F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Experience with 10.25" android 7.1 HU's
Studio RSR

01-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #1695
Ducvfr
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdin View Post
I already tried and nothing happened.
After pressing Mcu-Upgrade it says: Ready to upgrade, please wait... but nothing happens. I can just close the window and that's it.
I have exactly the same case. What kind of Android image u have? I firstly upgraded from default dated 20180828 to 20181128 (many thanks to German guy that shares his drive) and then I tried to update MCU from version CIC 180824 to 180921 and I get the same message no matter what. You have to feel very lucky to buy from Ali. There is zero support, u write to him a page describing the problems and u get a few irrelevant words for answer. Your are completely on your own. Anyway my main issue is an idrive like controller that came with the unit that works for a few seconds and the stops. If u unplug and plug again it works again for a few secs and then nothing. Nothing solved with Android upgrade and my only hope is with MCU update. If someone has to suggest anything else he is welcome. Sorry for writing here but couldn’t find any specific thread for e83 units although they are pretty the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #1696
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

Has anyone problem with HERE WEGO MAPS ? When I am in idrive side and hear radio while navigating with HERE WEGO the sound coming from the left front speaker is cracking.
Am I the only one ?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #1697
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by irose50 View Post
Are people having success using a GPS splitter cable? I seem to remember reading something about different voltages at one time.
splitter works but you have to start your car quickly from the moment of unlocking, if you slow android side will not trigger and car will not start.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 05:57 PM   #1698
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenRed View Post
I updated with this update, dated 5/1/2019.
Seeems all good, not so faster than the previous version...
It has inside the JLR mode as the 28/11 update...
The music app has some difficulty in reading the metadata of the music files in the usb, as the previous update... in my opinion the best update was that dated 20/09/2018, however I will check in these days if the music player goes better...
Do you have a clue what is JLR mode ?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #1699
sjoskog
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F34 & E88

Quote:
Originally Posted by koutsouk View Post
Has anyone problem with HERE WEGO MAPS ? When I am in idrive side and hear radio while navigating with HERE WEGO the sound coming from the left front speaker is cracking.
Am I the only one ?
No, you are not the only one... I have the same experience using Waze. This is probably one of biggest stupidities in the product. Every time it starts that cracking audio (e.g navigating instructions), it makes you think momentarily that something is broken, cables somehow loose etc.

I wish this could be fixed somehow as first of all the sound is cracking indeed and it is annoying that it comes only from left front speaker. When Android is in front of idrive, the audio quality is exactly as good as expected. I can't figure out why they set the audio to come from front left channel only when Android is running in the background with poor quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 01:18 AM   #1700
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoskog View Post
No, you are not the only one... I have the same experience using Waze. This is probably one of biggest stupidities in the product. Every time it starts that cracking audio (e.g navigating instructions), it makes you think momentarily that something is broken, cables somehow loose etc.

I wish this could be fixed somehow as first of all the sound is cracking indeed and it is annoying that it comes only from left front speaker. When Android is in front of idrive, the audio quality is exactly as good as expected. I can't figure out why they set the audio to come from front left channel only when Android is running in the background with poor quality.
Well when I use Sygic everything sounds very nice. Is it an app issue or unit issue ?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:21 AM   #1701
StevenRed
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 XDrive20d

Quote:
Do you have a clue what is JLR mode ?
Someone suggested it's the Jaguar Land Rover interface...
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 09:53 PM   #1702
drivef30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' 340i xDrive M-Sport

I have a like new ugode 10.25'' for sale if anyone is interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 12:09 AM   #1703
Geoken
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by losdamianos View Post
splitter works but you have to start your car quickly from the moment of unlocking, if you slow android side will not trigger and car will not start.
I have a splitter (CIC) from original GPS. Works fine - slow start, quick start doesn't matter it just works.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #1704
losdamianos
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoken View Post
I have a splitter (CIC) from original GPS. Works fine - slow start, quick start doesn't matter it just works.
on NBT android boot is timing out after 10-15 secs, I'll update firmware maybe this issue has been solved

Last edited by losdamianos; 01-17-2019 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #1705
sjoskog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Well when I use Sygic everything sounds very nice. Is it an app issue or unit issue ?
Good point. I tested with Sygic and the sound is not cracking like in Waze. However it still comes only from left front speaker when Android is on background of iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 03:48 PM   #1706
koutsouk
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Good point. I tested with Sygic and the sound is not cracking like in Waze. However it still comes only from left front speaker when Android is on background of iDrive.
The front left speaker is a fact and cannot be changed because of hardware I think.
The navigation apps is another story.
Sygic Truck does not output sound at all unless you choose aux as a source.
Igo the same.
Here WEGO maps sound is crackling.
Waze the same.
Is this app problem or eventcenter app of the unit does not let these apps function correctly?

By the way Sygic truck has very good output on the screen. Is like an OEM app navigation.
Try it and you will see. Also uses maps from Navteq which are the same as HERE WEGO.
It is a pitty that the sound does not come at all when you are in idrive side for audio.
Has anyone any clue for this behavior?

Also my unit sometimes does not output sound from left front speaker at all. For making calls etc. If I restart the unit everything is ok.
Does anyone have the same problem ?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #1707
Zheez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D (2015)

I've still got weird problems with TomTom on my Avin unit. The GPS signal is intermittent and it can take a while to realise where I am so it's useless.

It's confusing me because Sygic works perfectly fine and I used it throughout a 100 mile trip with no issues at all which proves GPS is working alright.

Anyone else have any weird problems with some GPS apps or any thoughts on what I can do to be able to use TomTom? I will factory it at some point when I can be bothered to redownload everything on there...which brings me onto another question - does anyone else find download speeds really slow on their units? I've even tried an Ethernet cable with a USB to Ethernet adapter which works but download speeds are still slow. The 1GB or so map updates for Sygic and TomTom each took a good half hour or so to download when on my connection that should be about 40 seconds at full speed.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:18 AM   #1708
Soney66
Registered
Rep
Drives: 220i Msport Grey

Hi all, so although being new to this forum I have read almost everything re:android units and wanted to thank everyone’s input as it made ordering one far simpler and lowered expectations. I had a 7.1 unit delivered and had several issues so have now installed the new 8.1 Oreo, I need to update the firmware this weekend as there’s just a boot up issue currently. Once I’ve done that I’ll post some pictures of my install and write up in my experience of use and functionality.

I’m also installing an amp with and alpine upgraded speakers so will get images and how I’ve done it too.

Cheers for everyone’s support so far
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:44 AM   #1709
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soney66 View Post
Hi all, so although being new to this forum I have read almost everything re:android units and wanted to thank everyone’s input as it made ordering one far simpler and lowered expectations. I had a 7.1 unit delivered and had several issues so have now installed the new 8.1 Oreo, I need to update the firmware this weekend as there’s just a boot up issue currently. Once I’ve done that I’ll post some pictures of my install and write up in my experience of use and functionality.

I’m also installing an amp with and alpine upgraded speakers so will get images and how I’ve done it too.

Cheers for everyone’s support so far
I'm also planning on installing an amp, I bought a Match PP82DSP and now I'm trying to get the cables for my F30.

Do you know if this could be an issue? On the main harness to add the Ugode and the Match ISO cables?
Is the amplifier using any power from the main harness?
I really hope I will not break the electrical system in my car...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:18 PM   #1710
StevenRed
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 XDrive20d

No one faced the problem that the mp3 tags are not well read? I found that if the mp3 file has a point in the name, such as "feat.", the tags of the file are not read correctly and shows unknown artist and unknown album.
In the 20/09 update this was not happening...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #1711
sjoskog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinbrv View Post
I'm also planning on installing an amp, I bought a Match PP82DSP and now I'm trying to get the cables for my F30.

Do you know if this could be an issue? On the main harness to add the Ugode and the Match ISO cables?
Is the amplifier using any power from the main harness?
I really hope I will not break the electrical system in my car...
I have BMW's Alpine upgrade retrofitted and it causes no issues with Ugode. Therefore I would assume Match does the same and works just perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 01:27 AM   #1712
natix
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m240i

I place it outside the car, at the corner of the windscreen. It can fix GPS two to three time faster than place it inside the car
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #1713
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I have BMW's Alpine upgrade retrofitted and it causes no issues with Ugode. Therefore I would assume Match does the same and works just perfectly.
Thanks! Do you know if the Alpine upgrade has a harness similar to Ugode's? The one that the optical cable needs to transfer to, I think its called ISO cable. If yes, where should I assemble the amplifier ISO harness, before the Ugode or after? CD player - amplifier - Ugode- main car harness, or CD player - Ugode - amplifier- main car harness?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #1714
florinbrv
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natix View Post
I place it outside the car, at the corner of the windscreen. It can fix GPS two to three time faster than place it inside the car
Is the antenna water sealed? Someone else placed it in the shark fin and the GPS reception was greatly improved...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #1715
sjoskog
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by florinbrv View Post
Thanks! Do you know if the Alpine upgrade has a harness similar to Ugode's? The one that the optical cable needs to transfer to, I think its called ISO cable. If yes, where should I assemble the amplifier ISO harness, before the Ugode or after? CD player - amplifier - Ugode- main car harness, or CD player - Ugode - amplifier- main car harness?
They say Alpine upgrade is completely pluggable, so I assume there is a standard connector. However I cannot say for sure as it was installed by professional workshop for me.

When I installed Ugode, I did not pay attention at all to how Alpine upgrade kit is installed, just unplugged the original radio and plugged Ugode's harness there in between.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #1716
irose50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zheez View Post
GPS splitter caused some issues with my Avin unit. The iDrive side worked fine but the Android side would almost always refuse to boot up and I just had "no signal" most of the time. Since using a separate antenna for the Avin unit it's been fine and boots up fine every time.

Not sure why it seems to cause issues for some people and not for others.
Reason for my question was I've been using the separate antenna for a while mounted on the dash but couple of times it has given a no signal or location on map is off(Google maps). Was just wondering if it was worth installing the splitter or not. Never have a boot issue.
Appreciate 0