't like or want. Fine if you're trying to get a car for £120 a month just to have a form of transport, but for anything else it seems idiotic.
I started at PCP deals for the car I wanted and compared that to the lease deals available.

On both GLC's and X1 the PCP option was more expensive even with the same options ticked. I even popped in to Chandlers BMW and spoke to a sales guy; once I told him the monthlies and deposit(1 month) he just walked away.

If you have time, you'll be able to get a deal that works. You will find pre-reg cars with options, but you won't have to pay the full amount as you would on a factory order lease, as these have been discounted at that spec. Speak to a couple of people and let them know what you are after and they will let you know if anything comes up.

Always worth remembering that TAX is included in most leases.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #25
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Mercs lend themselves well to leasing now as options come as packs and trim rather than individual picks.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #26
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Never done a PCP but I do lease. With a PCP the GMFV can be set low, so any risk goes to the owner. With a lease your costs are known from day 1. The downside is it isn't your car at all. You don't even see the V5. If you see that as a problem then it's probably not for you. However, prices for personal lease can be kept down as the lease company owns the car, and as well as fleet discounts bigger than drivethedeal.com, they don't pay the VAT on the purchase of the car so only pass the lease VAT onto the driver.

NEVA were faultless, as were carleasing-online.co.uk. I had so many problems with Select Car Leasing that I wondered about their truspilot score until they attempted to ban me from reviewing them. Says it all really, but the car was 4 months late and only arrived when I tried to pull out of the deal and take them to court. When I did manage to speak to someone they peddled every excuse going. My previous lease company were Audi Finance and despite me not getting another Audi they let me keep the car beyond the end of contract for the same monthlies.

It is now a legal requirement to be able to buy your lease car but the asking price doesn't always make it work out.

Getting out of contracts isn't impossible. Usually they ask 50% of the remaining rental, and if a personal lease it's less the VAT so a £400 inc VAT per month lease will cost £160 per outstanding month to escape. Probably very comparable to chopping in a PCP before VT time.

You lot look after your cars well so this bit won't apply but I found the return procedure very fair and prices for any damage always cheaper than paying for the repair myself. e.g £30-50 for an overly scuffed wheel. Any scuff under 100mm was ignored.

Pistonheads is really good but ringing round can get you a good deal and many are willing to price-match. I get a feel for prices at leasing.com.

Totally agree about price vs the right car but sometimes the stock offer is so good I can forego the folding mirrors or HUD to save upwards of £150 a month if you snatch a good offer. Everything has its price I suppose
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:17 PM   #27
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDriver View Post
Never done a PCP but I do lease. With a PCP the GMFV can be set low, so any risk goes to the owner. With a lease your costs are known from day 1. The downside is it isn't your car at all. You don't even see the V5. If you see that as a problem then it's probably not for you. However, prices for personal lease can be kept down as the lease company owns the car, and as well as fleet discounts bigger than drivethedeal.com, they don't pay the VAT on the purchase of the car so only pass the lease VAT onto the driver.

NEVA were faultless, as were carleasing-online.co.uk. I had so many problems with Select Car Leasing that I wondered about their truspilot score until they attempted to ban me from reviewing them. Says it all really, but the car was 4 months late and only arrived when I tried to pull out of the deal and take them to court. When I did manage to speak to someone they peddled every excuse going. My previous lease company were Audi Finance and despite me not getting another Audi they let me keep the car beyond the end of contract for the same monthlies.

It is now a legal requirement to be able to buy your lease car but the asking price doesn't always make it work out.

Getting out of contracts isn't impossible. Usually they ask 50% of the remaining rental, and if a personal lease it's less the VAT so a £400 inc VAT per month lease will cost £160 per outstanding month to escape. Probably very comparable to chopping in a PCP before VT time.

You lot look after your cars well so this bit won't apply but I found the return procedure very fair and prices for any damage always cheaper than paying for the repair myself. e.g £30-50 for an overly scuffed wheel. Any scuff under 100mm was ignored.

Pistonheads is really good but ringing round can get you a good deal and many are willing to price-match. I get a feel for prices at leasing.com.

Totally agree about price vs the right car but sometimes the stock offer is so good I can forego the folding mirrors or HUD to save upwards of £150 a month if you snatch a good offer. Everything has its price I suppose
Don't understand the point on final value risk. All that matters is which is cheapest per month. You can hand both back at the end for nothing.

I've always compared pcp to lease when buying, but only prices on leasing.com

At low miles lease generally seemed to win, and at high miles, 25,000 a year that I've always needed, pcp was always cheaper. So I've always had a pcp up to now.

My mileage has gone down a little to 20,000 and there seem to be better higher mileage lease offers around this year, so it's got me looking at leasing right now.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #28
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Quote:
Don't understand the point on final value risk. All that matters is which is cheapest per month. You can hand both back at the end for nothing.

I've always compared pcp to lease when buying, but only prices on leasing.com

At low miles lease generally seemed to win, and at high miles, 25,000 a year that I've always needed, pcp was always cheaper. So I've always had a pcp up to now.

My mileage has gone down a little to 20,000 and there seem to be better higher mileage lease offers around this year, so it's got me looking at leasing right now.
Every time I've looked at a PCP the GMFV has been set low and the stealer has always said it'll be worth more than that. I did my maths on the stated GMFV and thereforefound lease to be better (I mean cheaper). Also deposits are generally lower on a lease as with PCP the deposit and your GMFV are always very similar!!

Yes I agree high miles can hit lease costs. I do 10-15k a year so not an issue for me. Extra miles on a BMW were much higher than on an Audi or VW. Can't remember what Merc wanted.

Just reading the S4 MY17 thread and another downside of lease is that it must be serviced at a main stealer. I do find it odd on this forum tht we all complain about the general incompetence of main stealers then demad FBMWSH on a used car
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #29
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Every time I've looked at a PCP the GMFV has been set low and the stealer has always said it'll be worth more than that. I did my maths on the stated GMFV and thereforefound lease to be better (I mean cheaper). Also deposits are generally lower on a lease as with PCP the deposit and your GMFV are always very similar!!

Yes I agree high miles can hit lease costs. I do 10-15k a year so not an issue for me. Extra miles on a BMW were much higher than on an Audi or VW. Can't remember what Merc wanted.

Just reading the S4 MY17 thread and another downside of lease is that it must be serviced at a main stealer. I do find it odd on this forum tht we all complain about the general incompetence of main stealers then demad FBMWSH on a used car
That's not always the case with pcp's, manufacturers often support the GFV and make it artificially high to bring down the monthly costs. They regularly do it for cars that aren't hitting the sales numbers that they should.

Let's be honest, a lease company basically takes out a pcp with the manufacturer and then leases it to you. Or they buy them outright, but the principle is the same. They give it a final value and work out the finance just the same. They just get better discount.

Don't know what you mean about deposits either, you can put whatever deposit you choose to into a pcp, there is no minimum. My last 2 I chose to put in zero. Even my 440i, which was a factory order was zero in the pcp. I put £500 down to secure the build, and then got it back when I collected and completed the finance agreement.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #30
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

One of the main reasons leases tend to be cheaper which will come as no surprise is the discounts the lease companies get, I think people would be shocked with just how much they get off though.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:15 AM   #31
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:

Speaking to the lease companies I was dealing with, and this may be different from "M" or "S" cars etc, but you don't have to use a main dealer for servicing, just OEM parts and the garage must be VAT registered.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:18 AM   #32
F20MAW73
440i Gran Coupe, Auto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Here are a few photos of my Mrs new Tiguan R Line Tech DSG freshly detailed. This is the first car I have leased and I would do it again if the prices are good.

The price on this has gone up now. It was £268.00 PCM with 2.4k from memory when I ordered it around April time on a personal lease. It still a great value SUV in my opinion and there the R Line Tech comes with virtually every single option.

https://www.selectcarleasing.co.uk/c...modelyear=2020
Attached Images

01-09-2020, 08:44 AM   #33
thatcarguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi

Online + form relationships with agents

The easiest way to get a solid lease deal (or a few offers really), is to be organized about the whole thing.

- Search for 'PCH lease' or 'PCP lease' online.
- Make a list of companies.
- Look at all the cars you might be interested in.
- Make a list.
- Enquire and make sure you only get 1 or 2 agents on your file, tell them you like a close relationship. They will be happy to oblige because of commission.
- Tell them what you're looking for and what they might recommend that is similar to this.
- Mark these down in your list.

Give it about a month and after a while the offers will come flooding in.

Leasing brokers are always chopping and changing and have deals all the time, sometimes that are gone within the space of a day or two on great brands.

It's a bit of a long game, and should be played like one!
Appreciate 1
OneExtra810.50