F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > CarPlay MMI Prime (2014 328i F30)
Studio RSR

01-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
bodmon_leeps
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xdrive sportline

CarPlay MMI Prime (2014 328i F30)

Hi peeps,

Just thought I'd contribute info on a purchase I made. I bought the Carplay MMI Prime from bimmertech and have been running it since October 2019. It's on my 2014 328i F30 with ID4.

Install is pretty simple and straight forward, you can follow their youtube tutorial.

Here are the notable pros:
- Wire(less) Apple Carplay
- Wire(less) Android Auto (doesn't look that good though most likely due to a lack of optimization)
- Finally no more crappy BMW map
- The rest of my car functions normally still
- Siri works with the voice activation button
- It automatically starts when my car turns on (slow when it's cold)
- New tech in an older car gives it that new car feelish sorta

Cons:
*Disclaimer: I have never really plugged my phone into it, but I imagine the wired connection could fix a lot of the issues I've described*
- I've noticed that Waze doesn't always load completely, but closing the app on my phone and restarting it on Apple Carplay works (moderate)
- For some reason, my reverse camera blacks out from time to time - now i reverse a lot slower with the anticipation that I can't see. I could just go back to the old ways, but I've gotten too accustomed to the camera (moderate)
- I don't have a touch screen, so using the iDrive controller is kind of tedious but not impossible
- The odd time, the wireless connection is laggy which causes my phone to disconnect or the module to restart (rare)
-- Audio can sometimes be choppy, extreme choppiness leads to the above

Overall I'd give this a 8/10. There are minor inconveniences like waze not opening or the blacking out of my rear camera but this is more of an entertainment thing. It pleases my eyes a lot more than the software in the ID4 so I'd recommend.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodmon_leeps View Post
Hi peeps,

Just thought I'd contribute info on a purchase I made. I bought the Carplay MMI Prime from bimmertech and have been running it since October 2019. It's on my 2014 328i F30 with ID4.

Install is pretty simple and straight forward, you can follow their youtube tutorial.

Here are the notable pros:
- Wire(less) Apple Carplay
- Wire(less) Android Auto (doesn't look that good though most likely due to a lack of optimization)
- Finally no more crappy BMW map
- The rest of my car functions normally still
- Siri works with the voice activation button
- It automatically starts when my car turns on (slow when it's cold)
- New tech in an older car gives it that new car feelish sorta

Cons:
*Disclaimer: I have never really plugged my phone into it, but I imagine the wired connection could fix a lot of the issues I've described*
- I've noticed that Waze doesn't always load completely, but closing the app on my phone and restarting it on Apple Carplay works (moderate)
- For some reason, my reverse camera blacks out from time to time - now i reverse a lot slower with the anticipation that I can't see. I could just go back to the old ways, but I've gotten too accustomed to the camera (moderate)
- I don't have a touch screen, so using the iDrive controller is kind of tedious but not impossible
- The odd time, the wireless connection is laggy which causes my phone to disconnect or the module to restart (rare)
-- Audio can sometimes be choppy, extreme choppiness leads to the above

Overall I'd give this a 8/10. There are minor inconveniences like waze not opening or the blacking out of my rear camera but this is more of an entertainment thing. It pleases my eyes a lot more than the software in the ID4 so I'd recommend.
Congrats! I recently purchased the Andream Carplay/Android Auto MMI unit which is essentially the same as the Bimmertech (but a much lower price) and love it. But I was first using it with my Samsung Galaxy S7 and experienced some lag and issues with Google Voice Assistant's reliability. I then upgraded phones to a Samsung Galaxy S10e and everything works great now. My point is that the phone may play a part with some of the issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 09:28 AM   #3
bodmon_leeps
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xdrive sportline

Late update:
Module had a software update that I was unaware of. this has fixed the following issues:
- Waze app works fine now
- No more black out reverse cam
- No more laggy connection
- No more choppy audio
Appreciate 0