F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit
Studio RSR

08-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #45
BMWDIYer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 2014 640i XDrive

Hugrov, thank you for taking the time to post information and pics. I will attempt the same thing on an F06, 2014 640i GC. My car doesn't have the lane assist nor the heated steering wheel. I am getting my steering wheel customized and the company doing the work is able to install the heating element from another BMW steering wheel. I believe it's off of a 3 series that looks the same. Would you mind passing me the info of the guy you mentioned that can do the coding remotely. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:26 AM   #46
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

I have a heated wheel but I find the leather becomes moist when grasped firmly.
      08-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #47
owtbar
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Hi
Really interested in this , i have LDW which vibrates the steering wheel , could anyone tell me if my steering wheel is heated and just needs the switch connecting and coding .
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 02:03 AM   #48
Jamjar87
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

If anyone wants any of the retrofit parts let me know. I fitted the non heated alcanatara wheel in place of the heated wheel so have all the parts to retrofit.
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      08-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #49
owtbar
Private
Rep

Hi
How much for the switch with all cabling and the under part off the steering column?
Are these new ?
Also do these just need coding ? Already have Lane warning with vibration on the wheel.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #50
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Nice! I did the opposite, I have the heated steering wheel and when I took the trim off I realised the LDW vibrator was already there so I coded LDW!
Seeing as we are on a thread bump , How would i go about doing this?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #51
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Nice! I did the opposite, I have the heated steering wheel and when I took the trim off I realised the LDW vibrator was already there so I coded LDW!
Seeing as we are on a thread bump , How would i go about doing this?

Thanks
Tells you here:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=17077954
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #52
owtbar
Private
Rep

Hi
Please could anyone tell me if the whole steering column lower trim panel is needed as my one has the the place were the switch fits is just blanked off ?
And also could anyone recommend someone to code in the chesterfield or surrounding area and what sort of price to have it coded.
Thanks
Edit:
I have just rung BMW to get a price for the lower panel and the switch (£108.43) and just about to purchase but after speaking to the guy in the parts department , he told me i wouldn't have the heated steering wheel ? even though i have LDW and would need a new steering wheel with all the bits and would cost a fortune. He also told me that the switch will not come with wires ?
Is there any way i could find out for definite if or if not i will have the heated wheel already ?
Thanks for any advice ..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 01:20 PM   #53
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtbar View Post
Hi
Please could anyone tell me if the whole steering column lower trim panel is needed as my one has the the place were the switch fits is just blanked off ?
And also could anyone recommend someone to code in the chesterfield or surrounding area and what sort of price to have it coded.
Thanks
Edit:
I have just rung BMW to get a price for the lower panel and the switch (£108.43) and just about to purchase but after speaking to the guy in the parts department , he told me i wouldn't have the heated steering wheel ? even though i have LDW and would need a new steering wheel with all the bits and would cost a fortune. He also told me that the switch will not come with wires ?
Is there any way i could find out for definite if or if not i will have the heated wheel already ?
Thanks for any advice ..
As far as I know, the lower panel needs to be replaced, my original panel had what looked like a blank but it was all moulding, there was no blank plate or anything that could be removed.

The switch comes with wiring attached, the wiring itself is only approx 4" long and plugs into a plate roughly below the indicator stalk, this can only be seen once you remove the lower steering column panel (after removing the upper one first). The connector plug on the end of the switch wiring simply plugs straight into the empty slot on the back of the plate.

The only way you can tell if you already have a heated steering wheel is to remove the airbag and the steering wheel front trim, you'll see straight away if you see the wiring going to the steering wheel rim. I would take what you're told by the dealership parts guy with a pinch of salt to be honest, I've found the majority of people I've dealt at dealerships to be pretty clueless when it comes to the products they're selling/supplying.

I used Craig at BR Diagnostics and Retrofits (who coded it remotely) but I've not found him online when I looked last week, I believe there's a company in Doncaster called DDS BMW Coding who may be able to help you and they're not that far from Chesterfield.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 05:13 AM   #54
owtbar
Private
Rep

Hi
Thank you for the info.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:55 PM   #55
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
Quote:
Hi

Thanks for any advice ..
The switch will come with wires, buying the switch seems to be the only way you can get those wires. If you have LDW then you should have the heating wire in the wheel already.

You could just cut a hole in the lower panel and put the switch in there, but the correct panel sets the switch in a bit, without that extra clearance you could find it difficult to get to the switch because the column adjuster is in the way. Or, if you're comfortable extending the wires, then you could put the switch anywhere you want, somewhere you could see it on the dash perhaps, or on the centre console to the left of the gearstick. The existing position is hard to see, can be hard to find, seems like an afterthought that wasn't properly thought through.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #56
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
To code the heated steering wheel all you need is

FEM_BODY
3140 PFLinSteeringWheel
CODDT_BYTE_00_SZL_LIN = LHZ_aktiv
LIN_VARIANTE_LRE = lre_tlc_lhz
LIN_VARIANTE_SZL = szl_4Band
LRE_Verbaut = aktiv

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...146335&page=10

That's all I did for mine and it works perfectly
Appreciate 2
peco6.00
DLag30103.50
      08-20-2019, 06:00 PM   #57
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
I have a heated wheel but I find the leather becomes moist when grasped firmly.
I think that might be a fault with your hands not the wheel, some hands aren't compatible with heated wheels
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      08-22-2019, 07:15 AM   #58
hazeasinmist
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 430d GC

New person here, please excuse me if this has been asked outright before:

Is there any garage/company who will carry out the entire heated steering wheel retrofit?

I have a 430d GC with M Sport steering wheel. I also believe that most or all of these steering wheels have the heating elements already fitted and just need the switch/wiring fitting and then the recoding.

I dont have the confidence to take my steering wheel and airbag apart to check if I have the heating elements fitted - Has anyone had this carried out?

Cheers
H
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:27 AM   #59
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeasinmist View Post

I have a 430d GC with M Sport steering wheel. I also believe that most or all of these steering wheels have the heating elements already fitted and just need the switch/wiring fitting and then the recoding.
Its only the M Sport wheels with the driver assist vibrator that have the heating element, most wheels don't have it. If you have a new heated wheel fitted its likely to cost close to £1,000, depending on where you go.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #60
owtbar
Private
Rep

HI
I have managed to purchase and fit the switch and bottom section of the steering panel .
I wondered if anyone could advise me on the coding part ? how much should i be paying ? what is remote coding ? I believe i have the software and cable but not sure if confident enough to try it .
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #61
Hugrov
Captain
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI

Quote:
HI
I have managed to purchase and fit the switch and bottom section of the steering panel .
I wondered if anyone could advise me on the coding part ? how much should i be paying ? what is remote coding ? I believe i have the software and cable but not sure if confident enough to try it .
Thanks
You'll probably pay around £50 to get the car coded once you've fitted all the necessary parts. Remote coding is where somebody remotely accesses your laptop (which needs to be connected to the internet/WiFi), the laptop will be connected to the cars OBD port via a OBD ENET cable. You'll need to download a couple of pieces of software (Team viewer etc) for a remote coding session to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #62
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
HI
Thanks
Where are you based? There may be someone nearby that could code it for you.

I feel uncomfortable about the remote coding approach, you have to install software that gives the remote party full access to your PC. Exactly the same stuff that scammers try to install when you get one of those calls 'from Microsoft Technical Department'.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 05:58 AM   #63
owtbar
Private
Rep

Hi
I am from Chesterfield , Derbyshire .
What exact software do in need please? I'm note sure if i have most of it but want to make sure that i have the correct software . I would like to learn how to use it just out of interest .
Thanks for any help
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #64
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
The easiest to use is Bimmercode on your phone, with a suitable Bluetooth OBCDII connector, budget £50-£100 for the hardware, £30 for Bimmercode, and you're there.

That works great for a 'casual' coder. If you want to add new options to your car, and expect to do major amounts of coding, then E-Sys software on a laptop with a £10 cable will give you something much more powerful, but expect to spend at least a full day installing the software and learning the basics of how to use it.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:56 AM   #65
calumblack
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22

Does anyone know if there’s a way to code the steering wheel to get warmer like you can for the seats? I’ve just done this retrofit but the wheel isn’t particularly warm. Warmest bit is up at 12 o clock but still not anything like my friends X3!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #66
owtbar
Private
Rep

Hi
Thanks for everyone's help . Managed to fit and get coded and now have a fully functioning heated steering wheel
BMWMAN in Heanor Derdyshire .Top Man also coded other stuff at the same time.
Appreciate 0