F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 vs Active 8 - Looking for Experienced Feedback
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #23
pgadv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 xDrive M Sport MPPSK

Thanks Boosted. So any issues with the dealer when servicing?
If you remove it for servicing, is it still detectable? Some have stated the extra boost is still detectable in the diagnostics?

Curious if anyone can speak to level of power, etc. with 91 octane?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #24
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgadv View Post
If you remove it for servicing, is it still detectable? Some have stated the extra boost is still detectable in the diagnostics?

so this will be the last little bit of advice I'll give you on piggybacks and 91 :-) - then I'll step aside and let others volunteer their 2-cents

When it comes to piggybacks and 91 - don't focus on power alone but rather driveability and power delivery - again speaking from experience with an AA box and also the JB+ .....while both delivered more power according to my butt dyno it was at the expense of linear power delivery and driveability.

Not sure if either of the boxes you are looking at comes with a satisfaction etc guarantee - if yes - buy one plug it in and see what you think

Good luck on your power quest

Last edited by chenry; 11-05-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 05:42 PM   #25
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
so this will be the last little bit of advice I'll give you on piggybacks and 91 :-) - then I'll step aside and let others volunteer their 2-cents

When it comes to piggybacks and 91 - don't focus on power alone but rather driveability and power delivery - again speaking from experience with an AA box and also the JB+ .....while both delivered more power according to my butt dyno it was at the expense of linear power delivery and driveability.

Not sure if either of the boxes you are looking at comes with a satisfaction etc guarantee - if yes - buy one plug it in and see what you think

howdy chenry,

what tune are you currently running at the moment?
      11-05-2018, 07:13 PM   #26
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
howdy chenry,

what tune are you currently running at the moment?
Howdy
MP Stage 1 (like you i think) with 3 gallons of E85 mixed with my 91 crap gas. Dinan midpipe and an AFE drop in air filter.

Hit me up on PM if you have any additional questions or if I can help in any way

Last edited by chenry; 11-05-2018 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:04 PM   #27
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i x-drive 8AT

Quote:

None. I used to removed before service appointment, not anymore. SA drives M3 and doesn’t care . Piggyback like A8 is not detectable. It just intercepts a signal from 3 sensors and fooling ECU. Flash does.

If you want good power and reliability - A8 is the way to go from any other piggyback. Nothing compares to it. Look at the torque and power curve.

https://store.activeautowerke.com/co...-active-8-tune

I cant speak about MP flash option, however based from west coast posts guys are happy with 91 octane drivability and power

2018 340i x-drive 8AT - MP (Mission Performance) stg 3 DME tune, Xhp stg 3 EGS tune, catted AA downpipe, NGK plugs, E30 blend - 11.4@120mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 01:20 AM   #28
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted View Post
None. I used to removed before service appointment, not anymore. SA drives M3 and doesn’t care . Piggyback like A8 is not detectable. It just intercepts a signal from 3 sensors and fooling ECU. Flash does.

If you want good power and reliability - A8 is the way to go from any other piggyback. Nothing compares to it. Look at the torque and power curve.

I cant speak about MP flash option, however based from west coast posts guys are happy with 91 octane drivability and power
I respectfully disagree that the AA box is the best of the piggy back tunes. In fact, I’ve driven almost all of them on the B58, outside of the newer MG Flasher and DMS re-map, on both stock and mppsk outfits and all the piggies feel pretty much the same and have the same issues with linearity and shift smoothness. Some more than others...I would say it felt jerkiest on the dinan cars.

Also, I have yet to see any AA dynos that are as powerful as any comparable JB4 setup. All the newer piggies are pretty much a copy of the JB4 in a much nicer wrapper if you ask me. I think it’s great if it works great for you but in my opinion it’s about on par with a map 1 jb4 setup...without all the logging and extra features the Jb4 has to offer.

So far, the Mission Performance tune is the only tune that feels as smooth, if not smoother, than stock and has the most natural application of throttle across the rev range with massively improved top end and great afrs, compared to the stock method of low range rpm overboost and leaner trims. This is apparent even on garbage California 91. The MP tune is also adaptable to E85, as well, and I can atest to the extra power it delivers.

Anyhow, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, if you wish. I’m not a magazine or internet racer. I’m race certified and have been tracking cars for over 15 years and I understand that the visual branding and text-speak for all these products serve one purpose and that is to sell. Dinan and AA boxes look pretty nice...akin to something like comparing Apple products’ polish to something more crude...in this case, the simpleness and almost plain jane industrial quality of the JB4. But if I had to pick a piggy it would be the JB4 all day long. Not even a question. They are proven in the wild on the track and the support is much better than most other brands.

Also a quick note...that AA dyno is on 93 and an exhaust and powerdyne mustang dynos are always difficult to compare to the standard dynojets were accustomed to.

Last edited by TreDirtyFive; 11-06-2018 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
eluded3029.00
      11-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #29
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
In late 2018 OP should be looking at some of the flash tuners out there. Piggy backs suck. They lie. They cheat.
Everyone does... probably. But using the opportunity to comment on this quote from the official BMW MPPSK data sheet:
"- The performance values quoted by some tuning suppliers of more than 265 kW are not feasible according to engine experts. Internal BMW tests confirm this"

I get it that everyone wants to sell their own product, but why say that at all? How truthful is it, do you think? I do trust that maybe in the long run and in a more extreme usage scenario, such a setup may cause problems. After all - noone (nowadays) dimensions an engine/drivetrain/turbo to support significantly higher loads for no reason. This only brings cost up. This said, there are very few reports for engine malfunctions after tuning the 35i / 40i engines... The B58 is relatively new though, so that could be a factor.
      11-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #30
pgadv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 xDrive M Sport MPPSK

Quote:
I respectfully disagree that the AA box is the best of the piggy back tunes. In fact, I’ve driven almost all of them on the B58, outside of the newer MG Flasher and DMS re-map, on both stock and mppsk outfits and all the piggies feel pretty much the same and have the same issues with linearity and shift smoothness. Some more than others...I would say it felt jerkiest on the dinan cars.

Also, I have yet to see any AA dynos that are as powerful as any comparable JB4 setup. All the newer piggies are pretty much a copy of the JB4 in a much nicer wrapper if you ask me. I think it’s great if it works great for you but in my opinion it’s about on par with a map 1 jb4 setup...without all the logging and extra features the Jb4 has to offer.

So far, the Mission Performance tune is the only tune that feels as smooth, if not smoother, than stock and has the most natural application of throttle across the rev range with massively improved top end and great afrs, compared to the stock method of low range rpm overboost and leaner trims. This is apparent even on garbage California 91. The MP tune is also adaptable to E85, as well, and I can atest to the extra power it delivers.

Anyhow, take my thoughts with a grain of salt, if you wish. I’m not a magazine or internet racer. I’m race certified and have been tracking cars for over 15 years and I understand that the visual branding and text-speak for all these products serve one purpose and that is to sell. Dinan and AA boxes look pretty nice...akin to something like comparing Apple products’ polish to something more crude...in this case, the simpleness and almost plain jane industrial quality of the JB4. But if I had to pick a piggy it would be the JB4 all day long. Not even a question. They are proven in the wild on the track and the support is much better than most other brands.

Also a quick note...that AA dyno is on 93 and an exhaust and powerdyne mustang dynos are always difficult to compare to the standard dynojets were accustomed to.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #31
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

I would like to know if anyone who has an Active-8 has ever been detected by BMW. I have not heard anyone with an Active-8 lose their warranty. It is very easy to take off at first sign of trouble. I have had an Active-8 for years and can never go back. Its easy power.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #32
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWILUVU View Post
I would like to know if anyone who has an Active-8 has ever been detected by BMW. I have not heard anyone with an Active-8 lose their warranty. It is very easy to take off at first sign of trouble. I have had an Active-8 for years and can never go back. Its easy power.
You'll probably never know unless you make a drivetrain warranty claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #33
TiffanyatSouthMotors
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9812 Moonstone Metallic

I have an active-8, I like it. My SA knows my car is modded and doesn't care. Says he would tell me if I need to remove anything before doing any sort of warranty work.
Appreciate 1
boosted116.00
      11-09-2018, 11:35 PM   #34
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Irrelevant to 340i. You drive X3 (SUV) - apples to oranges. My experience is based on 93 octane both 340i xdrive - A8 (my car) vs JB4 (friend) as only mods. I think he was running on map 3 (6psi) and I prefer A8 in every way since I purchased except no logging capabilities .. Ive found A8 much smoother and predictable. I am an agressive driver and get on it frequently and I dont understand when people report rough shifts with A8. My trans shifts are good enough, sometimes in the beginning Ive experienced rpm stuck for a few seconds but disappeared. Yet, I havent jumped to flash instead because I like still what it does. Maybe 93 octane makes that much better difference vs 91

Will plan on independent dyno next year most likely Dynojet. I expect decent numbers. Btw, Burger JB4 always post STD correction numbers instead of SAE to look cool. Ill do both.

Glad you happy with MP flash..

2018 340i x-drive 8AT - MP (Mission Performance) stg 3 DME tune, Xhp stg 3 EGS tune, catted AA downpipe, NGK plugs, E30 blend - 11.4@120mph.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 11:45 PM   #35
boosted
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For the past 4 visits for the dealer, I removed 3 times - none were detected. It cant.. since piggyback just intercept signals and fool ECU vs flash. I left on the last time since a new SA is mod friendly

Appreciate 1
BMWILUVU809.00
      11-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #36
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Irrelevant to 340i. You drive X3 (SUV) - apples to oranges. My experience is based on 93 octane both 340i xdrive - A8 (my car) vs JB4 (friend) as only mods. I think he was running on map 3 (6psi) and I prefer A8 in every way since I purchased except no logging capabilities .. Ive found A8 much smoother and predictable. I am an agressive driver and get on it frequently and I dont understand when people report rough shifts with A8. My trans shifts are good enough, sometimes in the beginning Ive experienced rpm stuck for a few seconds but disappeared. Yet, I havent jumped to flash instead because I like still what it does. Maybe 93 octane makes that much better difference vs 91

Will plan on independent dyno next year most likely Dynojet. I expect decent numbers. Btw, Burger JB4 always post STD correction numbers instead of SAE to look cool. Ill do both.

Glad you happy with MP flash..
Yes, I own an X3 M40i but I’ve driven and raced in plenty of B58’s. This includes an M240i, 340i’s in many different setups, 340 xi’s in many different setups as well as several 440i’s as well.

I also have absolute no bias to any of these tuners and have been tuning my cars as for over 15 years and have tried at least 10 different tuners over that stretch period and have learned a lot about the process and different ways tuners have approached their tunes. This is just my experience as I am not bashing anyone but rather telling it as it is from actually testing these cars. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt...Otherwise, great for you that the A8 works well.

Just so you know, so that it’s not misleading, the x3 m40i and any other B58 car is NOT apples to oranges. Same crate powerplant across the board and tuned the same as well from the factory as I have seen BMW’s actual software written to every single B58 as well as what the mppsk firmware looks like as well. It’s all exactly the same. Please do not spread false rumors as it applies to this. Same hardware and same software across the board. Rwd to awd software is not any different on these engines.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #37
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

The JB4 would be more detectable than an A8. The power is almost the same. The JB4 can go much further in modding stages but I have no interest and do just fine on tracks.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #38
jrdoming
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i M-Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
The JB4 would be more detectable than an A8. The power is almost the same. The JB4 can go much further in modding stages but I have no interest and do just fine on tracks.
What makes the jb4 more detectable than A8?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #39
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
I dont understand when people report rough shifts with A8. My trans shifts are good enough
If I do a WOT shift under high load (3000RPM+), torque management kicks in and it stumbles hard (that's what people are talking about the "rough shifts").

Getting off the throttle slightly when pulling the paddle addresses the issue.

I love the AA, it pulls insanely hard, and have no complaints. I have a JB4 on my Audi, and equally as happy. The JB4 doesn't experience the torque intervention stumble on the shift though, which might be I not putting out as much boost? I have no dyno to confirm/deny this though.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #40
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
The JB4 is less detectable because it has more control and CANbus, so the DME is able to see even less and it can clear any hidden fault codes. It's also adjustable, you can run it on map1 or map2 if you just want to simulate what other B58 piggybacks offer. And it has the higher and more advanced maps for those who want them. Plus it's 50-state emissions legal.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 10:02 PM   #41
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

quote:
I dont understand when people report rough shifts with A8. My trans shifts are good enough

Understand you have access to 93 fuel - lucky you / I still don't think I've seen anyone on CA gold (91 crap gas) report the same when it comes to their piggyback
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 04:53 AM   #42
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:

I've had both JB+ and A8 and I agree 100% with these comments.

Driveability and finesse is far more important imho. Unfortunately neither of these chips fit the bill and I wished I just waited for the DME tune. The A8 was a lot better than the JB+ of course but still lacked that finesse. I have removed both and am contemplating and waiting on which DME tune to go for.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 06:57 PM   #43
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad View Post
I've had both JB+ and A8 and I agree 100% with these comments.

Driveability and finesse is far more important imho. Unfortunately neither of these chips fit the bill and I wished I just waited for the DME tune. The A8 was a lot better than the JB+ of course but still lacked that finesse. I have removed both and am contemplating and waiting on which DME tune to go for.
The JB4 takes in a lot more inputs including gas pedal input and as a result can provide much smoother and stronger tuning than any other tuning system.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #44
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

Do you honestly think that if you spun a rod bearing and BMW sent an engineer out to your dealership that they wouldn’t be able to find proof you had a piggyback at some point? They can see boost logs, timing logs, shadow codes etc, etc. I don’t care if the SA is Elvis or your childhood best friend. He wouldn’t be able to help you if it were to come to that. Just because your flash counter hasn’t changed doesn’t mean that BMW NA can’t dig and find valid reasons to void your warranty.