F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Question Time with Fiona Bruce
Studio RSR

01-12-2019, 06:39 AM   #1
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Question Time with Fiona Bruce

I had pretty much given up on Question Time. With Dimbleby in the chair, it descended into a shouting match. He was a good 10 years past his sell-by date. After reading a few positive reviews of the first episode with Fiona Bruce, I watched it on iPlayer. She did a superb job. James Cleverley (Tory) tried to avoid spelling out the plan B (since there isn't one) for when May's deal fails, but was completely cornered. Similarly, Emily Thornberry's defence of Labour's position on Brexit was shown to be completely lacking in substance or logic.

This was a fine example of hypocrites being outed. I recommend watching the last episode on iPlayer, and I hope that Fiona Bruce keeps up the performance. Question Time is suddenly a lot more interesting.
Appreciate 2
mikeoz2856.00
      01-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #2
Scaleybrat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M Sport (now gone)

I haven’t watched it but heard some of the sound bites. I agree that Dimbleby was well past his sell by date and Bruce appears to have had a great start. Got me thinking though. How long before potential ‘guests’ start to decline the opportunity for fear of being exposed as the incompetent they are? When that starts happening, how long before BBC pull the reins in on Fiona?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaleybrat View Post
I haven’t watched it but heard some of the sound bites. I agree that Dimbleby was well past his sell by date and Bruce appears to have had a great start. Got me thinking though. How long before potential ‘guests’ start to decline the opportunity for fear of being exposed as the incompetent they are? When that starts happening, how long before BBC pull the reins in on Fiona?
I agree - there is a risk that senior politicians will try and avoid it. To some extent that already tended to happen - few Secretaries of State would appear. But politicians are often by their nature vain and self-promoting, so I doubt that they could all resist the urge to show us how special they are! The fear of fielding a weak player against a stronger opponent will hopefully ensure that parties send someone significant to represent them.

Fiona Bruce wasn't hostile and didn't shout over them, she just knew her subject and had prepared. Long may it continue!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #4
Olddriver60
Olddriver60
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F44 218i sport GC Auto

I would agree, Fiona Bruce seemed much more measured and the audience had more opportunity for questions, David Dimbleby I always thought rude, it grated on me that he would point out a member of the audience as "yes you the woman in blue" rather than the lady in blue, maybe just me being old fashioned but it annoyed me every time I watched the programme.

Here's hoping Ms Bruce continues with the standard shown in her debut
      01-12-2019, 08:18 AM   #5
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I disagree regarding David Dimbleby - there were some heated debates but he knew when to close them down and bring them back on point.

The first week as the QT Chair would be a challenge after a host who was in the seat for 25 years, and although Fiona Bruce did a reasonable job I think she's got to get into her groove quickly.

Personally I felt that she talked over the panel a lot and stifled the discussions. Some of the panel members looked pretty fed up with it, but she did at least hold Cleverly and Thornberry to account and cut-through their empty statements. Both clearly realised that they had nothing of substance regarding key aspects of the points that they were trying to make.

The biggest positive for me was the obvious lack if support in the room for Labour and the lack of trust for Corbyn. Quite right too.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I disagree regarding David Dimbleby - there were some heated debates but he knew when to close them down and bring them back on point.

The first week as the QT Chair would be a challenge after a host who was in the seat for 25 years, and although Fiona Bruce did a reasonable job I think she's got to get into her groove quickly.

Personally I felt that she talked over the panel a lot and stifled the discussions. Some of the panel members looked pretty fed up with it, but she did at least hold Cleverly and Thornberry to account and cut-through their empty statements. Both clearly realised that they had nothing of substance regarding key aspects of the points that they were trying to make.

The biggest positive for me was the obvious lack if support in the room for Labour and the lack of trust for Corbyn. Quite right too.
I used to think that Dimbleby did the job pretty well, some years ago. I don’t know whether his decline (in my eyes at least) was down to ageing, or perhaps he’s less suited to the increasingly hostile polarised debate which has happened over the last few years. I certainly found QT pretty unwatchable recently, so I’m surprised that you think he was chairing well.

As you say, Labour have a major problem. The deliberately ambiguous Brexit position, which has allowed them to pretend to be all things to all men, is coming unstuck. When May’s deal fails on Tuesday, it’s time for Labour to sh1t or get off the pot, as an army friend was fond of saying...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #7
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I used to think that Dimbleby did the job pretty well, some years ago. I don’t know whether his decline (in my eyes at least) was down to ageing, or perhaps he’s less suited to the increasingly hostile polarised debate which has happened over the last few years. I certainly found QT pretty unwatchable recently, so I’m surprised that you think he was chairing well.

As you say, Labour have a major problem. The deliberately ambiguous Brexit position, which has allowed them to pretend to be all things to all men, is coming unstuck. When May’s deal fails on Tuesday, it’s time for Labour to sh1t or get off the pot, as an army friend was fond of saying...
I don't think they can shift as they dont have a plan A
Appreciate 0