F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Buying a used 340i xDrive
proTUNING Freaks

01-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
jdl_131
Rep
Drives: Looking for 335i

Buying a used 340i xDrive

I am considering purchasing a 2016 340i xDrive and would appreciate any input you may be able to give on the price and also any items you can recommend I check specifically.

Build Sheet. This does not have the M package.

2016 340i xDrive with 61,000 miles. Auto transmission. $24,000

I will have the vehicle inspected by a BMW dealer prior to final purchase but if there are any "gotchas" that I can look for before paying for the inspection I would appreciate the heads up.

I have test driven the vehicle and it seems to be in good shape. It has new Continental PureContact LS tires and was aligned.

Issues I have found:
-The right front brake rotor is scored pretty deeply and I believe should be replaced. Can anyone provide a parts estimate on this for good brakes? I have replaced brakes before, anything special on these that would make it a shop repair?
-It has a penny size ding in the rear bumper that I do not believe can be repaired.
-Several light scratches/scuffs on the passenger side that I believe could be reasonably buffed out. Nit picking here.

The car is for sale at a local non-BMW dealership and they offer 1/2 price oil changes with the purchase...would you have your oil changed at a non-BMW dealer? Not sure what the value is on this.

Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I'm not current on used prices but this seems too high for the year and miles to me. Also the condition is seems kinda if but then I haven't seen the vehicle. I have no problem buying from a non-bmw dealer as long as the car is clean. I wouldn't think they would use good oil for the changes either.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Did you have a chance to ask for a full maintenance history (the vehicle being sold at a non BMW dealer duly noted)?

If the full maintenance history is not available, even the inspection performed by the dealer may not highlight all potential issues.

First series of thoughts:

- Was the car involved in any accident?
- The scoring on the right front brake rotor is a concern, especially if the left front brake rotor does not show the same wear and tear. Brakes rarely exhibit substantially uneven wear and tear, unless for unknown reasons excessive right brake caliper pressure caused the pad to be exerted against the rotor with much greater force. Again - this is very rare. Ask the dealer to pull all stored fault codes
- The battery is most likely ready to be replaced
- Wheel alignment should be checked but it's a good investment. Suspension components requiring replacement would be identified
- Oil analysis is not expensive. Highly recommend to do it before purchasing
- Good indy shop or dealer can identify if DME was flashed with a tune. You might be buying a car which has been tuned and driven aggressively, effectively transferring future repair expenses to you. Piggyback tunes are more difficult to identify but still possible

Oil change costs about $100 with BMW coupon sent frequently. I wouldn't place much value on bargain priced oil change to accelerate the purchase decision.

My humble perspective: without a full maintenance history, I would not recommend buying it. Many forum members sell their cars with exceptional maintenance records. This forum is a great place to start shopping for a used BMW.

Any other questions? Just ask.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:15 AM   #4
James18675
Rep
Drives: 2012 camry

Garage List
2018 bmw 340i  [0.00]
I also agree, I am still looking for a 340i myself have passed up on too many to count that seem to be problematic, and from what I am hearing this may be as well with the breaks. I would personally pass where is the car being sold from?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:16 AM   #5
James18675
Rep
Drives: 2012 camry

Garage List
2018 bmw 340i  [0.00]
is it from another dealer ship or a used car stealership
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
jdl_131
Rep

Thank you guys for the input. I haven't made a decision on this one yet but if the dealer decides to work with me on the price then I am still interested.

The car is for sale at a large local dealership for Kia/Subaru/GMC vehicles and was a trade in from a salesman at the dealership. I could have the opportunity to talk with him prior to purchasing but I do not think he has detailed service records. Carfax does show regular maintenance at two different BMW dealerships including the local BMW dealer that I would have complete the pre-purchase inspection.

While waiting on this one I have looked more into the 5 series and I like the additional tech features that it seems to offer and the extra legroom in the backseat could be nice for my kids.

Not sure what I may end up with just yet but I sincerely appreciate the advice you've given!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 07:49 AM   #7
jdl_131
Rep

Unfortunately it seems like this one wasn't meant to buy. For multiple reasons, it seems this dealership was on interested in working the customer instead of helping the customer. Sad that 1/4 mile of my home town is dedicated to this business which if they continue down this path will undoubtedly become another empty lot...or a Carmax!

I'm still shopping and I appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #8
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

I got a 2016 340i, m sport, track pack, fully loaded. 30K miles. CPO from BMW for $28.4K

A year ago... if this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #9
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post
I got a 2016 340i, m sport, track pack, fully loaded. 30K miles. CPO from BMW for $28.4K

Lmk if you're looking to sell haha👀
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:43 AM   #10
AllaVodka
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllaVodka View Post

Lmk if you're looking to sell haha👀
Who knows, could be. I'll holler if thats the case.
Appreciate 0