F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
proTUNING Freaks

05-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #2003
m.overflow
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by __fred__ View Post
The last couple of weeks I’ve been busy hacking the ROM for this head unit, as the background task killing makes this device pretty much useless for daily use. I use Waze in combination with TuneIn radio or with android auto, but everything that runs in the background gets killed instantly by Event Center which makes for a very unpleasant experience.

Reinstalling the original EventCenter.apk will not really disable task killing for good as it will only stop the EventCenter process. It automatically restarts, but does not seem to run under the system id so it doesn’t have permission anymore to kill processes. Unfortunately rebooting the unit will disable the workaround until you kill EventCenter again.

I’ve got a PX3 unit running Android 7.1.2 and managed to root the ROM, install Xposed and lucky patcher, disable signature verification and update EventCenter.apk to remove the app killing. Below I’ll describe my method. Note that I’m not responsible for bricking your unit. It worked for me but your mileage may vary. What you get is the following:

• Root using SuperSU. SuperSU works but the app does not show in the app drawer. You can start it with an activity launcher though and it will show successfully installed. I have to find out why it does not show in the app drawer.
• Xposed. You can install all Xposed modules this way.
• Disabled signature verification. This means you can run modified APKs from any source. Note that this means that you are more vulnerable to any sort of malware for android out there. Use with caution!
• A patched Event Center that will not kill your apps (in fact won’t kill any app) and will not switch the sound to left speaker while navigating (which is a crappy feature). Patching event center will invalidate the signature, so you will need to have signature verification disabled to be able to install the modified APK.

I’ve rooted the 20190114 android firmware, so for now you will be on the latest version.

The steps necessary to reproduce are below:

• Download the custom ROM from here. Place it onto a MBR FAT32 formatted USB drive in the root folder. Insert it into the unit and follow instructions for a regular firmware update. The unit will reboot after successful installation and removal of the usb stick.
• Install Xposed using the APK installation described here. The latest download at the time of writing is XposedInstaller_3.1.5.apk. Install the app like you normally would. Open the app and go to the Framework section in the menu. Tap the Install/Update button and select Install. Grant root access to Xposed Installer. The app will install the framework and Reboot. At this reboot the radio will show the Android boot logo. This will only happen once.
• Install lucky patcher from here. Open Lucky Patcher. Tap on "Toolbox" -> "Xposed settings". Check the "Disable .apk signature verification" and "Disable signature verification in the package manager. Apply changes, done.
• Download EventCenter.apk from here. Install from lucky patcher as system app. The unit will reboot after installation.

There are some more things I’d like to change to this ROM, like the sound from navigation and carkit coming from the left speaker and the screen dimming connected to the head lights (pretty sure that’s MCU only though). I might try to patch some more annoying stuff in the future.

Ideally I’d like to integrate SuperSu, Xposed and the disabled signature verification (Not necessarily lucky patcher) into the ROM. I have very little time though and my car is parked 50m from my house which makes debugging and tinkering sessions few and far between. So it might be that my progress stops here and somebody else will want to continue my work. PM me for details, tools and more stuff to get you going if you want to give it a try.

Hi! Thank you for doing the job .
I wish to try it out but it is impossible to download from Megaupload such large files... either it errors out, or the file in the end proves corrupted.
Can we all ask you to upload it somewhere else?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #2004
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Has anyone bought the new wireless carplay dongle for your head units?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #2005
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravijordan View Post
Has anyone bought the new wireless carplay dongle for your head units?
Where did you see that ? Do you have a link ?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #2006
Ravijordan
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
Where did you see that ? Do you have a link ?
On aliexpress if you search for wireless carplay dongle should come up
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 04:00 AM   #2007
Nick_m135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: m135i

Hey, i've got a little problem with the bluetooth audio streaming. In advanced settings, i've changed into every bluetooth mode, but it doesen't work.

WenqiangBC5:
No connection possible

WenqiangBC6:
Sound quality is really bad, but connection stays at any time.

Feiyitong:
Sound qualitiy is perfect, but disconnects automatically every 15sec. Reconnect after abort, works without problems.

IVT_BC5:
No connection possible

Installed all updates, and changed the phone. But unfortunately it doesn't work.

Is there a chance to have a stabile connection with good sound quality?

The unit works without AUX cable + without optic cable (not installed).

Please help me, it's the only way i want to listen music in my car
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #2008
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 series E60, Mercedes S

I did not realize that mega was so bad. Here's a link on onedrive:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap4Tvs3SpQ_NoWhZ7Pv5wiTzHWdc
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:16 AM   #2009
Mitchellsx
Rep
Drives: Bmw m135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollthrottle View Post
still no success.

updated px6.img (full update)

hint.you can go into recovery by installing terminal app, run reboot recovery.

I also updated mcu update. bin (now on version : ccc-hw8-190118... B1280_170325)

facts:
-idrive controller turning and pressing doesnt work.
-holding idrive controller more than 4sec. in one direction (all 4 direction)
does work.
basicaly idrive controler can not be used at all.

connection the old screen (6,5") connection power and pulling the 10pin ccc cable from android placing it into old 6.5" works.

finally I ordered a new unit,
out of the box , exacetly same issue.
changed all cables.> same issue.

check on green fibre cable.
I can see red light on mask2 unit
checked the other end down in foot rom, diagnostic socket, red dot is on.
beside: the audio etc all works also without green fiber connected.

I am completely out of ideas.
my guess > wrong program inside MCU ?
does anyone has a old MCU for px6 8.1 and CCC ?

side note:
since I susspect can bus, for testing I did unplug the can A cable. that is resulting in OEM screen switches to OEM center menue.
so unplugging can has some effect. using the not in use idle can cable has no effect, so I changed back to default can cable.
note two:
with the more old version of MCU. the DAB+ software allowed me to change station via steering weel button. current version does pause the dab+ player.
[IMG][/IMG]

Think I have the same sort of issue of recently changed my unit to an anti glare 8.1android screen. Before I could use my idrive controller to control left, right and select in car with my old unit for CarPlay etc. Now this function not working with the the new software. Where is this software released for these units?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #2010
Mitchellsx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vollthrottle View Post
yes still the same problem

Idrive not working inside OEM. (ccc)

found a MCU file from jun 18
installed succesfull... no change:
023042bGS-ccc-hw8-1900118(B1280_170325.

did not change default can cable
but I am sure its related to mcu or and can plus software in general.

some 50 pages back a NL guy reported the same issue.
he fixed it by plugging the green fibre.
my green fibre is good.

any ideas ?
My idrive works inside the main android menu but not in any apps, hoping an update sorts soon
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 12:23 AM   #2011
babagurgur
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchellsx View Post
My idrive works inside the main android menu but not in any apps, hoping an update sorts soon
i really doubt they will have an update to add idrive in android apps

you are better off buying the $45 idrive knob replacement. looks like OEM but when you press it down, it activates a touchpad on it and a mouse in android so you can move around in apps
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:14 AM   #2012
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d SE (2011)

Quote:
I did not realize that mega was so bad. Here's a link on onedrive:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap4Tvs3SpQ_NoWhZ7Pv5wiTzHWdc
@_FRED_

Is your FW ROM any faster than the stock? I've messed around with different FW versions but have settled on the OEM one shipped with my unit (7.1.1 X3 F25 from AliExpress). I use Nova Launcher to go straight into a clean UI but also utilise Tasker to run some tweaks to allow this and still have BT and WIFI working.

Also you mentioned the brightness / auto dimming w/ headlight ssue - what are your thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 03:35 AM   #2013
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebigideas View Post
@_FRED_

Is your FW ROM any faster than the stock? I've messed around with different FW versions but have settled on the OEM one shipped with my unit (7.1.1 X3 F25 from AliExpress). I use Nova Launcher to go straight into a clean UI but also utilise Tasker to run some tweaks to allow this and still have BT and WIFI working.

Also you mentioned the brightness / auto dimming w/ headlight ssue - what are your thoughts on this?
It is a little faster since some applications in the background do not get killed anymore and don't have to restart every time. However startup time is not improved and my unit typically takes a minute or so after the launcher appears to "stabilize", as it does all sorts of background stuff at startup.

I have looked at the dimming stuff and it seems that auto dimming it's on top of the regular dimming stuff. E.g. you can send 100% brightness to the MCU (like the notification bar does), but the auto dimming comes on top of that and seems to be MCU only.

Now (part of the) MCU is probably a Renasas RL78 microprocessor with automotive functions (F series), since I've found java functions that communicate with this chip over a serial port connection that were named rl78_ something. I was planning on decoding / disassembling the firmware, but this will take some time as I'm totally unfamiliar with the chip and tools.

The nicest thing would be a software trigger (e.g. serial port command) to disable the auto dimming feature, but I'm not sure it's in the firmware.

I might go another way and putting a CAN bus filter / mask in between the CAN bus lines to filter out the light commands. If I build this around an Arduino I can also do other cool stuff on the CAN bus like opening / closing windows, fold mirrors, etc. all from software.

Now there are send CAN bus command functions in Eventcenter.apk that would maybe allow me to do this, but with an arduino I have more control.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:39 AM   #2014
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:

I looked at the dimming stuff and it seems that auto dimming it's on top of the regular dimming stuff. E.g. you can send 100% brightness to the MCU (like the notification bar does), but the auto dimming comes on top of that and seems to be MCU only.
I was wrong it seems! The MCU accepts a commands to set brightness with two values: a normal value and an NLightValue, which seems to be the value when the lights are on... It might be that the MCU decides to switch between these values, but you can set the NLightValue beforehand...
I'll try a patch where i set NLightValue to LightValue, effectively disabling the night mode.

Will report back.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #2015
Mitchellsx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by babagurgur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchellsx View Post
i really doubt they will have an update to add idrive in android apps

you are better off buying the $45 idrive knob replacement. looks like OEM but when you press it down, it activates a touchpad on it and a mouse in android so you can move around in apps
Do you know where I can get one of these from?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #2016
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep

Quote:
I was wrong it seems! The MCU accepts a commands to set brightness with two values: a normal value and an NLightValue, which seems to be the value when the lights are on... It might be that the MCU decides to switch between these values, but you can set the NLightValue beforehand...
I'll try a patch where i set NLightValue to LightValue, effectively disabling the night mode.

Will report back.
Wow, amazing effort and understanding. Thank you for your work! I have an old Mekede (AliExpress) unit which I managed to brick. Where are you based? I would more than happy to offer this unit to you to help facilitate your tests.

In an ideal world, the coding would be editable to allow something like Twilight APK to control when the screen dims, perhaps in combination with Tasker.

Looking forward to your thought!

BTW I run a 7.1.1 unit @ 8.8" for a BMW X3 F25, but I feel they all run on similar firmware anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #2017
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Wow, amazing effort and understanding. Thank you for your work! I have an old Mekede (AliExpress) unit which I managed to brick. Where are you based? I would more than happy to offer this unit to you to help facilitate your tests.

In an ideal world, the coding would be editable to allow something like Twilight APK to control when the screen dims, perhaps in combination with Tasker.

Looking forward to your thought!

BTW I run a 7.1.1 unit @ 8.8" for a BMW X3 F25, but I feel they all run on similar firmware anyway.
A test unit would probably help indeed. I'm pretty sure, if the boot loader still works, that I can unbrick it. I'll PM you with the address. I live in the Netherlands, should not be too expensive to send it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 09:54 AM   #2018
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep

Quote:
A test unit would probably help indeed. I'm pretty sure, if the boot loader still works, that I can unbrick it. I'll PM you with the address. I live in the Netherlands, should not be too expensive to send it.
It's all yours! I'll throw in some beers too if you can prevent the auto dimming feature - a whole crate if you can get Twilight to control the brightness!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #2019
__fred__
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Patches / patched eventcenter.apk sources can be found here:

https://github.com/jspuij/EventCenter.apk

Ideally somebody with more time would write an app that enables / disables features. I can do the smali patching.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #2020
Napas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f11 520d m

I have a BMW is a F11 2015 with NBT
I was thinking on buying one of the new Head units with Snapdragon 625 + 4GB + 64GB Rom with the new ID7 Android 9
Still a bit confuse if the updates are like my previous headunit from HA Dasaia on E46.

What is your feedback on the latest modules with android 8.0 and 8.1 Sound quality, radio reception and so on.
What is your opinion, does it worth it ?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #2021
gnone
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I have the 7.1 version of the headunit.
I’m wondering if there is any API so as to access vehicle sensor info from 3rd party apps.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 10:05 PM   #2022
luisavila
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

9018 dac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoljo View Post
The Hifime diy sabre 9018 dac has a headphone amp stage (tinydac does not) that brings the output impedance down. That is highly recommended for our BMWs, because the aux input impedance is not exactly the best. It seems like a nice choice! A step up would be the Cyrus SoundKey, but I doubt that it would make a huge difference.

If you buy and test the 9018 DAC, please tell us how it works!
plug the dac and did not manage to work correctly,
It does not automatically change the audio output.
should I modify something else in android?

I've only managed to use it with this music application, modifying its audio output to USB dac, it sounds great.

How to tell Android to send all its sound through USB DAC?

Last edited by luisavila; 05-08-2019 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:13 AM   #2023
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Patches / patched eventcenter.apk sources can be found here:

https://github.com/jspuij/EventCenter.apk

Ideally somebody with more time would write an app that enables / disables features. I can do the smali patching.
So I've been speaking to AliBaba wholesalers about the dimming issue. One of the main supplies of units has just told me their engineering team have found a workaround to prevent auto dimming, but only on units using Android 9.0 onward. They've stated that the units running any lower OS can't be changed. I will try to get more info from them on tech specs etc. Also @_fred_ pm me so I can send the old test unit to you. I'd love to able to help with coding but it's beyond my skillset.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #2024
cederron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F33

Quote:
@_FRED_

How do you use Tasker?, it gets killed by EventCenter every time..
Appreciate 0