F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Considering Dinan Shockware, BUT I really like "Comfort" setting as-is
proTUNING Freaks

06-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Considering Dinan Shockware, BUT I really like "Comfort" setting as-is

My local dealer (BMW of Little Rock) just became a Dinan dealer (again...they were in the past), and I'm considering adding the Shockware software update for my DHP equipped car now that it's $200. However, I understand it also modifies the existing Comfort mode, which I like as-is.

I looked and looked and looked for a DHP equipped car, for the presumed performance advantage in Sport mode but ALSO because I really wanted an option to dial out the harshness on long road trips, or even around town. My biggest complaint with BMW's DHP (and nearly every other similar system from various manufacturers) is that there is too little difference between modes. So in concept, modifying Sport to a more aggressive setup is perfect, but only if Comfort is left as-is.

I've read other's reviews saying it's not harsh, but even Dinan says they change Comfort to about the same level as existing Sport, which is sort of mind-boggling. Why not modify just Sport (or even Sport and Sport+) and leave Comfort as just that? I wish Dinan offered this as an option.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

I agree with you. I would consider Shockware if it left Comfort alone, which I'm fine with when traveling with passengers.

Didn't know they dropped the price on it... it's a lot more appealing to consider now.

Worst case, I'm sure you could remove it although that's money gone too...
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      06-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

My guess is it mounts inline with the current setup, so you everything gets stiffer (not just two of the three), so they can't selectively adjust each one.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
My guess is it mounts inline with the current setup, so you everything gets stiffer (not just two of the three), so they can't selectively adjust each one.
Hmmm....could be.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
My local dealer (BMW of Little Rock) just became a Dinan dealer (again...they were in the past), and I'm considering adding the Shockware software update for my DHP equipped car now that it's $200. However, I understand it also modifies the existing Comfort mode, which I like as-is.

I looked and looked and looked for a DHP equipped car, for the presumed performance advantage in Sport mode but ALSO because I really wanted an option to dial out the harshness on long road trips, or even around town. My biggest complaint with BMW's DHP (and nearly every other similar system from various manufacturers) is that there is too little difference between modes. So in concept, modifying Sport to a more aggressive setup is perfect, but only if Comfort is left as-is.

I've read other's reviews saying it's not harsh, but even Dinan says they change Comfort to about the same level as existing Sport, which is sort of mind-boggling. Why not modify just Sport (or even Sport and Sport+) and leave Comfort as just that? I wish Dinan offered this as an option.
Trust me, shockware is more comfortable than stock m adaptive settings.

I had a friend drive my car and he told me the car was much more comfortable than his without.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #6
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

I had a friend drive my car and he told me the car was much more comfortable than his without.
How can it be more comfortable if it's programmed to be more firm? Serious question! I'm only saying that because I think Comfort is more comfortable than Sport although I do like Sport over Comfort because it's more, well sportier...
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      06-19-2017, 01:37 AM   #7
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Good luck on your decision. If you enjoy what you have now, it's better not to change it. If you drive Comfort on long rides and even around town, when would you use sports chassis mode? on the occasional on ramp?

If you track/autoX, you'll want shockware to dial down the bouncy shocks.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      06-19-2017, 07:25 AM   #8
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
OP - have you contacted Dinan to determine whether it does or does not increase harshness in comfort mode? Making it "stiffer" doesn't necessarily translate to "harsher".

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
tgmsocal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6MT

Honestly after a few days with it you completely forget about the old comfort mode. Firmer but still very comfortable. Do it and don't look back!

-tgm
Appreciate 2
AudiA4647.50
sygazelle11417.50
      06-19-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post

I disagree. There are plenty of times I miss the old comfort mode (particularly when I'm driving off pavement around the ranch, or on the freeway with a ton of expansion joints), however, I love the increased firmness in sport mode (what I usually drive in).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

I've got a MY '14 with DHP and got Dinan Shockware a couple of years ago.

Huge positive difference. Don't worry that comfort mode will be too harsh. It is perfect. With Dinan Shockware, whats most noticeable is Comfort mode is no longer bouncy or porpoising over bumps. It's a bit stiffer than before but not harsh at all. If you really want to smile, get Dinan Shockware and also ditch the runflats. Together, its a completely different car. Go for it.

BTW, you are talking $200 here. If you don't like it, i think you can go back to stock. So the risk is low. But, don't worry. You won't look back.

Make the change and let us know how you like it.
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      06-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #12
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

With Dinan Shockware comfort mode is replaced with Sport and the Sport mode is a completely new program. Drive around in sport mode to see if you can tolerate it. In the new modes the car just feels more planted and less annoying to me than the constant bounce of the factory program.
Appreciate 2
AudiA4647.50
sygazelle11417.50
      06-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #13
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post

I think we even discussed this previously.. YES wish they wouldve left comfort alone and just gave us a stiffer sports.. no regrets not getting it though I 'd prefer not to f around with the adaptive damper's valves.. all things have a rating
Appreciate 1
AudiA4647.50
      06-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #14
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
With Dinan Shockware comfort mode is replaced with Sport and the Sport mode is a completely new program. Drive around in sport mode to see if you can tolerate it. In the new modes the car just feels more planted and less annoying to me than the constant bounce of the factory program.
I actually traded emails with a Dinan guy when I was considering Dinan Shockware. It was pretty new at the time. He said what you said. Comfort is Sport and Sport is something new. The car definitely feels more planted all the time. It's the best $500 (now $200) you can spend.

For me, the Dinan Shockware does not feel as stiff as my old Sport mode, but I have no way to compare. I'm sure the Dinan guy (and you) are right and I just have a bad memory. In any event Dinan Shockware Comfort is not harsh and the upgrade really improves the ride regardless of mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #15
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
I think we even discussed this previously.. YES wish they wouldve left comfort alone and just gave us a stiffer sports.. no regrets not getting it though I 'd prefer not to f around with the adaptive damper's valves.. all things have a rating
This is where it gets tough. For MY '14 cars with DHP, Comfort was soft and bouncy (porpoise-like). Dinan Shockware eliminated the bouncing. In 2015 and later, I'm thinking BMW changed something because the complaints about bouncy Comfort mode seemed to stop or diminish. If that's true, MY '14 owners may get a bigger improvement than '15 or newer. What I can say for sure is for MY '14, the improvement with Dinan Shockware is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2017, 09:38 PM   #16
Red_Baron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i

I have Shockware installed on my '16 340i Msport with the track and handling package including the 18" Pilot Super Sport tires.

Before the reprogramming, Comfort mode was intolerable to me. It was simultaneously under-sprung and under-damped. The chassis would take more than one motion to settle after a bump. I suspect that the elimination of these overshoot, ring and settle characteristics is what other posters mean by the new comfort mode being more comfortable. The stock comfort mode is inexcusable for a car optioned with more than 1 "sport" option package.

After the update, these secondary motions were eliminated without making the car rough riding in comfort mode. My opinion is that this is how the default f30 suspension should have been tuned for all models by default.

Sport mode after the Shockware reprogramming is noticeably firmer. Body roll is still there, but the rate of change to reach the eventual roll steady-state lean is far slower. It can be too firm on really choppy pavement.

Without shockware, I was experiencing buyers remorse and researching expensive remedies to fix it. None would have had a blue and white roundel on the hood.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #17
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
I have Shockware installed on my '16 340i Msport with the track and handling package including the 18" Pilot Super Sport tires.

Before the reprogramming, Comfort mode was intolerable to me. It was simultaneously under-sprung and under-damped. The chassis would take more than one motion to settle after a bump. I suspect that the elimination of these overshoot, ring and settle characteristics is what other posters mean by the new comfort mode being more comfortable. The stock comfort mode is inexcusable for a car optioned with more than 1 "sport" option package.

After the update, these secondary motions were eliminated without making the car rough riding in comfort mode. My opinion is that this is how the default f30 suspension should have been tuned for all models by default.

Sport mode after the Shockware reprogramming is noticeably firmer. Body roll is still there, but the rate of change to reach the eventual roll steady-state lean is far slower. It can be too firm on really choppy pavement.

Without shockware, I was experiencing buyers remorse and researching expensive remedies to fix it. None would have had a blue and white roundel on the hood.
So comfort is now sport, sport is now sport+, and sport+ is super firm now? My understanding is sport+ is a Dinan proprietary settings, what is your thoughts on that?

Your in Portland and I'm in Seattle and I agree with your assessment of comfort however going through downtown or Ballard every day to work the Comfort is more relaxed but it's far too under-damped for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #18
HKD126
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
So comfort is now sport, sport is now sport+, and sport+ is super firm now? My understanding is sport+ is a Dinan proprietary settings, what is your thoughts on that?

Your in Portland and I'm in Seattle and I agree with your assessment of comfort however going through downtown or Ballard every day to work the Comfort is more relaxed but it's far too under-damped for my liking.
No.

Comfort has been replaced with Sport and Sport and Sport + are replaced with the new Dinan program.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #19
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKD126 View Post
No.

Comfort has been replaced with Sport and Sport and Sport + are replaced with the new Dinan program.
I see there is actually only two shock setting eco/comfort and sport/sport+. For some reason I had assumed there was 3 settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #20
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
I see there is actually only two shock setting eco/comfort and sport/sport+. For some reason I had assumed there was 3 settings.
M-cars except the M2 have 3 settings. So maybe you got mixed up with those.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 11:09 PM   #21
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheran View Post
M-cars except the M2 have 3 settings. So maybe you got mixed up with those.
Probably why since before my 340i was an E92 M3 and had just assumed three settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #22
thisismikeyb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII

I recently upgraded to Shockware with my last oil change at 57k miles. I installed Dinan's springs 3 years ago with about 14k miles, along with the wider wheels and run flat tires that I am still using today. While I was over in Germany I didn't really think it was necessary, the roads there are much smoother. Here in Maryland, the car was a mess with all the undulations in the roads. I found myself switching to Sport Mode every time I had people in the car to just make it less bouncy and more comfortable.

The new Sport Mode is even better, the car feels more planted than before. It's the way the car should have come from the factory.

With that said, I've also driven quite a few loaner cars from the dealership, 2016 328i and 428GC, 2017 330i and 530i. All of them with xDrive, and I have to say the newer suspension setup is way better. Comfort mode in those cars reminds me of putting my 2014 in sport mode with stock springs.
2014 328i xDrive M-Sport EBII--M-Performance BBK/LSD/Aero--AA Signature Exhaust--Bilstein B6 DampTronic + Eibach Springs + H&R Swaybars + Millway Street Camber Plates + M3 Bump Stops + Dinan Shockware--Apex ARC-8 18x9.5et35+12mm Front Spacers w/Kumho Ecsta V730 275/35--FL-5/EC-7 18x8.5et35 w/Pilot Alpin PA4/Hakkapeliitta 10 Studded 245/45--BavSound Stage 1+Ghost Subs
Appreciate 0