F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple CarPlay subscription
proTUNING Freaks

08-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Apple CarPlay subscription

Right now, I have a year of free Apple CarPlay subscription but I'm wondering if it's worth getting the $300 long term subscription? Why would you need CarPlay when you already have navigation? You can play your music through Bluetooth or USB connected drive and you can send navigation address from your phone to connected drive.

Although I appreciate wireless CarPlay, will BMW have a USB connected CarPlay in the future? (like everyone else)

When will iOS 13 be released?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 11:57 PM   #2
yjypm
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
Right now, I have a year of free Apple CarPlay subscription but I'm wondering if it's worth getting the $300 long term subscription? Why would you need CarPlay when you already have navigation? You can play your music through Bluetooth or USB connected drive and you can send navigation address from your phone to connected drive.

Although I appreciate wireless CarPlay, will BMW have a USB connected CarPlay in the future? (like everyone else)

When will iOS 13 be released?
1. Bmw navigation is good but google and Waze are way better.
2. They will probably do in idrive7 with an update or 8, along with split screen/full screen switch, but don't expect we will get the update.
3. iOS 13 will be available in September or October when they launch the new iPhone according to what Apple usually do.

Instagram:catpupu_f80
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:37 AM   #3
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Having carplay in my truck is fine on longer trips. It is nice to be able to put google maps on the huge screen I have, integrate with my music, and toggle through my music, maps, etc on the big touchscreen. The one in my truck is much larger and better positioned than BMW setups. At the same time, it is not really a huge game-changer. Nice enough having it as part of the system on longer trips. It is not something I often use in day to day driving. I also would not pay for it. Streaming is still the easiest. I do not plug my phone in on shorter trips or day to day driving. The truck also has a dual phone or tablet holder. In the BMW, it stays in my pocket, unless I want to use google maps, then it goes in the cup holder. I had a sweet proclip in my GTI, but no such console mount for the F30.

Edit: on my truck and GTI it was wired carplay only.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

Carplay just stopped working. Then I realized the free year was over. I have gotten so used to it, I extended it for a year (waiting for the i4). If you don't use it, don't spent money on it, on the other hand carplay may help with the value of the car.
      08-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #5
justa3bmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

We can activate carplay . Contact us if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Pure Driven
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa3bmw View Post
We can activate carplay . Contact us if you are interested.
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0