F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Serious paint defects 4000 miles in.
Extreme Powerhouse

05-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #23
Pequin
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueislander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've just noticed I've got some bad swirls on a patch of my bonnet. I'm raging.
To quote the conversation that I had with the service advisor:

Me - "Please, please do not wash my car, I have a ceramic coating on there and it has had a stage 1 polish and therefore is scratch free"

Them - "It is hard to get the wash bay not to wash cars, I will do my best but I cannot promise anything"

Me - "I have printed off 2 DO NOT WASH signs in bold large font and in red"

Them - It probably won't make any difference, believe me"

Me - "Well, as it says on the GTecniq mirror tag that I have in the car - You may have to pay for rectification work"

Them - "Laughs"

Unreal.
My car had a twelve month wax coating and a stage one polish recently. It looks like shit now that I've had a good look.

I'm convinced this is bmw but how the hell I prove it I don't know. They had the car two weeks ago.
Did you do it? If not, I'm sure your retailer would happily write a letter.
No what I mean is the work was fine and a couple of months ago. It seems to be since bmw got hold of it they've caused issues.

I'm more bothered right now by the bonnet edge damage from blades but will show them it all tomorrow
It's a tricky one, just stick to your guns. The problem is that when they offer to put it right, they use their own valeters
      05-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #24
Nart
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
I've just noticed I've got some bad swirls on a patch of my bonnet. I'm raging.

Me - "Please, please do not wash my car, I have a ceramic coating on there and it has had a stage 1 polish and therefore is scratch free"

Them - "It is hard to get the wash bay not to wash cars, I will do my best but I cannot promise anything"

Me - "Well, as it says on the GTecniq mirror tag that I have in the car - You may have to pay for rectification work"

Them - "Laughs"

Unreal.
This makes my blood boil. I dread the day I have to take it in for its first service or whatever else. I'm probably going to plaster the whole car with DO NOT F***** WASH!! print-outs.

Mine has never been to a carwash and I intend to keep it that way. Jokers!
      05-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #25
RobUK
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Quite frankly that is UNACCEPTABLE. Essentially what they are saying is that there is no way they can control their staff and there is no way they can see to it that a customer's request is observed.

Can you imagine the dealership having a large sign on the door as you walk in stating as much. They'd go out of business! Do these wankers ever stop to think what they're saying?

05-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #26
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M4 CP/330e/Boxster S

The wiper damage could be caused by the wiper being lifted in the service position and then someone opening the bonnet before lowering them perhaps.

I did this myself on a previous car and was in a bad mood for ages after seeing the mess it caused.
Pequin179.00

05-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #27
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nart View Post
This makes my blood boil. I dread the day I have to take it in for its first service or whatever else. I'm probably going to plaster the whole car with DO NOT F***** WASH!! print-outs.

Mine has never been to a carwash and I intend to keep it that way. Jokers!
I was told the cleaners don't speak English by a manager at Stephen James so the print out was useless on my car
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #28
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I know what id have done.

Cant post it on here though for fear of the dealer fanbois coming and telling me that you should bend over and let them screw you after the obviously great job they did and that damage must be your fault.

I mean these dealers are supposed to be our friends who do things for us because they like us.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #29
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
I know what id have done.

Cant post it on here though for fear of the dealer fanbois coming and telling me that you should bend over and let them screw you after the obviously great job they did and that damage must be your fault.

I mean these dealers are supposed to be our friends who do things for us because they like us.
Let's not turn this into a thread regarding your gripes with other users please
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #30
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
If they did that to my car there would be hell to pay. Especially if i bought it new.

Sounds like a really shit stealer.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #31
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
Quote:
If they did that to my car there would be hell to pay. Especially if i bought it new.

Sounds like a really shit stealer.
It's the valet guys, it happens.

It's how they rectify it that I care about.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #32
Pequin
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Quote:
Quite frankly that is UNACCEPTABLE. Essentially what they are saying is that there is no way they can control their staff and there is no way they can see to it that a customer's request is observed.

Can you imagine the dealership having a large sign on the door as you walk in stating as much. They'd go out of business! Do these wankers ever stop to think what they're saying?
I completely agree, it is similar to the response - They will do the MOT but I can't guarantee that they won't scratch your car. In fact it is exactly the same.
      05-20-2019, 03:06 AM   #33
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Took it in first thing. Service guy was a massively dismissive prick. Service manager no better.

Simply put they won't do anything, it isn't their fault, they don't lift wiper blades when they wash and two weeks is too long and it could have been anything.

They offered a discount on a repair "out of kindness" but said it wasn't an admission of guilt.

I got the aftersales managers email. I'm going to go to him, and cc in the dealer principle if I can get his details, plus BMW customer services and FS. If they'd spoken to me politely I'd have been more inclined to work with them but they were both arseholes and I'll never take my car there for a service.

See how this goes eh.... Wonder if they have cctv that goes back?
Appreciate 2
Wills24460.00
Pequin179.00

05-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #34
Pequin
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Took it in first thing. Service guy was a massively dismissive prick. Service manager no better.

Simply put they won't do anything, it isn't their fault, they don't lift wiper blades when they wash and two weeks is too long and it could have been anything.

They offered a discount on a repair "out of kindness" but said it wasn't an admission of guilt.

I got the aftersales managers email. I'm going to go to him, and cc in the dealer principle if I can get his details, plus BMW customer services and FS. If they'd spoken to me politely I'd have been more inclined to work with them but they were both arseholes and I'll never take my car there for a service.

See how this goes eh.... Wonder if they have cctv that goes back?
Sadly unacceptable, if E-making/speaking to their service Manager and or head of business gets you nowhere. BMW UK can step in sometimes, worth a call?

0800 325 6000
      05-20-2019, 06:50 AM   #35
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sadly unacceptable, if E-making/speaking to their service Manager and or head of business gets you nowhere. BMW UK can step in sometimes, worth a call?

0800 325 6000
Yup, am thinking the same. I have the Head of UK's email address... he's getting cc'd.

I won't take it to them for any work or service now. I won't use them if I ever decide to go to the next M4 (natural step in 5/6 years I think), and I will tell anyone I can not to use them.

Accidents happen, but the way they have been is not okay.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #36
ian332isport
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I don't use it personally, but I believe social media is also good weapon in the fight against poor service these days.

Maybe worth mentioning social media in some of your communication with them, as that alone could change the outcome. Nobody likes bad press
Appreciate 2
Pequin179.00

05-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #37
AyrshireColin
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335D

Call me the unpopular voice of reason.

I can 100% see where the dealer is coming from. A customer comes to you 2 weeks after you had their car and says 'you've damaged my car'......you would immediately think 'and where have you been for 2 weeks?!?'.

It's a very tough one and obviously you're pissed off but there are always 2 sides to every argument.

I know that my opinion is just that but also you've went from not even knowing that your wipers had to be put into service mode to lift to the dealer never put my wipers into service mode and they caused this damage.......internet forums can be wonderful things but they can also be terrible things when it comes to stoking a fire!
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #38
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyrshireColin View Post

I can 100% see where the dealer is coming from. A customer comes to you 2 weeks after you had their car and says 'you've damaged my car'......you would immediately think 'and where have you been for 2 weeks?!?'.

It's a very tough one and obviously you're pissed off but there are always 2 sides to every argument.

I know that my opinion is just that but also you've went from not even knowing that your wipers had to be put into service mode to lift to the dealer never put my wipers into service mode and they caused this damage.......internet forums can be wonderful things but they can also be terrible things when it comes to stoking a fire!
Understand, and I am a level headed guy. My car has been protected and only ever worked on by one person, who does a lot of M cars etc. I only saw the damage because I sat up in my car while doing the interior on Sunday.

I take a lot of pics of my car (new car love!) and I can see even three weeks ago there was no damage. In my head, I see why they would be dismissive, but knowing how my car is looked after, it's very clear how it was done.

Moreover, the attitude stunk. That's what has irked me more.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #39
ciscopete822
Captain
Rep
Drives: S5 , RS5 , Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1077 View Post
I was told the cleaners don't speak English by a manager at Stephen James so the print out was useless on my car
no worries , most of them are Polls anyway - just print this out

"nie myj samochodu, kretynie"

Last edited by ciscopete822; 05-20-2019 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 10:01 AM   #40
OneExtra
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Competition Pack

Quote:

Them - "Laughs"

Unreal.
Why did you leave it with them if that was their attitude? I would have said goodbye and left.

Have you tried BMW Cotswold in Cheltenham as they have been excellent with me and always don't wash the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #41
un1eash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

It's got to the point where you need hidden cameras and to take pictures all round the car before handing it over.
I got my M140i back from recall work and straight away could see it had been in sports mode the whole time they had it, and they washed it even though I said not to.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 12:55 PM   #42
Pequin
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I think the OP's lack of knowledge regarding service mode of the wipers does t detract from the 99.5% certainty that the cause of the bonnet edge was down to precisely that. As you say forums can provide useful support. To be honest, it took me 1 week to notice the damage to mine. My dealer was very accommodating and I know that the level of corrosion was deemed to be older than one week.

Sadly, the OP can't prove they did and BMW can't prove they didn't. On balance, for the sake of a sorry and rectification, if I were the dealer I'd write off the £25 or so it would cost to rectify in the name of customer service.
      05-20-2019, 01:25 PM   #43
blueislander
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think the OP's lack of knowledge regarding service mode of the wipers does t detract from the 99.5% certainty that the cause of the bonnet edge was down to precisely that. As you say forums can provide useful support. To be honest, it took me 1 week to notice the damage to mine. My dealer was very accommodating and I know that the level of corrosion was deemed to be older than one week.

Sadly, the OP can't prove they did and BMW can't prove they didn't. On balance, for the sake of a sorry and rectification, if I were the dealer I'd write off the £25 or so it would cost to rectify in the name of customer service.
Most galling is I have BSM touch up paint and it won't get the job done.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 01:29 PM   #44
Pequin
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Most galling is I have BSM touch up paint and it won't get the job done.
So frustrating, the car is only 5 months old and their attitude is pathetic. It is so annoying that they don't JFDI, escalate and stick to your guns, it is no loss to them but you can cause issues via reviews and forums.