F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ACS Springs
GetBMWParts

11-19-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
jamiegrant10
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d XDrive Shadow Ed

ACS Springs

Hi guys,

Hoping to purchase ACS Spring to lower my xdrive in the near future although the warranty situation worrys me as the car is still basically brand new. I have enquired to BMW about this and they say that any component failure due to the lowering springs will not be covered but they could not elaborate on this any further. So I have a few questions:

1. How reliable are the suspension components surronding the springs? Are there any common problems?
2. What components are likely to be void from warranty?
3. I know AC Schnizer provide warranty with the springs and say the will cover what BMW won't but has anyone had to go down this route and how helpful was AC Schnizer?
4. I know the steering rack is notorious for knocking on the F30 even at low mileage. Will BMW use the springs as an excuse to void the warranty for this part?
5. Where is the best place in or around Glasgow to get thse fitted. Is it best doing it with a dealer?

Will probably only own the car for 3, maybe 4 years so dont really fancy waiting till near the end of the warranty period but also don't fancy shooting myself in the foot with unnecessary repair bills due to a modification.

Also looking through previous posts about these springs gives mixed reviews in terms of warranty which confuses matters.

Any help is appreciated .

Previous - Audi A4 Quattro, Fiesta ST
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I had them fitted to my 435d and the spring quality looked as good if not better than the BMW units. As for warranty. As the F3# is know for steering knock issues. It would be hard for a dealer to blame aftermarket springs.

As for should you go through a dealer. all I can say is a full KDS type set-up is definitely something I would recommend.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
I fitted ACS on my 335i. I later got steering clunk issues and BMW replaced the rack with no questions asked. Lorcan at ACS said as much and promised to help if there were issues. I wouldn't worry personally. Car looks much better with the springs fitted and the handling improves too
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
cheesetoastie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

I'm looking at my options. What did you choose ACS over the others
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #5
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiegrant10 View Post
5. Where is the best place in or around Glasgow to get thse fitted. Is it best doing it with a dealer?
Parks in Stirling, speak to Calum Russell [Parts Manager], he will give you a price to supply and fit. Get them to do a 4 wheel alignment after fitting.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Hi Jamie,

1. There are occasional problems with leaking adaptive dampers, top mounts and steering racks.

2. In theory, nothing should be void. AC Schnitzer components are properly designed, rigorously tested, equal, or better, in quality to the originals and are TUV approved, so there is no legitimate reason for a dealer to void a claim.

3. We are very helpful. Not to mention good looking

4. Not encountered this to date with over 2000 kits sold.

5. Douglas Park in Stirling are very good, although I think they now use a third party garage for fitting due to the politics of using a non-BMW brand. Speak to Calum there, he has them on his own car.

Look, if you're not going to be able to sleep at night because of this then it's probably best that you leave the car standard. But in reality on the odd occasion there has been a problem we've worked with the dealer and AC Schnitzer to resolve it. The fact that nearly every BMW dealer in Scotland is a BMW dealer should provide some reassurance.

https://shop.rossiters.co.uk/where-to-order-4-w.asp

If customers really were running into problems with related component warranty claims a) these dealers would wash their hands of us and b) it would be all over this forum.

I hope this helps.

Appreciate 2
      11-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #7
jamiegrant10
Rep

Quote:
Parks in Stirling, speak to Calum Russell [Parts Manager], he will give you a price to supply and fit. Get them to do a 4 wheel alignment after fitting.[/QUOTE]

I spoke with Callum he told me he can only supply but not fit the springs so that rules there out.

Best so far is Douglas Park Glasgow. To supply and fit is £550 although this doesn't include wheel alignment so probably more like £650.

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Parks in Stirling, speak to Calum Russell [Parts Manager], he will give you a price to supply and fit. Get them to do a 4 wheel alignment after fitting.
I spoke with Callum he told me he can only supply but not fit the springs so that rules there out.

Best so far is Douglas Park Glasgow. To supply and fit is Ł550 although this doesn't include wheel alignment so probably more like Ł650.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I guess they must have changed their policy as I had mine fitted there. Total to supply, fit and 4 wheel alignment was Ł650 inc VAT so if you can get it done for that I would say that's about right.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
jamiegrant10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Hi Jamie,

1. There are occasional problems with leaking adaptive dampers, top mounts and steering racks.

2. In theory, nothing should be void. AC Schnitzer components are properly designed, rigorously tested, equal, or better, in quality to the originals and are TUV approved, so there is no legitimate reason for a dealer to void a claim.

5. Douglas Park in Stirling are very good, although I think they now use a third party garage for fitting due to the politics of using a non-BMW brand. Speak to Calum there, he has them on his own car.

Look, if you're not going to be able to sleep at night because of this then it's probably best that you leave the car standard. But in reality on the odd occasion there has been a problem we've worked with the dealer and AC Schnitzer to resolve it. The fact that nearly every BMW dealer in Scotland is a BMW dealer should provide some reassurance.

If customers really were running into problems with related component warranty claims a) these dealers would wash their hands of us and b) it would be all over this forum.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Lorcan. Very helpful.

Know it's only a matter of time before I do it because the ride height annoys me even though it didn't until I joined this forum but seeing how much better the car sits and everyone says greatly improves handling. Just trying to understand fully the implications and potential risks of doing so though.

Good to have you on our side if needed

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #10
Davey90
Private
Rep
Drives: Non

Quote:
Hi Jamie,

I hope this helps.

Hi Lorcan,

Useful information - wondering if you recommend some BMW dealers in London (heathrow area) that will supply and fit too?

Sorry to hi-jack op.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:04 AM   #11
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croms View Post
Hi Lorcan,

Useful information - wondering if you recommend some BMW dealers in London (heathrow area) that will supply and fit too?

Sorry to hi-jack op.
Barons BMW Hindhead, speak to Mike Knowles on 01428 605000
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 04:36 AM   #12
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d Gran Coupe

Hi Lorcan, can you recommend any BMW dealers in the West Midlands. Everyone ive spoken to has no idea what ACS springs are. Ive been given a number for Stourbridge Automotive which is local to me, but id rather get it done by a BMW dealer if possible
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:01 AM   #13
Lorcan
Rep

Stourbridge get excellent reviews from our customers and are ex-BMW guys so well worth a shout.

The nearest Schnitzer-friendly BMW dealer is probably Sandal BMW in Wakefield - speak to the parts department there.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #14
MATYAL330XD
MATYAL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I fitted ACS on my 335i. I later got steering clunk issues and BMW replaced the rack with no questions asked. Lorcan at ACS said as much and promised to help if there were issues. I wouldn't worry personally. Car looks much better with the springs fitted and the handling improves too
what kind of noise was it? and was the car still under warranty under what kind of millage did you have this issue.

Thank
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #15
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroombimmer View Post
Hi Lorcan, can you recommend any BMW dealers in the West Midlands. Everyone ive spoken to has no idea what ACS springs are. Ive been given a number for Stourbridge Automotive which is local to me, but id rather get it done by a BMW dealer if possible
Quote:
Stourbridge get excellent reviews from our customers and are ex-BMW guys so well worth a shout.

The nearest Schnitzer-friendly BMW dealer is probably Sandal BMW in Wakefield - speak to the parts department there.
Apologies for jumping on this question.

Had my ACS springs fitted by Sytner’s in Oldbury a couple of years ago. They have a separate “body shop” a couple of minutes away where they do all sorts of stuff. They fitted my springs and non OEM bits there as well - decent job.
Just be aware they added a premium onto the spring costs in order to supply so I provided my own direct from Lorcan.

Failing that I can recommend Stourbridge Automotive- they’ve changed my rear ARB and brake pads there. Decent set of guys.
      11-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
pdk42
Eh? Team member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATYAL330XD View Post
what kind of noise was it? and was the car still under warranty under what kind of millage did you have this issue.

Thank
It's a very common problem. Just go searching here. Basically, the rack on the F30 is susceptible to play which causes clunking when turning at slow speed and sometimes when creeping in traffic. Mine started it at about 12k miles and 15 months old. It was replaced under warranty with no questions asked. The car's now done 46k and 4 years old and it's starting again... It's nothing to do with the springs.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Hi Jamie,

I hope this helps.

In fact, every BMW dealer in the world is a BMW dealer!
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      11-20-2018, 05:11 PM   #18
adrianbcfc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d xDrive M Sport F31

Lorcan, any BMW dealers that will fit the springs in general Bristol area?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 03:30 AM   #19
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
In fact, every BMW dealer in the world is a BMW dealer!

You know what I meant!
Appreciate 1
teaston10994.50
      11-21-2018, 03:36 AM   #20
Lorcan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianbcfc View Post
Lorcan, any BMW dealers that will fit the springs in general Bristol area?
Technically no, but we have had the odd set slip through Dick Lovett BMW. It very much depends on who you speak to there. The last set went through Chris Baker, Parts Advisor at Swindon. You could try him on 01793 439618.
Appreciate 0