F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Car things you used to do but wouldn’t now
proTUNING Freaks

10-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #67
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Repair your own punctures... The days of the inner tube.

Tyre levers and (for those who remember) the latest 'Tip-Top' patches.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:57 AM   #68
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Too much speed going on, it seems.

My old Viva would only just get over the speed limit. A4 out of Calne, up through Cherhill and past Yatesbury, 70mph (speed limit at the time) on a good day. With the wind behind me.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 11:00 AM   #69
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

I used to:
-Chop wires and attach them with a simple twist and some tape.
-Paint my own parts with rattle cans.
-Neglect to service my car
-Buy the cheapest tyres
-Wash my car with a sponge

I once tried to change the dials in my car and while the dials worked, I ruined the ribbon that showed the mileage on the display. I just left it.
      10-18-2021, 11:25 AM   #70
goram
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytejunkie View Post
swapped an exhaust. seriously, when was the last time you had to swap an exhaust on a car?
Cavalier SRi130.

What a car that was. Reckon it would've outdragged my 335d!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 01:15 PM   #71
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goram View Post
Cavalier SRi130.

What a car that was. Reckon it would've outdragged my 335d!
I had the Cavalier GSi 2000 16V, (name was a bit of a handful), as was getting off the mark in the wet.
Appreciate 1
goram89.00
      10-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #72
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Hitchhiking...

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1
1 AKY459.00
      10-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #73
lobeydosser
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d auto active suspension

Speaking of exhausts - anyone else repair a broken pipe with a tin can split down the side, embedded in Gun Gum, and held on with 2 Jubilee Clips?
Could last a fair few months if done right.
      10-19-2021, 02:39 AM   #74
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Repair your own punctures... The days of the inner tube.

Tyre levers and (for those who remember) the latest 'Tip-Top' patches.
I repaired a puncture just the other day using a tyre plug.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #75
Ennoch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobeydosser View Post
Speaking of exhausts - anyone else repair a broken pipe with a tin can split down the side, embedded in Gun Gum, and held on with 2 Jubilee Clips?
Could last a fair few months if done right.
I remember seeing that done with an Irn Bru can on an Arial at a track day many years ago. I've also patched a holed sump in the middle of nowhere with PU adhesive and a coke can.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #76
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Drove from the south side of Glasgow to Kingsholm in Gloucester in just over 4 hours a few years ago in a Ford Galaxy, though to be fair it was late at night and there wasn't much traffic.

In a similar vein I drove the A9 many moons ago in my Alfa GTA from Perth to Craigellachie in well under 2 hours, in the days before average speed cameras. The A95 section from Aviemore is an absolute hoot at night if you know the road well - unless of course the local wildlife is out for a wander, which happened to my boss when he hit a stag and trashed his E Class....
Appreciate 2
goram89.00
      10-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #77
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Drove from the south side of Glasgow to Kingsholm in Gloucester in just over 4 hours a few years ago in a Ford Galaxy, though to be fair it was late at night and there wasn't much traffic.

In a similar vein I drove the A9 many moons ago in my Alfa GTA from Perth to Craigellachie in well under 2 hours, in the days before average speed cameras. The A95 section from Aviemore is an absolute hoot at night if you know the road well - unless of course the local wildlife is out for a wander, which happened to my boss when he hit a stag and trashed his E Class....
Kingsholm! I hope that the drive home felt longer

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #78
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Remember the old clamshell petrol tanks? My 1972 Marina had one with a fatal dose of rust and it failed at the join, occasionally sloshing fuel onto the exhaust. My mates called it Fireball XL-5.....

Like isleaiw1 I was an impoverished student of the 80's so there often wasn't more than a couple of quid's worth in the tank thankfully.

One of my Uni pals was a dab hand with a welding torch so we emptied the tank, trimmed off the rust and he attempted to patch the leaks. Trouble was he'd forgotten to wash out the tank with detergent first and damn near blew himself up....

I think the most common substances on my car were Paddy Hopkirk Plastic Padding, fibreglass and Gun Gum. Being a 70's BL car most of the bits that were going to rust/fall off had already done that by 1979 when I acquired it for the princely sum of £350 from a friend of my dad's who owned a garage. We were done....
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:48 AM   #79
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Much like other posters, it's the long journeys that I can't imagine being so easy now. Far less ability to flex the journey time.

Gloucester to (around) Fort William or (around) Aviemore was a reasonably regular jaunt. 4/5am starts to get to get past Manchester/Warrington/Preston before traffic built up. Trundle around Glasgow and then those beautiful quiet roads like the A82 where you could really work out the car.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #80
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
European Rugby away game for Glasgow, I think we lost narrowly as the Warriors were in good form that season and the Cherry & Whites were a bit off colour. We played Bath the following season and that was another close run thing. One of my favourite away trips - ended up in the same pub as Lipman & most of the team who were on a mission to get as hammered as possible. Sat beside Matt Stevens who kept disappearing to the bog, returning with a smile on his face... Eliota Fuimaono-Sapulo was chatting up my missus, and as he's a psychotic 6-foot odd Samoan I decided to play it cool

Sad to see Bath fallen so far this season - that was some humping they got from Sarries at the weekend.

And it was nice to drive home to somewhere a bit more civilised
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 09:57 AM   #81
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
European Rugby away game for Glasgow, I think we lost narrowly as the Warriors were in good form that season and the Cherry & Whites were a bit off colour. We played Bath the following season and that was another close run thing. One of my favourite away trips - ended up in the same pub as Lipman & most of the team who were on a mission to get as hammered as possible. Sat beside Matt Stevens who kept disappearing to the bog, returning with a smile on his face... Eliota Fuimaono-Sapulo was chatting up my missus, and as he's a psychotic 6-foot odd Samoan I decided to play it cool

Sad to see Bath fallen so far this season - that was some humping they got from Sarries at the weekend.

Brilliant stuff. The European games were always a good night to be out in Gloucester - always far more pleasant than when it was just the locals out! Munster visiting was always a highlight. Euro rugby, night out in Gloucester, no rugby, night out in Cheltenham.

Tough to shed any tears for Bath, the original moneyed rugby club buying success (I might be biased) without any of the proper support that the real big clubs had

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #82
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:

Ah Rugby, game played by men (and women) with funny shaped balls.

And Union, where they need 15 to do what League can do with 13...

(I know nothing about rugby, it was legalised bullying when I played it at school and I never made it past minute 10 before being sent inside for fighting....)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:05 AM   #83
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:

Ah Rugby, game played by men (and women) with funny shaped balls.

And Union, where they need 15 to do what League can do with 13...

(I know nothing about rugby, it was legalised bullying when I played it at school and I never made it past minute 10 before being sent inside for fighting....)
League

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #84
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
League
To be fair, it was the influence of ex-league guys that gave the Union guys a boot up the chuff when it came to fitness, strength & conditioning.

I knew Gary Mercer quite well when he was at Warriors, he coached at my son's club & school where his boy Zach (who has now moved from Bath to Montpellier) also played. Zach was a beast, playing in the school/club U18 when he was barely 16 - definitely took after his old man who was built like a brick shithouse. Gary played for all the big League sides in England, as well as for Bay of Plenty and both the Maoris & Kiwi national League sides.

He was always very dismissive of the 'soft' union players, and encouraged a lot of the promising young club & school players to build bulk & strength - given the way the game has gone in recent years, particularly with respect to concussions, I'm not sure that was a good path to take....
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 10:30 AM   #85
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
League
To be fair, it was the influence of ex-league guys that gave the Union guys a boot up the chuff when it came to fitness, strength & conditioning.

I knew Gary Mercer quite well when he was at Warriors, he coached at my son's club & school where his boy Zach (who has now moved from Bath to Montpellier) also played. Zach was a beast, playing in the school/club U18 when he was barely 16 - definitely took after his old man who was built like a brick shithouse. Gary played for all the big League sides in England, as well as for Bay of Plenty and both the Maoris & Kiwi national League sides.

He was always very dismissive of the 'soft' union players, and encouraged a lot of the promising young club & school players to build bulk & strength - given the way the game has gone in recent years, particularly with respect to concussions, I'm not sure that was a good path to take....
VERY good points and interesting insight.

Union fitness was very poor and the transition from amateur to pro was an interesting period. It seemed to take a long time for true professionalism to come through, as you say sadly not with the best consequences.

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #86
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
League
I dont understand any of it, but I did used to drink in the pub in Huddersfield where the Rugby League was formed, and I have watched Leeds Rhinos a couple of times with friends because the beers before and after were fun!

Besides League is a Northern sport so bound to be better!

Appreciate 1
      10-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #87
MrManor
Captain
Gambia
Rep
Drives: Fiat Stilo estate mapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I dont understand any of it, but I did used to drink in the pub in Huddersfield where the Rugby League was formed, and I have watched Leeds Rhinos a couple of times with friends because the beers before and after were fun!

Besides League is a Northern sport so bound to be better!

League is huge round here and I’m pretty much sandwiched between St Helens and Widnes, I have a couple of mates and family who are ex professional and I haven’t got the foggiest about the rules and have zero interest in egg chasing.

Try asking them why there’s 2 versions if you want to trigger somebody for shits and giggles
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #88
TiredGeek
Old Fart
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335dx F31 Shadow EB

Setting cruise control to 95mph on the M62 at Leeds and not turning it off again until stopping for fuel in Inverness.
Overtaking things on the A9.

Those were the days