F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 428i GC
Extreme Powerhouse

12-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
jkbrennan97
United_States
Rep
Drives: In the market

428i GC

Hey everyone.

Just a quick question. So I live in LA and work in Irvine so drive around 90 miles a day round trip. Thinking about getting a pre-owned 2016 428i GC to make my drive more enjoyable. If you were going to put that many miles on a car every day/year, would you consider BMW? A little concerned about high maintenance costs as BMW has a reputation of not being the most reliable car manufacturer.

Appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
SimpleJack
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbrennan97 View Post
Hey everyone.

Just a quick question. So I live in LA and work in Irvine so drive around 90 miles a day round trip. Thinking about getting a pre-owned 2016 428i GC to make my drive more enjoyable. If you were going to put that many miles on a car every day/year, would you consider BMW? A little concerned about high maintenance costs as BMW has a reputation of not being the most reliable car manufacturer.

Appreciate it.
If you're worried about reliability and mileage, just buy a Prius. Fairly certain the majority on the forum are driving enthusiasts, which is why they opt for BMW. It's about the thrill of the drive.

I've owned 3 and never had any significant issues with any of them. If you take care of them, they'll last. My brother has an E46 with 210k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Quote:
Hey everyone.

Appreciate it.
Will this be a CPO? If so take advantage of the 5 yr/unlimited mileage warranty from in service date and you also have the option to purchase an additional year of unlimited miles of CPO.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      12-08-2019, 05:23 PM   #4
jkbrennan97
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Will this be a CPO? If so take advantage of the 5 yr/unlimited mileage warranty from in service date and you also have the option to purchase an additional year of unlimited miles of CPO.
It is not a CPO, just a pre-owned. Asked the dealership about extended vehicle warranties and they have their premium 4 yr/100k extended warranty for $4650 that I have been considering.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

Is there any warranty left?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Hey everyone.

Appreciate it.
BMW is a great fun driving car. If you are going to daily drive it 25k miles per year you absolutely need an extended warranty. You could have no problems or could have crazy stuff go bad.

Why is a 2016 car at a dealer not being sold as Certified? Really dig into the reasons with them. Check the maintenance records carefully and don't believe that the car is perfect just because they waive a clean car fax. A dealer friend told me that they get idiots who turn in leased cars without having had oil changes even though it's free at the dealer! Then they can't Certify the car.

Whatever car you get, BMW only changes oil every 10k miles. You are better off doing it yourself or taking it to a bmw independent service shop every 5k miles.

Don't just take the car to a BMW dealer for maintenance. You'll pay ridiculous money for parts and labor. When wear items need replacement like brakes, tires, etc then read this forum because you can make improvements to the car with less expensive parts and have your Indy shop install them.

A source to find local bmw shops is the Bimmershops website.

BMW really are fun cars to drive. Why not enjoy your commute! Good luck!
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #7
jkbrennan97
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Is there any warranty left?
there sure is, about 12 months or 30k miles left on the new vehicle warranty.

Last edited by jkbrennan97; 12-08-2019 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #8
jkbrennan97
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
BMW is a great fun driving car. If you are going to daily drive it 25k miles per year you absolutely need an extended warranty. You could have no problems or could have crazy stuff go bad.

Why is a 2016 car at a dealer not being sold as Certified? Really dig into the reasons with them. Check the maintenance records carefully and don't believe that the car is perfect just because they waive a clean car fax. A dealer friend told me that they get idiots who turn in leased cars without having had oil changes even though it's free at the dealer! Then they can't Certify the car.

Whatever car you get, BMW only changes oil every 10k miles. You are better off doing it yourself or taking it to a bmw independent service shop every 5k miles.

Don't just take the car to a BMW dealer for maintenance. You'll pay ridiculous money for parts and labor. When wear items need replacement like brakes, tires, etc then read this forum because you can make improvements to the car with less expensive parts and have your Indy shop install them.

A source to find local bmw shops is the Bimmershops website.

BMW really are fun cars to drive. Why not enjoy your commute! Good luck!
Hope this helps!
Thanks Johnung.

The fact that it wasn't certified was my first concern. I asked the sales guy at the dealership what the reason was for not CPOing the car and he said that there "was no reason for it." Told him to ask the used car manager and the manager said that CPOing the car would have been putting too much money in the car and they just wanted to sell it quickly because it is in great condition (which it surely seems like it is). The carfax shows that the services were all done at the same dealership and at intervals less than every 10k miles. I have a friend that worked at BMW and he said that in his experience there were great cars that didnt get CPOd because it would be putting too much money into it. Still concerned but looking into the extended vehicle warranty provided through BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
Aldor27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
428i go would be a nice ride. From what I know, if it's a newer year n20/n26/b46/b48, there shouldn't be any major issues. Timing chain/guides were an issue from early year x28i vehicles (2012-2014?). After those years, the engines get revised crucial parts. If it's a b46/b48, I haven't heard any bad things about it besides it being slightly slower than the n20/n26. As long as you keep up with regular oil changes (3-5k mike range) you should be good. MPGs are pretty good with the 4 cylinder turbos as long as you're on cruise control on highways (expect high 20s to almost 40 mpg at like 50-75 mph). If you get a 4 cylinder turbo, make sure it's a SULEV model as you'll score a generous 10-15 warrant on emission parts (covers a bunch of things I can't remember, I'll try to link you to the page of stuff it covers). I owned a 228i which was pretty good on gas and fun to drive. Recently upgraded to an m sport 340i since si wanted the b58 & 4 doors.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #10
Aldor27
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Here's the list of parts BMW will warranty if you have a SULEV engine. They cover parts and labor for the things listed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0