F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > M Sport Brake rotor & pads replacement
Extreme Powerhouse

10-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD EBII

M Sport Brake rotor & pads replacement

Hi guys,

My 2013 335i M Sport is now at 71,000 km / 44,000 miles and the M Sport brake pads are now needing replacement.

Question is before I go to the dealer I wanted to see at what point other members had to change their rotors. My impression from reading around these forums is that they should last 2 brake pads (original + 1 replacement). Living in Toronto, Canada with salt and winter conditions I don't know if this is reasonable.

Please update at what mileage you replaced M Sport brake pads and rotors.

Thanks,
HMR.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Rotors have a minimum thickness at which they need replacement. On M Sport brakes that's 28.4mm in the front and 22.4mm in the back. These numbers are stamped on the rotor hat. Pull your wheel and measure with calipers if your interested in seeing where you're at.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 1
N26Ghost496.50
      10-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #3
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules View Post
Hi guys,

My 2013 335i M Sport is now at 71,000 km / 44,000 miles and the M Sport brake pads are now needing replacement.

Question is before I go to the dealer I wanted to see at what point other members had to change their rotors. My impression from reading around these forums is that they should last 2 brake pads (original + 1 replacement). Living in Toronto, Canada with salt and winter conditions I don't know if this is reasonable.

Thanks,
HMR.
Hey, are you replacing both the front and rear rotors and pads?
My 435i has about 66k km on it and I haven't changed the rotors on it yet. Just had a 55-point inspection done, so I'm assuming they checked this as well...but my butt dyno is telling me they're due for service.

Conversely, I have 48k km on a C43 and had to change my rear rotors already. I've heard that MB cars with adaptive cruise / lane keep assist systems are more prone to wearing out their rear brake pads and rotors faster as a lot of the braking is rear initiated. Not sure if your BMW has these options, might be more likely to have higher wear and tear on your pads and rotors if it does.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

It's less about the salt/winter, more about if they are grooved/worn unevenly.

When I did my E90 ones at 90k, I swapped rotors + pads. You might be able to turn them and use them again, but as they wear, you lose thickness on the rotor which in turn impacts the rotors ability to convert friction to heat and increases brake fade as well as risk of them warping.

I think all in for parts it was $800 CAD with rotors, pads, and new wear sensors.

You would need to get them turned so that you can measure how much rotor is left.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Conversely, I have 48k km on a C43 and had to change my rear rotors already. I've heard that MB cars with adaptive cruise / lane keep assist systems are more prone to wearing out their rear brake pads and rotors faster as a lot of the braking is rear initiated. Not sure if your BMW has these options, might be more likely to have higher wear and tear on your pads and rotors if it does.
A lot of that is the torque vectoring they do for hard corners (they brake the inside wheels to pull the car around the corner). Audi is bad for this as well (I say bad, but I suppose one doesn't need to push it that hard in corners).
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #6
HouseMusicRules
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
It's less about the salt/winter, more about if they are grooved/worn unevenly.

When I did my E90 ones at 90k, I swapped rotors + pads. You might be able to turn them and use them again, but as they wear, you lose thickness on the rotor which in turn impacts the rotors ability to convert friction to heat and increases brake fade as well as risk of them warping.

I think all in for parts it was $800 CAD with rotors, pads, and new wear sensors.

You would need to get them turned so that you can measure how much rotor is left.
Hi,

$800 for the parts? From where? Are they OEM BMW? Are you planning on doing it yourself? How much does the dealership charge if you got it installed there?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

My dealer wants to charge me $2500 to change my rotors and brake pads. They said it cost me about $1K more because I have M performance brakes. One local Indy is quoting me $1400 for the same job.

The dealership service advisor said that I need to change pad and rotor at the same time, without even checking my rotors' thickness.

I am pretty sad about the quality of the advisor. As long as my rotors are fine and not below minimum thickness, I will just change the pads. Most likely I will just change pads myself.

BTW, I have driven the car for close to 5 years. Total miles is approaching 40K miles and I still have 4mm left for my pads. My computer said I have ~1500 miles left last week.

Last edited by Pdxway; 10-31-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:59 PM   #8
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

When I did mine on my E90, it was Brembo non-slotted rotors/pads. I swapped the m-sport pads on my F30 with EBC red's from ecstuning months after I bought the car new (hated the insane amount of brake dust).

Zimmerman is what BMW uses as OEM (m-sport is Brembo I believe). At ecstuning, it's about $240USD for a pair of Zimmerman rotors, a set of 4 EBC red stuff pads are $309USD (so all in for $790USD). If you have a 340, they don't list the pads for it, but it's the same pads on the 335 m-sport.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMusicRules View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks,
HMR.
Funny question, depends on how you drive mate. Rotors should last 50k miles or beyond if driven carefully matted with a conservative pad.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #10
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdxway View Post
My dealer wants to charge me $2500 to change my rotors and brake pads. They said it cost me about $1K more because I have M performance brakes. One local Indy is quoting me $1400 for the same job.

The dealership service advisor said that I need to change pad and rotor at the same time, without even checking my rotors' thickness.

I am pretty sad about the quality of the advisor. As long as my rotors are fine and not below minimum thickness, I will just change the pads. Most likely I will just change pads myself.

BTW, I have driven the car for close to 5 years. Total miles is approaching 40K miles and I still have 4mm left for my pads. My computer said I have ~1500 miles left last week.
Doing pads and rotors couldn't be easier. DIY it.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Doing pads and rotors couldn't be easier. DIY it.
Yup! The dealership shocked me into DIY. I think I am going to just replace pads with aftermarket ceramic pads, plus replace the bolts and brake sensors with original parts. I also plan to replace the rotors' bolt. My estimated parts cost would be $160 total.
Appreciate 1
Larry7784.50
      10-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #12
Larry77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp "Ultimate Pkg"

Quote:

Check out Boyd Auto Werks, they just installed my whole retrofit M-Performance Brake Kit for much, much, less than your Indy shop quote. Eric seems like a good guy and my brakes felt amazing right after install which I've read is not always the case with the retro fit BBK.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry77 View Post
Check out Boyd Auto Werks, they just installed my whole retrofit M-Performance Brake Kit for much, much, less than your Indy shop quote. Eric seems like a good guy and my brakes felt amazing right after install which I've read is not always the case with the retro fit BBK.
Definitely will keep them in mind. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #14
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yup! The dealership shocked me into DIY. I think I am going to just replace pads with aftermarket ceramic pads, plus replace the bolts and brake sensors with original parts. I also plan to replace the rotors' bolt. My estimated parts cost would be $160 total.
Brake sensors yes, but there's no need to replace the caliper bolts. Look at your pads and if there is uneven wear, you will need to replace the slide pin bushings, so have some on hand in case. The rotor bolt is only for positioning purposes; it doesn't hold the rotor on. Unless it's damaged, just replace it but put some antisieze on the threads.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Brake sensors yes, but there's no need to replace the caliper bolts. Look at your pads and if there is uneven wear, you will need to replace the slide pin bushings, so have some on hand in case. The rotor bolt is only for positioning purposes; it doesn't hold the rotor on. Unless it's damaged, just replace it but put some antisieze on the threads.
Cool! I guess I will only get new pads and new sensors for now. As my brakes are 4 pistons front and 2 pistons back Brembo brake calipers, I don't think I need to worry about slider pins. I plan to use web page like https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rakes/J7O1UV0e as guide. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #16
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Cool! I guess I will only get new pads and new sensors for now. As my brakes are 4 pistons front and 2 pistons back Brembo brake calipers, I don't think I need to worry about slider pins. I plan to use web page like https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...rakes/J7O1UV0e as guide. Thanks!
Ceramic pads often have less bite than stock pads. You might be disappointed in how the brake pedal feels after swapping them out.

Also, you should measure your rotor thickness with some cheap $20 calipers. Rotors should be machined or replaced if you're doing pads. Since you're doing a DIY and saving on labor costs and willing to get non-OEM parts, you can probably find Zimmerman rotors for about $100 per corner. Well worth it if you're doing your pads anyway. You can probably get away with just slapping in some pads on your existing rotors if the rotors are in good condition, though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #17
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Ceramic pads often have less bite than stock pads. You might be disappointed in how the brake pedal feels after swapping them out.

Also, you should measure your rotor thickness with some cheap $20 calipers. Rotors should be machined or replaced if you're doing pads. Since you're doing a DIY and saving on labor costs and willing to get non-OEM parts, you can probably find Zimmerman rotors for about $100 per corner. Well worth it if you're doing your pads anyway. You can probably get away with just slapping in some pads on your existing rotors if the rotors are in good condition, though.
Yes, definitely will triple check the rotors thickness. I bought a digital one that can measure with tire on. My initial readings are they are near minimum, but still above, like 1.5 mm down. I will measure again with tires out.

I am expecting less brake bites with ceramic. I hope it will not be too bad. I just can't stand the noise and crazy amount of dust anymore.
: )

Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #18
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

I had mine replaced at 49k miles. Even tho the iDrive said 3k miles to go on the fronts and 20k on rear, the brakes were squealing so dealer replaced front Rotors and pads and rear pads for free.
      11-01-2018, 06:50 PM   #19
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, definitely will triple check the rotors thickness. I bought a digital one that can measure with tire on. My initial readings are they are near minimum, but still above, like 1.5 mm down. I will measure again with tires out.

I am expecting less brake bites with ceramic. I hope it will not be too bad. I just can't stand the noise and crazy amount of dust anymore.
: )

Thanks for the tips!
Yeah a good ceramic pad will definitely solve your dust problems. Are you saying you have +1.5mm of the minimum thickness? That means you probably have plenty of life left on your rotors. Make sure you're not catching a lip on the rotor when measuring.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #20
Pdxway
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Yeah a good ceramic pad will definitely solve your dust problems. Are you saying you have +1.5mm of the minimum thickness? That means you probably have plenty of life left on your rotors. Make sure you're not catching a lip on the rotor when measuring.
Yeah, definitely I made sure to avoid the lips. I tried to avoid the slots and dimples too. The thickness of front rotors are about 28.5 to 28.6mm. I believe the minimum is 28.4. So it is about .1 to .2 mm above minimum. I read that as long as the rotors thickness is above the minimum, I can install new pads without replacing rotors....So, I am going with just replacing pads and see how it will work out. But, I will measure again after I remove tires, just to be sure. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #21
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
When I did mine on my E90, it was Brembo non-slotted rotors/pads. I swapped the m-sport pads on my F30 with EBC red's from ecstuning months after I bought the car new (hated the insane amount of brake dust).

Zimmerman is what BMW uses as OEM (m-sport is Brembo I believe). At ecstuning, it's about $240USD for a pair of Zimmerman rotors, a set of 4 EBC red stuff pads are $309USD (so all in for $790USD). If you have a 340, they don't list the pads for it, but it's the same pads on the 335 m-sport.
How did you find this set up for aggressive street driving? I don't track the car. Looking for better bite and pedal feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 01:48 AM   #22
jimmyfloyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

Are the m-sport brakes really that much more than the regular brake for pads and rotors?
Appreciate 0