F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive has it's own mind
Extreme Powerhouse

08-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #1
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Exclamation iDrive has it's own mind

Hey guys,
Was wondering if i can get some information/help from you, since my local BMW dealer cannot help with the problem.

So, during really hot days when the car stays in the sun, sometimes it's like someone is playing with iDrive button, going randomly through the menu, selecting things and so on. Once i saw a pattern that it only went 1-2 positions left, then press "enter", then left again then enter and so on.
Local dealer says there are no errors on the diagnose program, so that makes me think that the problem is hardware, some contacts or something in the iDrive unit when it gets hot, but i don't know how to probe it or what to do to narrow and identify the issues.
In the almost 2 years i have had the car it has only done this 4-5 times, but it's really annoying.
Any ideas?
le: The car in question is a F36 440xi LCI from 2017
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Have you checked to make sure there are no firmware updates available?

I was having issues, loaded updated firm/software from BMW site via USB and issues disappeared entirely. I would try this before purchasing a new screen.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3n0mal4 View Post
Hey guys,
Was wondering if i can get some information/help from you, since my local BMW dealer cannot help with the problem.

So, during really hot days when the car stays in the sun, sometimes it's like someone is playing with iDrive button, going randomly through the menu, selecting things and so on. Once i saw a pattern that it only went 1-2 positions left, then press "enter", then left again then enter and so on.
Local dealer says there are no errors on the diagnose program, so that makes me think that the problem is hardware, some contacts or something in the iDrive unit when it gets hot, but i don't know how to probe it or what to do to narrow and identify the issues.
In the almost 2 years i have had the car it has only done this 4-5 times, but it's really annoying.
Any ideas?
When did you spill liquid on your idrive controller?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
z3n0mal4
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Have you checked to make sure there are no firmware updates available?

I was having issues, loaded updated firm/software from BMW site via USB and issues disappeared entirely. I would try this before purchasing a new screen.
Well i got an update from BMW site, but once i plug and try to update the car it says that's incompatible with my model ?! Weird. I've done the right steps i guess. I currently have TB-006.027.001 both Telephone and Media versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
When did you spill liquid on your idrive controller?
Didn't happen. Do you believe to be the iDrive controller? Because that's what i think it's too, some contact there or something. Not the touch screen.

Last edited by z3n0mal4; 08-10-2019 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The software you download from the BMW site is likely not going to do anything because it just updates the multimedia/telephone side of iDrive and not any core function. There is only two things that need to be done to fix the issue - either there is something acting up with the iDrive controller or it's an i Level issue that needs to be updated.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3n0mal4 View Post
Hey guys,

Any ideas?
The iDrive unit in my 2017 F36 440i GC also exhibits an intermittent problem which the dealer cannot diagnose: no codes stored. I called BMW NA and opened a case. The dealer kept the car for one week and could not find the root cause. The car is still under warranty. How does one advance the resolution process when the answer continues to be "cannot find the root cause"?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #7
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
You could take some trim tool with you and unplug the idrive when it happens again. So you eliminate any other components. If you can be sure that it is indeed the controler you could maniupulate it so it stops working all together. I guess the car is still under warranty? I had mine replaced recently since the joystik funktion was moving very hard and with noises.
My dealer told me there were issues with the idrive with loose connections from the base electronics to the touch and wheel.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=71195

Last edited by BWbimmer; 08-16-2019 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0