F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Ordered Hawk 5.0 front pads but they don't have the little holding arms...
GetBMWParts

03-27-2022, 07:32 AM   #1
GENAU
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Ordered Hawk 5.0 front pads but they don't have the little holding arms...

So I ordered these front pads from Tirerack at this forums suggestion, but they don't have the little arms that the spring holds onto. However; they do have the small holes implying that there are to be arms mounted to them. I haven't found any of the arms for sale anywhere. Was I supposed to remove them from the old pads? Did I order the wrong pads?

Last edited by GENAU; 03-27-2022 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 09:00 AM   #2
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

The correct pads should look like this (for M Brakes).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
danb19791897.00
      03-27-2022, 10:32 AM   #3
GENAU
Private
Rep

do the non-M front brakes appear very similar but without the "things" -- I may have just been dumb and not ordered the correct pads. Its somehow difficult Since my calipers are gray. I assumed those to be the non-m, not realizing that they are in fact the dual piston Ms?

Yeah these are what I ordered: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hawk-par...hb765b.664~hk/

On Tirerack they fit my car, on ECS they do not.

Edit pt2: I'm unable to find these at any reasonable cost. Are they ~$350 for front pads alone or am is there a gas leak in my house? I'm leaning towards the latter as there is no possible way pads for the street can be so expensive.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hawk-par.../hb765b.664kt/

I may just have to have Hawk 5.0 for my rears and something completely different in the front. That's disappointing.

Last edited by GENAU; 03-27-2022 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 11:13 AM   #4
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I don't see the 440i on their list for those pads. They list pads for the 440i, but not Hawk.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 07:41 PM   #5
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

I found F32 440i and 440xi listed
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 11:18 PM   #6
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
From what I have seen online, hawk don’t ever have the counterweights. Hope that helps

A few OEM+ mods:
MTech front bumper, MSport wheel & handbrake, 4AD trim, full rear shades, more to come…
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
GENAU
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I don't see the 440i on their list for those pads. They list pads for the 440i, but not Hawk.
They don't list it but tirerack wrongly listed it as applicable. I'm filing a return through them right now and ordered the Akebono Euro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
From what I have seen online, hawk don’t ever have the counterweights. Hope that helps
They do make them but they're crazy expensive.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 07:51 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENAU View Post
tirerack wrongly listed it as applicable.
That's not unusual. I get the OEM part number at realoem.com. I plug that in at the website for the manufacturer I'm interested in to get their part number, then google that part number to find the seller with the lowest price.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #9
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizukachan View Post
Mine came with the arm weights attached, as shown in my photo above. (Pads still shrink-wrapped). My Front & Rear Hawk 5.0 pads set was less than $300 combined for my M Brakes.

AFAIK, the fronts fit either the grey or blue Brembos, but there’s a different rear set for grey vs blue. I have no idea why you’re finding these Hawk 5.0 street pads without the arms attached. I thought only the Hawk race pads were sold without arms.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 06:42 AM   #10
GENAU
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
That's not unusual. I get the OEM part number at realoem.com. I plug that in at the website for the manufacturer I'm interested in to get their part number, then google that part number to find the seller with the lowest price.
I don't entirely blame them for it either to be honest. I guess that I have the two piston M-sport front brakes, but the standard rear brakes? Technically they could have been right and this would have been correct for a 440ix with "standard" front brakes? I'm honestly lost on what is standard and M-sport at this point. I thought having the front and rear gray calipers meant I had standard single piston front brakes but I guess that wasn't true.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 12:49 AM   #11
F36_Ferris
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 440i Xdrive GC

Garage List
Quote:
I don't entirely blame them for it either to be honest. I guess that I have the two piston M-sport front brakes, but the standard rear brakes? Technically they could have been right and this would have been correct for a 440ix with "standard" front brakes? I'm honestly lost on what is standard and M-sport at this point. I thought having the front and rear gray calipers meant I had standard single piston front brakes but I guess that wasn't true.
Was this ever figured out?

I have the same part number hawk 5.0 pads and plan on doing the install Friday however I just noticed they don't have the counter weights.

Did they work for you?

I have the 370mm front disks with blue 4 pistons brembo
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:23 PM   #12
boyerstyle
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Garage List
2014 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Just as a refresh I had the same issue. Tire rack recommended pads to me, 765B.664, same ones recommended on the forum but no counter weights.. so confusing. They are same size, fit in the calipers but are lacking those arms and can’t fit the rattle clip as a result too.
      10-11-2023, 12:13 PM   #13
Crispydips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerstyle View Post
Just as a refresh I had the same issue. Tire rack recommended pads to me, 765B.664, same ones recommended on the forum but no counter weights.. so confusing. They are same size, fit in the calipers but are lacking those arms and can’t fit the rattle clip as a result too.
Just installed my hawk pads yesterday, and mine also did not come with the counterweights. I was still able to fit the rattle clips in fine though. MAJOR squeaking, however I'm hoping it's because the still need to be broken in and bedded since I just installed them yesterday. I know the counterweights supposedly help with noise reduction as well, anyone know where I can buy some for hawk pads?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 09:59 PM   #14
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
They don't list it but tirerack wrongly listed it as applicable. I'm filing a return through them right now and ordered the Akebono Euro.

They do make them but they're crazy expensive.
Hawk expensive? My oh my. So innocent.
      10-11-2023, 10:04 PM   #15
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispydips View Post
Just installed my hawk pads yesterday, and mine also did not come with the counterweights. I was still able to fit the rattle clips in fine though. MAJOR squeaking, however I'm hoping it's because the still need to be broken in and bedded since I just installed them yesterday. I know the counterweights supposedly help with noise reduction as well, anyone know where I can buy some for hawk pads?
I've had success with Permatex 24127 Silicone Ceramic Brake Lubricant, Orange. I've used the Hawk paste and . . . what do you know? Squeal-o the wonder brakes. To be fair to Hawk, they likely package the same grease for all their brake pads but with so many variations in design, finding the right magic no-squeal for one's car can take a bit of trial an error.
      10-11-2023, 10:28 PM   #16
Crispydips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
I've had success with Permatex 24127 Silicone Ceramic Brake Lubricant, Orange. I've used the Hawk paste and . . . what do you know? Squeal-o the wonder brakes. To be fair to Hawk, they likely package the same grease for all their brake pads but with so many variations in design, finding the right magic no-squeal for one's car can take a bit of trial an error.
I’m gonna try and apply this stuff tmrw then, because it’s pretty bad. I need to take a video of the noise, this is my first time driving a car with new pads so I’m unsure of what’s considered normal and what’s not. Granted it’s only at slow stop and go speeds, and I know “performance” pads tend to be squeakier than normal street pads. Can it be because they’re still brand new and I haven’t properly bedded them in yet? I’ve only been doing normal driving to and from work since installing them which I know will take a lot longer for them to properly mate to the rotors. Outside of the loud squeaking, the pads have been working perfectly fine with the upgraded f80 calipers and rotors installed with them. Is there a major difference between permatex orange and purple?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 01:30 PM   #17
casualDIYer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispydips View Post
I’m gonna try and apply this stuff tmrw then, because it’s pretty bad. I need to take a video of the noise, this is my first time driving a car with new pads so I’m unsure of what’s considered normal and what’s not. Granted it’s only at slow stop and go speeds, and I know “performance” pads tend to be squeakier than normal street pads. Can it be because they’re still brand new and I haven’t properly bedded them in yet? I’ve only been doing normal driving to and from work since installing them which I know will take a lot longer for them to properly mate to the rotors. Outside of the loud squeaking, the pads have been working perfectly fine with the upgraded f80 calipers and rotors installed with them. Is there a major difference between permatex orange and purple?
I do not believe the 'bedding in' process will affect the squeal to a significant degree. Additionally, I am starting to see pad manufacturers claim bedding in is no longer a requirement. My understanding is the squeal happens between the metal backing plate and the caliper piston. Shims are typically used to resolve the issue but what if the shim replaces the backing plate as the culprit?

I used the purple before but ended up switching to orange. I can't recall purple being bad but orange definitely worked and I've stuck with it since.

I'm not a pro so I will pretty much follow anything that looks like official instructions. BMW illustrates a circle of grease on the backing plate for each piston and a little bit on the top and bottom of the backing plate to allow it to freely move back and forth horizontally. To the best of your ability clean the edges of the caliper where the pad will touch the caliper (top and bottom). As for the 'Slather the complete sh*t out of the pad with grease' method, do not do that. The grease is both helper and harmer of the problem. Great for reducing friction but also wonderful for capturing brake dust and other road crap, which lowers friction.

One last thing. When was the last time you change the retainer clip? BMW says 4 years.

Good luck.
      10-16-2023, 12:19 PM   #18
Crispydips
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
I do not believe the 'bedding in' process will affect the squeal to a significant degree. Additionally, I am starting to see pad manufacturers claim bedding in is no longer a requirement. My understanding is the squeal happens between the metal backing plate and the caliper piston. Shims are typically used to resolve the issue but what if the shim replaces the backing plate as the culprit?

I used the purple before but ended up switching to orange. I can't recall purple being bad but orange definitely worked and I've stuck with it since.

I'm not a pro so I will pretty much follow anything that looks like official instructions. BMW illustrates a circle of grease on the backing plate for each piston and a little bit on the top and bottom of the backing plate to allow it to freely move back and forth horizontally. To the best of your ability clean the edges of the caliper where the pad will touch the caliper (top and bottom). As for the 'Slather the complete sh*t out of the pad with grease' method, do not do that. The grease is both helper and harmer of the problem. Great for reducing friction but also wonderful for capturing brake dust and other road crap, which lowers friction.

One last thing. When was the last time you change the retainer clip? BMW says 4 years.

Good luck.
I ended up going with the purple stuff on the back of the HPS hawk pads. working very well so far. Almost no squeak, don't know if its the product or just got lucky. Also I learned that the shop I ordered them from mistakenly sent me DCT60 track pads instead of the HPS, which is why the squeaking and brake dust was soo bad. I had to use them to commute to work, and also was so hyperfixed on getting my brake job done that i didn't notice they werent HPS.
Appreciate 0