F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > WBAC appears to be quoting again
ARMA SPEED

05-24-2020, 07:29 AM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

WBAC appears to be quoting again

Just noticed that We Buy Any Car has come back to life, although only some of their centres are open. They seem to have dropped their prices by a few percent on their pre-lockdown price.

I imagine that auctions are not up and running quite yet, so the prices may change once they have more data.

I just mention this as it seems WBAC are used as some kind of benchmark these days.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

you say that but out of curiosity I filled it out to see what it quoted and got this....

Quote:
Unfortunately, during our phased re-opening, we're temporarily delaying vehicle valuations and purchases for your type of vehicle as we carefully monitor market demand during these unprecedented times.

We will be in contact to offer you a quick, hassle-free way to sell your vehicle once we are able to do so.

Thank you for your understanding and stay safe.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Benchmark is one word
      05-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
you say that but out of curiosity I filled it out to see what it quoted and got this....
Perhaps they are just quoting for older / lower value cars as I just put a couple more in and got the same message for the higher value one and an offer for the lower value one.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #5
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Just noticed that We Buy Any Car has come back to life, although only some of their centres are open. They seem to have dropped their prices by a few percent on their pre-lockdown price.

I imagine that auctions are not up and running quite yet, so the prices may change once they have more data.

I just mention this as it seems WBAC are used as some kind of benchmark these days.
Benchmark, really? Must have missed that in my 20 years in the trade.

If someone walks in and says I’ve had a quote off WEBAC will you match it, the general response is no.

Unless it’s prime stock or we know we have a buyer for it, fuck off and take it to them. Unless the customer has physically been there and got written proof of an offer not interested. And guess what, 9 time’s out of 10 they haven’t.

So you look round the car and there’s normally £650 worth of damage so it makes no odds anyway what webac would have offered online!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
Benchmark, really? Must have missed that in my 20 years in the trade.

If someone walks in and says I’ve had a quote off WEBAC will you match it, the general response is no.

Unless it’s prime stock or we know we have a buyer for it, fuck off and take it to them. Unless the customer has physically been there and got written proof of an offer not interested. And guess what, 9 time’s out of 10 they haven’t.

So you look round the car and there’s normally £650 worth of damage so it makes no odds anyway what webac would have offered online!
That may be what you do. But I’ve sat in both Audi and BMW and watched them come back after using their own systems and then bring up WBAC as a sense check and there’s barely been a few quid between them.

Not once have they uttered the delightful phrase, fuck off and take it to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
That may be what you do. But I’ve sat in both Audi and BMW and watched them come back after using their own systems and then bring up WBAC as a sense check and there’s barely been a few quid between them.

Not once have they uttered the delightful phrase, fuck off and take it to them.
That’s not what I said is it. At no point did I say this is what we say to the customer....

So these companies that pay upwards of £1000 a month for HPi check and Valuation Anywhere use the exact same system WEBAC use as a ‘sense check?’ More than likely humouring the customer. We’ve done it.

And if we are not happy coming up to the WEBAC online valuation, (without them seeing the car,mid we are adrift,) we will decline to purchase it as a part ex and work the deal without it and either cash in or no finance to settle etc. That doesn’t happen very often tbh.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:57 PM   #8
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dX View Post
That’s not what I said is it. At no point did I say this is what we say to the customer....

So these companies that pay upwards of £1000 a month for HPi check and Valuation Anywhere use the exact same system WEBAC use as a ‘sense check?’ More than likely humouring the customer. We’ve done it.

And if we are not happy coming up to the WEBAC online valuation, (without them seeing the car,mid we are adrift,) we will decline to purchase it as a part ex and work the deal without it and either cash in or no finance to settle etc. That doesn’t happen very often tbh.
Not humouring me, I’ve never had a WBAC quote or mentioned that I might, so they’ve done it for their own benefit. They’ve also pulled up autotrader if the car is quite rare and not too many for sale.
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      05-24-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Not humouring me, I’ve never had a WBAC quote or mentioned that I might, so they’ve done it for their own benefit. They’ve also pulled up autotrader if the car is quite rare and not too many for sale.
Autotrader is a very handy tool, back office even better.

So expensive though.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #10
Sennen
Colonel
Rep
Drives: UP, Alpine & Caterham

Well on my last purchases with BMW, Audi and LR they have all used WBAC for the PX valuation.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:10 AM   #11
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sennen View Post
Well on my last purchases with BMW, Audi and LR they have all used WBAC for the PX valuation.
Yep and when I sold my last part x to evans halshaw through their version of WBAC they even loaded up WBAC to show the offer price on the day was lower than what they ere paying me.

At the end of the day - the dealer will do anything to screw the customer. Its up to the customer to have the balls to make that screw as small as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 04:47 AM   #12
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

I got a good price from WBAC for my 440i GC in mid-Jan. I was in a hurry to sell as someone had broken into my house for the car and I wanted shot asap. Noone else got near the WBAC price, which I went for in the end. Very glad I managed to get rid of the car when I did, given the current environment. WBAC has its uses.

Last edited by TodmordenLad; 05-25-2020 at 05:11 AM..
Appreciate 1
JD64270.50
      05-25-2020, 04:53 AM   #13
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

GVT indicator of progression. WBAC are back supplying insultingly low quotes.

Phase 3
      05-25-2020, 05:19 AM   #14
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Got my eye on a 99 plate Boxster that's local to me

On at a touch over four grand. WBAC value - £150.00

So yes. They're definitely back!
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      05-25-2020, 05:23 AM   #15
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Got my eye on a 99 plate Boxster that's local to me

On at a touch over four grand. WBAC value - £150.00

So yes. They're definitely back!
ROFL. Seriously what is the point of quoting people this crap?
      05-25-2020, 06:05 AM   #16
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
I got a good price from WBAC for my 440i GC in mid-Jan. I was in a hurry to sell as someone had broken into my house for the car and I wanted shot asap. Noone else got near the WBAC price, which I went for in the end. Very glad I managed to get rid of the car when I did, given the current environment. WBAC has its uses.
When I started looking at selling the F30 in February, WBAC were around 8% above the BMW dealers. By the time I actually came to sell just before the lockdown in March, WBAC had dropped their offer by about £3k, while BMW dealers were all hiding under the table saying that they weren't allowed to buy anything.

I ended up selling it privately (although it turned out to be a trader) for 15% more than the WBAC offer, but at least WBAC dared to quote. I agree that it can be a useful backstop (but £150 for a 1999 Boxster is taking the piss!).
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #17
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
When I started looking at selling the F30 in February, WBAC were around 8% above the BMW dealers. By the time I actually came to sell just before the lockdown in March, WBAC had dropped their offer by about £3k, while BMW dealers were all hiding under the table saying that they weren't allowed to buy anything.

I ended up selling it privately (although it turned out to be a trader) for 15% more than the WBAC offer, but at least WBAC dared to quote. I agree that it can be a useful backstop (but £150 for a 1999 Boxster is taking the piss!).
I reckon I would have got another £1500-£1750 tops if I'd sold privately but I didn't want to advertise and have buyers coming anywhere near the house, having just been broken into. I wanted to move quickly too.
WBAC is a good fallback. Prices vary enormously, based on demand for particular models at a point in time. It's all driven by the BCA auction data supporting their front-end pricing system. I was lucky with my price in retrospect.
      05-25-2020, 06:45 AM   #18
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I reckon I would have got another £1500-£1750 tops if I'd sold privately but I didn't want to advertise and have buyers coming anywhere near the house, having just been broken into. I wanted to move quickly too.
WBAC is a good fallback. Prices vary enormously, based on demand for particular models at a point in time. It's all driven by the BCA auction data supporting their front-end pricing system. I was lucky with my price in retrospect.
Totally agree, apart from my wife selling her TTS to a friend in 2016 I haven't sold a car privately for years.

Not overly keen on any Tom Dick or Harry nosing around my property. Far too much hassle at my age too
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 07:20 AM   #19
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Totally agree, apart from my wife selling her TTS to a friend in 2016 I haven't sold a car privately for years.

Not overly keen on any Tom Dick or Harry nosing around my property. Far too much hassle at my age too
Yep, I had a bad experience selling some bikes privately a few years ago so you have to be very wary.

I was several £000s up having bought my 'ever so ordinary' mk7.5 Golf for cash from the sale to WBAC and now have a car which I don't give two hoots about - which has actually turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would be. I'd love to have another big low slung 6 cyl petrol engined premium German but life's too short to be worried about leaving the house/being watched - and worse. For the first time in over 30 years, I've adopted my wife's philosophy in respect of four-wheeled transport - "It's just a car!?" - which can be surprisingly relaxing... And the new 4 series looks like sh*t anyway :
      05-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #20
Sennen
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yep, I had a bad experience selling some bikes privately a few years ago so you have to be very wary.

I was several £000s up having bought my 'ever so ordinary' mk7.5 Golf for cash from the sale to WBAC and now have a car which I don't give two hoots about - which has actually turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would be. I'd love to have another big low slung 6 cyl petrol engined premium German but life's too short to be worried about leaving the house/being watched - and worse. For the first time in over 30 years, I've adopted my wife's philosophy in respect of four-wheeled transport - "It's just a car!?" - which can be surprisingly relaxing... And the new 4 series looks like sh*t anyway :
Most people have the same approach to cars as your wife. Only idiots spend a fortune on cars and I am one of the most guilty!!!

I think car nuts come in two types, those that buy them as a prestige symbol and those that enjoy driving them. I am firmly in the latter group, either way a mugs game...... listen to your wife
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #21
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Most people have the same approach to cars as your wife. Only idiots spend a fortune on cars and I am one of the most guilty!!!

I think car nuts come in two types, those that buy them as a prestige symbol and those that enjoy driving them. I am firmly in the latter group, either way a mugs game...... listen to your wife
I've spent a small fortune on cars over the years and don't regret one penny of it. I've enjoyed everyone of them
      05-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #22
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

There is a lot to be said for having a car that you're not too bothered about. When I lived in London and parked our cars on the street my E39 540i was vandalised on the night of England v Germany Euro 2000 - the 'Engerland' retards went along the road damaging German cars. Fortunately a kick-boxing instructor neighbour spotted them in the act so they paid the price in more ways than one

I put this event behind me and replaced it with an E39 M5 which then had 2 of its wheels stolen at a few months' old - it was left balancing on a jack. After that I would wake at the slightest noise and I began to realise that the car was causing me more stress than the enjoyment I got from it. A year later I reluctantly replaced it with a Golf and slept soundly.

We then moved to a remote rural place and 16 years later I must be one of the few people in the area who always parks their cars in the garage. The experience of vandalism and theft has certainly left its mark.
Appreciate 1