F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unichip CarPlay
Extreme Powerhouse

10-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #45
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgambino View Post
Sounds awesome! And i am pumped that you are in Canada as that might potentially make this even more cost effective for me as far as shipping costs go.
When will you have a comprehensive video showing all the features on a car with HU_ENTRY and more importantly when are they available for sale and what is the cost?
One other question, with CarPlay can you screen mirror or have video playing from netflix or youtube? I imagine some fancy jailbreaking of iphone is likely required, sorry for being a noob
The video will be based on HU_NBT but I'll see if I can also have another one done HU_ENTRY once we get this to work on our test bench.

As for video playback, it would not be possible as CarPlay was not designed for that purpose. This would be a limitation set by Apple
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 12:28 PM   #46
ttxuky
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 316d

Steve, Can you send me a pm with the price with shipping to Spain? I´m very interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve@codemybimmer View Post
You just brought up a very interesting test case. It might actually still be possible to have turn by turn directions on the HUD while listening to CarPlay. I'll see if I can test that and report back.

As for pricing, we cannot post that here due to forum rules so you can either PM me directly or wait until we have the corresponding commercial thread in the sponsorship classified section.

Yes, we're still on track with 2nd week of November. Right now, we're sorting out some compatibility issues with iOS 11 with the manufacturer but we will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 01:15 PM   #47
fonsi111
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw 318D touring f31

Hi:
I’m also interested from Spain. I appreciate to receive a pm with the info

I have a couple of questions:

Does it have rear camera lines that moves with steering and connects with rear gear?

Does it have another av-in? How much av-in? How can you select different inputs?

Does it have its own micro, or uses the car micro?

Thank you so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttxuky View Post
Steve, Can you send me a pm with the price with shipping to Spain? I´m very interested
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 11:00 PM   #48
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i xDrive Conv. (F33)

Quote:
You just brought up a very interesting test case. It might actually still be possible to have turn by turn directions on the HUD while listening to CarPlay. I'll see if I can test that and report back.

As for pricing, we cannot post that here due to forum rules so you can either PM me directly or wait until we have the corresponding commercial thread in the sponsorship classified section.

Yes, we're still on track with 2nd week of November. Right now, we're sorting out some compatibility issues with iOS 11 with the manufacturer but we will keep you posted.
Thanks Steve, appreciate you checking out that test case, and appreciate the info. Let us know what you find.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:10 PM   #49
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttxuky View Post
PM sent.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:12 PM   #50
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonsi111 View Post
Hi:
I’m also interested from Spain. I appreciate to receive a pm with the info

I have a couple of questions:

Does it have rear camera lines that moves with steering and connects with rear gear?

Does it have another av-in? How much av-in? How can you select different inputs?

Thank you so much

No

Yes but I do not believe it serves any purpose as the manufacturer has not mentioned any specs about that as of yet.

Not sure what you mean by Micro
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:17 PM   #51
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
Thanks Steve, appreciate you checking out that test case, and appreciate the info. Let us know what you find.
So if you have the BMW Nav running, yes you will be able hear turn by turn instructions given by the BMW nav while listening to music via CarPlay. It does not however, work the other way around.

I worked with the engineers from the company and they were able to provide us with a patch that fixes the iOS 11 compatibility issue and I can now confirm that it is fully running on my iPhone 8 Plus. We have been assured that the upcoming shipment will have this patch implemented and we will be testing each unit on our bench prior to sending to customers.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #52
fonsi111
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: Bmw 318D touring f31

Hi:
Thank you for the answers.

I mean microphone. How do you talk with Siri?

Please, send me a pm with the info for shoping and shipping.

Thanks

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by Micro
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 12:45 PM   #53
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
So if you have the BMW Nav running, yes you will be able hear turn by turn instructions given by the BMW nav while listening to music via CarPlay. It does not however, work the other way around.

I worked with the engineers from the company and they were able to provide us with a patch that fixes the iOS 11 compatibility issue and I can now confirm that it is fully running on my iPhone 8 Plus. We have been assured that the upcoming shipment will have this patch implemented and we will be testing each unit on our bench prior to sending to customers.
Not 100% sure what you mean by not working the other way around. Does this mean the following:
  • Switch to CarPlay interface, start playing audio, switch to NBT interface, start Nav, and turn-by-turn CAN be heard while CarPlay audio continues to play?
  • Switch to NBT interface, start Nav, switch to CarPlay interface, start playing audio, and turn-by-turn CAN NOT be heard while CarPlay audio continues to play?

Two other questions:

I saw mention of this earlier in the thread, but did you confirm that if you're in the CarPlay interface and the car is put in reverse, will the display input automatically switch back to NBT to put the cameras on-screen?

Do you need to install/mount a USB cable/jack somewhere in the car to plug into this unit? If so, can a phone be connected to this unit via USB, and be connected to NBT via Bluetooth at the same time? Not sure if I really need this, but curious more than anything.

Thanks again Steve!

Last edited by torqueflite; 10-22-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #54
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not 100% sure what you mean by not working the other way around. Does this mean the following:
  • Switch to CarPlay interface, start playing audio, switch to NBT interface, start Nav, and turn-by-turn CAN be heard while CarPlay audio continues to play?
  • Switch to NBT interface, start Nav, switch to CarPlay interface, start playing audio, and turn-by-turn CAN NOT be heard while CarPlay audio continues to play?

Two other questions:

I saw mention of this earlier in the thread, but did you confirm that if you're in the CarPlay interface and the car is put in reverse, will the display input automatically switch back to NBT to put the cameras on-screen?

Do you need to install/mount a USB cable/jack somewhere in the car to plug into this unit? If so, can a phone be connected to this unit via USB, and be connected to NBT via Bluetooth at the same time? Not sure if I really need this, but curious more than anything.

Thanks again Steve!
By other way around, I meant that if you start Navigation on Apple Maps via CarPlay, the directions cannot be heard when you switch back to NBT.

As for your other questions, yes if you put the vehicle into reverse it will display your factory backup camera instead. On our 2013 test vehicle, it is not equipped with PDC or reverse cam but as soon as we put it into reverse, it switches back to the NBT interface.

The MMI box uses a separate USB port to connect your iPhone to the MMI box and the cable is long enough for you to either run the port to the glovebox or centre console. I left mine hanging out on the side of the passenger side right beside the hump. You can the phone connected to both Bluetooth and CarPlay over uSB at the same time, but it will get confused on where to route the audio to so the best thing to do would be to turn off Bluetooth on your device before connecting your phone to use CarPlay via USB.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #55
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
By other way around, I meant that if you start Navigation on Apple Maps via CarPlay, the directions cannot be heard when you switch back to NBT.

As for your other questions, yes if you put the vehicle into reverse it will display your factory backup camera instead. On our 2013 test vehicle, it is not equipped with PDC or reverse cam but as soon as we put it into reverse, it switches back to the NBT interface.

The MMI box uses a separate USB port to connect your iPhone to the MMI box and the cable is long enough for you to either run the port to the glovebox or centre console. I left mine hanging out on the side of the passenger side right beside the hump. You can the phone connected to both Bluetooth and CarPlay over uSB at the same time, but it will get confused on where to route the audio to so the best thing to do would be to turn off Bluetooth on your device before connecting your phone to use CarPlay via USB.

Hope this helps!
Great info all around Steve... thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 04:43 PM   #56
baile508
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xDrive

Garage List
Can you send me a PM of the price and how to buy? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:57 PM   #57
chazmink
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Subscribe

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #58
mmfdavis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I'm very interested, Please PM on price and how to order!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2017, 01:33 AM   #59
seancarlin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Pm me as well please Steve
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 02:38 AM   #60
erwinscastillo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 (320d M Sport)

Hi Steve et al,

I’m in the UK and installed the Unichip solution in my 2014 F30 with CIC, in principle it works ok as it supports every function and the system is super responsive (I agree with Steve, USB is the way to go).

The one problem I’m having is that the system messed up the car sound a bit, there’s a lot of static/electric noise eating all the sound (even when Iuse. The legacy aux/usb ports of the car). I don’t know if it’s because of a bad connection or cable/box placement. I placed the box right under the CIC unit because I have space there.

Can anybody provide some feedback regarding a similar issue and how tofix it?

Thanks in advance.

Erwins
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 12:08 PM   #61
fmonteiro444
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Can I get a price too?

23 M3 Competition - Stock
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #62
torqueflite
Enlisted Member
Rep

Steve, another question that I just thought of re-reading your posts: does (or will) the OEM claim support for iPhone X?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 03:54 PM   #63
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Steve, another question that I just thought of re-reading your posts: does (or will) the OEM claim support for iPhone X?
It works on iOS 11 so it should not be an issue. My iPhone X is coming in Friday so I'll be sure to let you know

The shipment arrived yesterday and we will be able to accept orders directly on our store next week after we test the batch to ensure that each unit has the latest firmware.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #64
cirexsoft
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xdrive

Unichip

Hi Steve, I am in Toronto. Can you PM me pricing.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #65
mattwong92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sedan

Just ordered mine directly from Unichip! I'll post an install and review on the forum when I get mine installed.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #66
erwinscastillo
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 (320d M Sport)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwong92 View Post
Just ordered mine directly from Unichip! I'll post an install and review on the forum when I get mine installed.

Thanks!
Very interested on your feedback. As said a few posts ago I installed it on my F30 and it works great but I must have a problem with grounding or something because it has made my system all noisy.
Appreciate 0