F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > F36 435i xDrive Transmission Service
Studio RSR

04-26-2020, 09:44 PM   #1
Bburford435
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Xdrive Gran Coupé

F36 435i xDrive Transmission Service

Hey everyone. This is my first time posting.

I have a 2016 435i GC xDrive. (61k miles)

I just changed the transmission fluid and filter with OEM pan and liquid moly ATF.

After the change, I can hear a whine(almost sounds like a supercharger whine) coming from the transmission when I am hard on accelerating. I also think the shifts are harder(I like the harder shifts but I know it can't be good for the car).

Any ideas? I topped the fluid off when it was hot.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:37 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bburford435 View Post

I just changed the transmission fluid and filter with OEM pan and liquid moly ATF.

After the change, I can hear a whine(almost sounds like a supercharger whine) coming from the transmission when I am hard on accelerating. I also think the shifts are harder(I like the harder shifts but I know it can't be good for the car).

Thanks!
Sounds like you used a non-OEM fluid? I am pretty sure you are only supposed to use the OEM fluid, ZF lifeguard IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #3
Bburford435
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Xdrive Gran Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
Sounds like you used a non-OEM fluid? I am pretty sure you are only supposed to use the OEM fluid, ZF lifeguard IIRC.
Thank you for the response.

I ended up adding more fluid, I didn't fill it while it was running. That made it better. Only time I hear a whine is when launching, only for a split second.

Maybe OEM would fix it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
KeelTiii
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDrive40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
Thank you for the response.

I ended up adding more fluid, I didn't fill it while it was running. That made it better. Only time I hear a whine is when launching, only for a split second.

Maybe OEM would fix it.
Did you follow the steps when you change the fluid? There are specific instructions for the fluid temperature etc. when changing it.

I didn't drain and fill anything and I had that whine (more severe than yours) since I bought my F32 last year. Now it's at the dealership waiting for a new transmission.
Appreciate 0